Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Roy Hodgson Turning Liverpool Into A Mid-table Team?
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
If Roy stays with Liverpool for another 3 seasons, I can see Liverpool becoming a mid-table team.
I'm not just saying this because of the results but his philosophy, his signings, his post-match interviews, his strategies are making me to say this.
Your thoughts?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Rafa turned liverpool into a mid table team
One disastrous season doesn't mean that Liverpool are a mid-table team. Though we finished at 7th, we were able to challenge all the big teams but now? I don't see liverpool beating Manutd anytime soon
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
They just beat Chelsea. I think Somere is right. Rafas Liverpool were badly on the decline and we all agree we had a rotten season last season, so rafa got sacked. Everyone was calling for him to be sacked except for me it seems. Now that he's gone, Roy came in and is trying his absolute best to turn the ship around, but it takes time. Plain and simple. Everyone who was originally calling for rafa to get sacked is now calling for Roy to get sacked, and saying "Come back rafa, all is forgiven".

As I said on the Liverpool forums recently you get nothing permanent built on shifting sands. Keep changing the manager every three months and you'll get nothing, especially in the long term.

I'm going to give Roy a chance and will probably stay out of some of the chats on the site here until the negative, hasty reactions have died down. Perhaps Roy will get sacked, perhaps someone like Hiddink will come in. If he does come in, we can expect a great season, perhaps we come second - but after that he'll leave and we'll be right back to where we are now.

It's going to take a long time - years perhaps - to bring Liverpool back up to the level they should be at.

Expect it, understand it, support your team, support your manager. That's it. Be a supporter
LyverBird (Liverpool) 4 years ago
"Everyone was calling for him to be sacked except for me it seems".
This is the phrase of every Liverpool fan who found out that Roy hasn't the quarter of Rafa's coaching talent!.
@Somere + the people who don't know what's going on inside the team: Rafa did not ruin Liverpool, the owners and Christian Purslow did
"This is the phrase of every Liverpool fan"

The difference is in my case its true, just like right now I'm saying I don't want Roy to be sacked
Katana (FC Porto) 3 years ago
Rafa started the agony and Roy can't fix it. Any pick up's in the January transfer window?
I'm not a fan who asks for instant success and but the team needs to show some improvement but we are going down everyday.The following are the reason which shows he isn't making liverpool better.

1.Transfer policies:
His transfers are just awful.Made 4 major transfers:Konchesky,Meireles,Joecole and Poulsen
3 flops and 1 Average.Totally spent 25M Pounds.None made any positive impact on the team so far.25M is a big money so you can't say that he didn't have money.
He also had 10M to spend for a striker but he tried to sign see cole but failed(thank god).So failing to sign a striker was his mistake.
He loaned out Insua and Aquilani.But now he complains that the team doesn't have any depth.
He included 2 of our best youngster plus 5M euros for a 29 year old crappy defender.
Also sold Nemeth,one our bight prospect for just 1M.
So it shows how poor his transfers has been.

2.Strategies

His strategies and player selection also sucks bigtime.
-Plays alot of long balls.
-Benches agger and aurelio but plays skrtel and konchesky who are miles crappier.
-He is not rotating the squad.
-Changes the player positions often.Maxi plays in LW in one match in Rw the next match.
-Plays maireles in the RW but he is a CM.Plays Carra in the RB though we have Kelly who is better in that position.
-Plays right-footed cole in the LW though he don't have any pace.
-Goes for a draw in all away matches.

3.His philosophy

If you read his post match interviews you'll know how poor his mentality is.
After the manutd derby he said that he already knew that Liverpool won't be able to beat manutd.
After every draw,he says that he was satisfied with the result.

Here is some of his atrocious quotes:

Link: www.thisisanfield.com/2010/11/10-disastrous-quotes...

His mentality is still haven't come out of Fulham.He thinks a draw is a good result in away games.He first said 'judge me after 10 games' now says 'judge me after this season'.
He simply don't have the quality or the mentality to be Liverpool coach.

4.His past records

He has been a BIG FLOP in his 36 year managerial career.People who call him "solid and reliable" after seeing his one successful season at fulham doesn't know anything about his past records.
I have a 100 facts to defend my statement.He has a poor win%,a poor away record.
For instance look at this,
'Roy has won 13 away PL games in his past 6 seasons which Rafa has managed just in 2008-09 season'
And I have a lot of stats like this to prove my point.

So in no way he can lift liverpool,the longer he stays deeper the troubles will be for liverpool
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
AND,  He was the man who kicked out the mighty Roberto Carlos out of Inter, so as a Milanista, I owe a lot to Roy!
Ltm017 4 years ago
He makes no sense in anything he does. Plus he doesn't know how to use a sub. Horrible I tell you. He should do himself a favour and quit. Also who does that? Who after a draw comes and says you are okay with a draw? I can understand "We should have played better and we just have to do better next time. " It doesn't where you are on the table if you don't win and even if you play great you can always be better. Really some of those games that Liverpool lost I think its because of him. I think his tactics are wrong.

I wasn't much into some of the stuff Rafa did before he left but Liverpool doesn't look like Liverpool anymore. Don't even start on the signings....

At least Rafa would have made better signings because he has ambition for the club.... I don't think Roy Hodgson has a clue what he is doing.... Either that or he is going along with the flow

Ambition.... Exactly!Rafa used to dream big, a character for a big team coach.  But Roy.... He is happy for everything.
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Personally, I find it hard to disagree with you. Though, I do think that a lot of the reason that Liverpool is where they are today is due to the previous owners refusing to put money into the club. That coupled with an out of form Torres yields a crummy start to the season regardless of the manager. I think Liverpool's real troubles began with the selling of Xabi Alonso. Such a quality player to have fall out with the manager, I was sorry to see him leave the EPL even though I'm a United fan. I take no pleasure in what has happened to Liverpool and really hope the new owner can turn things around, even if it does mean sacking good ole Roy. I think Liverpool will be able to come good by the end of this season, even with Roy at the helm. I'm not saying they'll get a Champion's League spot, but I'd be surprised if they didn't start winning soon enough
Let me also say that I was never impressed with Rafa's transfers. A couple that stand out but the rest have been mediocre at best
Sensible post, Agreed with most of the things you've said. There are a lot of reasons for liverpool's current troubles, but Roy whose prime duty is to reduce the troubles, is actually increasing it everyday IMO
Also, I like how there are now 2 threads: What is Roy doing to Liverpool?! And What is Rafa doing to Inter?! I just think it's kind of funny that neither club is happy with what they've got
So everyone should remain at the place that suits them. Liverpool are too big for Roy and Inter too big for Rafa, especially since they have won the treble the previous season. He should have accepted Juventus' offer
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Not going to get into who's a better manager but I don't think so. I think he's trying to use what he has but there's only so much he can do right now. Still early days, and the rot was setting in a few years back already. They should keep Roy and let him turn it around with younger local players who really want to play for the team...
'turn it around with younger local players '.... Nice idea but as I've mentioned earlier, He has already sold some of our talented youngsters. Roy doesn't prefer youngster. He himself has already said that he believes only in experience. Take this for instance, he had an option to pick between Carra(actually a CB) and Kelly(younger but a better RB) for the RB position for the stoke match but he preferred Carra.
Recently I've read many interviews given by our youngster that they weren't happy due to the lack of chances and want a move away
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 4 years ago
There's a lot to agree with in this forum so far. But to say that Roy inherited a top-level team and he's turning it into a mid-table team is pure fallacy. He inherited a mid-table team and is doing everything he can to keep them there (as opposed to letting them fall into relegation and go the way of Newcastle of two seasons ago). Immediate turnaround is impossible with the level of competition these days in the EPL.

About his four transfers: Joe Cole--how can you knock signing Joe Cole when you have the chance? Very strong player with a good track record, despite his injuries. It's a shame he hasn't lived up to the hype. Paul Konchesky--every manager who finds himself in a new job inevitably pulls players from his old job, and they're usually defenders that he's comfortable with. Raul Mereiles--easily the most promising Portuguese prospect for less than 30 million euros after the World Cup. Poulsen--no comment. They were all god prospects, and they haven't lived up to expectations just yet.

But, like with the Rafa situation at Inter, it is way too early to start throwing the blame around; especially to heap it ALL on Hodgson's shoulders. Wait until May, and Liverpool are the same pile of junk that they are now, then go right ahead with the manager bashing. But at least give the man a season in charge!
100% agree. Joe Cole was one of the marquee signings of the pre season. Any premiership team would have been happy with him on the team sheet. He's already assisted some important goals. Both him and Mereiles are inventive, dangerous players.

Give Roy a season and then feel free to be happy and satisfied that he quit because everyone hated him. If he wins five games in a row we'll see loads of topics in Liverpool chat "Roy the legend", "Are Liverpool going to win the league? " and so on. No, we won't win it, but yes, we will improve. Just give him a chance is all.

Both Cole and Raul have been average so far. The reason is they have been played out of their positions by Roy
Liverpool never had a top-level team but were always able to finish at top4 but now we are just struggling even to score goals. Just look at our good, you'll know
Jawn (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wonderful Post Rockerr, really. You lay out your points in an organized, unbiased fashion and I think a LOT of footytubers should model the way they communicate on forums around these exact strategies unlike certain United fans and the first post they make on a thread like this. *cough*

Roy Roy Roy.... I had a lot of faith; A lot of respect and only more hope. It's becoming extremely difficult though. There isn't too much to add to what Rockerr already said earlier. Did anyone look at those 10 quotes? They are really embarrassing statements to hear the manager of your favorite club, and for the player's themselves, the manager of YOUR club say. It's almost as if he doesn't care about the morale of the team; or is completely blind to his effects on it. Like take his criticism of Glen Johnson:

“He’s the England right-back and, if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in when he’s fit. But then he’d have to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed – very often at least – to the level I’d expect of him. You would have to ask him ‘do you think you’re playing like the best right-back in the country for your club? ’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ. ”

Who says something like that about their players? If I were Glen, I wouldn't want to play under someone who can't appreciate what I'm doing for them. Yeah, okay, I understand that players are expected to some degree to meet the expectations they create by playing well. But that doesn't mean you bash them when they're not playing up to the par you've developed for them. Did England win the World Cup? No, so why is Roy treating Glen like he's a failing Cup winner who's putting the team in danger with his performances? This only shines to me because of Roy's other faults, like his choices for squad selection. He criticizes Johnson for an under-par performance yet he plays Konchesky nonstop who has yet to contribute anything notable. I just posted in our forum about that, comparing Konchesky to Fabio Aurelio. Konchesky, this season, has played 13 games, with a total record of: 4-5-4. 3 of the games were UEFA cup, the rest PL, 2 of the 4 wins he's seen were UEFA cup games. Fortunately, his first and only PL win was the recent win against Chelsea. However, he did join us in the declining form to follow as the last 3 games have been win, draw, loss....

Fabio.... Has played one match for us thus far, I think against Steaua. It was a Europa match and I don't think it was against Napoli. Fabio has way more experience, naturally plays to get forward even from a defending position, and has come from much better clubs [Sao Paulo, Valencia] where Konchesky is basically JUST Roy's buddy from Fullham. I don't like that sh!T, because Roy is basically playing favorites for a guy he used to manage and then brought over when he joined Liverpool, over someone who's played for Liverpool since before Konchesky and Roy even met.

That's not cool, that's not cool at all. Same goes for Martin Kelly and Carra, which I think we can all agree is the same extremely poor choice made again. Okay, yes, Carragher is great and has a ton of experience blah blah. But that doesn't make him fullback or RB material. How many faulty overshot inaccurate early crosses does Carra need to put in before Roy asks himself "is this guy actually good for this position? "

This essentially is the issue with him bouncing the same guys around different positions. Like with Raul Meireles playing RW [wtf.... ] sometimes LM, sometimes RAM and why not, sometimes CDM. Whatever happened to playing a player where he wants to be played, where he prefers to play, to get the best out of them? Not just saying 'okay I want you here and I want you there' when you're telling a centreback to play RWB and a defensive midfielder to play forward on the wing. What the hell is going on here? I could go on for nearly each player on our squad except what, Torres? Because it's hard to argue that he is a striker. But at this rate, Roy is more likely to play him behind Skrtel.... As a keeper. Again, the site with those quotes of him said in regard to Meireles what needs to be said directly to Roy. Not to go on a quote-quoting spree but:

“He (Meireles) had two training sessions and played on Thursday night and he played again on Sunday so it is very early for me to make strong judgements about where his best position is. The work we do on the training field will show me how best to use him. ”

He essentially signed the guy not knowing where he wanted to play him and ignored both where Raul wants to play and where he is best played. This is not what we need or want from a Liverpool manager. It's generally ridiculous to be dealing with such petty issues created by the club's manager, and to me, that's what they are. Petty issues which bring down the morale and communication of the team, leading to defensive holes, lack of creativity in our attack, and a general looseness of the players who are unable to stick to what they're good at or familiar with because they don't know if they're going to be doing it again in the next game.

Please share any team ideas that are alternative or conflicting with my own, as I see the following as our best and should-be permanent 1st team.

Fabio--Soto--Agger--Johnson
--------Meireles-----------
----Cole--------Lucas------
---------Gerrard-----------
----Jovanovic---Torres-----
And when the players in this lineup aren't totally fit or injured they can/should be replaced by the following:

Fabio - Kelly // Soto - Skrtel or Wilson // Agger - Carra or Wilson // Johnson - Konchesky
Meireles - Poulsen or Spearing
Cole - Spearing or Shelvey // Lucas - Shelvey or Spearing
Gerrard doesn't get replaced. If he's not on the field we may as well throw in the towel most of the time. If he can't be there, we should run a different formation IMO because he is the backbone, worst case scenario Kuyt could replace him or Cole I guess; but really preferably not.
Jova - Should really only be replaced by N'gog or Kuyt if he's really not fit because he is a good prospect IMO.
Torres - Same deal really, but we need him on the pitch as much as possible. When Torres is playing, I think the front 2 should be slightly offset, with Torres leaning closer to the box and Jova closer to midfield, obviously interchangeably and with reasonable free-form movement. But if Torres is off, the strikers up front should be evenly placed and eager to score.

Bah. No manager should make me feel the need to type this much in 1 post unless it's songs of praise.

>=|
I agree with your team formation, looks dangerous to me
I agree with that, except for leaving Kuyt out of your starting 11. He has been consistently one of Liverpool's most important players because of his work rate on both sides of the ball. He may not get the recognition that Gerrard and Torres get (mainly because he's not a pure goal-scorer like Torres, or a true center-mid like Gerrard) but he is integral to the flow of the game. He is at the same time an outlet player between Gerrard and Torres, and an attacking player who is willing to chase the ball down from touch line to touch line. I think Liverpool fans (and haters) overlook Kuyt's actual contributions because he was mostly used as a replacement for their ailing strikers over the past few seasons, where he was, as you say, out of his natural position
I agree with you, I love Kuyt as you can see from my profile pic [lol] but despite his contributions I think that he is an ideal sub for a couple reasons. He has, if anything, the most stamina out of anyone on the team. I think he is a great person to come on for almost any midfield/fwd position who may be lagging behind. Instead of waiting till 75+ mins to sub someone out, Kuyt would be perfect to come in earlier and replace someone whos a little laggy with full-paced energy. He is energetic, which is a good addition to a game of guys who have been running around for 30-60 minutes already; he would be able to out-pace a lot more players than starting from the beginning and only getting a good break on an unexpected counter-attack. I also think he plays well in a wide area, like a wide attacking midfielder or even winger role, again to be out-pacing people. He has reasonable ball skill/control but he's not captain agile who will weave in an out of players, he's more likely to out-muscle someone or get away from them with more energy.

I also left Maxi out, who has been increasingly well on the field but I think our youthful and maybe slightly-lesser experienced guys have just a little more prospect behind them as they may [not definitely] want to perform more, to prove themselves to the club. Problem is, Roy seems to like keeping people who aren't regularly ON the field OFF the field. Players like Shelvey, Kelly, Fabio, Jova, these guys need time on the pitch to show what they can do. Not just in Europe either, lower-table PL teams should be meeting our guys who have less minutes to their name this season. I'm outraged at seeing things like Konchesky playing just about every game and Fabio playing one, because people who are performing get moved around through positions and rotation more than players who are not. Maxi and Meireles do well and they get shifted around, Konchesky does poorly and he gets what seems like a permanent role leaving players who could seemingly easily outshine them.... To just watch the game with whoever's injured
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
One thing i've started to realize about ol' Roy is even though he is a likeable/intelligent person it doesn't mean he is the good manager. Rockerr's post exposes a lot of Roy's short-comings. At the same time, Roy was thrown into a very difficult situation created by the owners. I believe that if Rafa had stayed Liverpool would be mid-table and Liverpool supporters would be saying 'out with rafa' in the same manner they are now with Roy. Roy is most definitely stuck in the Fulham mentality
I can't agree, because we're nearly over the problems the owners caused; the problems we have are tactical, with squad selection, placement and rotation and are concerning managerial decisions, not ownership ones. Also, I don't see Roy as being 'thrown into' any situation. He chose his position knowing the issues. He stacked his resume against Liverpool's and took the chair. I was commending him a month ago despite poor performance for taking the helm; he makes me regret it. I think if Rafa were still around a number of things would be different.

Things like: Aquilani not being loaned. None of the purchases made being made. [ie: no series of offensive attacks let go by Konchesky] Better candidates for potential transfers in, amongst other things I don't have the time right this very second to carry on about
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Fair enough, I will admit I don't have the same knowledge of the details on the matter as you
To say that your ownership problems are over is like saying we're out of the global recession. That may be true in financial terms, but the fact of the matter is conditions still suck as a result of some really shady dealings that were out of our control and lowered the status quo while not adjusting the standard. (I'm talking football and economics; sadly the two are linked, especially in Liverpool's situation.) Even though they have more stable ownership, and financial bailouts have cleared up some of their debt, they still have the same on field issues (as well as a lot of the in house issues that prevent them from going forward, many of which the public is far from privy to). Not that Roy has been perfect so far. Sure he knew what he was getting into when he took the job. But to say your over your ownership problems is a gross overstatement
I said we're nearly over the problems the owners caused and that our current problems are different from those. I know they're not over, for any club to change owners at the start of a season whilst in the relegation zone is a problem before, during and after. But to understand 'they are over' from 'we are nearly over those problems and our current ones differ' is a gross misunderstanding of what I'm trying to say. What current issues that are bringing us down or holding us from going forward were caused by previous [or current] ownership? The biggest ownership issue, which is a current one, that I can think of at the moment is the uncertainty of transfer funds this January which we desperately need for new talent which is only extended, if anything, by the potential for clubs to only spend what they earn in the near future which would be harshened by our venue capacity issues and the decisions needed to be made regarding renovating or relocating our home ground. I recently read that clubs like Arsenal make twice as much revenue as we do because they have a larger ground, so rules involving the government of our transfer financing becoming limited would be hurtful and essentially an issue caused by current ownership due to the lack of funds for the most immediate window. Damn that was a mouthful.

And please don't say something like 'we could have signed someone last year that we didn't who would have scored goals for Liverpool and put us in better shape but since the owners didn't.... Etc etc' or something to that effect.

What conditions still such as a result of what shady dealings? What status quo was lowered and what standard has gone unadjusted? I understand and agree that football and economics are linked to some extent, but I don't think it is the Liverpool economy that is our issue right now. What 'in house issues' are you referencing, and if the public are far from privy to them; where are you coming from.... You make reasonable points but they are all very vague so I can't really put much worth to them without having to speculate as to the details behind what you're saying and the specifics you're referencing
Sorry, I didn't mean to read to much into your statements about being out of ownership worries. Up to this point, this forum has been about wild stabs in the dark and the blame game (not on your part). All I'm saying about what the public is not privy to is the fact that big clubs are owned by wildly rich businessmen who only have to answer for their financial dealings on paper. It's a very political relationship that the fans share with owners, as the media is our only connection with what goes on in club offices. Organizations have mouthpieces who give information to the media and that's what we get fed.... Over and over and over; so much so that it drags down the morale of even the [once] most loyal supporters.

What I was getting on about between football and economics was more from a linguistic point of view than of actual business goings on--more of an explication de langage (comme on dirait en France). I'm not an economist or an investigative journalist, I analyze what people say and how they say it; and to that end, I apologize for not having read properly into your first statement!

As for ground revenues, that's a whole new can of worms to be opening. You look at ManU, who have a giant stadium, and an equally giant debt; not to mention some of the worst owners in professional football. Arsenal have had really good luck financially, especially since they built the Emirates.... Not mention a positive turnover ratio in terms of buying and selling players. But, that's outside of what we're all getting at in this forum, and that's that Liverpool are hardly bust. A shaky start after a shaky season is normal, especially with all the changes that have had to take place. They'll be fine. The club will survive. It won't look pretty for a season or two, but they'll be back
No harm done.

I'd love for someone to compile a list of the issues we can name with the club, who's responsibility they are and I suppose ideal results for said issues
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
I don't see how you can replace a 25 year old with a 29 year old.
He is still in the fulham mind frame. So he buys players that fit fulham quality. There are many young quality defensive midfielders, wingers, defenders and strikers that he could have buy to fill the voids at liverpool but he choose to go with players that no one else in the top four wants. Maybe its because he was at mediocre clubs for so long that he still thinks mediocre
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago

That's a wrong statement. If any top 4 teams wanted the players they are after at this moment of time, Liverpool will probably lose out in a bidding war or have their targets' heads turned.

@Juno:All the quality players aren't wanted by or bought by all big clubs. There are alot of quality players who still wants to play for Liverpool.
For Instance Arda Turan showed his desire to play for Liverpool. So I can't agree with you
For Instance Arda Turan showed his desire to play for Liverpool. So I can't agree with you

Hmm.... Did Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, and Man Utd highlighted they wanted Turan? If yes, I can't see why anyone would ditch the chance to play UCL.... To join LFC right now. Yeah, quality players are plenty. But provided no competition for signature. Because for a club not playing in UCL, it lose out in the long term
Yup.... But my point is that there are a lot of quality players to sign for Liverpool without any competition. But Roy opted for a mediocre one
Oh, that's a choice issue. He's clearly more at ease with names he knew...
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The problems we have now were already there, roy hasn't been given a chance to add quality to the team yet.

Transfers:

Joe Cole- by Dalgish
Jova- Bought by Rafa
Only player he brought in was Konchesky, Poulsen and Miereles.

And so far I'm not to displeased. Atleast he tried his best with players he trusted. If you ask me its the players that have dissapointed now, get Roy this Transfer period in January and Probobly another 2 years. And you will see a dominant. I believe in Roy. You can't forget the position of the team fulham was before his intro, he built a great side that even reached a european final.

I also don't like when liverpool fans bash thier managers so quickley, give him time. And some trust, he will make it
My only critism is handing over aquallani so easially. Atm he is doing superb and doesent look like he is gonna' throw away his form for the premier league any time soon. If you remember, Rafa had Masch, Beneyoun and even Riera last season. As much as they did on field, losing so many players means a huge morale attack off pitch.

If you remember last season, we had lost sami, Alonso and Arbeloah. Okay alonso was great, but aberloah and sami looked to be replaced, but it was the fact we lost them which hurt the team so bad
Aquilani is Italian, and wanted to play in Italy. He spent about a season injured on the bench, hated by fans for wasting wages. If I was Aquilani I would put in a transfer request home too
I understand, but he he cost us 20million, we could have used that cash to buy a striker or a more sutable replacement
Now that we have $0 debt, I hope we start to see money being used wisely
When Rafa bought Aquilani, he said he is not for this season but for the next 5 years. Everyone expect Roy knows it. He is quality, If Roy didn't like him, he should have sold him and used that money to strengthen the squad
I believe there is a clause on the loan that at the end of it, he will be sold to the team he is loaned to if they want him. We will see the money then
I know that but Roy claims that our team don't have enough depth. If it is so.... He could have sold him immediately to buy someother players or could have kept him to improve the squad depth
I'd be more angry about losing Benayoun to Chelsea, where he doesn't even get regular action. At least Aquilani is still owned by the club, is playing top level Serie A competition week in, week out, and Liverpool have the option (and the legal right) to call him back to England a much improved player next season. Benayoun was a playmaker down the wing for Liverpool, something they haven't managed to replace. And what did they get in return? Cash that probably disappeared into their former owners' pockets
Joe cole was signed to replace him but so far not impressive.
And though we have the rights to call back Aquilani, noway he is gonna' comeback. He has insisted many times that he wants to stay there
Unmecenfrance- I'm preety sure he had no choice with benny as he was looking to leave after the treatment and neglect he recieved from benitez. Now he is shadowed by chelseas first 11 (or is he injured?)
People are speculating why Roy is getting rid of players. If you look at his transfers, he is dropping foreign players and buying English players (Koncheskey, Cole), as well as giving the English youth (Shelvey etc) a chance in the first team.

This matches perfectly with the home grown rule, which is not so strict now, but in two or three years will be very strict. It's better to get a team of 50% british players now and let them get used to each other, instead of when teams are forced to do it. I can see Chelsea, Arsenal and a few others suffering badly with the home grown rule in seasons to come.

If you are speculating and suggesting that we should buy in Mata, Ozil, whoever, remember that this goes directly against what the English FA are trying to achieve.

Finally, the new owner has suggested that very likely he will not spend big this January but instead have a $40mill purse for the summer signings. If a new manager is in charge by then, the whole thing needs to start again.

In summary, Roy and the Liverpool board know more about buying and selling players than people in a chat forum
Wouldnt mind a more english team, I think we should bring back Murphy. I think a mature expereinced player like him will help liverpool through this hard time.... And he is a liverpoolian
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I wouldn't waste 4M and a very good youngster like Dalla Valle for a man like Konch.
I wouldn't waste 4. 5M on a juventus reject. (and the fact that Juve had a disastrous 2009 campaign makes it creepy)
By time that rule becomes strict Cole and Konchesky will probably at their retirement stages.
Are you sure he is doing this for fulfilling 'the home-grown players rule'? I beg to differ.
He sent out the following home-grown young player:
Insua, Dalla Valle and Alex Kacaniklic. How can you say selling youngsters as good for the future.
Dalla valle was regarded as next Torres. He also sold Nemeth who was regarded as next Robbie Fowler!
Roy is just destroying the youth academy, which to years to build for Rafa.
Now youngsters like pacheco and Chris Mavinga have registered their unhappiness because of Roy.
Loosing our young talents in the worst thing
Rockerr I can't debate with that, dalla valle was an amazing player. Probobly the most spoken teenager for some time. Was not right for him to be given away so easially
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Rockker you have to slow down. We're 3 months in to the season and your already calling all of hodgson's buys flops? He had no money first of all, and none of them have had a decent shot to prove themselves yet. What's more, while liverpool had a dreadful start to the season, the real liverpool is finally starting to shine through. Don't expect them to finish really high this season, but it should get better with each passing season. Rafa left liverpool in total disarray; to the point that it almost looks as though he intended to screw over his replacement and liverpool. Give hodgson a chance. Like I said, we're not even half way through the season. Its far to early to make any judgements
1. You can't say that he didn't have enough money. He had 35M Pounds from player sales and had all the rights to spend that money.
2. I'm not making any judgements but we are heading downhill for sure. I not just saying this, I've researched a lot about this and been following every activity but nothing promising.

Btw Konchesky and Poulsen doesn't have the quality, they are definitely flops. Cole and Raul have the potential but are not played in their preferred position so they've been average
Poor youth policy- this is one of the reason why Gérard Houllier got sacked. It took years for us to solve that problem not suddenly we are like what we were 4 years ago
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Alright to address your first point, 35 million pounds isn't all that much when your team isn't even in the champions league. What's more, just because 35 million was made off of the sale of a few players does not mean that the board made that money available to hogson (which is likely the case considering their financial situation during the summer).

Now I'm sorry but I can't resist this one.... "I'm not making any judgements but we are heading downhill for sure" I hate to break it to you, but that statement in itself is a judgment; or do I have to find a definition of the word to you. As I said before, you cannot say that the club will surely go downhill from here after seeing the results of only 3 months of hodgsons management. Look at SAF. How long did he go without winning anything? Now look at where he and manchester united are. You have to stick to your guns sometimes and give your manager a few seasons to work with the team. If after a few seasons the club has gone nowhere but down in the table as liverpool did under rafa, then by all means sack the manager. But as of now, roy hodgson deserves a fair shot at turning liverpool in to the team that he has envisioned
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
First off forget about how horrible or great the manager is. Why turn on him? It's not going to do any good. You've got him for now, so you'd be more helpful by supporting him instead of calling for his head.

With that out of the Way; Roy inherited a sinking ship. It all started with Hick's and co. It started causing distress at liverpool that's a main root of the problem. Another big factor was Rafa, I liked his methods the first season but after that it really went downhill. I was never really impressed and that added to the owners was like poison. The only reason Liverpool survived for so long was Gerrard, Torres and Xabi Alonso.

Roy came in and the car had just fallen off the cliff. He's trying to push it back up, but it takes time and he should be given that
Agreed!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football