Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Rooney "adamant He Wants To Leave" (now Including Dramatic U-turn)
Andy (Rangers) 3 years ago
Well, official confirmation that SAF and Rooney are now at loggerheads so it is pretty much guaranteed he will be leaving in the near future.

I thought it was merely speculation but it has been building up the past few days and so I am genuinely surprised it has come to this.

Follow the Press Conference here

The key questions are fairly obvious, so speak your mind....

Where?

How Much?

Replacement?
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Fuk adam-ant, he was crap singing that "prince charming" in the 80's.... Lol
3 years ago
Where? probably Man City, the hatred he is already being shown by Manure fans will only give him extra motivation to move across town. As a neutral, I'd love to see him play for Barcelona. Someone called me yesterday and asked me to give them a price on him moving to Liverpool. It took me a while to clean up the tea that came out of my nose.

How Much? I had a bet yesterday that his transfer fee would be over 27. 5 million. I'm extremely confident that there is no danger of the bet not winning.

Replacement Benzema or Llorente
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
You heard about the 5 million clause? Rooney has the right to buy out his remaining contract for just five million pounds. Also, Everton will be getting a quarter of any substantial transfer fee that Manchester get for him, as part of the original sales contract
Well so much for loyalty wayne.... Adios

Where? .... Who cares

How much? .... As much as we can get, although if city or chelsea don't come in for him, I can see utd having to sell him on the cheap.

Replacement? .... Louis suarez, or lorente
Azeal (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Loyalty, ask Everton about it, when you bought him you got the entire package
He was the one that said he would end his career at old trafford, so quoting what happened at everton makes no sense, he was a kid then, and to be honest, what kid wouldnt join man utd? .
He's not a man of his word, and I would certainly never trust him again, I have more faith in the glazers than I have in rooney
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Where? Most probably to Madrid.... Or maybe to City, Inter or who knows, Milan. (delusion)

How much? If to Madrid, 30M+ Benzema, others 35M+ I guess.

Replacement? Dzeko, Benzema or Suarez
Eric (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I'm still not entirely convinced that Fergie has given up trying to get him to stay. Seriously, where'd all that loyalty I'd heard about from Wayne. Is it money? Is it concern for the future of the club because of the owners? I mean seriously, why would he want to leave? Surely the prostitutes are much prettier in Spain but come now.... Alright that was low, but I'm a little angry at him.

Where: Doesn't matter.... He'll get hell for going to City or Chelsea

How much: 40m+ hopefully. Apparently there's a rule in place where he could buy himself out of his contract in the summer (for 5m plus some change) then become a free agent (see Webster Rule or Article 17 of FIFA transfer rules). Wouldn't that be fantastic? That'd be the ultimate screw you to United. Would he really have that much contempt for a club that raised him since he was practically a footballin' baby? I don't even know what to think anymore.

Replacement: None necessary. United need to sort their midfield before ordering up any new striking talent. The goals are coming from people they need to be coming from. What United need is a strong midfielder in the appropriate age bracket (too much reliance on Giggs and Scholes, we need someone who can play every game reliably). Van Der Vaart would have been fantastic but that's gone. I can't even think of someone I'd want; so stunned from this news. I don't think another striker is necessary, though. "The little pea" will come good and has already had a great start to the season, Macheda will begin to grow, and Berba is finally playing up to his caliber most of the time. But, if I had to pick a striker, I'd love to see Torres come through (but only if he could handle not being injured for a reasonable amount of time)
Theres no way back now eric, he's burnt his bridges mate, and the fans have turned on him already, myself included.
He's not bigger than utd.... Fact
This is incredible. If Gerrard left Liverpool he'd get a standing ovation in his final game.

I think we still don't know the full reason with Rooney and I suspect it is simply because Ferguson has blanked him and left him on the bench. There's a vast precedent for Ferguson going off some of his best players (Ince, Stam, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy) and they get sold on and usually flourish in their new teams.

My thought is that this will start a spiral, and with next season and the retirement of Giggs, Scholes, Van der Saar, Neville(?), and a couple of others, we might just see Ferguson reaching for his slippers and gin before the whole empire crumbles. I think he'd be right to leave soon, as a hero, before the billion dollar (and growing) debt and bleak future comes back to bite him
Zach (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I can't see him buying out the contract. Firstly because it would be the ultimate disrespect towards United, Secondly any team that he would want to play for could definitely afford to pay up for him, and lastly because the rule in place says that he wouldn't be able to sign with a new club until summer. I can't see Rooney just writing off the rest of this season to sit on his couch.

I really still see a way back for Roon. If Sir Alex talks him out of the move and to sign a new contract, I might accept him back with a good apology and justification in a press conference. The major point for me is that I haven't seen a single quote from the man himself! I thought it was all a bunch of crap until Sir Alex went on record yesterday. If he comes on record and explains himself, I might be a little easier with my judgement but the way he's turned his back on the club and Sir Alex is ridiculous and just disrespectful.

As far as price and replacement.... Who knows? How can you judge it on the s**t season he's having right now?

And I'm with Eric, how did we ever miss out on Van der Vaart?! I've been following him closely since he's days at Hamburg and thought he was a perfect replacement in that Scholes, attacking midfield role. I didn't really believe much of the stories about the finacial constraints imposed by the Glazers until I saw that VDV signed with Spurs. But honestly Glazers.... YOU couldn't COME UP WITH 8 million pounds!?!?!? That must be one of the best valued transfers in history!

Ok, I'm done ranting and I'll leave with some parting words....
I sat in Rome and watched as my team got outplayed and outclassed, watched as Ronaldo played his last game in red, but I've never felt so dejected and betrayed as what Rooney is doing to me now.
Its not impossible that no club will come in for him, lets be honest, theres very few clubs that can afford him, and do the clubs that can afford him want him, or even need him? , so he could be left in limbo for a season and a half at old trafford, which I would love to see, I don't even care if utd make any money from any future rooney deal, I would rather take the loss, and see him rot for a season and a half.
Theres not that much to be gained from his sale anyway, especially as everton are due 25% of any sale of rooney, and the glazers will probably pocket what profit there is anyway.... Lol
Eric (Manchester United) 3 years ago
The money is important. Whether the Glazers pocket it or not. If Roo needs to go because of some bullshit (god knows what), then let him go but sell him in the Jan transfer window. I wouldn't think it's Fergie causing these issues as in times past with Beckham and co. He seemed to know nothing about it in the press conference. I think Fergie has done nothing but try to protect him this year with all of the personal allegations. Steve Bruce said that's what he suspected was going on. Although I do feel some betrayal, there's no denied what he did for the club and I hope the best for his career elsewhere. However, if the sole motivator is money and not mistreatment, I think I'll lose a lot of respect for him. Who really needs 200k/wk to live?

Here's to hoping United can sell him for 40m. I'd love to see Forlan back with the form he is in, and I'm sure we can snag some talent from that Real Madrid squad that they don't need. I just don't even know anymore. I like the looks of the youngsters in the squad, but we really need some non-geriatric experience in the squad (no offense to neville, scholes, giggs, etc).

For the record, I still supported Tevez when he was leaving. Why not just pay the money for the quality striker? He went to City and I was still cool with it. But then he scored a few goals in the Derby match and I slowly started to despise him. Irrational? Maybe, but justified in my mind. He's the enemy now, and that's just how football is. It is especially devastating to hear this from Rooney who, as Tony has said, pledged his allegiance not a year ago. Sigh, I'm eager to see what happens and understand why it's happening at all
"Here's to hoping United can sell him for 40m. "

Then Everton will get 25% of that fee, as they still have a buy-on clause when United bought him during the "Once a blue, always a blue" phase. Like the Ronaldo money, there is no doubt whatsoever the money gained from a sale will straight to the Glazers, never going into the transfer budget. I mean - Bebe.... Seriously?
Mumbai (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Agree with Ant.... Nobody really knows why he s leaving. He is passionate man and guess - really not speaking out loud if ferguson did hurt his ego(which makes him what he is now - talismanic player)
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago

Chelsea does need a younger striker since drogba and anelka is getting older. Though not sure how rooney will do as a center fowward since that's the position chelsea will need to fill when anelka and drogba are gone. But I'm sure they can still play for like 2 more seasons.

Man City does not need another striker or any more players unless they're able to sell santa cruz and adeboyar. Tevez, rooney, and milner/johnson/silva up top. Well, there's still bilotti also who's injured.

Not sure if Barcelona need another striker since they just bought villa. They won't have the money for both rooney and fabregas.

Where to? Most likely Man City, Real, or Barcelona since those are the clubs throwing money away. Not Chelsea b/c they will go after Torres before Rooney.

How much? 30+. Eventhough idk why anyone will pay that much for an out of form rooney.

Replacement: Suarez. United still has Berbatov who's doing good this season. Then like eric said- united need to take care of their mids...
City will be selling Santa Cruz and Bellamy, and both their wages combined will be plenty for Rooney to get a huge pay rise as he slips on the sky blue shirt. What an incredible situation.completely unexpected
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Where- I think Rooney at Barcelona would be a bad move.... He's a boxer, remember. Although he could probably perform well for them, I don't see Barcelona wanting him. Not for how much they will sell him for.... City makes sense. That'd get everybody in Manchester fanatical. Madrid does, too; how ironic that the two most suitable clubs for Rooney to transfer already have some ex-United allies to welcome him....

Chelsea is somehow in this discussion. I don't think it would hurt, but I don't know if it would help. If they can get him to behave, then he could do well. But I don't think he'll ever replicate his best United play at Stamford Bridge. I think this move will undermine his career. Bad for Rooney, bad for United.... Good for anybody else.

How much- I would say no more than $40 million. If Madrid comes into the picture, make it $85 million +, as his image rights are very expensive I'm sure. And he'll need some extra cash to move to Spain, for numerous reasons.... (Spanish super-models).

Replacement-.... Is there one? United would be reeling from this transfer. They are not going to find an equivalent to Rooney any time soon. To fill the gap, they have great strikers. How ironic it would be if they moved for Diego Forlan.... To fill Rooney's shoes they will need a veteran striker, and there are none right now.
Just read he has a buyout clause- Rooney could make himself a free agent for around $8 mil. That would leave United with a ton of expenses. The article I read said $110 million, or "a financial disaster".

If that's true, United better start preparing. It will be hard to convince Rooney not to do that and leave them in a load of debt. Unless they repair the relationship fast
Everton have also to get 25% of any sale of rooney, so utd won't get what they want
Riggs (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Listening to SAFs press conference made me cry. It was a eulogy for someone near to me that has died. Ronaldo was so different.

I hope he leaves england. Seeing him line up beside Drogba sends shivers down my spine. Then again, the hookers might not speak english in spain so it might not work out.

Replacement - none.

If you want to cry, listen to Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/...

With some sad music in the background.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to know what propted Sir Alex to come forward about this. It happened in the summer, why now? (Perhaps a deal is in the works and that would be even more of a surprise?) Credit to wayne for not saying anything.... I guess? Very confused Riggs
I speculate that Ferguson asked Rooney to not go public with this, and then decided to blank him/bench him and lie about his ankle. If Rooney was looking for a new club, the last thing he wants future employers to think is that he has a dodgy ankle, so he very honestly just said that his ankle is fine, and he's not sure why erguson kept telling everyone he was injured.

That act of defiance probably sealed his fate and the coldness and fury at Old Trafford from Ferguson must make it a horrible place to do your days work (if you're Rooney).

Finally, Rooneys sister in law has brain damage I believe and is based in Manchester, so Rooneys wife does not want to leave the city. That said, it leaves man City as a very promising, lucrative move.

Imagine the billboards!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
this sucks. I would love to know his reason.

Where? Hopefully no where in england! Wouldnt be good for us. Either Real Madrid, Barcelona and Inter Milan would have to be the top contenders for me.

How Much? 40m +

Replacement? Luis Suarez or Llorente or maybe an pretty undiscovered talent
Too soon?    
Yes too soon.... If this actually happened, Rooney might want to fear for his life. Tevez was one thing, but Rooney is entirely different. Remember it was less than a year ago that he said he owed it all to United and he wanted to stay for life
Something must have happened that we just don't know about yet
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Boooooo!
Ltm017 3 years ago
This is a joke. Look at how one year can change things. Last year this time you couldn't tell a United fan that Rooney was leaving.... You couldn't even bring up the subject now this?

Rooney saying he owed United everything and all. Either way I don't see how anyone can say he should go to to Madrid not if he wants to keep his career. I don't think he will want to be hated more so City is out. Barcelona.... No not even the right fit.

Tell you what.... I can see him at Liverpool though

This is something I would have to see to believe. What I don't get is why everyone is on his case.... Maybe I missed something but is it because he hasn't been in form recently or something.... Cause if that's it United should give him a chance its not like they winning from left to right.
"United should give him a chance"

That ship has sailed. The fans instantly hate him now. Heaven forbid a player should say he is not happy at Manchester United, even if he is being treated badly. Apparently Rooneys agent is very close friends with a director at City. Who knows, that might sway things.

This is just more and more shocking the more I think about it. Who knows, Rooney might even go back to Everton with his tail between his legs. From Old Trafford hero to absolutely despised by his own people in two or three days
No chances from me ant, he's a goner, he could have become a utd legend, now he'll be a legend nowhere.  Pity
Liverpool would be burned to the ground if they tried to hire Rooney. Besides, I doubt they can afford him for a while more.... Besides, he used to play for Everton. Would he really cross two teams with one transfer?

And I don't think United needs to give him anymore chances. He has lost his temper in truly epic ways before, proven he is a giant child time and again, and still wants to get his way. I think after this United will be happy they don't have to deal with him in some ways.... But sad they don't have him up front.

And I won't say this is the end of his career. How many top-class players have gone through similar situations only to come to another team and play better? Mind you Rooney is leaving because of his childishness and impatience, but I'm sure Fergie requires Rooney to live up to his legend, too; I can at least understand that. I won't say this is the end for him. It could very well be the start of something new
The fact that he questioned utd's ambition was enough for me, I have never heard anyone question man utds ambition, he's talking out of his agents arse, because the statement I read certainly wasnt put together by rooney, he can hardly put two words together
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
With all the due respect to Everton, Rooney was a just a boy when he left the club. He became who he is in Manchester United.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Rooney seems to have decided to leave, somewhere between the World Cup and the new season. This is before the stories on his dealing with hookers came out and before his bad form was established.

My first take is that he had great expectations for the World Cup and his poor performance there traumatized him. I think he has come at some point to blame SAF for it. Probably because of the way he was handled in the first days of his recovery from his injury by the end of last season. The rest are just natural consequences.

My second take is financial. Rooney is a big brand. His name and image has been a financial success, while remaining part of a sinking ship. United are a great club, but their owners are failing it as a business. Rooney may have been advised to take his business elsewhere and may be in the know of insider info about a coming crash in finances of his club. For the sake of the United fans and of the EPL I hope that this is not true.

Look, in the two previous seasons, Rooney has scored only 12 goals in EPL respectively. Decent number, but nothing extraordinary. Then he had an excellent season which he could not finish because of an injury and in which he did not win the league and he did not become the best scorer (Drogba was number one).

Yet, he was being treated as an unprecedented great world talent. The English media and public opinion has been in such a need for a great English footballer that they were unwilling to wait for a second and confirming season before hailing Rooney as some kind of Messiah.

He is only a 24 year old and it is naive to believe that all his hype has not affected him. Followed by the cold shower of the World Cup and you have an explosive case. He is enough confused and hurt and has lost his belief in stern SAF. He is living a rebellion and wants out of the authoritarian shadow of his manager. He believes that he can regenerate himself in a different environment.

Finally I think that he is not out of form, he just back to his old and normal form. 12 goals in 30 games, his true and normal rate. Hopefully another peak in a couple of years. He should ask his teammate Owen about how a player can not only stop growing but even receding in his level and above all, how rushed decisions to change clubs can kill instead of boosting a career
Want to read something weird?

Eric Cantona made a prediction 4 years, 8 months ago that this would happen to Rooney in five years time!

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/...
The betting shops and bookies think a move to Man City is the most likely. Here's why

1. His agent is really good friends with directors of City.
2. His wife has a very sick sister based in Manchester and doesn't want to move
3. $$$$$$$$$
4. It would be a kick in the teeth to Ferguson, and he seems to have lost all respect for the club and manager for reasons unknown.

It gets stranger and stranger
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Even those City fans aren't this excited Ant lmao
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Cantona is just a prophet ant no other explanation
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Apparently SAF made a move on Colleen right after he heard about their fight.

Edit: that was meant as a joke, but to avoid confusion in this mysterious case I'll just add that it is in fact a sad attempt to cheer up
Well here is Rooney's official statement:

Link: www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6456970,00.h...

But honestly it sounds like a bunch of crap to me. It could be because Fergie is going to leave the club sooner or later but why not wait until he officially leaves? Fergie still has the drive and ambition, so there for the club does as well. If United end up pulling a Liverpool in a few years time, then maybe I'll forgive Roon for getting out before it fell in on him.... But for now, shameful

Kick4Life - changing lives through football