Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Real Madrid, Bad Transfer Pattern And Underperformance
Nykmeister (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
So looking at Real Madrid's performance this season in the champions league and even in LaLiga, I can't help but notice this habit of never taking the time to develop their team and always hastily let go of amazing players to buy whats thought of as the best players in the world.
Look at their transfers last summer, so many players that they let go of, are an incredible asset in their new team.
Sneijder arguably the reason why Inter are doing so much better this season especially in their midfield.
Robben, Bayern's saviour this season.
Huntelaar, one of Milan's leading goal scorers.
Van Nistelrooy, a regular starter for Hamburger, and a consistent goal scorer.

How come they never utilize their players well, even with a star studded squad they still manage to perform under par.
Team performace cannot be bought, it has to be developed, I mean isn't this basic knowledge?
Francesco2286 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I had a similar post a couple months back, because I had noticed the same thing, great minds think alike

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/general-chat/real-madrid-...
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
They are not smart. They sold Sneidjer and Robben. Those players are for me 2 of the top 10 players. Perez isn't that smart. They play to defensive. They play 4-2-3-1. They should play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2
VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
That team simply does not have a soul! It is unrealistic to bring bunch of new players every season and expect them to perform as a strong team unit. Take a look at Barca for example, core of their starting line up is coming from their own academy, and even if some of the players are different generation they fit in easy, because they are all products of same system. Maybe [C.] Ronaldo's, or any other Real's star, childhood dream was to play for Real, but they cannot have the same passion as Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and others have playing for Barcelona, which is basically their home
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Great points. Also, many players attain their status as the worlds best in part because of the chemistry they have with their teammates. Look at ronaldo at united. He was much better there than at real (though he's still be astounding at real and really has been one of their few bright spots this season in my oppinion) and that can only be linked to his chemistry with his team at united. He is just one of many examples
Sharpoon (Hull City) 3 years ago
If my memory serves me correctly this current Real team seem to be taking the same course as the last time Florentino Pérez was president. Yet they didn't learn...
Yep, exactly.... You would think they learnt their lesson, I guess not
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Maybe they jut have something against the Dutch?
Hahaha so true, I noticed when I was typing out the message, they are all Dutch players. Wieerrddd...
BIJACK (AC Milan) 3 years ago
VDV is still in the team though
I remember thinking when watching the Lyon game (1st leg) on a certain attack, Benzema, [C.] Ronaldo and Kaka all attacking as a trio, this cost over 150 million !
Certainly didn't seem like its worth it. Felt more like what a 15 year old would do with his team in video game...
One point that has to be made is that the players that left real all left to the serie a and bundesliga. Now I love watching the bundesliga, and there is little doubt that serie a is one of the top leagues in the world, but neither is quite up to par with la liga and both are completely different styles of play than that of la liga. Some players prosper in certain styles of play and seem to shrivel up in others. Look at kaka. He tore up italian defenses but just seems out of his element playing against spanish opposition. Has he simply been out of form since joining real? Nope, that's not it, because he has performed just as well with brazil in the match's he's played for the NT since joining real as he did in previous seasons.

Now I am in no way defending real madrid's tranfer conduct. I find it quite foolish if I'm honest. But you have to understand that when schuster brought in all the dutch during his reign, many of them just couldn't cope with the style of play in la liga. Van der vaart is finally starting to show his quality and has seemed to adapt and robben was terrific last year for real, but van nistelrooy had to make room for the new young strikers that real were bringing in. And sneijder was injured constantly so he was unable to show what he was capable of. I don't think robben should have been sold but hey, no bayern fan will argue it now and I love seeing him at a club where he is finally appreciated. Wish he were still at chelsea if I'm honest
Well, you make some good points, but look at Ronaldinho whos performance definitely dipped when he transferred to AC, one could argue that the italian league is harder to adapt to and has more depth. Ari88 makes a good point, the spanish league is totally a two team league, Barca and Real are over 20 points ahead of the 3rd team man.... Wenger put it best, when warning Fabregas from transferring to LaLiga "It's a league that is in complete disarray"
Ari88 (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Are you kidding, the the spanish league, is a 2 team league Barcelona and Real. I think SerieA is just as good as the spanish league if not better, I thought the epl was the best in terms of variety, but its kinda equal this season with serie a.
RealMadrid just think they can keep buying players until they win, that's never gonna' happen, sorry
I never compared the quality of the two leagues, only the styles of play. Some players are better at certain styles of play than others. Lampard is considered to be one of the greatest midfielders in the world right now, but he wouldnt do so well in la liga. Same goes with robinho in the epl. Some players just can't handle the different styles of play and in all honesty, ruud van nistelrooy and huntelaar are not players than can handle the freeflowing football of spain. Now robben and sneijder were just silly sales though
Ari88 (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
Yea, its true some players just seem to be better in a certain league, Henry (better in the epl), Ronaldinho (better in the spanish league)
Riggs (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I've said it before, real madrid is where great players go to die.

The list is a mile long.

Kaka
Benzema
Huntelaar
Robben
Heinze
Sneijder
Van nistelrooy
Cannavaro
Cassano (playing at madrid literally made this man insane.)
Figo
Zidane
Beckham
Many, many more.

The list just goes on and on and on
Agree. When a star go to madrid, his light will be dimmed
Not sure you can say that zidane or robben killed their careers at real. Both played beautiful football and revealed some true quality during their time at real. Heinze was already rubbish and beckham was overrated. The rest I completely agree with though
Lol, well lets hope that through the stupid transfers that they make, some players are able to make a comeback just like robben and sneijder right now, and Huntelaar too, they didn't get their souls sucked out yet, I don't think. Haha
Megoogie (Club América) 3 years ago
Notice how like 8 players from real Madrid are worth 300 million and 8 players from Barcelona were free since they got them from the Barcelona school and Barcelona still beats real Madrid
Bad Transfer? I won't say so. For Madrid players are more then just footballer. They are brands.
It's their marketing strategy. Investing in buying star players, so that they can sell many merchandises to the world. Their market is arguably as big as MU or bigger. Sometimes, I think of Real Madrid as a Parent Company and their start players as their sub-units lol

As you can read in some articles, it's said that it's okay for Madrid not to win this season. So, it's fine as long as they keep entertaining their crowds.

About the team performance, it's the coach that suck. Get Mourinho in to the team and they will be performing better
Actually its funny you should say that, because I read an article the other day which claims that Real Madrid have almost covered the cost of [C.]Ronaldo from RealMadrid shirt sales with his name and number.

Links to articles (Link: www.videosoccer.net/football-news/real-madrid-cove... and Link: www.rs.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2010/04/14/187844... )
Well RealMadrid seem more like a corporate business than a football club. I think you are absolutely wrong about the coach comment, because if you put Mourinho as coach this is whats gonna' happen, he's gonna' stop the excessive transfers and develop the team over a season to build team chemistry, then they can start winning; which supports the original idea that you can't just buy superstars and ignore team chemistry
I catch your point. I was just saying that his tactics will make Madrid a better team
Is a great article talking about just this, is about robben and snjeider leaving madrid
Awesome article, very true what was said at the end, its hard to keep players like them satisfied without being first choices. They're not bench warmers
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
They just higher the wrong coach

Kick4Life - changing lives through football