Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Premiership Vs Primera Division
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
In no particular order, I think the top 4 teams in Europe right now are Barca, Real Madrid, Man UTD and Chelsea, however I do think Barca and Madrid have a slight edge on their european counterparts Manchester and Chelsea.

Epl is more competitive and the overall caliber is slightly better, but I believe that Real Madrid and Barca are the two best teams in Europe right now. So lets say Barca do win champions league this year Even though most people think EPL is better all around, a valid argument could be made that La Liga is better simply becuz they fielded the better team. In the end it comes down to money and the EPL grosses much more than La liga, so that is why the bar is a little loower in Spain. However I think La liga is the best becuase they have the two best teams in Europe and we'll have to wait and see if I am right about that.
MDK187 (ADO Den Haag) 4 years ago
LA LIGA IS THE BEST.
As much as I can remember a LA LIGA team won the champions leageu last time.

Barca wil kick ass this season and bring home the big eared trophy
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well Barcelona are an amazing team and I cannot deny that but do you realize who have been in the Champions league final in the past 5 years?
Epl: Manchester United, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Liverpool
La Liga: Barcelona, blank, blank, Barcelona, Blank
Serie A: blank, blank, AC Milan, blank AC Milan
I really think we should have a game where the best players in the Premiership face the best players in La Liga. It will be an exciting game and the only problem would be that the players would need to play with each other to form the right chemistry which sometimes takes some time but none the less, I think that would be the most watched game in the world without a doubt
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Come on, we are talking about the league mdk187. Not the players, who cares if the players is good, the league still goes no where far. La Liga may have Ibra, Messi, Ronaldo, Henry, Kaka etc etc. But you still can't deny La Liga is better than EPL. See how many people watches EPL and how many people watches La Liga and you will know the difference
Amayel (PSG) 4 years ago
Moneytakes a big part in the success of those league(even money doesn't do anything).... More for the EPL I think
Amayel (PSG) 4 years ago
It's a just question of point of view....
The EPl is a good league one of the best in the world, Maybe the most spectacular with the Bundesliga !But EPL's problem is that they are too many players from other countries and it doesn't help English National Team.... Even the Legue is magical thank all of those players English or Not !

Whereas, The Liga got most of national players in this league, so it's a good thing for the "Roja" !
Moreover, the spanish football is more classy to me, less speed than the Epl but very pleasant to watch! Full of pass and good technic, but less spectacular !

I enjoy watching both leagues without a preference for any of them....
The Bundesliga, surprises me all time....
Omar (Arsenal) 4 years ago
The Bundesliga has been the most exciting to watch for the past 3 years, in my opinion.
La Liga and The EPL have the same winners almost every year. No real "Shockers", because of the money.
La Liga has skill and fluency, while the EPL has speed and power. Not sure who is "On Top" though
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
EPL by a mile La Liga has two great teams then maybe 2 good teams EPL is a much more exciting and competitive league with lots of great teams, outside the big 4 Man City and Tottenham closing the gap fast.
Look at newly promoted Burnley who have turnd Turf Moor into a fortress and have a claimed massive scalp by beating the champions
Monrovia (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Epl is better because of the speed of game
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Speed isn't everything. Watch Barca vs ManU last final again and you will know that without the ball, there is no speed to begin with
Big9al (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
This would be the answer which League is the best one. La Liga or EPL
Dream team La Liga:
4-2-3-1

Gk: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
Rb: Dani Alves (Barcelona)
Cb: Pepe (Real Madrid)
Cb: Carles Puyol (Barcelona)
Lb: Maxwell (Barcelona)
Cm: Xavi (Barcelona)
Cm: Andres Iniesta (Barcelona)
Rw: Leonel Messi (Barcelona)
Lw: Crsitiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
Am: Kaka (Real Madrid)
Fw: Ibrahimovic (Barcelona)

Sub:
Gk: Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
Cb: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid)
Cb: Gerrard Pique (Barcelona)
Cm: Lassana Diarra (Real Madrid)
Am: Santi Cazorla (Villareal)
Fw: David Villa (Valencia)
Fw: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)

Dream team EPL:
4-4-2

Gk: Petr Cech (Chelsea)
Dr: Glen Johnson (Liverpool)
Cb: John Terry (Chelsea)
Cb: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
Lb: Ashley Cole (Chelsea)
Rm: Aaron Lennon (Tottenham)
Cm: Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Cm: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Lm: Florent Malouda (Chelsea)
Fw: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Fw: Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

Sub:
Gk: Shay Given (Manchester City)
Cb: Kolo Abib Toure (Manchester City)
Cm: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
Rm: Shaun Wright Phillips (Manchester City)
Am: Andrei Arshavin (Arsenal)
Fw: Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
Fw: Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Comparison:
1. EPL (native players) = 10 (8 starters)
La Liga (native players) = 9 (4 starters)
2. EPL = Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, Manchester City
La Liga = Real Madrid, Barcelona, Villareal, Valencia

Concusion:
Epl is far better than La Liga
They don't stand a chance
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Actually if you add in xabi alonso into the subs (which he certainly deserves to be), and either albiol or pique starting over pepe (I don't rate him that highly) you do have more homegornw players int he squad than what oyu have down. And honestly, I think that spain lienup looks much better than the epl. Especially attaking-wise. However you are right about the variety of teams that these palyers come from in the epl in contrast to those in la liga
I think this would be the results if EPL top 6 plays La Liga top 6.

Mancheter united - fc barcelona 0-4
Chelsea - real madrid 0-3
Liverpool - valencia 1-2
Arsenal - sevilla 2-2
Tottenham hotspurs - villareal 1-3
Manchester city - athletico madrid 3-4

Epl would get there asses kicked

Barca WILL WIN chhampions leageu again
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Haha, these are ridiculous predictions. Chelsea loses 3-0 to Madrid? They essentially beat Barca in the champions league last year. Liverpool losing to Valencia?! What world are you living in, honestly? Arsenal v Sevilla? Really? A tie? You have the top four all losing or tying to teams in La Liga. Dream on my friend. We will see in the champions league this year
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Rubbish predictions.
My prediction:
Manchester United - Barcelona - 0-1
Chelsea - Real Madrid - 3-1
Liverpool - Valencia - 4-1
Arsenal - Sevilla - 3-0
Spurs - Villarreal - 1-2
Manchester City - Athletico Madrid - 2-2

Epl still wins by a long stretch.

Btw, you say Barca can win the champions league. It may be true but La Liga's standards are still up to no where. Just as I said, only two teams snatching the title from each other is boring, same old teams taking the trophy. While EPL has 4 teams
I think the top 4 of the Premiership is so great that they can defeat Barcelona and Real Madrid on their day. The rest of the Spanish league won't be very difficult to defeat and I am sure that the way Villareal are playing currently, even Spurs can defeat them
I think on current form, tottenham would beat villareal 2-0 to be honest. Just my oppinion
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Yes prediction ridiculous!
I say that on a double confrontation, the following teams will qualify easily. Generally are the best team in England. But Spain has the best players individualities.
Manchester United - Barcelona -> Barcelona qualified
Chelsea - Real Madrid -> chelsea qualified
Liverpool - Valencia -> liverpool qualified
Arsenal - Sevilla -> Arsenal qualified
Spurs - Villarreal -> Spurs qualified
Manchester City - Athletico Madrid -> city qualified
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'll jump on the essay bandwagon on this thread. It's clear to me that, team for team, the Premier League is the best league in the world. Essentially the top half of the Premiership has a chance to beat anyone they play in the world on a given day. Of course it's my opinion that any team can beat any other team on any given day, depending on luck and form. Anyway, Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea.... The list goes on. All have unmatched quality. As far as World Class talent goes, I think the leagues are pretty much split. World class talent on multiple teams in both leagues, it's hard to pick a favorite in this category. I remember a thread on this earlier this year, but I'm afraid nothing has changed. Even with the departure of Xabi Alonso and Ronaldo, I still think the EPL has superiority on the whole
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
People may Think my opinion is bias but I believe that the EPL has more world class talent than La Primera. With Ronaldo leaving United this summer and Kaka joining him, Ibra and Messi make up the other dangerous duo in Spain. Valencia and Seville are also notable but after that I can't see any other formidable teams popping out. On the other hand United still boast Rooney and Berba. Chelsea have Anelka and Drogba. Liverpool with Gerrard and Torres. Arsenal showcase RVP Fabregas and Arshavin. Man City now sport the trio of Tevez Rohbihno and Adebayor. And I could go on. I think my point is made
Blooob (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Definetly treu la liga is overrated because every year is almost same real or barca but the premier league has always suprises and this year is almost inpossible to predict wich team is going to get the titel (Man UTD, chelsea, liverpool, man city. Arsenal, maybe tottenham if they recover) That real madrid bought so many stars doesn't make the spanish league better then the premier leageu
Here is what I actually think. Like alot of people have already stated, you always know that there are only two teams that can win La Liga(Barcelona and Real Madrid) whereas in the EPL, especially this year, you can have a possible of 6 teams that have the quality to win the EPL. EPL is definitely more competitive because you can see a team like Burnley can even defeat the top 4 teams whereas you hardly see a promoted side defeat Barcelona or Real Madrid. On top of that, besides the two top Spanish team, none of the others have gotten close to qualifying for the quarter finals for a very long time.
World wide, I believe nowadays EPL is watched more than La liga and probably most people only watch La Liga if Real Madrid or Barcelona are playing whereas people are always watching any EPL game.
Here is another advantage EPL has over La Liga. The billionaires are more interested in the EPL than La Liga and that's why you can see Manchester City and Chelsea being owned by billionaires whereas you don't see that in La Liga. I really believe that if things go the way they have been in the past 4-5 years, most of the top world players would move to EPL than La Liga. The reason why Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Ibra and all these other world class players play in La Liga because when they were young, Barcelona and Real Madrid were always one of the greatest team in the world and they wanted to achieve that childhood desire. Hence they chose La Liga over EPL.
Also if you live in a country where majority of the people speak English, you would have 9 out of the 10 people watching the EPL. If your country is not an English influenced country, then chances are its either 50/50 or more people watch Spanish league than EPL
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Good points but I think that it's always a fluctuation between the major 3 leagues although Italy has completely fallen off the map. I do believe the EPL is the best league in the world and La Liga is second. However I wouldn't be surprised if La Liga again retained that title as history shows there are different periods of dominance for different leagues but that might not prove to be true anymore as the EPL generates so much more money than the other leagues, it might not be the case in the future. However, whoever will win the Champions League is never clear and one won't ever know who the champions will be until the game is played and a winner is determined. Heck, the winner might not even come from England or Spain. Also, a EPL X1 v La Liga X1 will also most likely come out 50-50 as the talent is so great in each country, that it will be an even match. So my conclusion is money wise, the EPL wins hands down, depth in quality clubs wise, EPL wins as well, however, the biggest games of the year will be FC Barcelona v Real Madrid no doubt. I think more people will watch the first time FC Barcelona play the Galacticos MKII than the Champions League finale as crazy as that sounds
Yeah I can't wait for Real Madrid and Barcelona to play each other. That game is probably viewed more in the world than any other game ever. The last time a game between Barcelona and Real Madrid was exciting was when Capello was in charge but with Real Madrid signing many world class players and alot of people viewing this game as [C.] Ronaldo vs Messi, it will be an amazing game
Will deffinatly be a great match. Messi vs. Ronaldo, ibra vs. Benzema, iniesta/xavi vs. Kaka/xabi alonso. Mouth watering aint it
ArmstrongCPFC (Crystal Palace) 4 years ago
Watch messi shine in that game, he's not big and flash he knows what he can do and he does it well almost every game. Also retrace your steps to the last time these 2 met, ronaldo played for the camera's and limelight. He thinks all the time about what other people think and if things don't go his way he sulks and moans. Messi sucks it up and gets the job done. Without a complaint. They maybe similar in ability but messi wins in professionalism everytime
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
La Liga is overrated.... Very true statement, see they may have the two best players but that doesn't mean the league is good in whole. And it isn't really apart from a few teams the league is no good I mean when was the last time you saw Tenerife beat barca like burnley did Man Utd.

The league may have some of the best teams and best players, but not enough not consistent throughout the league, this is the main reason EPL is better
Actually I believe tenerife beat barca in their first match of the season last year. And la liga has arguably the three best players in messi, ronaldo and kaka, if not the best 4 or 5 depending on where you count ibra, xavi, iniesta, benzema, lassana diarra, henry, or villa (I'm sure there are plenty more players that some may believe to be the best aside from the three I already mentioned or even in place of one or 2 of those three).

Now that said I do have to agree with you that it is deffinatly not consistent throughout the league. I mean just look at all those players I mentioned. How many of them play for teams outside real madrid or barcelona? Those two teams are unbelievably stacked, but the rest of the league just doesn't even compare. Hence I do agree with you that epl is better, but not by too much simply because those two teams, though it is only two teams, are simply astounding
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
True True. With that said I'd like to address another issue. I'd much rather watch an EPL game though simply because, The EPL games have better coverage and crowds. Watching a match on TV, They have crowd microphones, ball microphones more camera angles, better quality video and better commentators. All these things add up and make it more enjoyable to watch.

Plus The crowds are better and more intense, and they don't throw cans at people
Good point about the crowds. The only place in the world with better fan support would be germany. However it has seemed like throughout this thread i've been bashing la liga. I honestly believe that la liga is much more technical and it takes more talent in terms of passing and more footballing knowledge to succeed in this league than it does in england. So both are great, I just prefer the epl
We can not say who would win but I admit that ronaldo - ibrahimovic - Messi in attack. Waooooooooo
Add kaka, iniesta, xavi, xabi alonso, henry to that. Geez what an attack and mid.

Edit: I was just going to say Kaka but remembered Iniesta, which led to Xavi, which led to Xabi Alonso to Henry lol
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Which leads me to Benezema (bieng French)
That really would be terrifying seeing messi and ronaldo on either wing and ibra between them (though I think david villa would be even scarier). La liga certainly has the best players in the world
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Hmm how bout david villa and ronaldo in strike. Kaka on left, messi on right.    Pique and Abiol in defence? Lol?
Lol just don't even start with centre midfield containing any of xabi alonso, xavi, iniesta, lass, etc. My head is starting to hurt. The only thing the epl has on la liga in terms of individual talent would be depth and defence. Epl has some of the absolute best defenders in the world with the likes of terry, carvalho, vermaelen, vidic, rio, etc. But back to what we were both talking about, la liga, has no doubt the best individual talent in terms of attack
Wow can't believe I forgot about David Villa. No one can question that La Liga has the better attack in depth. I mean David Villa, Ibra, CRonaldo, Messi, Kaka, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Benzema, David Silva, Aguero, Higuain.... That is incredible
In the EPL, you have Rooney, Drogba, Torres, Arshavin, Adebayour, Gerrard, Lampard, Robhino, Ryan Giggs, Robbie Keane defence wise, EPL has the best defence in the world. Vidic, Ferdinand and John Terry are amazing defenders
Yea but only 4 defenders and 1 GK on the pitch at once and really only 2 100% defenders as there would be two wing backs who also attack depending on the formation, 5-6 attackers on the field, again depending on formation. Casillas, Puyol, Alves, Ramos, Pique, Pepe, Albiol, Abidal are not that bad either
No doubt la liga has some very talented defenders, but the epl has the best in the world. And reina, cech, and van der sar are not too far behind casillas. Simple oppinion I'm sure we can all agree on, la liga simply doesn't have the depth that the elp has
Waooooooooo many answers.
He has very good players in both leagues. The English league is very good (torres, gerrard, Vidic, Evra, lampard, drogba, fabregas, ....) but the real stars are in spain.
Just imagine this dream team....

Casillas

Alves puyol pique adriano

Xavi
Iniesta
Kaka

Messi ronaldo

Ibrahimovic
ArmstrongCPFC (Crystal Palace) 4 years ago
Cech

Sagna, vidic, terry, evra

Gerrard, essien, arshavin

Fabregas

Torres, rooney

Not to mention lampard, ballack, drogba, anelka, robinho, ferdinand, rosicky, , , , could go on. Would love to see that game though would be unreal, I think the team just goes with the league, what the premiership lacks in stepovers, 2 greatest players at this time in messi and ronaldo, general flair and overall good looking football. It makes up for in pure strength, power and speed. Don't think ibra would be doing much against that defence though do feel sorry for the guys marking ronaldo and messi aswell lol

Kick4Life - changing lives through football