Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Premiership To Hold Play-Offs
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
There are currently talks ongoing on potentially changing the current format in how the fourth Champions League spot is assigned.

As you are probably aware the team that currently finishes fourth automatically takes place in the prestigious tournament. With the same teams (Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal) filling the top four spots four times out of the last five years there is a desire to shake this up.

The proposed format would take teams from fourth to seventh and have them play-off for the final spot. This would bring more teams into the frame for the Champions League and increase competition throughout the season as teams will have a bigger prize to aim for in a lower league position.

Would this however weaken the chances of the fourth placed side? A side that was not the strongest over the season.

I think it is an interesting idea but one not all would agree to. In the leagues under the Premiership there is a play-off for one of the promotion spots and invariably as the time comes round the team that sits in the third position claim it is unfair that they have proven to be the third best team in the league and should go up as such. Teams down to the end of the play-off places disagree.

There is no doubting the play-off matches are very exciting and often result in a few shocks. Which makes for great TV for the fan and another payday for the clubs.

This potential change is a way off as it requires the current TV deal to elapse in three years and it will need to be ratified by 14 out of 20 clubs
Stevie2010 4 years ago
If it is put to a vote then clubs will go for it but it does seem abit unfair to the team who does finish 4th, it would however generate more money for the clubs who are involved in the play offs even if they did not finish in the 4th position
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I love the idea. Playoffs for sports over in the USA are almost always exciting and provide some real shockers on a regular basis. As the table stands right now, all of those teams would compete and be a strong side in the Champions League. It also gives more incentive for "lower" level teams in the EPL to make that extra push to hit the top 7 instead of just saying, "oh we're above relegation" at the end of the season. I would enjoy seeing Birmingham City attempting to make it to the champions league.

It would be awesome in my opinion. All that being said, I would hate it when Arsenal finishes 4th. Haha
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It wouldn't work, because then teams won't be any more encouraged to be higher than 7th because that would mean a playoff spot. I mean teams are just going to aim for 7th or 6th just to get into the playoffs for the champions league. Teams that finish 3rd or 4th will be angry if they lose a playoff and miss out on the champions league despite finishing in such a high position. Like in MLS, the regular season doesn't really matter, only to get a playoff spot and even if a team finishes first, you still don't win anything. Sure it will be exciting to see some playoff upsets but it wouldn't work. I mean seeing teams try to break into the top four this season is every bit as exciting
JayCutler69 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah it'll make the season boring as hell
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Though I do like the idea. It gives clubs the opportunity to break into the top four, I don't know if its all such a good idea. First of all there's fixture congestion. One of those clubs will likely already be participating in the champions league, thus if that team is able to make it to the semi's and finals they will have a very, very difficult time. This could also diminish the quality in the league due not only to fatigue but also to the fact that when a team does not make it into the champions league they can not sustain a world class squad due to a lack of funds. So each time a team does not make it into the champions league they would either have to sell some players or gamble by taking out loans which may or may not be payed off depending on if they make it to the champions league the next year or not. Thus this idea could increase the economic woes already prevailent in englands top flight.

All these reasons just make the idea not work. Not to mention this would not be fair, nor would it be consistent with the rest of the league, to the team that does place 4th in the standings as that team would have been the most consistent and would have been the best team throughout the season, thus deserving the place in the champions league the next season. If we start a play-off system for the 4th champions league spot, whats to stop football from becoming all about the play-off's like sports in the states (who cares about regular season games in americanized sports, like really). This play-oof system for the 4th champions league spot would not be fair for those teams in the relegation battle or the ones in the title race. I like the idea, but they need to turn to something other than a play-off system
Stevie2010 4 years ago
I say leave it as it is the forth spot is exciting this season and the team who ends there deserves to be in the champions league, and a good point was made regarding a team could be in the final stages of a champions league and be involved in play offs to compete in the next champions league, not fair and far to many games
YDDUB (Manchester United) 4 years ago
If you're against it does that mean there should no longer be a playoff for promotion?
I honestly don't beleive that there should be a play-off for promotion either. Its just not fair to that most consistent team that makes it to the third place
Stevie2010 4 years ago
Its all about the money
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 4 years ago
It's a silly idea. Just like the play offs in the other divisions. The team that finished the highest over the course of the season, is the most deserving team. All this does, is allow teams, that during the season, weren't as good, fluke past the better teams, and take an undeserved spot in top European competition.

Besides, positions five through seven have traditionally been enough to qualify for the Europa League, so, isn't that good enough for them?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
This is a good point, Will the current Europa league spot fall to the loser of the play-off or will it still fall to the teams in fifth or sixth if they fail to win the play-off?
Take a look at derby making it into the premier league. They were in 6th I believe yet they won the play-off. Was it fair? Hardly
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Agreed. No longer how many games you win but rather which ones you win. Don't like the playoff idea
Fussball (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I think that's baseless, and comical in nature. How can they bring into contention number 7 team with a top 4 team. That will eventually devalue the premier league nominations for the Champions league. And moreover the playoffs' talks deserve a strict No cause, they would be held to attract more global audience in countries like USA, very far from the home and away kind of playoffs. The team that toiled hard for 38 games don't deserve this cruel examination to pass before appearing for champs!
JayCutler69 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I heavily second that!
AbbeyC 4 years ago
While I like the idea of bringing in greater competition to the top four, it is grossly unfair on the team that finishes fourth to then have to replay the teams they have shown themselves superior to over the course of the season. Furthermore, assuming the seventh placed team does qualify via the proposed play-offs, are they really likely to be able to compete against the likes of Lyon, Bayern Munich, let alone AC Milan or Real Madrid
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Brilliant idea. I think this would do perfectly with the current fight for that last Champions League spot. Of course, there is advantages and disadvantages.

Firstly, my view, is of course that this idea is a great one. I would love to see teams going head to head for the champions league spot, it would make the english teams in the Champions League vary, because there will be surprises. Of course, like Abbey see above, it would be extremely unfair on the team that finishes fourth having to replay all the teams to make sure, or even lose their place. It would also mess up the Europa League Places because if all teams from 4th to 7th are playing them, where would the Europa place come into that? Nowhere. It is a great thought, but it would take some discussing before they work their way around it.

The Advantages
*More exciting for TV viewers
*More excitement between teams
*Fiercer games

The dis-advantages
*Europa league Spot issue
*Disappointment if 4th placed team lose

Summary:

I think overall it is of course a brilliant plot but there are loads of issues I have probably missed out on aswell as in disadvantages
I think you can add economic pressure and a decline of the quality we currently see in english football today to that list of dissadvantages which thus lowers the tv ratings and therefore the EPL and it's teams make less money
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
The quality of football would probably increase actually with more incentives for teams to push towards the end of the season making for exciting finishes...
Sevx1 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
But they would not deserve it
To torresbounce, the quality of play would decrease because teams would be losing ALOT of money. Say you commit a large amount of money to pay the wages of players in a hope to make it into the champions league and doesn't make it, they just lost millions of pounds and probably put themselves into even more debt. With that debt, that team will not be able to compete in the transfer market possibly for a few seasons. As time goes on more and more teams would do the same thing (lets face it, teams don't seem to learn from the mistakes of others) thus decreasing the level of play for the whole league
Horrible logic there.... The same amount of teams would be in the top 4 haha
Ltm017 4 years ago
Ridiculous idea. Simple as that. I don't see how anyone can think this is a good idea. If the fourth place team have to play other then guess what ALL teams in the position 1-7 should play each other. Its not fair and just such a ridiculous idea! Why should a team that is 7th play a team that is 4 who fought hard for their position. Why should they have to play extra matches for something that should have already qualified for?

People are talking about this is a good idea but when your team is fourth and in a close match were they fought all season for and then lose I would like to see how much of a great idea it is. No free passes you want it work hard for it. People already complain about extra 2/3 min added on in a match.... What the heck is this?

I'm not going to run a race and someone tell me because I come in forth I have to play against the 5th, 6th and 7th place runners to actually get my forth place prize....

Did anyone even think about the players in this.... Nnnooo why would top players want to be put out from something they work hard for! If they want to do this do it in some other competition(within England) not a European Competition

Sevx1 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I do like the sound of this idea. Maybe if it was 5 to 10th for the europa leauge instead.

Champions league deserves the best teams in the leauge if you can 4th you deserve it. Not if your 5th
I think the 3rd placed team should be automatically in the champs league and then the 4th best team would go into a playoff series with the 5th team.... Maybe over two legs. Often only one game will make the difference between 4th and 5th place so it would probably make it fairer if they had a couple of games to decide it, they could even make it that the playoff would only happen if they are within a certain no. Of points like 5.... This would make for more exciting football coming with more incentives for lower teams
Lasadajohnson (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I think it would be a great idea, maybe not 4-7 since the 4th place team probably worked a lot harder than the 7th. I think 5th and 6th duking it out for a shot against the seeded 4th would be a better idea(2 legs for both). If a battered 5th/6th place can take down a 4th they might just deserve the slot. It leaves incentive to get the 4th slot as well as adding the excitement/agony of a playoff. I see people arguing about the fairness of this assuming that the 4th place team will always be the better team but I disagree. Being the better team is not a black and white matter, there can be detrimental injuries or your strike force went on international duty and cost the team points, etc
The 4th place team may work harder than the one in 7th, yet it is not likely. If anything the 4th place team will underestimate the 7th placed team and thus not work as hard
One of the things that really gets me is what happens if there is a 10 point difference between that 4th place tam and the 5th place one. Its not like we haven't seen that before. In fact its only been until recently that any team outside the top four would even be considered a contender to make it out of the group stages if given the chance to compete in the champions league

Kick4Life - changing lives through football