Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Premier League Classic XI
Prophet88 (Manchester United) 1 year ago
--------------------p. Schmeichel-----------------------

G. Neville----R. Ferdinand-----J. Terry----D. Irwin

D. Beckham-----P. Scholes-----R. Keane-----R. Giggs

-----------------a. Shearer----T. Henry---------------

I know most of you see this as biased selection but I just cannot see past any of my picks as to what they have achieved and their influence towards their team.

And even with that I am omitting some of the best players to ever have played in PL.
You cannot say I am biased because I didn't put Cantona in it. The man single-handedly kick-started the new United era. Of the 5 seasons he played at United we won 4 titles with 2 doubles and the only season we didn't win the title was because he was suspended for 8 months.

The bbc pundits selection was good but I tweaked my team a bit taking into consideration how influential those players were in their entire stay at the PL.

So in that regard G. Neville has easily been the best RB of the last 2 decades.... Nobody would deny that including our rivals. Also the reason they went for Dixon over GNev is because he works there.... Lol

Beckham over Ronaldo just because he had more of a impact than the latter.

Roy Keane is the most successful Captain in Premier League history and you need a strong character like him in the team.... No offense to Viera, and also since they didn't wanted an all United midfield they picked Viera.

I know I took Bergkamp out and didn't like it either but you cannot have a Premier League Classic XI without its all time leading scorer. That's why I didn't replace Henry with Cantona just to balance things out.

All the other Selections and picks are almost undebatable and cannot be argued upon as to why they are there
Achiox (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Beckham was a good choice. I personally have a hard time choosing the forwards, just because Bergkamp and Henry both brought something different to Arsenal and are still both legends
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 1 year ago
I'd better go back to school....  
Volpz (Arsenal) 1 year ago
"They have only picked 2 players that are still in the PL today so I think that is a fair limitation for us to pick our classic XI teams too. "

They did?
ManUK (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Yea… if by two players he means twice that many. I count four
Deffyduck (Arsenal) 1 year ago
For those members based in the UK, watch this clip from MOTD and share your views on the team they picked and give your own personal classic XI:

Link: www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17823283

For those members who cannot view the video because they do not live in the UK, former players-turned-pundits Mark Lawrenson and Paul Ince have picked out their top 11 players in the last 20 years. This is the team they agreed on:

--------------------p. Schmeichel-----------------------

L. Dixon----R. Ferdinand-----J. Terry----D. Irwin

See. Ronaldo----P. Scholes----P. Viera----R. Giggs

-----------------d. Bergkamp----T. Henry---------------

They have only picked 4 players that are still in the PL today so I think that is a fair limitation for us to pick our classic XI teams too.

Who makes your team?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football