Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Peace In The Middle East
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
So I recently read an article on foxsoccerchannel.com (I know it's unreliable) about Platini claiming that soccer could help bring peace to the Middle East if the quality of football is increased. He also states that soon, Israel may be in contention to host a big tournement, so long as it raises the quality of stadiums and improves its security. Anyways my question is, do you believe that if a world cup were to ever be held (remember I am saying "if, " I know it will probably never happen) in a middle eastern country, could it help bring peace to the area?
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
Hopefully football will bring peace in the Middle East and unite them more, but like you said, I don't see it happening
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 5 years ago
In the Middle East there are the occupation of one country (israel) to another (Palestine), so this does not solve by football but by political, & it impossible to establish a World Cup in Palestine or Iraq of incompetence security
Thefc3 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
NO ONE wrote about occupation ! Because people like you problem would never be solved ! For example - in maccabi haifa - who plays in the champions league this year they have an Arab player - and a very good promising one. If people would put to the side the political aspect and play football maybe things would get better - it works with kids cos they have a peace game couple of times a year !
Thefc I believe shghal was simply saying that a world cup could not be held in the middle east do to the stresses that are being seen throughout the area. I don't believe he was saying that middle eastern players cannot achieve as much as players from other nations
It is very nice from you to explain!  But he wrote that because the occupation its impossible?!?!?!?!?!?  W T F?!
He said it is impossible to hold a world cup there. Which is true to an extent. Fifa would not likely put a world cup in an area that many people would be afraid to go to (not saying I would be afriad to go there but many people would be; stereotypes remember) since then fifa would make less money. Don't forget fifa is an organization that is in it for the money as much as the football
Blueskiesahead answer about Thefc3`s comments exactly as I will answer them.

Thanks Blueskiesahead & also Thefc3

And i`m sure that everyone understands my view
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
The Middle East hasn't ever really seen an impact on football and none of their teams really qualify for big tournaments, and aren't even really known. I hope one day that it good happen and we could have a team like Madagascar competing against the likes of Brazil and Spain. But unfortunately guys, I don't think it will happen soon. It could do in the far future, but for me it's not going to happen in the next ten years. Sorry to disappoint all you who want it to happen, and I'm not saying that I do as well, but really, we don't see them play.

And the real question stated - for me, it could bring peace to the place. Israel and Afghanisan and Egypt and those lot have been involved in some nasty stuff over the years and I don't like to see it. So maybe football could make a difference. But that is only if...
Well israel doesn't have that bad of a team. And neither does egypt and after iraq won the asian cup you can't say that they aren't decent either. They simply arent televised very often
Sorry Yogan....  But You are ignorant.
You are the ignorant! Again maccabi haifa plays in the champions league? What can be better then that? BTW Israel and Egypt have peace for many years and so is Jordan.
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I don't have much faith in the plans of Platini It is still to dangers to hold a tournement there. This conflict is going on for ages so if football is the anwser for peace I don't think so
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
Nah I reckon the United Arab Emirates can host a major tournament without any problems
Blooob (Liverpool) 5 years ago
No I meant in Isreal there is too dangers
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
You would have to question yourself and ask yourself, has any sports brought peace between two states? Has Olympics, football, baseball, cricket, basketball or any other sport change the way people think about each other or will during the game, the two states hate each other more when they lose a game or show outburst during the game. I really don't think the matter will be resolved through sports, it might bring a few people close to each other but it would have to be beyond sports to bring peace especially since it has never worked to a big effect in the past
American football and basketball have had a hand in bringing equality between blacks and whites. Baseball has done the same between hispanics and whites. Why can't football change the look of the middle east?
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I would love to think so, Qatar have made a large bid for the world cup to come to the Middle East in 2018 Who knows it could bring peace, I wish it would
Yes it definatly would be great
   Austin Tyrrell you must named your topic : Peace in Palestine not in The Middle East  
Where is Palestine? I don't see it on the Google map !  
Except I don't just mean palestine. Lets face it, no matter who you believe is the cause (whether it be americans, or palestines, or iranians, etc. Really does not matter) there is unrest in many of these countries. Sure egypt doesn't have many problems, sure jordan doesn't have many problems, but there is still unrest and when there is unrest, as history shows, the is a lack of peace. Hence my topic is about the whole middle eastern area, not just one or two countries
Yes, you are right Blueskiesahead.
I want show that there are many countries in the middle east have peace & hold tournaments before like Egypt - Jordan - Qatar - UEA - Turkia
Aliko (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Football would help to make peace in this area.... But the conflict in the Middle East is so complex and I think that football will not have the ability to solve this problem.... Israel is the problem and its occupation of lebanese, palestinian and syrian soil! The people there are risking their lives to regain their soil back. And I'm one who was in Lebanon at 2006 when Israel started their war against Lebanon.... And the whole world watched how citizens mostly children and women were killed by the opressor Israel!
No doubt that any one sport cannot fix a problem like this, but surely it can help. And that is what my question is, can football help bring out peace in this area. Good post though. I feel for you. I have many friends who were there and moved to my area because of it
As I said: Football would help.... But political peace is a necessary in order to make football events there.... There is so much tension between the people
Good point. Didn't notice that
Maybe football would release the tension
I think the Middle East needs many football camps to find talents.... There are of course talents but unexplored! I would be very happy when someone can build something professional there like the Aspire Academy
From your mouth to god!  If people would put the effort on the green field instead the battle field it would make the difference.  JR
Now I know that this can be a touchy subject, but please do not allow yourselves to be offended by the oppinions of others. That is what this thread is here for: to allow people to state their oppinions and debate on this topic. Hence dissagreeing is fine, just please lets keep the tempers controlled and be respectful towards others oppinions. Thanks
Did someone brake the rules?
Rules a made to be broken
Lol there have been a few examples
Hhhhhh      Yes    I agree, Blueskiesahead
Scottie (Manchester City) 5 years ago
Football has proved itself to unite people in a non-violent way for years, Israel or any other nation has the potential to hold a tournament.

Football is a peace tool and it channels competition through sport not war
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The Middle East hasn't really ever seen a rise in talents or a lot of emphasis being put in their football so I hope by trying this an impact can be made. There is always hope that people should go by and even though people say politics and sports should not mix, if it is for the reason of peace, it should be tried. I hope it works
The US never saw rises in talent until the late 90's, croatia hasn't always been the greatest footballing nation and neither has russia and now they are both very talented especially the latter. So why not middle eastern countries. Israel has been very good over the last few years with players such one of liverpools heroes last season, benayoun, the tough defender tal ben haim, the former chelsea striker ben sahar and plenty more. Egypt has been performing great lately and iraq just recently won the asia cup

Kick4Life - changing lives through football