Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Paul Scholes Comes Out Of Retirement
Yogan (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I'm sure we've all seen United's lacklustre midfield, missing Fletcher and the lot, recently. But here's a shock. Paul scholes is coming out retirement to fill the gaps until the end of the season! What a legend! My thoughts are that he is very commited and will hopefully guide United to the title (not that I want United to win). What about your thoughts?
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
When I heard of his willingness last night I thought, "Ha! A wonderful last resort though. " I didn't dream I'd be seeing his name at the end of the bench when I checked-out the line-up for the game today.

My immediate thoughts are that it will be a meagre arrangement. Unless Scholes has been keeping fit since his retirement, he'll be even more out of his depth than he was when he decided to call it a day last year.

If he does feature, I imagine it will be only against meek opposition or Fergie will give him super-cover in the form of the work-heavy Jones and Park in a 4-3-3.
Yogan (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Yeah good point but he played against City! I don't think he would of though if it wasnt already 3-0. He does look a bit rusty but had a good shot, but all he seems to do is pass it,
SirRyanGiggs11 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
He is a bit rusty, undeniable, BUT he does provide that simple outlet pass and move style united has been lacking so much lately. Scholes does have experience, ability to posses the ball, his movement is intelligent, he reads the game brilliantly, and when I have to pick a man other than Rooney to hit a 30 yard shot, there are not many people you put in front of Paul Scholes to do that. All of that being said, he is 38, his intelligence doesn't make up for the fact he can't win a footrace, his tackling is.... Enthusiastic, and defensively he can't help out to much. Scholes prevents an opposition's offense through simply not giving them the ball, like a Xavi or an Inniesta, but this is the EPL, nobody has 70% possesion in a game. I think Paul can be useful to kill off a game United is winning 2-0, but I don't think I would start him against a City or a Liverpool. United still needs a longterm schole's replacement, and I would like to believe Ozil would fit in perfectly. Or Kaká. Kaká is still dangerous, and he is SUCH a nice guy, c'mon SAF, give him a chance
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Since Scholes plays in a position where it's not necessary to be fast and strong (cm/am playmaker), I think this is a good thing for United. His vista and pass can't have disappeared, and his experience will bring a calmness to the team in the middle of the pitch that they needed. Carrick is the only player I thought was able to fill that hole Scholes left, but he's not quite Scholes.

I say this can spark United to perhaps another league trophy
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
He's the kind of midfielder United have needed this season. I'm not expecting fireworks from him but I expect a big contribution from him
FootballForever (Manchester United) 2 years ago
As long as he gets his cardio up, then I see this as a very good decision as we've been lacking in that area ever sense he retired
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
In his first game back he had some monster statistic of passes completed.... 97% or so.... But one of the 3% missed lead immediately to James Milner stealing the ball, crossing it for Aguero, who blasted the ball into the United net. 100% to fault - Paul Scholes.

If a mistake like that happened when United were playing with 11 v 11 men, and not 3 goals scored, I honestly think United fans would be saying something different about the ginger prince.

He scored a tap in from 2 yards in the second game, but even that shows he has the ability to be in the right place, right time.

If I was a United fan I think I'd be mixed about it. If Gerrard retired age 36 and then out of desperation and unwillingness to buy new player, we called him back from retirement at age 37 or 38, I honestly think I would wonder what the hell was going on at the club?
Eric (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Definitely concerned, but overall happy with it so far. It was a poor touch and a poor decision in that City game. One of desperation to bring him on. Even if that had been the goal that had lost it for us, I would still give him the benefit of the doubt. Over the past few weeks he has been unbelievable, and that's just fine with me. We were never going to make a midfield signing in the January transfer window. However if nothing is done over the summer, then I'd say it's safe to assume there are some monetary shenanigans afoot

Kick4Life - changing lives through football