Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Officiating Changes Which You Would Like To See
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Almost every big match this season has had referee controversy but why does that have to happen?

Uefa added two additional officials on the end lines but really, that has really been closer to useless than helpful.
I think that it is going in the right direction though.

What the beautiful game needs is to move those two end line officials onto the field and give them the power to make their own calls.

Basketball - 10 players - 3 officials
Hockey - 12 players - 3 officials
American Football - 22 players - 7 officials
All of the above also use video technology to aid decision making.

Our Football - 22 players - 1 on field official and 2 linesman and an off field official and no video technology.

Why is the worlds largest, most popular, most controversial sport so far behind?
Kayteo (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ice hockey is a good example, there are 3 officials on a much smaller surface, all of whom have the authority to call fouls. The linesmen in football need the authority to call fouls and there MUST be a goal-line camera system.

The two largest issues football must address is how to protect their skilled players from violence without compromising a team based on tough defence and fair tackling, and of course diving. Diving is a large impediment to marketing 'soccer' in America and Canada, where Gridiron and ice hockey are king (respectively). Those sports are not for wimps! There are (true) legends of ice hockey players playing on with injuries as severe as a broken leg to help their team win trophies, you cannot get those fans to watch 'soccer' if the big teams spend more time flopping around on the ground than standing up!

The solution is to hire each match day official until the end of the day, not just the end of the match. After each match they must review the tape of the game with an extra off-field official, they will give post-match cautions to players if it is warranted; for each instance of diving they will receive a one-match ban, and the officiating team can recommend sterner punishments or prepare statements to defend players who were wrongly penalized during the game. For instance, I don't think Chicharito's yellow card for diving was warranted against Newcastle - I think Nani should have got one instead for a much earlier dive!

This way the officials MUST look at all the decisions they made in the cold light of day, without 90000 fans hissing at them, it will improve the quality of officiating, forcing them to see their mistakes. Nobody is perfect, but this system will lend credibility to the FA's Respect campaign because there is perceived effort on the referee's part to get better!

In addition if players like nani, torres, busquets, etc (there are so many everywhere) are being banned every other week they'll shape up. Maybe clubs will fine them every time they get a ban for diving?

Seriously though, all it takes is ONE FA in europe to take a hard stance on diving and to seriously put effort into improving the consistency and quality of officiating and the rest will follow suit
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
I did a thread on replay last year.... Forget it because Ant hates it. He will find a way to stop it cold.... I just know it. The obvious thing is to give the ref the ability to stop the clock whenever there is a real serious foul also.... Why so much stopage time.... That is a problem too.... Especially at Old Trafford.... Lol....

Just start using replay on goal line stuff only and give each side 3 shots at stopping play to review the play.... Big deal. There is no actual clock in the game anyway with stoppage time so do whatever it takes to get the call right. Ants argument is that it would take away from the " Human Element " and thus take away from all the wonderful arguments we all have about shitty calls....

I totally disagre! Getting the call right is good for the game because it is right. And don't we all want the game to be true?
NAOTA (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think I remember hearing about they should have some sort of buzzer go off or light like in Ice Hockey when the ball hits a post and goes over the line but spins out. Goes to the case of Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany in the 2010 World Cup. I don't know why they don't use it. It would be cheap and effective
Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Good idea, but it would probably become unbearable. Just some sort of indicator into the ref's ear piece would be enough
Rodney555 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
That would be great.... But I don't think none opf that will be done.... Unfortunately
Rob12 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Reason is we've idiots in charge of football.

I really don't understand how hard it would be to bring in video tech. It will make the game better, plus we can then get rid of these idiots who stand next to the goal.

But then again I like football being controversial. It makes it exciting etc. And being to perfect can make the game boring. Also even with Video tech doesn't mean it will work, in Rugby against South Africa England got a perfectly decent try but even with the replays it was not given, so maybe it's pointless
Jimmybreeze 3 years ago
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 3 years ago
He's' really has' way' too' much' time' on his' hand's...
Funny thing is we've is proper since it is short for "we have"

All the other apostrophes are correct

Jimmybreeze is just an idiot
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
We have to get some sort of technology system to prevent all these bad calls from happening. There are people that keep saying "controversy is good for the game, it makes it exciting" but what happens when a game changing decision goes against them unfairly? They complain and cuss at the ref and officials
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Video technology is a double edged sword, it would help the officials but it would take away from the flow and splendor of the match. Think if Maradona's hand of god was disallowed in the 86 WC, than he wouldn't have scored what many consider the best goal in the history of the game. It is what it is and I for one am a fan of keeping it old school. I think one change that needs to happen with referees is to give out less cards early in the match but speak to the people making harsh challenges and tell them what they are doing wrong and they will receive a card if they keep it up. I never saw the referee in el clasico talk to pepe before sending him off, maybe if there were better communication between the referee and the players instead of the players just bickering and arguing at them, there would be better decisions
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Just goal line referees who have the power to call fouls around the box and say if the ball has gone over the line. I'm not a fan of video replay in football. I think it would ruin the flow
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Guys, try to carry on the thread on the changes you would like to see in the game and not just on video technology 'cause we have a couple of similar topics created for that already.

Link: www.footytube.com/forums/the-stands-general-footy-...

More officials especially on the goal lines to make the calls that the ref cannot
Uefa has already done that and it hasn't really had an impact at all on the game.

Why not allow these refs to move around the field? Currently there are 3 sets of eyes (in a champions league match) on each half, why not add another set of eyes which will be able to watch for more interactions between the players and another angle to look at things
It hasn't had an impact because they aren't allowed to make any calls by themselves and they just monitor the goal line itself rather than looking for fouls, handballs, etc. But I do agree that there should be another official that should be allowed to move around the pitch and assist the ref with the decision making. Of course it would probably be easier to resort technology than to keep on adding extra officials
Well FIFA is afraid that using technology would slow the pace of the game and cause breaks during game play. Adding extra officials won't change anything in the game other than taking up space on the field and hopefully increase the quality of officiating
Well goal line technology certainly wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game and FIFA need to consider using technology none of the other sports using technology complain about the pace being slowed and that is not an acceptable excuse to me
Well the thing about football is that time doesn't stop when the ball is out of bounds or goals or celebrations and such.

I am actually not convinced that added time is better than stopping the time and making sure each game consists of 90 minutes of playing time
Nah, I like the added time, it adds more suspense to the final minutes of the game
BigD123 (Wolverhampton Wanderers) 3 years ago
There seems to be too many simple mistakes occuring in the game of football and because technology is becoming so advanced it is easy to pick them up.

So the question is why doesn't fifa and the FA not want to use technology.

It is my understanding that there are two main reasons for this;

Firstly the popularity of football is very dependant on its world wide pick up and playability. Most people who like watching football also like playing wether its just a kick about in the park or their local football league. Its my understanding that fifa and FA are concerned that by introducing expensive and complex technology you lose some of the instant link people have with the sport they play and whats being seen on TV and thatr could effect popularity.

Secondly the flow of the game is very important to football its whole design is based around the intense continual running, formation and structure of a team whilst under physical and mental pressure, this is why you see a team that is under the cosh with a player suddenly going down so they can grab a minute to reform while the " injury" is dealt with. The games mentioned above all have different playing systems to football with more division in time periods more natural breaks and players being able to come off and on the pitch so they are not ideal comparisons to football.

Having said all of that I do believe that using technology has its place and here is the place it has.

Not for offside that's what a lino is for sure they get it wrong but that is part of the gam

Use tech for goal confirmation to check the ball went over - this actually come up not too often so I don't think it would affect the game too much

Use tech for disaplinary both guilt and innocence- if someone gets a ban from a card that wasnt fair change it it would take much.

All these changes would be easy enough to do and would not affect the game much.

Tomthedon (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Nowadays players waste a heck of a lot of time argueing with the ref anyway (Last weeks El Classico for example). Surely time would be saved, in turn increasing the games flow, if refs were given video evidence and allowed to make concrete decisions?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Yeah definitely, it would take seconds to get the right decision, there was talk of using the same hawkeye technology they use in Tennis and Snooker to see if the ball had crossed line as well, Tennis matches use this technology all the time and is very effective so I see no problem with it either, most top clubs have big screens so would take 2 seconds to beam it on the screen for everyone to see then get on with the game!
Have an official sitting in front of a monitor for any dubious decisions, refer to him for the replay he gives the final decision and we get on with the game, simple but effective changes that would make the game flow and also stamp out a bit of the cheating and simulation that goes on!
I honestly cant't believe how FIFA could possible use such a pathetic excuse as stopping the flow of the game. If there was some sort of a review system then players wouldn't crowd the ref and waste even more time
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I mean you've got to remember this is over 75 years of tradition we are talking about. It may not be that easy just to say ok we are going to use cameras to review plays. Think of how much that changes the whole shape of the game. I say keep it old school controversy has always been a part of football, don't know why we wouldn't be able to deal with it now. Nothing is perfect, just my two cents. I mean the USA got robbed of a great comeback against Slovenia in the WC, having a completely legit goal taken away. But that lead to one of the best moments in the WC having Landon score the stoppage time winner against Algeria, I wouldn't have had it any other way. If we would have lost it would have sucked but you get on with it
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Three changes I would like to see, one out of fairness, one to speed the game up, and the other one for the hell of it.... Lol.
The fairness one:.... When an injured player has to go off for treatment until the ref allows him on again, and the player who inflicted the injury has got a yellow card for the offence, he should be made to wait on the sidelines until the injured party joins the match again.
I don't see the sense in the culprit happily playing away with a full team, while the sinned against has to wait for the ref to bring him back on after treatment and his team at a disadvantage.

One to speed the game up:.... When a ball goes out for a throw in, the nearest player must take the throw in, it will speed the game up no end.

And one for the hell of it:
In the case of a penalty, the fouled player must take it, unless its handball, or he has to go off injured
Not bad changes at all. All of them are reasonable.

I do think the fairness one should be implemented. The team has to play with an injured player and a man down just doesn't seem right.

The speed up the game one is also a good one. No one has an excuse not to be able to throw the ball, I have seen a player without a hand (birth defect) throw the ball without problems.

Your last one is also fair, I have always thought that the player which earned the penalty should always take it. If they are capable of getting a penalty call then they should be capable of putting one into the net as well. This will also end the whole scoring off a penalty isn't as great as scoring from open play because the player earned it
Accidentally triple posted. Fix please
BoboRed (Leeds United) 3 years ago
I'd love to see Stokes new tactics if your second rule was brought in Tony. Rory Delap would spend 90% of the match running up and down the touch line like a headless chicken, waiting for the ball to go out for a throw in
He could keep the injured player company from example 1 while he's on the touchline waiting to come back on.... Lol
Peteko 3 years ago
Company or a chance to get back at the guy who injured him. We could see some good action there.

I completely agree with this and the penalty rule.
Throw-the-ball rule it's more controversial. Sometimes it is not clear who among the players is closer. And then they will find ways to delay it until other players come closer.
Delap is the player who annoys me the most. 21 players waiting for him to go to the line and then take that towel and wipe the ball, check the reflection of the light on the ball etc etc and then nothing happens. Except for one occasion, Stokes have never scored in an action started from his long throws for the entire last season.come ooooooooooooon.
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
I would like to see the goal line technology implemented of course. We have seen so many teams getting robbed unfairly.

Automatic booking for:
-Players surrounding the ref.
-Players raising their hand like crazy in an attempt to show that such player should get booked. The referee is the boss on the pitch, there is no need to tell him what to do.

Automatic booking for overcelebrating should be taken off. They should let the player let loose!

The video technology would be great, but that would hack up the flow of the game, we want to see the momentum maintained
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 3 years ago
Well for starters I'd like to be given my FA License to referee on a silver platter and then ushered in a camel to officiate the Champions League Matches from now on.

Other changes include, Howard Webb and Atkinson Retiring while their behind
Isn't Webb the United ref though?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Webb? Maybe if he is off any Utd related games. He is a good ref, touch yet manages to keep the game flowing, deserved the 2010 WC final and 2010 UCL final imo
Unmecenfrance (Lille) 3 years ago
No talking, no running, no jumping, no kicking, no touching, no laughing, no crying, no celebrating, no balls, no grass, no lines, no goals, no nets, no stadiums, no seats, no sponsors, no money, no beer, no food, no air, no water, no fun
No chance.... Lmao
Peteko 3 years ago
Hahahaha no better reply

Kick4Life - changing lives through football