Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
North London: The Capital Of Football
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I'll keep this post short and simple. I would like to make the assertion that North London has the greatest concentration of professional footballing talent today, above all other potential 'football capitals' whether they be Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester, Madrid, Sao Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aires.... The list goes on.

Arsenal + Tottenham, a great rivalry and together, they carry some of the most promising as well as the most renowned and established footballing talent, both in the contemporary and from a historical perspective. Hence, the capital. What say you?
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It depends on how you quantify footballing talent. If it's by monetary value of the players within the teams, I would argue Manchester has North London beat, due to the megamillions that both United and City have on their squads. Likewise, if its by fan base. Manchester united alone have an estimated 330 million worldwide fans. You could argue that if you take history into it, perhaps London might take it, I'm not sure, but its certainly worth a consideration.

VeljaSrbin (FK Partizan Beograd) 3 years ago
I would consider whole London as an capital of football!
I get Ant's point, but three London clubs are making it to the champions league quarter finals (Chelsea still has to play rematch, but with 2-0 away win I consider them as qualified). I did not check on this one, but I believe it is the first time in champions league history something like this happened. And you cannot say it is a one season miracle either, because Arsenal and Chelsea were making far in this competition in previous seasons as well.
But if we would go with local-patriotism, than North London is definitely the capital "hood" of football today!
Somere (Portmore Utd) 3 years ago
Only two london clubs are making it to the next stage of the champions league. Although london has had more clubs in the champions league, none of them as ever won it. But I have to admit it very close between london and manchester and even liverpool to some extent. Manchester united and real madrid has the largest fan base in the world and with city in the rise am not sure
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I consider London to be the capital of football at the moment but manchester isn't far behind
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
May I also point out that London is the representation of football capitals that doesn't win the big ear cup.
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Capital of Football Underachievers. Turin and Madrid have to be somewhere in the mix too
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
A lot will depend on how high Manchester City and Tottenham Spurs will rise in the next years. It is easier to imagine London as a capital of football because you factor Chelsea in. Otherwise it would be difficult to compete against big rivals like Manchester, Milan and Madrid.

In any case, the irony of this, is that the only way to root for your city to win the status of world's capital is by hoping that your arch-rivals become a powerhouse too. Would United fans wish to see City win champions league or Arsenal fans see the Spurs get ahead of them in EPL?

Becoming the capital of the world's football comes with a domestic price, the risk of your club losing the leading status within your city
Yes, I see the weakness in my arguments now, or rather the original question itself. The irony or contradiction between wanting to live in this heated, and competitive footballing city versus wanting your side to be the dominant club hands down.

Also, football need to be embraced for all its diveristy. We could say Europe is the world's footballing capital, but then again, the contributions of the americas, asia, africa and frankly anywhere else is impossible to ignore
It really depends on what you use as your standard.

If you are basing this on local fans then I don't see how North London could compare to cities like

Buenos Aires.
This is from wikipedia:
"In 2004, British newspaper The Observer made a list of 50 sporting things you must do before you die, with Watch Boca Juniors Play River Plate in Buenos Aires at the top of the list. [83] Due to their huge fan bases (Boca has 40% of the Argentine population and River 33%"

Istanbul
Where you have the 3 biggest clubs in Turkey from the same city. That is Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray. When visiting any of these clubs in Europe teams enter an atmosphere that is always frightening. Many European powerhouses struggle whenever they are in Turkey because the stadiums always have an impact.

Although both of the clubs aren't doing too great right now.
You can't ignore the derby between AC Milan and Internazionale. Together they share 10 European cups.
In the past 10 years Milan has 2 cups and 1 runner up, Inter has a single appearance in the final
I think by capital of football they meant the quality of the talent of footballers in that area
Well in that case....

North London < Milan < Manchester < London

In Milan itself you have numerous World Class players. Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Pato, Robinho. Milito, Sneijder, Maicon, Cambiasso, Pazzini and Cassano. Most people won't consider Pazzini or Cassano world class but many people can strongly argue that they both are.

Arsenal and Tottenham: RvP, Fabregas, Nasri, VdV, Bale.

I don't think I need to make an argument for the other cases.
Fair point. I like how we've still arrived at some form of conclusive hierarchy as far as footballing epicenters go
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I would have to say London would be capital, not just North London.

RvP, Fab, Nasri, VdV, Bale, Essien, Cech, Lamps, Terry, Drogba, Kalou, Vermaelon, Torres, Arshavin (although a dip in form recently), Walcott etc
Although I agree that London has the highest density of World Class players, I think a few players from your list do not belong. Kalou, Arshavin and Walcott really haven't done anything to deserve to be along side the other players
Depends on what your minimum standard is for a player to be defined as world class
Good point. In my opinion World class is used too loosely these days
Different people have different opinions so it's hard to tell if a player really is world class or not. In my opinion kalou and vermalen are not world class players. Neither is cassano or pazzini. I haven't seen robinho play in a while so I'm not sure about that
I don't mind arguing for Cassano and Pazzini but here is not the place
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Shouldn't it be Milan < North London? Spurs and Arsenal have beat both Milan and Inter in recent years. Big money stars may not be in North London but the teams are pretty good
If you are going to use the argument that ____ beat ____ then we can talk about how Inter won the champions league last season and how Milan won it recently too
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Shouldn't it be Barcelona > World?
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I'd say the whole london maybe? Because then you have West Ham, Fulham, Chelsea included aswell? And Millwaal, QPR, and Crystal Palace, all good championship sides
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
There are some so many football clubs in London in the top leagues. With an average of 5 clubs from london at least (EPL, Championship, League 1, 2, Conference....)
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I'll try to bring up a different perspective.
The city of liverpool has 27 league titles. 18 for liverpool, and 9 for everton. Liverpool holds 5 european cups.

The city of manchester has 20 league titles. 18 for manchester united, and 2 for manchester city. Manchester united has won 3 european cups.

The city of london has 19 league titles. 13 for arsenal, 4 for chelsea, and 2 for tottenham. No european cups.

And that's just by city. If you count region, the North West has 54 titles, and London only has 19. And factor in that there are probably more teams in the top flight based in london.

So depending on how you look at it, I wouldn't be too sure to say london is the capital of football
Yeah but I thought we were talking about the capital of football based on the amount of talented players in that area not the number of titles won
Joeymac (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Well yeah, but I was trying to bring a different perspective to the argument.

But, you DO have to have talented players to win a title
Lol ok I understand what you were trying to do. But I guess if were using titles then barca and real would have something to argue. Barcelona has 20 titles and 3 european cups, Real madrid has 31 titles and 9 european cups. Atletico has 9 titles so together that's 40 for madrid, maybe when we look at it this way we might be different. In milan, inter has 19 titles and 3 european cups. Ac milan has 17 titles and 7 european cups that adds up to a total of 36 titles and 12 european cups for milan. So I guess when we look at things from a different perspective it is either milan or madrid
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Right now I would say the epicenter of football is the Nou Camp and la masia Considering six or seven players that started for the first Spanish side to win a World Cup play or played there. They are the school and cathedral of the greatest player in the world and nowhere else is there better football being played right now than Catalonia. The history is rich as well, the role of Catalonia in the Spanish regime and dictatorship and Barcelona giving hope to those people, beating Real Madrid. The 5-0 victory in the el clasico this year, plus you can't really say North London is the capital when Barca beat them a couple weeks ago. Cruijff, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Maradona, Messi, Rivaldo, Laudrup some of the greatest have played there, and I think this period may be the greatest in Barca's history.

So that would be my argument. But there is this place called Anfield that has this statue of this guy name Shanks that is pretty holy and capitalesque
YounGunz (Arsenal) 3 years ago
The capital of football is in a small town located in Switzerland: Nyon, where the UEFA headquarters resides.

I suppose you could call London a football hub, but then you could easily say the same about Barcelona or Amsterdam. In the sense that London has more top quality clubs residing in it than any other city in Europe, I could agree with the original poster. However I don't think this alone makes it deserving of the title and I don't think this is a very fair analysis overall, backed by the arguments against

Kick4Life - changing lives through football