Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Next Years Top 4
Skezza11 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1. Liverpool  2. Chelsea  3. Arsenal  4. MAN CITY    Discuss
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Haha- if ManU isn't in someone top 4 list it automatically loses all credibility
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Man city don't have a chance at the top four yet. They need a solid defence and increased teamwork more than they need expensive players to splash money on. Maybe in the next 3 or 4 years
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
Bookies would give you a good punt for that, 1000/1?

United are in no way likely to drop out of the top 2 let alone the top 4, it's clear you aren't exactly pro-Manchester United as you support Liverpool but you still have to be realistic.

I doubt that United will lose anyone in the defence over the summer and that has been key to their success this season.

1. Manchester United
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Aston Villa (Arsenal if Wenger can bolster the squad over the summer)

The 2, 3 and 4 spots could all be switched at the end of summer though, it will be interesting how the transfer window will be played and in particular, who plays the transfer window at Chelsea
Ah you spotted the big Liverpool tag I had next to my name.... I believe if Man Utd lose Tevez and Ronaldo (although unlikely) they will struggle next season. Liverpool only need to bolster the full back positions, namely right back and with the aquisition of someone such as Tevez, our frontline will have a lot more depth as it has in the letter part of the season. Aston Villa still need a few more years I think for them to challenge the top 4, but it will be interesting to see how, and who, Man city spend this summer!
Ronaldo doesn't make as much difference to United as the media and Ronaldo brand pushers would like you to think. Ronaldo rarely eyes the killer pass or is at the centre of any well-worked moves, Ronaldo scores goals for Ronaldo. The only real effect I believe he has on the team as a whole is injecting pace or the idea of Ronaldo being introduced. United are not a one-man team at all, Ronaldo seems to be absent 3/4 of their games anyway

Tevez can't be labelled as a reason for United to drop because he was rarely played this season, most of his appearances were subs and as much as I like him as a player, he hasn't been central to Manchester United success this season.

You can't realistically think that United will drop outside the top 4, I mean....come on? It is bordering on silly. The team is far larger than just Ronaldo and Tevez, the workings of United lie in the midfield which is as strong as ever. If Ronaldo wasn't in the team, I'm confident that the goals would come from elsewhere. Squad depth is essential if you are going to win 3 titles in a row.

Like I said above, the United defence was key to them winning this year, how do you expect it to crumble? Did you think the clean-sheet record was due to VDS alone? Ferdinand is a rock and seems to give Vidic real confidence when lined up side by side.

United dominate due to squad depth and the fact the team is riddled with world-class players. As much as you would like them to drop outside the top 4, it just ain't going to happen and you have to put up a pretty damn good argument to suggest that they come 1/2 next year let alone
Ok so of course it is just wishful thinking - I wouldn't realistically expect them to drop out of the top four! Their squad depth is without doubt the best in the premiership, they have a class 11 twice around. I certainly think that Ronaldo contributes a little more than 1/4 of a game. Ok so he has not had his best season this year, but still managed to score 1 less than top goal scorer and his speed and skill frequently lead to opportunities for other players to score be it from winning a corner or his off-the-ball runs. How many times has Tevez rescued United from an embarrasing 1-0 loss and managed to clawthem back into the game when they really havn't deserved to win!?

I am not saying that, without these two players they will end up 5th or 6th, however I feel these two players are, and have been key inthe last few seasons of winning the premiership, and Liverpool will certainly be stronger next season. Utd's defence has not looked as sterdy as it was at the beginning of the season and I don't expect it to become as formidable again anytime soon with Vidic looking evermore shaky-with or without Ferdy alongside him.

I believe that Liverpools squad depth has no-where near the amount of quality that Man-utd has, however the XI is better.

Ronaldo is a highlight-reel player, he is a brand and it makes sense for commentators/the media to be pushing the hell out of him. He has the worst free-kick:goal ratio in the Premier League and more than often, runs moves into the ground. It is frustrating watching him pick up the ball on the half-way line, avoid passes and then do 10 stepovers and then smash the ball off the defender for a throw-in. If he isn't scuppering team moves, he is stumbling over himself, falling from a mile off.

Highlights flatter Ronaldo because you can ignore his overall performance and show his 8th free-kick in the game where he doesn't hit the wall. United won't miss him as much as the media would like you to think because the Ronaldo brand lines their pockets. If he did leave, United wouldn't think twice about splashing the tansfer money on a suitable replacement. Ribery would gel far better into the team than Ronaldo would. I can't rebute the fact he is a world-class player and at times links up well with other players but the moments of genius are compensated by 3/4s of laziness, petulance or running moves into the ground.

I am a big fan of Tevez, he is probably my favourite player outside the SPL yet I would not go as far as to say he was crucial to United winning the title. I like him and I like how he plays but his absence wouldn't have such a detramental effect on the team to the extent that they slip positions in the league.

Vidic almost became a liability for United further into the season but he peformed fantastically when Ferdinand came back, his shaky peformances were put behind him undoubtedly. I just think Ferdinand gives him confidence and his poor patch in the season coinciding with an absent Ferdinand wasn't coincidental.

A hell of a lot of shaking up will have to happen in the transfer market for United to slip more than 1 position and it looks unlikely if we are going to have to rely on Benitez's ability in the transfer market...
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Remember this year at the start, man utd had no ronnie so the suffered and got off to a dreadful start
Agreed, Ronlado is a highlight reel player, but he is the kind of player who is proven to make things happen. Ribery is an amazing player but not proven in the premiership as yet so I think for at least next season - with the title in mind, Ronaldo would be far more beneficial for United.

I'm sure it will be nice for Benitez to make signings without Rick Parry getting in the way this time around, as long as he keeps Alonso and manages to bring in someone like Tevez, silva and possibly a right back our squad depth will be far greater.

There could well be a huge shake up as far as Man City are concerned, they have the potential to become a great team if Sparky spends correctly - look at chelsea a few years ago, They built their team on money, they were nothing before this.

Ronaldo has shinned only in england may be it would be difficult for him to settle in spain
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
True I think Ronnie will stay as he makes a big difference (Agreed Ragarsha that Note we did bad at the beginning of the season without him). I think we might get Ribery anyway because Nani (who seemed The next Ronaldo) is in hibernation
If you read my post you would realise I was listing reasons why United wouldn't miss him and why he isn't crucial to United's success. A player can't have a bad season and score 18 goals, the gist of my post was far from discrediting his season and I think you need to re-read.

Watch him and watch his game, he is no engine room player and he does not dictate play, if things aren't going his way he either throws a hissy fit or disappears, you never seem him track-back and you never see him lead the team by example.

There is no point saying it is a load of bollox without explaining why you think so
In fact he does track back (most of the time) He's just not very good at it. H'e also Tries hard.
By The way I would like to say we all have are own opinions and discussion over
That's one my issues with him, he doesn't try hard at all, he is a lazy sod, especially when things don't go his way. He rarely tracks back, ever...
He wants to have a cake walk
1. Liverpool 2. Chelsea 3. Man utd 4. Arsenal      2, 3, 4 places may change
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
1. Man Utd.
2. Liverpool
3. Aston Villa/Arsenal
4. Fulham

The only reason I split the Villains and Scousers is because I don't know if Arsenal is going to finally put their young players to use. Examples: Aaron Ramsey, Sanchez Watt, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Rhys Murphy, and Jack Wilshere
UnitedSince93 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Chelsea?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 5 years ago
1, Liverpool 2, Man Utd 3, Aston Villa 4, Chelsea

All kinda depends on the summer transfers but I feel Liverpool have got a side moving in the right direction in terms of age and hunger. Man Utd have players in the twilight of their careers and youngsters with little or no experience to replace them (at the moment).

I think Aston Villa started to settle for their place at the end of the season hence the reasonably inglorious last quarter. With a couple of good acquisitions I can see them taking the 3rd spot.

Chelsea and Arsenal will battle it out for fourth.

All above subject to change!
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Every Man United fan will have Man United at the top, same goes for Liverpool fans with Liverpool on top. I think 1, 2, 3 spots could easily be split up between Manchester United, Liverpool, and Chelsea (in no particular order there), while Arsenal, Aston Villa, and possibly Everton might fight it out again for #4
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That's the best way to put it and I agree with you. Anyone with a top 3 team name beside their username will not be making an impartial prediction
That's a true statement although I personally think it will be between liverpool and utd again unless guus stays. I'd definatly put Man City as a possibility to steal a top 4 spot - but obvioulsy if they spend well and can persuade good names to come. If Steve Bruce was given 100 miallion I think he would be able to generate a top four side as his eye for talent is excellent
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Tottenham? No?

Liverpool
ManU
Chelsea
Tottenham

09/10! That will be the season spurs crack the Big 4! Maybe...
Top 2 were bang on, but there is know place for chelsea in the top 4(other way round if hiddick stays) aston villa will be the team to watch
Syraph (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Yes! Tottenham are amazing! I really hope they make the top 4
Moocow111 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
1. ManU  2. Liverpool  3. Chelsea  4. Arsenal    It'll be the same as 2008-09 season
Momoali (Liverpool) 5 years ago
1)Liverpool  2)Man utd  3)Chelsea  4)Arsenal    I don't think the top 4 will change for many years to come.
TheReggular (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Haha, I think you're right!
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
1. Manchester united win their 4th in a row and pass liverpool with 19 league titles

2. Chelsea will finish just above liverpool due to liverpools lack of depth

3. Liverpool torres and gerrard will both face injuries that will ruin the little chances they have of winning a league

4. This is a tough 1 to predict it all depends what happens over the summer with who stays and who goes, but if man city can buy enough quality players than they can top arsenal for that 4th spot. Arsenals chances of reclaiming this 4th spot are getting worse and worse with the talks of adebayor and wenger both possibly leaving. I say 4th spot goes to city
Coming year we will support no other team other than lfc as they can go all the way
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Not sure I believe that. You'll be rooting for the teams United play as much as we'll be rooting for the teams that Liverpool plays, especially in the Premier League
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
1 wolverhampton 2 stoke city 3 burnley 4 stoke city.... Chelsea arsenal and liverpool are relegated and Man Utd beat the drop on goal difference
LOL Only If a all powerful being smites us down
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
You guys had a rough season what can I say
Haha so rough that we won the EPL and got onto The Champions league final
But match fixing scandal rocks EPL table turned around, 1. Liverpool 2. Arsenal 3. Chelsea .... Burnley, stoke, wolves get relegated
Tom (Manchester United) 5 years ago
This comment has been removed.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football