Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
New Under 21 League Launched
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
The Premier League announced the creation of a new under 21 competition with the aim of helping players transition from the youth team to the full side.

The competition will be made up of the 17 Premier League and 6 Championship teams who hold category one academy status. The teams are dived into two groups of 8 and one of 7 these groups will then feed into a knock-out phase and a final.

Teams can only field a maximum of 3 outfield players over the age of 21 and an over age goalkeeper so the emphasis is fully on young player development.

As controversial as the new academy rules have been this does seem like a move on the right direction and will give a lot of young players a chance to play at a higher level without the need to go out on loan or even move clubs altogether.

What do you think?

National Group 1
Arsenal
Blackburn
Bolton
Everton
Norwich
Reading
West Brom
West Ham

National Group 2
Aston Villa
Manchester United
Newcastle
Southampton
Stoke
Sunderland
Tottenham
Watford

National Group 3
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Fulham
Liverpool
Manchester City
Middlesbrough
Wolves
[account-removed] 1 year ago
Frankly am surprised at the lack of interest in this league. I for one am quite excited by the idea, and combined with NextGen, it gives youth teams across the country a very tangible aspiration. Players can remain at the club instead of being sent out on loan and hoping they get some playing time. With 3 + 1 registered over 21 players eligible for playing, some of the fringe players can play in this tournament and prove themselves instead of sitting on the bench, week in week out and only playing in friendlies.

The only concern I have in this is the format. Top 3 from groups 1 & 2 progress into the elite, while only 2 from Group 3 progress. Would it be more beneficial to play in the non Elite group, since it only asks for one extra match more and possibly can be easier to top the group? No disrespect meant to any club, but the question does arise. Especially group 3, where if we go by sheer names alone, I'd say Chelsea, Liverpool and City have to have the best chances on paper to progress, with possible upsets from Fulham and Palace. Only Two of these progress to the next round, leaving one of these teams fighting in a relatively easier group. Unless there are hidden incentives in there, or teams just go in with a winning mentality (which should be the case anyway).

Either way, this really will help out English football a lot, as youth development is being given a lot of importance. On a slightly selfish note, Tottenham's showing all the signs of placing huge importance to our youth squad. It gives our hopefuls the best chance to impress the backroom staff while remaining and training with them and the first team as well. Darn happy!
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Tbh I think this will help the English youth system. Because it seems very competitive unlike playing for the reserve team
Tdsmufan (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Exactly mate. I think its going to be very excited now instead of having a reserve team and it really would help the young players increase with there skills to make them great footballing stars. That's a really good idea
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
The only issue I have the league and the academy category status is it basically kills all the youth programs outside of the category one clubs.

Even without the natural draw of these clubs they also now the lure of top flight competition. A lot of clubs in the lower leagues survive by selling players that have come from their youth teams I wonder how this will effect them?
Peteko 1 year ago
Yes and no Matt,
Young talents from the lower divisions will still be playing for their clubs' first team, which will still remain the "real thing". And scouts would still be combing those leagues, beside the obvious U-21, where the talents while easily spotted would also be either already taken or signing them would be costly due to competition from other rivals
Kzraud (Chelsea) 1 year ago
What a great opportunity for young players to Compete in a system that more closely resembles the Premier League!And after all isn't that the point? To create a smoother transition from "reserve" to first team. As stated in the official announcement, At least two home games must be played at home ground, and that's the minimum!Imagine a final at old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge. What a great chance for fans to go watch the youth compete in not only a meaningful competition but a shot at starting in next weeks game. And that's the best part in my eyes. If a manager sees a player doing extremely well at U21 he can decide to start them with the first team the next match. Its great can't wait to see how it all works out
BeefCurtains (Limerick) 1 year ago
If participation is not mandatory then it will fail.    
Peteko 1 year ago
My dream scenario would be an U-21 system which invites all professional clubs of England and starts from scratch.

One in which the U-21 of a club like Chesterfield would have equal chances as the big clubs of Manchester and London. Maybe in the end of the line the new U-21 PL will still be composed mostly of those clubs which populate the actual EPL, but it'd be great to give a chance to the youth to challenge history.

I'd love a "year zero" for the youth system

Kick4Life - changing lives through football