Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Mutiny/Turncoat?
Lifeguard 2 years ago
Over the past few seasons in which i've been actively involved in following club football I have noticed a very high rate of people who change favorite teams or cheer on a team they wouldn't normally simply because their side is not doing well. Sometimes I wish my team would do better, but I never really think about ever leaving to cheer for someone else.

Here's my question. At what point does a person decide that a team is "theirs for life" and further, how does someone say "you know what, I think I'm done cheering for _____, I'm now a fan of ______. " What would it take for you to become a die-hard fan for another team other than the one you currently support (if you do have a team like that).

And what is your opinion on people that do change teams like a girl changes shoes? Are they absurd? Flighty? Bandwagoners?
[account-removed] 2 years ago
This is actually a topic that appeals to me on multiple levels. I think we'd have to drop back down to the grassroot level of why we follow football, and what it was originally intended to be.

Football must have started off on a low key, with just friends and family cheering on their sons as they played the game. Then it turned into a commercial sport, providing a lot of job opportunities for a local person, and giving young kids an aspiration to be something. A sense of community grew, with football at its heart. A sense of community was then exploited by marketing agents and economic geniuses, who've turned to merchandising and foreign revenue. Promoting a "club" overseas has become the best thing ever. This has led to football as we know it.

To finally come to your point, I'm from India, and I'd never have really bothered to watch football if it weren't for these commercial ventures. This also appeals to most Asians, as we probably never would get a team good enough to actually support locally. Infact, South East India doesn't even have a single football club. This gives fans an opportunity to pick and chose their team and what they want to be associated as. Some pick footballing principles, some pick entertainment, some pick potential, but most pick instant success as they want to be associated with winners. This in turn leads to a potential problem of bandwagoners. They in turn solve the issue of money coming into the club, as they do indeed buy most merchandise. Take what Manchester United have successfully done by tapping into the Asian market: They've generated a "winning mentality" pull, they sign big players, they offer history. They've managed to win over a huge population of fans, who'd generate an unbelievable income through merchandising, much more than what a local fan would generate even through a season ticket and the usual shirt or two per season. So does appeasing them make things more important than local members now? Its a tough balancing act for the club.

As a Spurs supporter, it is probably the easiest thing to throw in the towel and switch to a team that doesn't break your heart the last moment. Personally, I see scores of people digging out their old Chelsea shirts now, while tucking away their Liverpool shirts. Selling their Manchester United shirts on E-bay and purchasing City shirts. I couldn't do that no matter what. As a purist in sport, I'd love to see some of the older sportsmanship values return over the "win whatever the cost" mentality. I'm not sure how and when people decide when they are going to support a club for life, but I sure do know that deep down, everyone who hasn't picked a club for life wouldn't enjoy football with all its ups and downs as much as a supporter who's sticking by their club through thick and thin. Picking a club, in my opinion, should be like marriage or religion. Take the plunge and you'll see football in a whole different light.

/rant from a raving football lunatic
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
In Scotland it's almost against the law to change your allegiance from one side of Glasgow to the other!

You very very very rarely see it happen among supporters, when your brought up they are the 2 biggest clubs in Scotland so you are going to choose one of them it's almost certain, especially when you come from a town with a little over 2-3000 people in it and our local football team is completely dire to watch!

My Dad bought me my first Rangers strip when I was about 8 and from then I never looked back, supported them through thick and thin and in that time amongst my friends I don't know of one that changed their colours!

One thing that always seems to baffle me is my friend's Dad is a big Celtic fan but he grew up with me supporting Rangers, the way I see it is in our country your Dad has a big influence in who you support, if your Dad supports Rangers it's only natural that you look up to this guy and want to be like him so you follow his footsteps!

But I know more and more these days people tend to follow the success and money rather than the club itself, for me that's not a fan of the beautiful game but a fan of success I. E. Glory hunters!
I've got no intention of trolling on a serious topic, but I am genuinely interested in how you'd react if the wee one started supporting Celtic!
It won't happen.... ....

Believe me it most definitely won't! Lol

He already has his first Rangers strip, by the time he's old enough to know blue will be the colour he grows up wearing, I will imprint it in his head very early on!
I bet that's exactly what your friend's Celtic supporting dad thought 25 years ago. Plus, there is always the theory that when children want to rebel (there always will be a stage), they will rebel by going against what was excessive in their childhood. He might get sick of blue?

I just love planting the seeds of evil into people's brains, although I fear this instance, it is going to cost me
Listen Maddy....

It won't happen he's a Rangers fan, I can see it in his eyes!

If he supports the enemy he's on his own, I'm pretty sure he knows that already and he's only 20 months old, we as a family support Rangers if he wants to support Ce*tic he can find a new family! haha
If you say so, John. If you say so!

I really need to revisit scotland and provide some input. Maybe buy some green colored toys. I'll shut up now before Paul bans me from his topics forever!
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
I don't think you get the point maddy, its like an indian supporting pakistan in cricket or vice versa, it just would not happen, its like everyone I know here in belfast, your born a rangers supporter, you don't have an option.... Lol
Lol. I do get it Tony. I lived in Scotland for a while and I know how deep the rivalry goes. I just was teasing John a little. Was too good an opportunity to miss
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 2 years ago
I used to support Man Utd when I was a kid but I have grown older and now my feelings towards them have faded. I now can't bring myself to support any team although it would be nice to have a strong affinity towards a team. Subsequently, I sit on park benches, drenched in my own urine and covered in stubbed out cigarettes from passers by wondering about the old days
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
LOL!
That was one of the biggest "what in the world did I just read" moments I've had on this site for a long long time. Lol
Jimmybreeze (FK Partizan Beograd) 2 years ago
I was hoping for sympathy but I got laughter, I'm going to start supporting Tottenham this is probably how their fans feel all the time
Not exactly the same way, but somewhat close. Heck, we can discuss it over the purchase of your season ticket, along with how exactly Matt and Tony messed up in raising you
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 2 years ago
I don't know a single person (in real life, I mean) who ever changed team, so Lifeguard, I have to question why you are under the impression that there is a "very high rate of people who change favorite teams".
However, I see all sort of things on the internet, like, for example, Facebook profiles of people who support both City and United, how impossible, LMAO
Lifeguard 2 years ago
See - I'm from Canada where Football (aka soccer) is not the most popular sport, and people here change hockey teams like its no big deal. So I might not be seeing it from a European perspective - like we never have riots in the seats if a fan of the other team is in the wrong seat section. For Canada and the USA, it seems there's no big deal about changing teams to be a fan of - not like GreatScot becoming a Celtic fan instead of Rangers
ManOnDMoon (Manchester City) 2 years ago
I see now, makes sense. I thought you referred to your footytube experience

Kick4Life - changing lives through football