Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Relied On Player In EPL?
Sam (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago

It was a well known fact last season that Arsenal were so dependent on RvP ("Reliant Robin") that his goals allowed for the 3rd place finish and consequent continued champions league presence. Few people expected this trend to continue at Manchester United following his summer move. However, some recently released stats by OptaStats paint a very different picture:

Manchester United's record WITH Van Persie's goals and assists:
Played 14 W 11 D 0 L 3 F 33 A 18 (+15) Pts 33
Record WITHOUT Van Persie:
Pld 14 W 3 D 7 L 4 F 20 A 18 (+2) Pts 16

For those wondering, this translates to 13th place in the league. Although I'm pretty sure that other players would probably have stepped up to get those goals, it is hard to argue his importance for the Red Devils this season.

Some would argue that Suarez IS Liverpool this season:

Liverpool's record with Suarez's goals and assists:
Pld 14 W 3 D 7 A 4 F 18 A 18 (0) Pts 16
Record without Suarez:
Pld 14 W 1 D 3 L 10 F 6 A 18 (-12) Pts 6

This means that Liverpool would be in 19th and properly fighting to stay in the league.

Other contenders:

Newcastle's record with Ba's goals and assists:
Pld 14 W 3 D 5 L 6 F 14 A 21 (-7) Pts 14
Record without Ba:
Pld 14 W 1 D 5 L 8 F 6 A 20 (-14) Pts 8

Swansea's record with Michu's goals and assists:
Pld 14 W 5 D 5 L 4 F 21 A 17 (+4) Pts 20
Record without Michu:
Pld 14 W 3 D 5 L 6 F 12 A 17 (-5) Pts 14

Without Ba, Newcastle would be 19th rather than 14th; without Michu, Swansea would be 16th rather than 9th.

So who has played the most integral player for his team so far this season? Feel free to add other possible candidates.
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
I compiled these stats last week (after 13 games) but didn't get round to using them here are the top 4 teams most reliant on players:

Newcastle: 13 goals
Ba 8 goals = 61%
4 different goal scorers average 3. 25 goals each.

Liverpool: 17 goals
Suarez 10 goals = 59%
6 different goal scorers average 2. 8 goals each.

Sunderland: 12 goals
Fletcher 6 goals = 50%
5 different goal scorers average 2. 4 goals each.

Swansea: 18 goals
Michu 7 goals = 39%
8 different goal scorers average 2. 25 goals each.

Stoke: 11
Crouch 4 goals = 36%
4 different goal scorers average 2. 75 goals each.

And for completeness here is Man Utd:

Man Utd: 32
Van Persie 8 goals = 25%
14 different goal scorers average 2. 3 goals each
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Juan Mata, Chelsea look like headless chickens without him. His performances in October are the reason we are as high as we are, Chelsea cannot play world class level football, unless Mata plays well. He has scored 5 and assisted 6, thus creating 11 of Chelsea 25 goals. Pivotal
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
And I'm sure if anyone could be bothered to find them, our stats with Mata are insanely better than without him
FCB619 (Barcelona) 1 year ago
Roben Van Persi!
Glory (Manchester United) 1 year ago
Yaya Toure? Fellani?
Lcott (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Yaya toure
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
I think its got to be either Suarez or Ba.
United would still do well without RVP, but Liverpool or Newcastle wouldnt be able to cope without them atm
Peteko 1 year ago
It has to be Suarez.

Not just because of his stats. It seems to me that his presence affects other teammates as well.

Yet, it's better if clubs don't depend much on a sole player or at least have others who can take the lead if there is an injury or slump in form
Dlz2000 (Arsenal) 1 year ago
It has to be robin van persie. Man city would be at least three points ahead of everyone
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Luis suarez for me.... !

Liverpool have scored 27 goals and 11 of them have been scored by luis suarez....

He is the guy creating and scoring all the way till now but there was a real spark against fulham for the first time our winger and midfielders where participating in the box and helping each other out to score some goals.... Agreed with the fact that fulham where extremely poor considering skrtel's goals, no other team in the world would have given that amount space in the box....

But still liverpool have to do something about scoring cos strikers and the forwards are not the only ones whose goals will takes us to the top 4 flight every one in the team has to score I mean players from Every position brings in some goals at the end of the season and that is when team scores aggregate of around 70-80 goals and reaches top 4....

Well I think liverpool more then a striker needs a compact midfielder who can give gerrard some freedom, so that gerrard can deploy the position of being no 3 striker or playing behind suarez & sharing load of scoring with him....

Joe allen and lucas are the ones regularly playing in the squad now from past few games I just want joe allen to more sporting and show some hunger and go forward though it might not be his best of the abilities but lucas stays deep gerrard(he has been off beat too if not considering the last game) going forward and suso and sterling are so young that they are still making their way in the game so I wouldn't expect them to score though 1-2 occasional.... That means goals have to some from somewhere also it was great to see downing getting onto the score sheet but from now on it has to be more regular moving forward.... So joe allen has to be the one closing down that gap between gerrard and lucas and start playing more of long passes distributing the the balls around the wings occasional unmarked run forward in the box.... Tactically I doubt it but as sahin is not being played unfortunately it comes down to allen....
Lcott (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Wonderful
Futbal321 (Chelsea) 1 year ago
Hmm I'm not sure really there are a couple of contenders Michu, Cazorla, Demba ba, Suarez etc. However I see one name not being mention - Juan Mata.

24 games 13 goals 14 assists...
Sam (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
I think if there was ever an argument for Mata, it was on display yesterday vs QPR- how he didn't start that game is anyone's guess, but they were not the same team without him. For all the talk about Brazilians at Chelsea, it's Mata who is the engine behind it all.

Good shout
Gerrardhero (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Michu for Swansea

Ba for Newcastle

Van Persie for Manchester United, although Rooney does help

Suarez and Gerrard for Liverpool

Kick4Life - changing lives through football