Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Most Over-rated Players
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 2 years ago
About 5 hours ago I created a thread on the most under-rated players now here is a thread for over-rated players. These players are most likely going to be attacking minded players, although their is defenders who are worth less than they seem. Another common trait for over-rated players would be very high wages. Also put players you think are overpaid. Who talks to much and doesn't walk enough, in your opinion?
Joshtch (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Kaka was became greatly overrated after his superb 07 season with milan. RM paid 56 million for an injury plagued wreck. Even after he recovered he really doesn't have that sparkle he used to have. And to think, Man City were talking about spending 100 million for him back in 09!
I agree
Willboze (Manchester City) 2 years ago
I think Tim Howard, the keeper for the US is over-rated because everyone talks about how good he is when he is not as good as he was in the 2010 world cup. I was watching a US friendly and he kept making mistakes
Eseleaka (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
My most Over-rated players are Chicharito, Essien, Sneijder Yes, ima and inter fan). Those are the only ones I can think of now
Cantonaaaa (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I would have to disagree with you on all the 3 players you mentioned (I do respect your opinion though). Chiucharito.... Is not over-rated at all, I've never heard of anyone saying he is one of the greatest strikers at the moment. Essien.... Absolutely indispensable to Chelsea when he cud play. He is the type of player who protects the defence while creating attacking plays out of pretty much nothing. I loved watching him play, his composure, motion around the field when he didn't have the ball. Schneijder.... A great player who definitely helped Netherlands attain the world cup final. If and when he changes clubs, he will shine again. Cheers
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
I agree with Cantona, they are all very good players, definitely not over-rated
I agree with Cantona, they are all very good players, definitely not over-rated
Torres.... 50 million? That was more than twice the price he was worth when Chelsea bought him (He was having a bad spell at Anfield at that time). He is a good striker who showed that he cud have a clinical finish during his first seasons at Liverpool, but he has never been able to change his game to adapt to the way the players around him play. Rooney for example, when he was played as lone striker and he didn't see much of the ball, well, he would come back and try to get it somehow.
Torres definitely tops my list of over-rated players. I don't think Villas Boas would have bought him. Abramovic wanted Torres, that's why Chelsea bought him
Torres for 50 mil was ridiculous
Rfarya (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Torres, although people are starting to realize it now.... I don't think chicarito is over-rated, he's just a poacher so he doesn't stand out in matches but that's his job.... Just look at how many goals he scored for mexico !
Hwrdprkns (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I think the most overrated player in the EPL right now is Edin Dzeko. In my opinion, he was kind of a waste
Timmy124 (Blackburn Rovers) 2 years ago
Dzeko suffers when Mancini doesn't play regulation wingers (he likes playing left footed wingers like johnson on the right/nasri on the left so they cut in and shoot with their dominant foot). Look at the way he dismantled Tottenham and then tell me he's overrated. Probably not worth what he was bought for, but when have City ever paid market value for a player?
On that note - Joe Hart. I think there's definitely a lot better keepers in the PL (Vorm) who would make City's defence look a lot better.
Edit: grammar - derp
Dzeko was an absolute beast in Bundesliga, one of the best strikers there in the last decade. He might be a bit over-rated considering the price paid for him, that's true. But in general, he is surely one of the best strikers in the Premier league. I think he would do much better in teams with wingers (basically what Timmy is saying), e. G. Tottenham
Totaldribble 2 years ago
He might sneak into the top 5 on form but he's not that great.  Agree that he's over-rated and over-priced for what Man City paid
I would have to disagree. Edin Dzeko has showed he can hold up the ball superbly. He is a good finisher, althogh sometimes he can make a mess out of a chance. The transfer fee may have been high and his wages are high too. Although, if you ask 10 people who are the 5 best strikers are a doubt any of them would say dzeko
Totaldribble 2 years ago
On form yeah. I'd say Balotelli and Aguero are both better than him at City. Then Rooney, RVP, Suarez & Bent are all better
I think it's very hard, if not impossible, to compare different types of strikers. For example, Bent (as a poacher) has a very different role than Dzeko (a target man)
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Torres, Lol I think people don't know what overrated means.

Torres gets so much s**t and is being ranked with Emile Heskey on how terrible he is at times, Overrated not over priced. Its been a solid one year and barely anyone rates him, except a few "faithful"
Solid year?! How so? Lol
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Once again, By solid, I don't mean the content, I mean its been a year
Totaldribble 2 years ago
Nani is one of the most one-dimensional players I have seen - Over-rated
Lenterre7 (Sporting CP Lisbon) 2 years ago
You are deluded...
One dimensional doesn't necessarily mean over-rated, just look at Robben!
Nani is not over-rated. He play olny one way(dribbling at defenders and making crosses) and he is not that creative but what he does he does well. Not over-rated
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I don't think Torres is over-rated at all. Most people have accepted that he just isn't the player of before anymore.

Anyways a short list for me:

Theo Walcott: The guy has so much hype but I don't see what is so special about him. He is fast sure but he can't use that speed while dribbling the ball and uses that speed poorly when attacking and beating the offside trap.

Julio Cesar: Most people rate him highly as a goal keeper but I just don't see what makes him so great. He is fairly inconsistent and is poor whenever the ball is shot to the top third of the goal
Evoked87 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Walcott recently picked up form.... But not sure if anyone has really considered him as world class. Though currently he is a very handy player, Messi & Barca feared him during the clash, he plays well against Chelsea too. Maybe a big game player lol.

J. Cesar has been on a downhill, so he was good.

It is hard to name overrated players, overrated by price tag or media speculation?
I don't think walcott is over-rated
Gareth Barry - Good but somehow became for years an England indisputable starter by equally overrated manager Fabio Cappello.

Gerard Pique - Doesn t look half the player when not playing alongside Puyol. When playing on his own, without Puyol to come up with brilliant last second challenges, he gets exposed time and time again.

Wesley Snijder - Is obviously a very good player, but is portrayed by most as the miracle solution to Man United's midfield problems, along with being rated amongst the very best midfielders in the world, when there s at least ten better players playing the same position.

Robin Van Persie - More of a controversial one ha.... Great player, would never usually put him in this list (although reccurent injury problems), however heard the Champions League commentary yesterday where Wenger but also pundits started comparing and rating him on the same level as Ronaldo and Messi.come on now, let s be serious....

Totaldribble 2 years ago
Barry is far from over-rated, every England fan bitched about him since the world cup and the news that the was the slowest player in the premiership gave people even more room to moan about him.
Even Man City fans are divided when rating him or not

Rvp - great player, possibly over rated at this minute but its the only time since he's been at Arsenal he's played consistently for over a year, and he's still had niggles in that time. With the form he's in right now, he deserves the praise

Snijder - can you name 10 player better than him who Man Utd can afford/would be open to moving there?
I second Total on this one !
I'll won't argue against Pique being over-rated (which I personally don't think so) but the thing about defending is that to truly be a good defender you need a good defensive partner. Vidic would not be the defender he is without Ferdinand and vice-versa.

Perhaps he isn't a complete defender but pairing well with others shouldn't take away from a player
I was talking about Barry on the managerial side of things. If he was disliked by the fans after (!) the WC, it s obviously because he was given the indisputable starting role all the way up to the WC and at the WC itself. Place given to him for no reason. If you re average but given indisputable starting status in the England team, there must be some over-rating by someone isn t it?

For Snijder I was only saying I can name ten better players better than him at his position (which you probably can too if you think about it), I said nothing about with Man United being able to afford it or not

Then RVP was a little controversy on purpose but I do believe the hype is gonna' keep growing too far (like it always does on Sky Sports) and they will continue to try compare him with Ronaldo and Messi, which is ridiculous

Gareth Bale - Even as a Spurs symphatizer, I have to admit that Bale is somewhat over-rated. Don't get me wrong, he's a huge talent and he already looks very mature on the pitch, but the English media have the tendency to blow things out of proportion. Obviously, if he played like he did vs. Inter all the time, he would probably be one of the best players in the world, but a few games like that shouldn't be enough to earn you the best EPL player award.

Higuain - He was favoured over Milito in the WC, and is usually rated higher than Benzema, I just can't understand that.
Higuain is a skill, but definately over-rated. He can score good goals, but if other players were in his shoes they would have done the same. Plus, to me he doesn't work hard enough
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Agreed. A talent on the pitch, but not really someone you would spend your transfer season looking at...
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
Gareth bale  Conor wickham  Ben foster
Just putting down a thought.... I find Pele to be overrated (as world's greatest player ever) now that he said that Messi is not a 'great' because he hasn't won much with Argentina. I believe that if Pele were to play today, he would not have the same fame as he had then, probably because football tactics have changed since. Players tend to foul you if necessary before you reach the box (and even obtain a yellow card in doing so) if they think you have a chance of scoring. That's why I find that Messi is the greatest football player that anyone has seen so far, simply because of his ability to dribble (with the ball almost glued to his feet) at the speed he does. His precision simply deserves admiration also. Messi aside, I think Maradona was better than Pele in producing beautiful football. After all football IS the 'beautiful game'
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
How dare you! LOL!
I think Ronaldo (R9) was and is better than all 3 of them. Pele has a point about Messi not being able to perform on the international stage but, Pele never played in Europe where most of the competition was which is something Messi has over him. And as for Maradona, well, like Rick James once said, "Cocaine is a hell of a drug. " Lmao
Totaldribble 2 years ago
Well said! I agree Pele most overated player, EVER
Pele does recieve loads of attention, but I think he deserves most of it. Saying messi isn't as great because he has not won anything with argentina is plain wrong. Pele had a great team behind him in Brazil. Nothing against argentina but they don't have the best national team. Messi has a great team in barcelona. It would also be plain wrong for messi to say "pele isn't as great as me because he hasn't won any European championships" although as humble as messi is I don't think he would ever say that. Pele was in a different time than we are in now. He probably couldn't survive in football now, but he doesn't have to. He lived back then and how he would have played now doesn't make a difference. Pele was the first great footballer. He played in a time when their was nothing to copy. Nothing to learn from. He was innovative and creative. He had to be to be as great as he was. Youtube pele. You will find him doing things that people are doing now. I mean he made the bike popular. To say the first great footballer(even if he says some things that are wrong and gets lots of attention) is over-rated is wrong
I totally agree that Pele is the first great footballer (to quote your own words). But he is not the greatest ever. That was my point.
I know which video you talking about be. T. W, and it is really great. Football amateurs should check it out
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
If your talking about money-wise then I'd have to say that pretty much every player in football. I'ms sorry but, I love football and the fact that people are being payed millions of dollars to play is just ridiculous. It's not like they're even contributing anything to society. It's sad to think that Doctor's, Construction workers and Police Officers don't even make a quarter of what these players do. All they do is play twice a week and party almost everyday. It's sad but, that's life.

Football-wise, I'd have to say every English player. I'm not trying to be rude but, the fact that England hasn't won anything since 1966 is enough to be considered over-rated, IMO. Also, The EPL is one of the best leagues in the world only because all the foreign players make it one of the best. If the EPL got rid of every foreign player and had just English players then they would be, how the English say, "Rubbish. "

P. S: This is just my opinion. Lol
Unfortunately the world has changed overall. Take the salaries for example.... Those jobs which come with fame and fortune, and are not essential to the 'survival' of a society, example actors, athletes, singers.... However they pay quite more than jobs important for a society. That's where we are today around the globe dude.... Harsh reality !
Windchoco (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Ahh....

The place to vent my fustration, and I am not even an Arsenal fan.

Arshavin is v overrated. Doesn't want to work hard and not really much of a threat going forward against Fulham.

Arsenal came alive after he was substituted.
Arshavin was a great player.

He isn't overrated as he peaked in 2008, and has been on the decline ever since, he rarely ever starts now

Overrate is a tough concept but in my opinion it is when a player was never actually as good as they say he is
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Edit: Sorry, double post! See next page

Kick4Life - changing lives through football