Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Monaco Will Rule...very Soon.
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 1 year ago
Keep an eye on Monaco. Money is being spent and top form players are coming there.... Like Falcao and Carvalho.... With more to follow.... Looks like a classic Russian Billionaire Spending Spree Hell Bent on Winning scenario.... And with Ranieri managing.... This could be quite an interesting team to follow for the next few years.... I predict they will challenge and win the French title within 2 years and will be a force in European play.... And word has it that Billionaire Rybolovlev is staying out of the way.... Always a good sign.

If they do as predicted it will be cool to see a small club like that on the scene! Your thoughts?

Their half/half sash has to go though.... Horrible.
Ekoj (Perspolis) 1 year ago
That's why I like bundesliga
Noir853 (Juventus) 1 year ago
My thoughts? Money Will Rule, Money Rules
Always has
Thirteengoals (Arsenal) 1 year ago
One money to rule them all and in the darkness pay them off
Thirteengoals (Arsenal) 1 year ago
One money to rule them all and in the darkness pay them off
SpurredForward (Tottenham Hotspur) 1 year ago
MoneyCo? The new superpower of Ligue 1? I should start cheering for a Quidditch team. Soccer is becoming embarassingly lowclass
Sorry. Misspelled. $occer
Marmitton (Monaco) 1 year ago
Paris will dominate Ligue 1 for the next 3 years at least....

Don't forget that Monaco is freshly promoted from Ligue 2, this is not a competitive team yet!

This first season, the objective will just be to reach a european competition.
Maybe maybe not.... One thing for sure is it will be a compelling story.... Not usually the case for French footy.... Lol...
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 1 year ago
^ That is slightly ignorant. Ligue One is always interesting, now it just has more stars
[account-removed] 1 year ago
They will probably challenge for the title if they buy some more top players. They don't have enough top players to win the title at the moment. As for qualifying for UEFA, I would like to see what happens when they apply for the licence. Their matchday revenue is really small. Broadcasting revenue will increase by doing well in Ligue 1, and as for their sponsorship revenue, lets see. I don't think their commercial revenue will come anywhere near the top clubs in the next few years, and they will need a marketing team in place to do so. Just having a rich owner buying top players doesn't fix that problem.

First PSG, and now Monaco. I don't see the league title going anywhere else for the short term, and maybe even the long term. Whats the point of clubs running with sustainable methods? I don't see how Auxurre, Lyon, Marseille, etc adopting sustainable strategies will win the league. They, and all football clubs should just get in bed with some billionaire each. Then football will properly crash and burn in Europe, all for the sake of entertainment of the casual fans. Not a damn person thinks about the long term anymore. Everyone focused on shortcuts and how to get the top as fast as possible.

No one cares about, nor thinks about, how will increasing football clubs wage bills be taken care. When clubs like PSG and Monaco jump in the scene, the wages they offer are more than what sustainable clubs can offer. That means each category/class of players will get/expect a wage increase because their peers are getting the same in PSG and Monaco. Only the bigger of the sustainable clubs might be able to pay that and try to keep up, but the smaller of the sustainable clubs will have no chance and will give up (which is 3/4th of the entire Ligue 1).

This is the problem I have with unsustainable clubs and their fans. They don't think about the fallouts of the spending. The wage increases they spark can't be matches by the others. Yes, wages are always rising, but it used to rise at a rate when all clubs have chances of keeping up. Now, with unsustainable clubs on the scene, the other clubs can't keep up, because the working models both types of clubs employ is totally different.

Unsustainable club, lets call Club A, is working with no limits, like a high school kid, son of a billionaire, shopping for a whole day with his dads credit card.
Sustainable club, lets call Club be, is working with limit, son of a normal family, having to plan stuff out and when, how, where to buy stuff and taking time in doing so.

The models that Club A and be use are totally different, and how can be keep up or catch up to A?

Sometimes I wish United would stop trying to play fair with our peers in the EPL and just go for broke like City, Chelsea, Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Monaco, etc are up to. We should act show no mercy to others and try to get most of the TV revenue pie in the EPL. Instead, we have constantly prevented such moves from happening, the most recent proposal in favour of La Liga style TV revunue was brought up by Liverpool, and the 2 clubs to shoot that idea down first were Wigan and United.

If we acted like dicks, just for our own sake, and for the sake of entertainment of the casuals, we would end up buying a Cristiano Ronaldo and Falcao every single summer transfer window.

At a loss for words. How can people be a fan of Chelsea and Wigan? Swansea and PSG? Everton and City? Makes no sense to me, when one in each set is a sustainable club, and the other is someones toy. Football makes no sense anymore. Sort of Chelsea fans. Where they came from, I have no idea. Only met United, Liverpool and Arsenal fans pre-2003. City fans? Never saw one before 2008. Valencia fans? Zero. Never met one. Every Liga fan is either Barca and RM, and will be that way, until Liga finally crumbles after enough of the smaller clubs go totally bankrupt trying to keep up with the top 2.

Thank goodness for the FFP. As long as UEFA have some steel in their balls, this could save the crazy road to destruction that football is on. If they don't have the guts, then football will eventually get hit very hard in Europe, which 99% of fans didn't care to see the signs for, because why sacrifice entertainment for building something long term?

If Monaco, City, PSG are projects, than what is Swansea? Imo, Swansea is a project, the sugar daddy clubs, are kids of billionaires with their parents credit cards on a shopping spree. But it is these sugar daddy clubs that will gain support, while the real projects will be ignored.

The more sugar daddy clubs that show up onto the scene, the more the sustainable established clubs (United, Bayern, etc) are going to be building the commercial revenue base. This pretty much gained traction in 2003 when Chelsea, and its legions of never before seen fans, showed up. Now with even more of such clubs in the scene, its no surprise that the United and Bayerns are going for broke in the commercial revenue sector trying to keep up with the Citys, Chelsea, PSGs, etc. As for the Swanseas, Wigans, etc, they have no chance. The sugar daddy clubs spending scared the established clubs into working harder on making sure they don't become irrelevant. The Swanseas and Wigans can't play that game, so count them out. They are sitting on garden chairs, making up the numbers, waiting for football to crash proper, or for these sugar daddy clubs to come to their senses before it all comes crashing down. But first, it is the leagues and UEFA that needs to get strict, and protect football from itself. Then the fans of these sort of clubs to come to their senses, since majority of them became fans of them within the past 10 years and help these unsustainable clubs not only exist, but also make the small clubs with sustainable but ambitious projects, totally irrelevant.

No time for building things and long term projects. Its all about short cuts, rope in a billionaire, get to the top, and to hell with your peers and the sport and whatever impact you have on them.

YGunz (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Good point but you are telling me bayern and Man UTD are not big spenders GTFO meaning get the f$$K out of here
Good point but you are telling me bayern and Man UTD are not big spenders GTFO meaning get the f$$K out of here
@YGunz

Sure, United and Bayern do spend money. But they are sustainable clubs. As for wages, that too is sustainable. When they increased their transfer spending or wage budget, it was done using constraints that most of other clubs have as well.

Take United for example, how many 30 million pound players have we bought in one season? As for wages, we exercise restraint. Can you imagine how scary United would have been if they monopolised the TV revenue and were owned by a Sheikh? I don't want that to happen to United, because it will not be the same United I support. They would be an abomination.

If you want to act like a c**t, I suggest you offer your services to the nearest pimp. Either act like an adult (which you arent since you are too shy to even put your age in your profile), or piss off if you don't want to have a proper discussion
Wow no kneed for the insult and act like and adult huh. Clearly you are acting like a child with name calling.

Lets be honest Man UTD united and bayern have been destabilizing the competition to they advantage as long as I can remember. Matter of fact you don't even have to go that far back. Alex fagi didn't win anything last year what does he do(hmmmm) wait a minute was BVB the only competition standing up to bayern so far and where are there best players headed(hmmm), so let me get this straight you try to make a point and trust me I get your point, but you are acting like Man UTD and bayern are innocent of the crime.... Arsenal and BvB innocent Man UTD and bayern well I let you decide you get the point
Wow no kneed for the insult and act like and adult huh. Clearly you are acting like a child with name calling.

Lets be honest Man UTD united and bayern have been destabilizing the competition to they advantage as long as I can remember. Matter of fact you don't even have to go that far back. Alex fagi didn't win anything last year what does he do(hmmmm) wait a minute was BVB the only competition standing up to bayern so far and where are there best players headed(hmmm), so let me get this straight you try to make a point and trust me I get your point, but you are acting like Man UTD and bayern are innocent of the crime.... Arsenal and BvB innocent Man UTD and bayern well I let you decide you get the point
@YGunz

Name calling? What did you say to me in your first post?

Also, can you spell? Passed 4th grade yet? Kneed or need? They or their? Fagi or Ferguson?

Anyways, Bayern did what any other club would do. They tried to buy Gotze, and they succeeded. I am not saying Bayern conducted themselves immaculately in that purchase, but any other club would have tried to buy him, especially when Gotze's buyout clause was so low. This was Dortmund's mistake, but I am sure they will learn from that, which is "trust no one".

As for United, what did Sir Alex do wrong? We lost the league last year, went into the market to strengthen the forward line. Lost out on Hazard and Lucas Moura. RVP became available, we gave a bid to Arsenal, they accepted, we gave RVP a contract, and he joined us. What did we do wrong here? Did we poach RVP behind Arsenals back? Did we put a gun to Arsenal's head?

BVB is an upcoming club, and they have a long way to go in terms of financial strength. They made the mistake of putting a low transfer clause in Gotze's contract and I am sure they will learn from it. As for Bayern's part, they should have conducted themselves with some class, but take that up with Sammer, not me.

I will quit the name calling, if you are prepared to speak like an adult. But first take a look at your first post. You told me to "gtfo", and you expected me not to retort?!
Yo listen alex fagi has been outbidding guys that we were after for years. Hint recently with Zaha you are not afraid of anything but the competition for the market is too high no longer do you control the market. Example Hazard and Moura you finnaly got the test of you own medicine, so don't try to tell me that Man UTD are angels I can name plenty of times where we were after a player and you guys outbid as...
@YGunz    Ok, I call your bluff. Give me names of players United have outbid other big clubs for recently?
Zaha, Kagawa, Chris smalling, phil jones, and even wayne Roney unless you were in the cave some where these are all player Wenger was after and he had to pull out because united were splashing the cash
@YGunz

Rooney? I don't recall that. It was only us and Newcastle that were after him. They bid for him, so we were forced into a bid, and he chose us.

Kagawa? He prefers to play for Manchester United. That is the club most recognised and followed in Japan, even before he transferred. Arsenal didn't stand a chance to get him once our name was involved.

Zaha? He is an Arsenal fan from what I hear, but you guys werent willing to pay what Crystal Palace wanted, if I am not mistaken. Is that Uniteds fault, or Arsenals? Btw, you guys got Ox and Ramsey, who we were interested in.

Smalling? Bad luck. He prefers to join us over Arsenal. Phil Jones? Same, he prefers to join us over Arsenal. Why? Oh I don't know, maybe the fact you havent won anything in ages and its better to develop as a footballer (along with winning titles) in United than Arsenal.

Your complaints are something you should take up with Wenger. He prefers to spend money on average players instead of the good ones. Is it Uniteds fault that when good players are on the market, Arsenal is totally broke because they prefer to buy the Gervinho's, Chamakh's, Squillaci's and Giroud's of this world?

You need to research the financial implications of Wenger's mistakes, because you are putting the blame on United's doorstep for no reason. Arsenal isn't challenging for titles because of Wenger
Ok here we go so wait it's our fault that you guys want to pay a higher wage plus more transfer fee then us. I guess you are right you did outbids us lol
Have you never seen the wage comparisons of the EPL clubs in the past few years and what everyone is spending on? Arsenal were pretty close to us in wages until a year or back, which is when we pulled away. Using your logic, you bought 4th place then, since your wage bill is 40 million pounds more than Spurs?
@khilid789 thank for proving my points I know rest my case
@YGunz

Did you not understand the question? Fine, I will repeat and make it easier for you to understand. Using your logic, do you mean to say that Arsenal bought 4th spot, since your wage bill is 40 million higher than Spurs?
Love this. Its a pitty this guy's account was removed. YGunz should get back to his Fifa '13  
Cloudst 1 year ago
Monaco will not compete with the defence they have come on guys Ligue 1 is a defensive league and they struggled dearly in ligue 2 against lower teams what's to say they'll succeed? They only signed Ricardo Carvalho on defence their full backs and CB's are distinctly average and it's not likely they'll challenge. A team that will challenge is OM next season they are making the right moves but PSG like Marmitton said is still going to drive Ligue 1 for years to come and forget that France has DNCG which will force teams to balance their teams wages it'll work out in the end to balance the league out
If I am not mistaken, the DNCG is not like the FFP. As long as losses can be paid for by the owner, then Monaco are in the clear
Cloudst 1 year ago
"Formations Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 continue to accumulate negative and dig their losses. Without the strong support of shareholders, wealthy (like Qatar for Paris SG) or not, bankruptcy is expected several clubs at the end of the season."

Link: www.lfp.fr/dncg/rapport_annuel_2011_2012/1112_rapp...

Its in french so idk if you'll understand lol

Dncg favors Monaco because of their tax break laws in Monaco (which are separate from France), in short yes it will favor them in a way because of that. But other clubs like PSG will be hard to completely grip Ligue 1 and the French FA is serious about trying to incur heavy penalties to heavy spending clubs as they know the prospect of Monaco spending. They will figure out a loophole they aren't ones to stray on issues of economy in Ligue 1 and 2
Cloudst 1 year ago
Double post
Well. In coming over inflated deals like the Etihad one, which UEFA and France won't really investigate imo. A DNCG official said PSG spending was good for French football and getting it into the worlds eye, so I think PSG and Monaco will be fine with the DNCG. They will probably be fine with FFP as long as they can find friends in powerful positions in major companies to sponsor them
VANCE6 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
Marco materrazzi
VANCE6 (Liverpool) 1 year ago
No that's not right

Kick4Life - changing lives through football