Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Liverpool And Everton Using The Same Pitch?
KTown (1. Kaiserslautern) 4 years ago
Link: www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/842322-liverpool-an...

I'm not a fan of either team, however, I don't like the idea of two different clubs from the same league calling the same stadium home. It takes away the individuality of the team and what should be a source of pride for the fans. Some places are more famous (infamous?) than others and really define a team and the town it is in. The only such arrangement I can think of at this current moment is in American football with the Giants and Jets both playing in the New Meadowlands Stadium; both have been using this arrangement since 1984, when they played in the old Giants Stadium and it has managed to work. It gave the impression that the Jets were just borrowing space from the Giants.

What do the Liverpool and Everton faithful think about this? Or would anyone else want to have their beloved club share the pitch with the rival from across town?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
It might be a good idea for lower league clubs to help with finance, but I agree with you that the big clubs all need their identity.
I hope none of the british clubs ever have to share.
And no way would we share a ground with the nosiey neighbours, and the council house better known as wastelands is too small for our support, and we don't want them soiling our seats at old trafford.... Lol
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
Economically it is not a bad idea and ecologically too
After posting, I remembered that Bayern and 1860 Munich share Allianz Arena, but play in two different levels of the Bundesliga- not exactly the same as the Giants and Jets. I did some research and discovered that both teams payed into the New Meadowlands Stadium and will share in its revenue. It is designed to be "team neutral" in outward appearance, until a game is played, then things like billboards, banners, logos and lights are changed to reflect the home team, as well as the end zones and outside skin of the stadium, just like Allianz Arena, using the same technology. Both even have separate locker rooms specifically designed for each.

This seems like a much better setup in that it gives both teams and fans the feeling of having their own venue; old Giants Stadium was built for and occupied by one team for eight years before the other one moved in and Jets fans and players basically knew the place wasn't theirs. Now both teams and fans have a vested interest in their new home and it is almost like having it to themselves.

The biggest difference between this situation and Liverpool and Everton sharing a field is the Giants and Jets have been together for twenty six years and everyone is used to the arrangement. Starting new will be extremely tough and fraught with animosity, bitterness, loss of identity and more. This will need to be well thought out and all involved will need to remain open minded in order to see it through, should the time come.

Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I hope not. Sharing a same stadium and field means that the field is being used at twice the amount compared to other fields, and hence it'll become potato field faster than you can maintain them. And in a country where rain is common (I'm not so sure of the season, but Spain definitely have more sun than England), it'll mean maintenance during rainy season is almost impossible.

4 years ago
What a truly bizarre statement. Milan has more rain than Liverpool
So? Read. I'm comparing Spain to England. Where did Milan comes into the picture? I know Milan has to be one of the most wettest city in Europe, and so? Where did Milan comes into the picture? This thread is about Liverpool and Everton using the same pitch
4 years ago
Juno, the original poster is asking about teams that share the same pitch, not just Everton and Liverpool. You mention that ".... It'll become (a) potato field faster than you can maintain them", and, alluding to the fact that, due to the rain ".... It'll mean maintenance during rainy season is almost impossible".

Hence my comparison with the two rainy cities of Liverpool and Milan.
"What a truly bizarre statement. "

You are aiming to provoke a reaction from me. I'm talking about Spain compared with England. You chose to reply under me, ridiculing my statement as bizarre. So where in the whole "I hope not. Sharing a same stadium and field means that the field is being used at twice the amount compared to other fields, and hence it'll become potato field faster than you can maintain them. And in a country where rain is common (I'm not so sure of the season, but Spain definitely have more sun than England), it'll mean maintenance during rainy season is almost impossible. " statement is it so bizarre to you? If I mentioned Milan definitely have more sun than England, then perhaps its bizarre. But how so is it?

4 years ago
I found it bizarre you didn't mention AC MIlan, your team. We never hear complaints about the state of the pitch at the San Siro
Its so bizarre.... Enlighten me...
4 years ago
I would have thought that out of everyone, a Milan supporter would realise that pitch sharing can and does work, I felt it bizarre that you didn't mention the fact.

I'm not in the habit of having arguments with faceless people on the internet, so I will leave it at that.
Duh. I know. You are only interested in provoking reactions
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Definetly against this idea. I can't imagine it.... Not even in my bad dream. The atmosphere and the feeling you have when you go to a stadium which belongs to a club is totally different than visiting a "shared" stadium. A stadium and especially "Anfield" is a monument. Those places remind us of the glory nights and players. Don't want to throw these things away in order to share a place with someone else because of economical things...
4 years ago
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza anyone?!?    Commonly known as the San Siro?!?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yep, shared by AC Milan and another team on other side of Milano.

Sharing stadia is pretty common in Italy.... Many teams like Genoa, Samp, Lazio, Roma, etc
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
Juventus and Torino used to share a pitch - Stadio del Alpi. However only when Torino were playing in Serie be. When promoted they found a different stadium. Now that Juve are rebuilding the Del Alpi Torino has to find a new ground, simply because Juve owned it in the first place. With Liverpool and Everton unless it was a joint ownership it would not work
Adrianatorfire (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well, I can't see many advantages against cons for sharing a stadium but look at AC and Inter Milan, they aren't exactly crying are they?
Juveseria (Juventus) 4 years ago
Definitely wouldn't be crying if my team played at one of the best stadiums in the world
In the case of AC and Inter, they have been playing at the San Siro since 1947 and Genoa and Sampdoria have shared Stadio Luigi Ferraris since 1946. I think it makes a big difference when clubs have been sharing a pitch for decades as it is something that multiple generations have been exposed to and probably regard as no big deal. That isn't to say that the fans of those teams wouldn't like to have a place to call their own, but a lot of time has passed and it might also be a part of Italian culture to accept this arrangement
Wonder if Italians share their wags or not.... Since they share stadiums, players.... Etc.... Hehe...
Sophiehart (Linfield) 4 years ago
It’s good, what’s the bad in it, I don’t think so it’s a bad idea. We should stick with their games rather than criticising the venues and places

Kick4Life - changing lives through football