Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Van Persie That Dangerous?
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I am getting annoyed that everyone is talking about how great of a player and dangerous player Van Persie is on the field. You might disagree with me but this is just my two cents.

Van Persie is a great finisher (his volley against Everton) and scores many goals for Arsenal. I'm not a big fan of Arsenal so I haven't watch much of their games except for highlights and few games. But from what I saw of his 22 goals so far, if I counted correctly....

13 goals were tap in or shots from around the 6yrd box.
2 goals were 1v1
1 goal from pk
6 goals were great shots from around the 18yrs box including headers and freekicks.

All this conclude that he is a great finisher.

Of his 22 goals (again, if I am correct), 19 of his goals were assisted from another player. The other three goals were from a free kick, a penalty, not sure about the other one.

In conclusion, Van Persie is not a dangerous player. He does not create his own goal like Messi or Ronaldo who ARE dangerous. Most of all, Van Persie is not the danger man in the Arsenal team. Arsenal IS NOT a one man team. The players to watch out for in Arsenal are Gervinho, Chamberlain, Walcott, Song, and Ramsey. These players are the provider, they create everything and all Van Persie have to do is finish. If Torres was in Arsenal, Torres could had scored close to 22 goals also.

My whole point to this is that.... ....
1. Van Persie is not the threat.
2. The most dangerous players are Walcot (7 assists), Gervinho (5 assists- more if he wasn't away for the African Cup), Chamerlain (1 assist and more to come), Song (5 assists), and Ramsey (4 assists).
3. Arsenal is not a one man team. Van Persie is the target player, all the balls are played to him, he gets most of the goals.
4. Van Persie is a little overrated and all the other Arsenal players are underrated (except for their defence).
Malik (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Its ridiculous to say that RVP is not a threat,
Its true he doesent creat chances on his own, but still he poses great danger in front of opponents goal, he is not fast like messi or cristina but he is capable to scoring from long range, his main asset is his deadly left foot, with which he had scored lot of beautiful goals,
To compare him with messi or cristina is kinda unfair, I would rather compare him with M. Gomez l, as he(RVP) & M. G both falls in category of poachers
Ltm017 2 years ago
And what exactly would you say if he didn't score? Where was Arsenal without him? They are a much better team with him. Do you think missing Gervinho or Walcott would have as big of as impact on the team? Either way I can somewhat understand if you are saying that creating chances is what makes a player much more dangerous. However, what is the point of creating all the chances if you can't have an awesome player who knows how to position himself and finish?
Ahmadillomon (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You have to watch our games man then you will understand. A CF is so much more than a goalscorer or even a provider. Rooney isn't really known for assisting much also but we all know how he contributes to an attack, how he kicks it off.

You know how you said gervinho and ramsey and walcott are the providers with that many assists? RVP is the player who brings them into the game. More than a few times, you will see RVP come deep, deliver a great ball from a great run by these players and then go up, get involved again, and finish.

It is the CF role in the 433 system. Either a physical target man or a deep lying forward like rvp (or rooney but Man UTD play a 442), these players have the role of bringing the other players into the game, holding the ball and such. I've written longer posts about this and so I'm abit tired of explaining it but you get the slight idea.

Watch our games mate and you will understand. Torres in arsenal won't only not score, but will bring the team down as well, plainly because he doesn't have the ability to bring players into the attack. Prolific scorer yes, but not so much a creative team player
Alexinho (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Persie has a history of playing as a winger as well and have proven he is able to play others good as well.

This makes the argument about Gervinho been more influencing for Blackburn than Persie invalid (Written in a reply farther down on the subject).

Oh for the assist record so far this season, may I also add that Van Persie got than 8. This is one more than walcott at 2nd place for arsenal with his 7. (Figures from Premier league as I am making this comment). When you add that Persie is the top goalscorer for Arsenal and he obviously can't assist himself, this in reality would mean he has assisted way higher % of the other team mates goals than Walcott has and the figures will be even greater distance between them:

Arsenal goals in EPL: 53
RVP's goals in EPL: 23
Theo Walcott's goals in EPL: 5

Arsenal goals excluding RVP's goals: 30
Arsenal goals excluding The Walcott's goals: 48

8/30>7/47
8x100/30=26, 67%
7x100/48=14, 58%
26, 67%>14, 58%
Percentage influence on the assists been done for team mates in EPL so far this season. RVP get way to much credit for his goals compared to his assists for the team. Of course he is even better as their finisher, but that does only make this even more impressive figures to me. To give you a picture of what I am saying, it would be harder to make a player like Heskey score than a player like Rooney.

You could try to go deeper into the game and analyse it but unless you are purposely tricking with the figures around here the result will be that RVP is the most influencing player for Arsenal with their playing philosophy today when it comes to the attacking aspect of the game.

P. S. Please excuse any writing errors I've made, I hope you get the meaning with this comment despise those errors
Atnighthawk (AFC Telford United) 2 years ago
Van Persie is dangerous if you give him room for a shot on the left foot, he also looks the most comfortable on the ball in the Arsenal team most of the time. However, he is usually awful for Holland.... No idea why, must be a confidence thing. I also seem to recall Udinese (hardly known for their defending really) shut down the Arsenal attack for a long time and if you recall correctly, that back 3 all were not first choice and had never played together properly until the 1st leg!. AC Milan handlily shut him off due to him having no supply, if he has supply he is very dangerous, but even then a good defender man marking could stifle that supply. So yes dangerous, but he's no Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ronaldo of Brazil, Bergkamp etc, he doesn't make goals out of nothing, just can find space, control and shoot very very well. I actually like Van Persie, I'm just saying he is really really good, but he isn't in that very top rung of players
PortYoder (Arsenal) 2 years ago
He is dangerous as in he will he doesn't make mistakes and he will punish the defenders for any lack of marking. He also moves very well off the ball. He does not create many chances for himself, but he is a master at completing the chances given to him (Torres has been given countless opportunities which he has failed to convert, so that was a pretty poor example by you). I think the best comparison you could make to RVP is Eto'o: they are both creative and incredibly efficient with finishing. The main difference is that Eto'o is much faster. They are both as important to the team as any other player on the pitch. I am a center mid and don't score much, so I can see what you are talking about, but you were definitely a little harsh here
Threkstari (Arsenal) 2 years ago
He isn't dangerous at all. Just checked his police records and guess what? They are clean! Whata fvcking letdown. I mean apart from the occasional parking tickets I didn't find anything that proves that he poses danger to anyone
Exactly. See, an Arsenal fan agreed with me. Hahahaha
PortYoder (Arsenal) 2 years ago
You pretty proud of that? JK
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Sarcasm. Jpg
Jonny (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Interesting article, you've made good points. I would still conclude that van Persie is the "danger man" because he's doing all the scoring. Also, the other player's real danger element, goal-scoring potential, is primarily assist-oriented not scoring-oriented, so at times they over-rely on someone that is good at scoring (van Persie) instead of scoring themselves. You're right in saying that Arsenal is not a one-man team. They have a bunch of talented players that are good at making van Persie look good
True that.... Arsenal have players that are good at making Van Persie look good. The thing is that Van Persie is not the "danger man" if Gervinho, Walcot, Chamberlain, and the other providers are closed down
HenryK (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Of course Van Persie doesn't create his own goals you mutt, Arsenal play teamwork football. No Arsenal player produces many solo goals. The goal scoring statistics for the entire team mimic those of Van Persie specifically. Most of them are from close range, some are from around the edge of the box, and a few are headers or penalties. Your claim is a massive extrapolation. The fact is Van Persie's movement is exceptional, he reads the play, and gets himself into advantageous positions. He's also on track for the golden boot, how do you explain that?
What's your point about Van Persie and the golden boot? Berbatov won it with Tevez last season and he was behind Rooney and Hernandez on playing time. Now behind Welbeck
My point is that no other Arsenal players are scoring the kinds of goals that Van Persie doesn't score- namely messi-esque solo goals. Van Persie scores the types of goals that Arsenal as a team scores. You can't say that Van Persie isn't capable of scoring great solo goals, because that's just not what he's out there to do, that's not how Arsenal plays. My point about the Golden Boot is that it will likely be his this season, and with 35 goals in 2011 how can you deny that he's dangerous? Also your Berbatov example only furthers my argument. Berbatov needed to be efficient to claim the golden boot. Thus he was 'dangerous'. You can't win the golden boot if you aren't dangerous
Agree that Gomez and Van Persie are more alike since Bayern also play a 4-2-3-1 and Gomez scores a lot of similar goals as RVP. The main point is that they aren't dangerous unless someone else create a goal scoring opportunity. Close down Ribery, Kroo, Muller, Robben, and Gomez will most likely never score. Close down Walcot, Gervinho, Ramsey, and RVP will most likely not had gotten 22 goals this season
That's a moot point. How is it that Van Persie doesn't create goal scoring opportunities if he is getting himself into the position to score? When players are defending Van Persie, they're obviously conscious of his threat so they mark him, thus giving supporting players room. It's the same for Barcelona. You can set your entire team to mark just Messi, but it would be futile because all the other Barca players are capable of creating goals too. With that presence of mind you have to mark other players. You can't define dangerousness by reducing a player to the attributes that allow him to score goals. Messi is faster and more nimble than Van Persie, and subsequently he scores goals from his mazing runs. Van Persie plays more tactically, he finds the space to set himself up to score. I agree that Messi is more dangerous than Van Persie, but that does not mean that Van Persie is not one of the most inform and dangerous strikers right now
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Put simply, yes very much so. You must have never watched Robin as a young player because he created a lot more goals for himself back in those days, then he does now. He still relies on a bit of service, but he can definitely create for himself. His role nowadays in this Arsenal team is to score goals and no one can argue that he isn't doing it expertly. Torres would not have 22 goals if he was playing in a Sunday league team right now, he just doesn't have the confidence or the form. RVP has adopted into a true number nine when before he could play on the wing if you needed him to. He has one of the best touches in the game though in my opinion. A real world class talent.

My only criticism of him would be that he isn't good enough in big matches but that could be unfair.

As an answer to your question. Is RVP really that dangerous? f**k ya
Ltm017 2 years ago
I agree and I think it is a little ridiculous to say he is not dangerous. Unless people consider dangerous to be different things, which I believe everyone has their own viewpoint of dangerous. That being said the point is to score, even if you score tap ins it counts and Arsenal need him to score and that is exactly what he does. He came back from injury and did what he needed to do and frankly that is what a team is there for to help win games. People need to lay off this philosophy that a player has to score an amazing goal or have tons of assists for him to be considered dangerous
Jashank (Liverpool) 2 years ago
A dangerman is someone who poses a huge threat to the opposition goal. A great finisheer automatically becomes a dangerman because he can finish.... Which is the only statistic that counts in a game. Van Persie is a great finisher and many of his goals are amazing. You are completely under rating a tap in goal because it takes a lot of skill and perseverance to get into that position from wher you can tap in a goal. Please don't compare and players to ronaldo and messi because they are exceptional players. But you have to realize (As I said earlier) that the dangerman is a person that poses the biggest threat to the opposition goal.... Which in arsenal's case is Van Persie
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
Van Persie is a threat as he's a great finisher that really takes advantage out of any oppotunity to put the ball in the back of the net. No doubt.
However, within the Arsenal team the real Dangerman is Gervinho to me. That guy is a permanent threat to the opposition (from both flanks) because of his pace, determination and ability to lead astray defenders with decent dummies. Gervinho is a beast!
His return from the Africa Cup of Nations will be a real boost for Gunners for the rest of the season
I guess I am a little bias then since I think that scoring goals are just a little overrated and assists are way too underrated
Zlatan94310- If I was to pick one player, Gervinho will definitely be my choice
Not only the assists but also the crucial runs in between defenders, leading to goal scoring opportunities. It is true that RVP plays alongside top class providers like Ramsey, Arteta, Gervinho or Walcott, but we can't take away his ability to finish which is clinical, and that's what Arsenal expect from him obviously. Yet, it would be perfect if he could really make the difference in top matches.
Messi's goal against Leverkusen was just Brilliant!
You would really take Gervinho over Van Persie? Interesting, I thought I was nuts haha Setting up goals is a hugely important part of the game but let's not take away from someone who can score them. RVP is twice the player of anyone else in the Arsenal squad at the moment, in my opinion
Put Van Persie in a team like Blackburn, Bolton, or any other lower ranked team and he wouldn't score that much. Will Van Persie score as much as Yukubu if he was in Blackburn? Put Gervinho in one of those team and he can still provide and score
Pfff.... Once again as I said above, RVP is an amazing striker who's having a great season with Arsenal, scoring lots of goals and stuff. We all know what he's all about: his finishing, technique, runs, free-kicks are top class.

Now, my point about Gervinho being more dangerous than RVP is because, on the pitch his constant activity and off-the-ball movements, oblige the opposition to stay alert throughout the game. With his dribbling ability and pace, Gervinho would always take on his direct opponents at speed in order to provoke fouls or defensive lapses, he's the danger man on the pitch that provokes fouls, corners, penalties, puts pressure to win the ball back, and of course contributes to the goals. His unpredictability always brings confusion or provides something to worry about, and you can feel it when you watch him play.

Don't get me wrong mate, RVP is Arsenal's best player currently, but for me Gervinho is the danger man
No doubt Gervinho is a good player, but I haven't been that impressed with him this season. He has been quality but you guys are putting some lavish praise on him. Definitely dangerous but he hasn't done anything spectacular this season. Ox looks more dangerous in my opinion.

And again RVP all day over anyone in the Arsenal squad, that's how I feel anyways.

Where are you guys coming up with Robin not being dangerous though? That's what I don't understand. He is one of the best dribblers in the world, he just is in a striker role for the Arse. Look at his goal scoring record for Holland, it's not as prolific because half the time he plays more as a wing attacker than a striker. Guys a wizard with the ball at his feet. Gervinho is class in a glass, I love watching him, great flair and skill but Robin has equal ability with more substance. Again opinion, good to have different ones
"RVP one of the best dribblers in the world".... " OLE' ! " these forums are definitely deteriorating
RVP definitely not a top dribbler
He definitely has one of the best touches in the game. Similar in a way to Bergkamp. Zidane for me was one of the best dribblers to ever exist, because he had such control and touch. I am not comparing RVP to Zidane, but I don't think Zidane was ever considered a top dribbler either. Just because people aren't doing a million step overs doesn't mean they aren't a quality dribbler of the ball. Look at Messi rarely does any tricks, he's the best dribbler in the world.

Arsene Wenger described RVP as Bergkamp with goals. He has a fantastic touch, super awareness and great dribbling quality. As I said when he was growing up he was a winger, and he would make people look foolish. Now it is not really his role anymore but it's still in his locker, I would still put him top 10 dribblers in the world with a ball at his feet

Nothing dangerous about him haha

I rest my case and yes Zlatan they are on the decline
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
These forums are really deteriorating...
Agreed
Oui. These 'authors' don't even use spellcheck
You making fun of my English? For your information, English is my second language. You learn my language and we'll talk.
Also, I just wanted to post something that's been bothering me and see what others have to say....

Ua cas kuv yog mus txub cov tus neeg li kog ua luaj os.
That's unfair, I'm from America where being wordly is less acclaimed than winning a hotdog eating contest. Also, if you are keeping a blog in your second language your first language must not be very important, so no thanks. However, you don't need to know English to use spell check
2 years ago
Spell check does not always correct improper grammar, and from his bi-lingual background hangtime's english seams good. If you want to talk about grammar got to your inner city schools and teach. However I disagree with hangtime's assertion that rvp is not dangerous
Grammar and s**t doesn't matter. A lot of people on the site English is not their first language. It's the idea behind this one that doesn't click with me haha
Ltm017 2 years ago
Yes for his second language his English is really good. My goodness people relax
Well the forum is called 'The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate'. I think the key word here is intelligent
Henry please step down off your high horse and join us down here. Intelligence doesn't always correlate into good language ability, or at least grammatical ability. I just hope your joking but I don't think so haha.

Here I doubt this guy would flourish at grammar school.

But in many ways he possesses far more intelligence then I could ever dream of
The key word is not "intelligent", It's "intelligent footy"
Ay here here Ayyam well said
If you only consider stats, than that's fine, but RVP's game is not built on tap ins, You watch him, he drops back to the midfield to help out, he is good with both foot, and is a perfect forward
Sam6194 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Van persie's presence in the game can always be spotted I mean no doubt majority of the goals might be tap ins but, how come carroll have failed to convert even those tap ins....

Van persie have great vision in the game he can sense the passes that will be delivered to him, he has that sense of creating spaces and making those sharp runs in the box and that is what makes players even more lethal, he has perfect knowledge of his surroundings he knows what to expect and when to expect, and if you would have been watching arsenal on regular basis then you would have noticed how often does alex song picks van persie in the box so perfectly.... Its the quality of striker as well as holding midfielder, on the other hand same was with stevie and torres....

Tap ins can be a coincidence once or twice but not on 30 occasions a season....
Your last sentence. You need some one to score tap ins, And if you see the timing of his runs, they are inch perfect, It cannot be a coincidence if he can do it 30 times over
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Sorry, but I don't understand this critical view of RvP. I think he's a quality striker all way around, also fully capable of creating both for himself and others. Superb footballer, just a shame he plays for the gooners...
Borg (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I think you are a bit confused. Anyone looks like a boring and inconsistent player when you compare them to Messi. Messi will be one of the all time greats. Not every striker is Messi-esque, dribbling through 5 defenders for a hattrick every match. You should expand your football horizons and open up to different styles. Some people would argue poacher type strikers are the most dangerous of all Shearer, Solskjaer, etc. If you put Walcott and Gervinho above Van Persie I'm fairly certain that 95% of footytubers disagree with you on this
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Exactly, nobody should be compared with Messi!
KushBrain (Club América) 2 years ago
Honestly, I do agree that Messi does create his own plays and scores, but this cannot be the only way he scores, without xavi messi cannot score half of his goals this is why xavi doesn't have as many goals becasue in reality he is the one who creates the plays and gives messi the open space to finish.

V. Persie and Messi are more in common than people say, difference is Messi has speed but in reality they both have precision shots
TheeImmuminati (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I love it when we doubt players in historic form.... Lets be honest here, is anyone on arsenal dangerous? .... Not really. Aside from walcott no one has been productive offensively speaking. You ppl don't understand futbol.... If anything he's underrated, because this team clearly is not as sharp as previous arsenal teams

Kick4Life - changing lives through football