Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Thierry Henry Still A Big Game Player???
Amey014 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Thierry henry the name says it all, he was the king when he was at arsenal and now that he has gone to bacelona he is not the same thierry henry who we arsenal fans have seen him play.... He is not scoring goals as he used to for arsenal.... He seems to be very uncomfortable at barcelona and by looking at him I feel that he wants to return at arsenal which he too said few months back, I would not like to see him come back as a water boy though.... He is not scoring goals and he has become inconsistent which is vey very very sad and it hurts for a an arsenal fan in particular to see their king go down like this.... I want him back at arsenal, it will be tough because wenger does not sign players generally who he lets off but one last time before he hang up his boots, I want to see him score and take bows from the arsenal fans, he is a gunner at heart and will be forever, once a gunner, always a gunner!
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
You're wrong, Henry is well in Barcelona. He was sad after the event (France - Republic of Ireland) but nothing serious. He won 6 trophies with Barcelona and he should still win. Also Thierry Henry becomes older, he rests for the World Cup and I think he will do a superb World Cup. Future goals of Henry are playing in the United States, he has always said he wanted to live there. Henry is playing less and less of brand goals but goals are not the same as when he was at arsenal. At arsenal he was younger, he was the star, but he was not earning anything. Here in Barcelona, it is part of this unbeatable team, he returned once again in the legend for all the world will remember barcelona fc 2008-2009-2010

Link: www.eurosport.fr ----> Saturday, Thierry Henry followed the bench the win in Gijon (0-1). The French probably appreciate the benefits of Pedro, who scored the victory and tenure in his place. This, Henry could live frequently in the months ahead. This did not worry.

Its status may need to evolve. Thierry Henry may be the desire to do so. After 2009 very beautiful, except for the Irish hand, both group (six titles) and individual, Tweety could pay cash competition by FC Barcelona in 2010. Less edge since the start of the season, the French may have to get used to polish the bench like last Saturday where he remained throughout the game along with Pep Guardiola watching his teammates win on the lawn of Sporting Gijon (0-1). For the Spanish press, Henry will have to do it. And indeed it seems more likely.

Of course, no one forgets his great year 2008/2009. After a season of adjustment in Catalonia - still finished with 12 goals in La Liga - the former Arsenal boss took a major part in the historic year of the Blaugrana. Scored 19 goals in 29 Liga matches and 6 in 12 games of Champions League, the man with 51 goals in the jersey of the team of France was one of the main keys to success story Catalan. But within months, the situation has changed slightly.

"If I have to be replaced, that's OK"

This is not a problem of trust with Pep Guardiola. The old relay of Johan Cruyff in the field still believes in him and a tenured 12 times in the league this season. But then, Henry has yet not been as decisive as last season. Less legs, Les Ulis native has scored two goals in Liga small since the start of this year. A performance hungry. Especially when you see one of Pedro. One of the latest findings of the Masia, the nursery of the Catalans, explodes into the open this season. With six goals, the Spaniard never stops to impress. And in a team where every place is worth its weight in gold, Henry could be the big loser of this meteoric rise.

At 32, the France forward did not do it. Even for the World Cup, which will be his fourth and he could deal cooler than expected .... "If I have to be replaced, it does not matter. We are here to win as a team. It l 'important. The fact that Pedro was incredible. He always plays well and scores goals. It deserves to be in the starting lineup, acknowledges a serene Titi. If his playing time has surely led to decrease, it will always have a role to play in Barca this season and expects to add a few lines to his beautiful prize. Even if we make some concessions. And then he could try one last adventure elsewhere. On the other side of the Atlantic, for example. Rumors announce the insistent with the New York Red Bulls. A league where it returns to a status worthy of its ranking
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I don't think thierry henry is anywhere near the player he was at arsenal.
I think barcelona was a big mistake for him to be honest, you very seldom seen him on the bench at arsenal.
So I think to a degree joining barcelona stifled henry somewhat, and he has never been the same player since.
His basketball skills have improved though.... Lol
Charlie (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I agree, if he stayed at arsenal, he would have been like Giggs, retiring as a club legend. I can see him coming back to arsenal to manage
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
He's still a Highbury legend in my opinion. Not that his performance elsewhere would wipe away his history with Arsenal anyway...
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Henry's decision to move to Spain was a carreer ender. He went from being the worlds best striker bar none to the worlds biggest waste of talent hands down. Since being at Barca Henry has seen less and less time on the field. Although he probably knew that he would never win big with the Gunners.
Charliehenry (ryo miyachi) 4 years ago
I agree he made the move at the perfect time and now he has more trophies next to his name and gave a good contribution to the team in doing that
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Agreed perfect timing but this season he has been awful, looks like he will move on this year
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Supreme waste of talent at Barca, he never got his game in tune with Barca, maybe this was due to the differinf style in Spain. I personally think one of the reasons he thrived in England was because his sheer pace was too much for the big, physical defenders. In Spain its less of a physical game so the defenders tend to be quicker and better 'football' players in general.... Just one of the factors in his downfall
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Hmm.... I agree with the Tony's comments above saying I don't think thierry henry is anywhere near the player he was at arsenal
True words, indeed.
But, I am a person who don't believe and agree on the theory of 'Finished'. If Henry works hard, he can regain his form back and still play some good football.
Take Dihno for example, everybody labelled him as 'Finished'.... But he still showed (and showing) his class. But he is still never the same as he was at Barca. Just changed his style of play.... Which suits the current situation.
So, Henry is still a big game player-if he wish. He must also change his style of play, considering in mind his age, condition, and such. But he can never be the same as he was at Arsenal.
And also only if he works hard, get the passion back and forget about all those controversies
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think NO. He is a finished player but I know there is nothing like finished player, As many players had made some good come back after a poor patch of form. But Don't think Henry is gonna' come back to his level best. He isn't showing any signs of comeback. He never played well after joining Barca and he is already 32. May he can play better if he makes a move to someother club but still he'll never be back to his best
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
His problem is the case for quite alot of players, actually. When young stars or at least "in their 20's" stars are already known for having alot of skills, a big team is putting a bid in for him. Then they think "Oh yeah, I'm that good, I'll get the starting position every time.... And ooh, everyone will know me more because I play for an even bigger club. " But of course then, either the manager who signed "him" is sacked, and a new manager comes him and leaves him on the bench all the time or he just can't get a place in the team anyway. Maybe this has happened to him. He's certainly got more starts than some people who move to a bigger team but isn't as respected now, and especially after that atrocious handball he's nearly been forgotten about
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Is he a big game player? Yes I think so, just not every game. His burst of pace is still something to reckon with, for any defender. It was only last year when he skipped over Sergio Ramos to run at the Madrid defence and pop in a goal. Probably not the best example of judging him going by the defence but it does show that he can still cut it against internationals at the highest level. I can see him playing a pivotal role in some of the games at the World Cup. When it comes to crunch situations, sometimes all it takes is skill and following that, all the headlines.

As a player though, few rival him for his trophy cabinet. He had a telling contribution to last year's unbelievable run that Barca had and won finally won the Champions League with them. Should be redeeming as a player, that, with everything else he has already won. The way I see it, when he turns back and checks out his wikipedia page 10 years later, he'll know he was glad to move to Barca to win more
Gomlee (Manchester United) 4 years ago
He is way past his prime but can still come up with something special every now and then. He will never be the same as he was at arsenal and he loved the gunners but I think he wanted a new challenge, a bit of sun and to be apart of a bigger team winning trophys on a regular basis. Never quite settled and made the impact he was hoping to and now he has to live with that decision knowing he threw away a part of him that day and that he could have been even bigger and better. Atleast he can produce the goods once in a while and enjoy the sun is it just me or does alot of players that move from EPL to La Liga normally end up worse? Except a few cases, for example Forlan, Pique etc. Ronaldo haven't been a HUGE hit, he's good but nowhere near his best(can still improve after settling down properly ofc)
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
See I'm not sure weather Henry was somebody as well known for creating from nothing or somebody that was just very solidly good overall. I think now it's probably closer to the later, as I don't think he has the same agility and speed he had in his Arsenal days.

At Barca, he just has to be a finisher. And he does that plenty well enough. He doesn't take free kicks. Doesn't take corners. But he can hit it with his head, either foot.... He's dangerous in the box. And he can still create a little magic around the box to get it in the net. I think, at least from a spectators standpoint, Henry is valuable to Barca, and yes, I think he can still play in the big game.

How does a move from Arsenal to Barca end your career?
Well I guess maybe he was thinking that if he went to barca he couldn't really top what he did at Arsenal. I agree that he may have moved because Arsenal were not going anywhere fast and barca were the team to beat and he could move win some things as he didn't have too long left and he is trying something new
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
People seem to be forgetting that henry plays out wide for barca. Though he does have some experience out there, anyone who has watched the man play knows he is most effective right up top as a striker. This also explains the lack of goals coming from the striker. At arsenal, the team was based around him. At barca, he plays the role of a supporting actor. I think arsenal need him back honestly. Or at least another player like him. If arsenal did sign him again, it would be a great decision. He may not regain the captaincy, nor will he start as often as he used to due to his age, but he will certainly will be loved, and not only by the arsenal fans
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I just won the Champions League on PES with Henry bagging a hat-trick in the final against, you guessed it, Arsenal. So PES obviously still loves him as much as I do.

But, to be honest, I think Henry's best days are long gone. He's had a brief glimpse of his true class last year, but so far this season he barely did anything Henry-like. He seems to struggle a lot more, with either himself or with defenders, than he used to.
Pity, because he's my favourite striker of the 90's and the noughties
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Henry is finished. He should just either retire or leave Barca. Bcuz he is not the same player anymore. He is not skillful or fast enough. Pedro for me is better than him at the moment
I cannot say I agree as he isn't exactly finished I just think he has past his best and the high standard of the league its clear to see. I think he could do well in the Italian league as he still the attributes.
Don't forget that he was a winger made striker by Wenger and he is now forced to play as a winger again
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
A lot of people on here aren't really answering the question. It is: Is he a big game player? NOT Is his team better or did he win more trophies? .... It's harder than you would think comparing since his roles at arsenal and barcelona are different. In barca he is playing a very wide position and not his ideal role of lone striker. Its hard to say whether he has lost pace since arsenal due to his role change at barca which he often is reluctant to take on defenders and opts to feed the ball in or cut back to central midfielders. Despite this, he did 'muscle up' a little after his move to barca and I do feel he has lost some of lightning pace especially after seeing some of his games with france. He was a better scoring individual at arsenal but he plays his new role well at barca. I do miss the old Henry Also I would love to see him come back to arsenal. Sol Campbell did it...
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 4 years ago
It was wrong that he left Arsenal
Not if you are a league and champions league winner and getting the games I wouldn't say he did badly. It was clearr that Henry thought he was a bit too good for Arsenal as Wenger created the youth project and he may have felt that players had moved on and he hadn't

Kick4Life - changing lives through football