Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is The EPL Over-rated?
Mumbai (Chelsea) 4 years ago
England s self proclaimed status of best league tournament is mare false. Highest # of players were from Bundes liga and Spanish league in SEMI s of the pinnacle of the football event. EPL superstar Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, A Cole were dispointed
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its definetly the most competitive league, which is what you want as a fan.
The foreign players deffo make a big difference to the epl, and the english players are not as good as we all think, and have been found out.
But I don't blame the players, I blame the fa and the whole coaching system, its outdated
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Exactly.... It is the most Competitive League because teams buy the best players from all around the world.

That doesn't mean The English have the best players.... They don't that's why they buy players from all over the world.... Lol
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
EPL= foreign stars
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yep, in a nutshell
REDDevil98 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lol isn't that the same as Italy? Look at Inter and AC what their best players?
Inter, I agree. But Milan? Nay.
We play 7 Italians in the first team. And Juve field more than 7, I think. Same scenario in Rome.
Almost all the star players in the Calcio are Italians
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Agree with praga
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Yup if you look at the top teams of EPL they have the most Foreign players.

Look at Chelsea Arsenal Manchester United Liverpool.... Well Manchester United does have quite a few Englishmen....

Buy hey its great For Football ball I mean the EPL is the best League in my opinion but not so good for There national team.
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I follow the EPL and can't wait for next season.
But I have to admit, who from the epl shined in the wc? Most of the players that shined at the wc were players outside from the epl. I only follow epl and was surprised to see so many players from elsewhere shine.

You look at the best ix and worst ix thread.... You won't see any epl players in the best ix teams listed by people. But you will see that about half of the players in the worst ix are from epl league.

Epl players that did well in the wc....
Tevez
Kuyt
?
?
Ellobo (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I guess you are right; but Assou Ekotto was consistent and Richard Kingson was great
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Ashley cole was actually pretty good for england, as was defoe when he played, and fabregas when he played. There's also tim howard, clint dempsey, skrtel, mascherano, malouda was france's only bright spot, carvalho and there was a host of world class players that didn't make it to the world cup
Hill (Arsenal) 4 years ago
And you could say Donovan. Even though he only spent a month or so in the EPL
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
But that could be a testament to the EPL. It is such a competitive league week in and week out, that by the time the participating players are ready for a break, they go to the world cup and have no more gas in the tank left
Mrwinalot (Chelsea) 4 years ago
The EPL is NOT overated! You cannot judge the league just because the players didn't perform in the WC. Judge the league on competitions with other league. As you guys know, the EPL teams has prosper further in the Champions League than another other league this past decade
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't think you can say the EPL is overrated due to englands performance. I mean really only 30% of the league is actually made up of english players. Not exactly the greatest indicator of english talent to say the least
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Actually I heard that its 50
Almost all the top flight clubs in the prem are doing what Inter are doing in the Lega Calcio. So, not over-rated, but they do need to foster English talents, or their WC dreams could never turn into reality anytime soon.
Italy, maybe after the fall of Inter's domination, or.... Put it like this: after the revival of Milan and Juve could bounce back, but England?
This is a serious issue, to be real
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
You can't talk about foreign players in the premier league when the best players in spain are from argentina and portugal, the best players in germany are from holland and france. The best team in italy only has 2 italian players in their first team. While we all know the best player in england is from where.... England.
The premier league is superior to all other leagues even if we did no do well in the champions league, everyone has a bad day. We have seen it time and time again where players flop in england and turn stars in spain or players are stars in spain and flop in the premier league. Forlan scored 17 goals in 3 seasons at united, but went to spain and can't stop scoring. Ronaldo the best player in the world had to work for his goals in england but in spain he scored when ever he feels like. Kanoute was a flop in england and went to spain and turn a star. Robinho, shevchanko, crespo, veron and many others we stars and came to england and flopped big time.
This simply shows that the premier league is at a higher level
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I honestly wonder how messi would do if he came to the EPL?
Jesuriya (AS Roma) 3 years ago
He will perform well if xavi and inesta also come along with him.... Lol
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Premier league might not be the best league in the world but it is definitely the most competitive in the world. We have 6 teams which would compete at the top in any other league. Same can't be said for the likes of Mallorca, Villareal, Sampodoria. I guess the league just had a bad year in terms of European competitions last season. Considering the last 5 years of champions league, the clubs from EPL were right up there till the end of competition. I also think the gulf between the top 6 has reduced to a greater extent so there are atleast 6 teams which can win the title
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Premier League has the best football to watch just because any team can beat anyone. Considering 1st 2 6th place was close and the bottom half were like 4points diffence shows how close the league is.

Saying how its all oversea players yet Spain there biggest stars are from Argentina and Portugal. So you can't really claim that England don't have stars in the leauge
Ltm017 4 years ago
Currently Serie A is the best League in the world. EPL is just competitive which does not equal best league. And in some cases it is overrated people seem to think just because two teams compete and they draw the match or something of the sort even if one team is at the top and one at the bottom then that qualifies as the best league. Just like every sport.... Whoever comes out on top at the end of every season is the best which once again is not the EPL
Brave and gracious of ya LTM, to rate serie A as the best.  A whole hearted thanks
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Considering it's ranked best leauge in the world means it is LTM
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
If the Premier League ran the National teams instead of the FA things would be a lot more streamlined. As it is right now the FA is a silly circus of dignitaries and status seekers who have little interest in the actual game and are more concerned with the politics and traditions of the game over the teams success.

So many things went wrong this year before the team even got to South Africa between key injuries and scandal that its easy to say they're over-rated but in fact this team was doomed from the start. Every single player England brought to South Africa plays a key role for their Club and I think calling them over rated is a stretch.

I refer to the ongoing thread by Perrygarl "England can't win won't win" Link: www.footytube.com/forums/footytube-blog/england-ca...
Kushdog21 (AC Milan) 4 years ago
This is not even close to a straight comparison considering if you took the best XI from each league (not country) they would definitely be more competitive (though I doubt they would beat La Liga's best XI). More than that you could probably furnish more world-class teams from the EPL than any other league as you went down the list from 1st XI to 2nd XI etc. Finally it's a more competitive league, like many people have said, with 6 top quality teams. England fails consistently because of coaching and tactics in my opinion
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I don't think the strength of a league has anything to do with how well your national team performs. EPL has huge amounts of foreign players which make it a lot more competitive, many of the teams have large amounts of cash for buying good players and a lot of team have a good scouting system. Imo EPL is the strongest in the world by far.

Just because england like france shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence and success and team doesn't mean the epl is overrated
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I heard theres a new rule for the EPL that teams have to have less foreign players in their team, is this true?
Ntruf (Lille) 4 years ago
I'm not English, my league is french ligue 1, but I watch EPL, la liga, bundesliga, la calcio and I still believe the strongest championship is the english one. And I really don't think it will sternly change soon, seeing clubs like Tottenham, ManCity, Aston Villa or Everton rising. But however, the English national squad doesn't represent the EPL and nations & clubs are really 2 different things nowadays.
And maybe some people in England, including the players forgot that WC is still a step over EPL...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football