Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Fernando Torres "finished"?
Dgrant117 (Manchester United) 3 years ago

Obviously, everyone knows about Torres' poor form in Chelsea after moving from Liverpool for 50 million in January. Since it's hasn't been better for him, now recently, he has been left out of Vincent Del Bosque's roster for Spain.

Do you think Torres will stay a flop at Chelsea, or will he rise out of the slump in other games to come? Is there certain reasons why Torres cannot score (I.E. team, positioning, etc.), or has Torres finally lost it all and will remain in the poor form where ever team he ends up next if Chelsea decide not to keep him anymore?

For one, I feel bad for him for all the rough times he's had there so far at Chelsea and I still think he's a great player. I think that he will rise back up, but it's taking a long while. I'm not sure, but I feel it looks as if something's bothering him, why his performance is low.

But feel free to give out your thoughts and answer some of the questions if you can.

NAOTA (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Honestly I just don't know anymore what's wrong. He looked like he was regaining confidence during pre-season and after the Stoke game he won MOTM I though "Yes!" and than I expected the goals to start coming back. But I don't think it's gotta' be something internally. I don't think a player can just 'lose' years of experience as a footballer. He was brilliant at 17 years-old you just don't lose that in a year. It takes years and years. I really hope he starts for the sake of the club and for the sake of his career
Exactly right, it's like all of his experience has left him.... I feel as I said that something may be bothering him, but I don't know what it could be. Either the team or personal problems, whichever it is, it's screwing up his performance
Deepu7 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
It might be personal.... Just like what happened to tevez.... Looks like he lost the love for the game...
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 3 years ago
Give him some time, there's obviously something wrong but when I saw him playing that match against United I swear to god he was coming back and it will be better, that goal from him is pure genius and how he misses that second we'll never know but fact is he was dancing through Man UTD defence all night and he's finding his mojo again. This season, he'll be the man to watch together with Aguero!
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Looks like Torres is finding his form again (2 goals in 2 matches)
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 3 years ago
It really is an enigma. All I can think is that Torres is a very fragile person and that with each step forward he ends-up taking 2 steps back, and so until his fortune changes and he can build-up a flurry of plays (maybe even goals) that live-up to his massive reputation he'll be stuck where he is now.

Perhaps the best option truly is to leave him out of the team and play him mostly in relatively menial contests like the League Cup; superfluous Champions League group stage games, and the twilight of games that Chelsea have already put to bed. There's been a lot of pressure on him to perform though - being started in the World Cup and for Chelsea constantly, but little's happened for him, so it's probably amplifying self-doubts which he is likely already very sensitive to
That could be a good alternative. Start off small and then bigger if he gets his scoring form back. It's true though, he's been under a lot since the end of WC 2010 and it could be a factor to him under performing with all the pressure.

Who knows if it made it any worse really, since he got left out of the Spanish roster. Euro 2012 is around the corner and he may not be picked to play in the competition
Alaweee (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I think he can still be good but not a chelsea, if he and chelsea swallow their pride maybe stays on the bench for a while impact sub, it might come flowing back but right now everything he touches turns to poo lol
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
As I said in the liverpool post. Chelsea needs to play a system that suits him if they really really want him to score. Play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1. With him as the lone striker and a creative mid laying the ball on a plate for him. As benayoun or Gerrard did! And at times Meireles
Nitro (Barcelona) 3 years ago
I have to agree with you 100%. This is the main reason, they will need to make changes to help suit him more although he used to play well in the spain squad with a 4-4-2 but I'm guessing it will help him gain confidence.... I'm sure he hasn't lost it at all...
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Well with spain if you have iniesta alonso and xavi providing you passes it can't be to hard nt to score. But he didn't at the world cup :/
Nitro (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Its funny that we both agreed on this 'cause it looks like this is what Chelsea are doing now. Focusing their team around Torres.... I think we may start seeing bits of the old Torres back, as we have seen some flashes of him recently
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I always hear some of our fans saying "give him more time" but realistically how much more time can we give him? Yes Torres is improving but he still hasn't started scoring. What we need from a striker like him is goals and lots of them
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
2 goals in 2 weeks, and please tell me you loved 'em both!
Juno (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Don't think so. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

He probably made the wrong choice to move to Chelsea though. With him low on confidence ever since he got back from injury, a $50 mil price tag on top of him makes the pressure higher. Chelsea should bench him until he scores a couple for the reserves to build up the confidence level
Yeah, I always thought he should have stayed at Liverpool. The amount of strikers Chelsea now have, Torres may not get any games in soon
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
I feel bad for Torres. The guy was one of the best players and now he's nowhere close to being in the top 10. Torres is a very secretive guy so to me its a mystery why he's not doing well. He could be going through the same thing as Tevez but, I doubt it. Tevez is a big baby and is only interested in money. Torres on the other hand has never shown any bad attitude toward Chelsea or Liverpool. Especially about money. Maybe the guy lacks motivation. Then again every Spain international plays in Spain for both Madrid and Barcelona making him the only spain international player to play alone in another league. Any way, I hope he finds his form again
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Like everyone else, I feel bad for Torres too. But Chelsea is not the right place for him and he is not the right striker for Chelsea. I am not a fan of Torres and don't want him on the Chelsea line up, not just b/c I am not a fan, but mostly b/c he don't fit Chelsea and Chelsea don't fit him.

Everyone say that we need to find players that can play with Torres and everyone hopes that Mata will bring Torres to life. Modric was suppose to be the one Chelsea bring in to bring Torres to life but that failed. How about Chelsea give up on Torres and work with what we got. Sell Torres. Chelsea still got 3-4 other strikers that can score and they fit the Chelsea style of soccer. Torres will fit United, Tottenham style of soccer. Tottenham and United got pace on the flank that can deliver balls to Torres. Chelsea don't have pace on the flank and need someone like Drogba, Lukaku, Sturridge. Chelsea need a striker that will come to the ball and do some work. When Torres want the mid to work, give him a through ball, and he'll do the rest. Torres runs away when Drogba checks to the ball.

Meireles sent Sturridge an awesome over the top ball the other day against Sunderland. That's what Torres want. I still hope that Torres will start shining with Chelsea so the 50m wouldn't be a waste. But Chelsea cannot take risk and play an out of form Torres in games.

Not trying to get an A on this post. I know this post is pretty sloppy
It's fine, I just want personal opinions and input. Hopefully like you said, Mata looks like he is able to produce in the midfield what Torres needs to score, but I don't think it's Chelsea's style of play. But I think Torres would go back to Spain if he doesn't cut out at Chelsea. He did a lot better over there IMO
Mixawy (FC Barcelona II) 3 years ago
He probably made the wrong choice to move to Chelsea though. With him low on confidence ever since he got back from injury, a $50 mil price tag on top of him makes the pressure higher
Ltm017 3 years ago
He is just under stress. I think the healthy think for him to do is see a psychologist and work out his suppressed feelings and then come back and play
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
He is one unpredictable train tbh. I have defended him to the gates of hell, and said that when he gets a good rest and a nice pre-season and players to suit him he will start firing. We have seen him and chelsea can work in a 4-3-3 the only problem for me is that he just needs A major confidence boost. And yes that was in caps for a reason. He got two assists so lets just hope we can see him show up against Utd. (I have said that 5 times this year, can be good for the health)

I expect to see him benched more often by AVB in future games. He's played plenty of games already but we have barely seen a glimpse of the same man that was one of the world's best players only a couple of years ago
N3razzurri (Inter Milan) 3 years ago
I still hold him to be one of the best forwards in the world, in my opinion he can be deployed as a poacher, target man, second striker and an advanced forward, more so he is not only good at covering all of those roles, he excels in them. I thought that he would've redeemed himself this season and even if he has had a shaky start, there is no way one could even remotely make the claim that he is 'finished'. Nothing could be further from the truth, his only problem would be that of over-coming Drogba and earning the respect of his teammates as Chelsea do have players of that are close and will certainly be looking out after Drogbas best interest, first and foremost before anyone starts backing Torres
Vika09 (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I still believe in the "Form is temporary, class is permanent". Give him time. He needs someone like Mata to slide balls between defenders.

It'll take some times. I just hope it doesn't happen against us
Yeah I believe in that as well but I just hope he begins to hit top form soon before it's too late
I still believe in him too, as he is a skillful player. I don't think he's down and out yet, but he is struggling a bit. Hopefully AVB and Chelsea can help him out along the way
Megoogie (Club América) 3 years ago
He should just leave already. Ill rather play lakaku than torres

Kick4Life - changing lives through football