Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is City Becoming The EPL Equivelant Of Real Madrid?
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Will we start seeing money trump all if City starts winning titles? If they can put all their horsepower to the road, it's hard to say they aren't now one of the top 5 most powerful squads in the world now, with more possible targets with Zlatan Ibrahimovich and David Luiz of Benfica.... Should other teams start being afraid yet? How will those teams react in the face of some of the most talented, and expensive, names in football?

Share your thoughts
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Just to play devils advocate and put it in perspective, Chelsea weren't particularly a force to be reckoned with before Ruud Gullit and Vialli bought in a team of superstars. After that, they were bought by a billionaire and imported an even better team of world players.

If Man City do it now, and I think they will, then it will be with a precedence set before them by other clubs. I'd be interested to see how many fans of other teams complain about City buying success, when we consider the huge cost of transfers other clubs have done before them.

To answer the question of the topic, yes I believe that City could easily become like Real Madrid, with 23 world class superstars all trying to win a place in the starting eleven
WhiteHartRogue (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Yes I tihkn so, but you also have to add chelsea to that list, theyve done the same thing and werent nothing b4 the Abromovich era!
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lmao City are amazing
Danmx (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 3 years ago
I have to say yes unfortunately City and Chelsea are on the same list as Real Madrid, not because of their greatness but because of their buy players for massive quantities "philosophy" If you ask me I rather see teams build stars not buy them, and earn their reputation not buy it
Just a thought ha
Tribalwars (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Manchester City might have a strong squad but do they have squad harmony. With so many big names coming in how many are actually guaranteed a place in starting XI on a regular basis and thus they might want to play elsewhere thus losing the willingness to play for the club. But then on the other side the few chances that these not-so-regular players get may spur them to perform well every time they play. So I think its too early to say that city style galacticos experiment might fail like it did for Real in the past
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Man city will become a horsepower and a club teams will be afraid to play, but not yet. At the moment man city has some great players, but so does other big clubs.... And to me, tevez is the biggest star on the team and he's probably not a top 10 player in the world. Man city do have a few young players that will grow. So maybe in a couple more yrs
Ltm017 4 years ago
What are you talking about.... You have got to be kidding me. They have great players and if they can learn to play together they have one of the better teams. Put into perspecitive what other clubs have great players because City has good players sitting on the bench. Players that would greatly benefit other teams. They might not have Real madrid status of stars but they are right behind with them.... In fact Real Madrid is a better team up front otherwise the back is not all that fancy.... Also there are many teams in the world.... So using that as a basis to say they don't have stars are great players is not a good start. In fact Real Madrid and Barcelona has about half of those top players if not more
See, I've always come from the school of thought that as long as you could score goals and provide some brilliance here and there, which most of Man City's squad has proven they can do there and with other teams, then you should be considered a competitor. I think they do have some brilliance on the squad, and that if they keep it structured, it's still going to be 11 vs. 11 with everything to play for. It will be interesting to watch at least
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I'm just saying- man city has great players and a good team but not yet a team to fear. According to goal.com- man city only have tevez on their top 50 players. Like you said- city does not have real madrid status of stars and are right behind them. And like tony said down there--- city has second rate players.
Lets say your team is in the champions league (barca)- you would rather your team play man city (if they were in) than chelsea or real madrid. The horsepower teams in europe imo are real madrid, barca, and chelsea
Joeymac (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Man city has spent 140 million this summer, and 350 million in two summers
Real madrid spent 250 million last summer, and 75 million this year

So yes, city will be like real madrid as far as the pocketbook goes, but on the field, I think their results will be less successful than real madrid. I will be amazed if they can put aside their egos, but I don't see it happening
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
Yes city spent as much as madrid but still hasnt managers or players that madrid has. To be honnest city's best players cannoth be mentioned in the same sentence as ronaldo, kaka, van der vaart, benzima, hequain. Casilllas. Madrid also has a better manager, one who can win thing any where
4 years ago
In terms of them having a world class squad, then yes, they could become like Real Madrid. However, Real Madrid is a very well supported team and young footballers grow up dreaming of playing for them. Apart from one side of Manchester, not many people will dream of playing for City. Plus, the vast majority of football fans in Spain will support either Real Madrid or Barca.... The same certainly can't be said of fans in England. Blackburn started the trend long before Chelsea and they quickly slipped back into the bogs of mediocrity
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
The fair weather fans are pouring in for City...
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yes, yes they most certainly will. They're going to buy titles just like chelsea did and then they're going to establish them selves as one of the big boys. People who write them off don't understand, no they aren't going to become Real Madrid this year but because of what they're doing now they're eventually going to get some decent management and make the club title quality. All around not just the players.

It may take some years but they will contend with us and chelsea and arsenal eventually
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I don't think city are becoming the new real madrid, for the simple reason, real madrid have at least some good players, city to me are second rate players, maybe tevez apart, and have paid way over the odds.
The world class players are refusing to come to city, or city havent had the nerve to ask the likes of ronaldo or messi, xavi, etc;
I mean to say, would any of the players city have brought in get a game for real or barca? .... I don't think so. So wheres all this great ambition?
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It took Chelsea a couple of years to really start seeing results from their investment. I'm pretty sure City will be top four (if not winning the title) every season from next season onwards
I don't think they have the players ant, plenty of players yes, but quality no.
I watched the rangers match today, and that kid vladimir weiss is on loan with rangers, and he's some player, I can't see why they let him go out on loan? , the kid played in the world cup ffs for slovakia I think?
Theres a lot of inconsistencies with man city, and I can forsee a lot of infighting this season at wastelands, theres no way they can keep all those players happy, and I think the same could happen at barca and real madrid due to overload
Ltm017 4 years ago
I think they would get a game. They could be starting 11
City is panicking in light of the new squad limits; I'm sure they will loan out whatever players they don't want in the regular rotation to avoid penalties.

Do you think that the over-loading of Barca and Madrid, and now City, will work against them? 1st team action does keep you sharp, but are we going to see different teams in those 3?
But what a waste of talent taken out of the game, when you think of the players not just city, barca, and real but other clubs as well that don't play every week,
So we are forced to watch an overstrength team play a s**t team, because theres a lack of quality due to great players having to sit out while they should be playing.
And back in the days of best, law and charlton you were lucky to have a squad of 14, and only allowed one sub on the bench.... Lol, I think maybe we should be heading back in that direction and getting all these good players playing again.
I'm not advocating we go back to squads of 14, but maybe 18-20, that would release some of these good players back into the game for other teams, and the league would be better for it, it would make it more competitive, instead of these 6-0 drubbings
You'd be asking EPL, Spanish, Italian, French, German; heck, any nation that makes a pretty penny from football, to spread the money around instead of having a couple of powerhouses that hog it all. I mean, it's not ideal the way it is now.... But what if you did level the playing field, and certain teams kept winning? Then they'd start making more money. buying up all the talent.... And then the cycle would repeat itself.

I think any FIFA-sanctioned league is more than happy to have it's rich clubs with massive viewership, fanhood, etc. Hauling in the dough. Because football is unfortunately a business first and a game second situation; every fan knows which part we actually care about
They got rid of one of the best young talents in England for a crap Milner lmao. There never win anything doing that. If they get rid of Adam Johnson etc I 'd just laugh
I meant more that these teams are taking all the second rate players out of the game, to sit on the bench, I'm advocating lessening the squads, so they can't take as many out of the game
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Oh. That'd work. And I think the EPL at least has been trying to change it indirectly with the new squad limits. But there's only so much that will do
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
It would also mean the clubs would have to rely on their youth and reserve teams more, which would be a plus
For English football, at least; I think german, spanish, and french leagues keep too many of their own nationals to themselves; it does promote the national sides, but I feel it could also limit squads social impact. If you have french nationals, US nationals, german nationals in the EPL, and then the same with other leagues.... People from all over Europe and the world follow those players and their teams because of the shared nationality. Besides, it's cool to see players from other countries succeed abroad
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
Well theres not many english players outside of england, and the epl is overloaded with foreign players, so a lot of english players who would probably be good enough, are playing in the lower leagues, or not at all.
So the english more or less keep all their players to themselves, but with the amount of overseas players, they don't get a look in, and the english game is suffering for it, was there a lot of english players playing around the world it might make a difference
I meant the 1st leagues of the nations I mentioned, but yeah; England has had trouble with that. And I've never been able to make heads or tails of it; it's staggering from my perspective how much more saturated the British culture is with football than some other countries, yet I don't see that coming through the ranks often enough.

I think that saturation in England is a great selling point for players to foreign teams, but the teams in foreign leagues only see the talent that's in the Premiere as expensive transfers that just the richest clubs will bother with, and then a lot of those players don't want to leave if and when teams come courting! The EPL gets the talent out of England well, but it could be because the players and teams are afraid they will lose that talent letting it go across the channel; if I had a league as good as the EPL near to Wembley and the national team's coach, I would want to stay in England. There's so much to consider, though, that it's a bit too complex to get into myself haha....

To tidy up that shaky logic, think about this: does Spain's best talent like to leave Spain? Or Germany's Germany? It takes considerable prying from other teams to make those kind of transfers happen. And there's only a few very notable players that are from those countries, one being Fabregas, and another Ballack, but Ballack's gone now, and Cesc could prefer Spain (we already know Spain does). All that has made me realize that it's the players from 2nd and 3rd world countries that are really making the EPL work right now! They're cheap.... For England's best national team to exist, they need more players in the top flights around the world. For the EPL to stay atop it's class, it needs players that are great from across the map; it's where England's needs and the EPL's needs cross that the problems happen.

Yuck. No more big comments. Or comments that basically belong in another thread.
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Having City in your name does promote or sort of "heir to the throne" doesn't it?

I don't like City besides that they are my bitter rivals, I don't like their playing style never cared for Adebayor or Tevez or Bellamy, so that put them out for years. Never jumped back on....

Yes City have also had a lot of money come and go here and there but they are not a team of team players, they are team of faster paced sprinters.
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Oh God, its disgusting to compare City with the Mighty Madrid.

Madrid are the most successful club in Europe-it is a fact.
Not just spending insane beyond belief mean they are the 'Madrid of EPL'.
Also, Madrid spend their money on the classy, well groomed players-Zidane, Carlos, Ronaldo, Kaka just to name a few.
But Man City? Like Tony said, the second class.
Its a crime really to compare the likes of Tevez, David Silva, Toure, Lescott with the players I mentioned above.

Let them first make it into the top 4, and after that, we debate about their chances of becoming a Real Madrid
Ltm017 3 years ago
I can't believe you! Toure is top notch player! One of the best DM. What is with all the criticising of these players.... Its a crime!

Lescott should not even be in the same sentence as the rest
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Toure is awesome, but you can't compare him to the Zidane, Ronaldo...
Ltm017 3 years ago
Who can you compare now to Zidane and Ronaldo really? I mean if any there is only a handful of players and even that is a stretch. If you want to compare players compare them to current players
Hmm.... Put it like this-
First grade includes Xavi, Rooney, Torres, Gerrard, [C.] Ronaldo, Kaka, Messi, etc....
Seriously, City cannot and never can attract these kind of players....

Sorry are you seriously comparing a team like city to a team with 9 european cups? There be the equivelant when they win something.

Teams have done this before. 1995 season was the first time the EPL had big spender (Blackburn) look where they're now. Money doesn't buy everything City won't have this owner forever.

The only thing what is like Madrid is that they waste young talent. Steven Ireland is 50times the player Milner is yet they want him because he was linked with them in the paper or another team wanted him
Well, it wasn't THAT kind of comparison.... City is laughable compared to Madrid for achievements. But it seems everyone thinks it is now....

Would you say that City could be headed down that road, though? If things hold as they are.... And they could, do you think City could start manufacturing it's brand of football to the levels of a Barca or Madrid, and eventually, surpassing them? I'm speaking hypothetically, obviously....
City did well when Sven was there manager 7th place I think, and it took 200million to get them 5th spot last season. It's not about buying players it's about making a team. Real Madrid don't actually go out and buy a whole new team. Man City are so it's going to be really hard for them to actually do anything. I think theres to much pressure on the manager to win games as well
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Real don't go out and buy a whole new team? Apart from Casillas and Ramos, who is left that was there 4-5 years ago then? The left back, central defenders, ALL midfielders and strikers are brand new
Of course, Real go and buy a whole brand spanking new team, BUT, the team strictly consist of the players from the first order. (Zidane, Ronaldo, Carlos, Figo, etc)
But city?
I'll keep it simple;either you play with an average roster(like Milan, Utd, Liverpool) who are loyal and give their heart out, or go out and use your money like mad on THE BEST
'THE best' simply would not come to city. End of discussion.
Couple of examples: Kaka, Buffon, Torres.... All refused despite most likely being able to go
Yep sire, you nailed the point. And that is the reason, precisely, City can't even dream becoming Real Madrid
In due time, perhaps. Imagine City doing very well this season. And the next couple of seasons. Eventually, they'll develop into a Chelsea: a great team everyone agrees is one of the best and most people have forgotten it once was a mediocre EPL team. Now Chelsea has ample stars, and if they wanted, they could most likely lure almost any player to their grounds
As to why Real has bought a new team, well, they also just released a lot of veterans recently.... It's not like they are buying a whole other team to throw on top of the one they had. They still have some pieces from the old team that they used to have, and are going to use, but Madrid doesn't seem to buy every transfer window and sell the same as other teams; they buy in lumps
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
It's pretty obvious that Man United fans will loudly shout that City will never be successful, but it seems fans of most other teams can see that the ball is already rolling on that
Shuds (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Seems like you are right, City this time have invested in the right set of players. Millner, Silva, Balotelli and Yaya. They have bought one player in each position, who is either really good or has the potential to be at their respective positions. They have an impressive squad and if Manchini plays his cards right, they could/would finish in the top 4 or even win the premiership for that matter
Would it be fair to say that the Manchester derby's are getting a little less one sided? I mean, at least performance wise, those games are getting very close. I think it's also safe to say that we owe it to those games for forming Micheal Owen's "injury time" reputation (Scholesy if you're desperate).... And a lot of bizarre sending off's and drama, etc. Etc.... Anyway, City's transition phase is nearly done. Soon it will capitalize on their talent, as Shuds said.

Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Interesting that no Man City fan chimed in here. I bet they are still celebrating their splendid victory against Liverpool.

They looked like a well composed team on Monday. No ego conflicts apparent there. I think they all have high hopes and are excited about this season and no doubt, everyone was trying to impress the new owner.

I think their problems will show up by the end of this year or the beginning of the next one, when their patience about sitting in the bench will wear thin as they will want more time play.

While it is a bit easier with the forwards to gauge their performance (scoring goals is a decisive factor), who plays better in many of the other positions (especially in midfield) is a matter of interpretation. They will be hurt egos, greed and bad blood. At this point, comes the ability of the manager to keep everyone satisfied and to be open and explain clearly the reasons behind his choices.

Shay Given is an early casualty of the "too many stars in one team" problem. He is looking to get out before it is too late. Many others may have to live with their frustration until the end of the season.

Finally, as for the topic of this thread, the answer is no. Real did buy great names, but there has been little doubt from the start off about who was more adept to be included in the first 11. The big names that they bought faced no true competition in the existing squad and were integrated and accommodated somewhat easily. The difference with the City is that in Mancini's squad the hierarchy of stars is not clear and most of them consider themselves to be the best. It was a given for Given until his position to someone else was given )
Vegascoaster (Arsenal) 3 years ago
In the sense that they are just pouring money into their team, yes. However that's about where the similarities end for me. They have an insane amount of money in their squad and just about all of them are great players. The players they buy seem to be players that have done well for one or two years but might not be the truly world class players like Ronaldo, Messi etc. Man City is also getting to a point where it is hard to see anyone who they didn't recently purchase getting play time. If I were one of the worlds best players I would never go to City because there is practically no guarantee of play time. While there are good players coming through the system, they haven't achieved anything yet and the team is still trying to figure itself out. Real Madrid on the other hand has always had a reputation of success and having some of the world's best talent, so even though they are splurging on players now, it has always been a draw to players.

If Man City can make this relentless spending and buying of players pay off, they will undoubtedly make themselves a regular fixture near the top of the table. The amount of pressure on the manager and the players might be a large factor on when they finally gel as a team and start winning silverware, but when that happens they will probably be there to stay as long as the money keeps rolling in. I don't think they will ever be truly similar as Real Madrid has more history.

On a side note I'm not sure that all of this throwing money around is good for the teams or the game, and I love watching smaller teams take them out
See though, from my perspective of the near tippy-top of football, you have to fight to get on the starting 11. It takes a lot to get to where you start on an EPL side consistently, or a Spanish, Italian, German side, etc. because so many managers leave their good players on the bench if they seem out of form. How many times can you think of saying "the manager is an idgit (pardon my american slang) for leaving Bent on the bench, or Agbonlahor".... If one of their best players isn't injurred, the manager has to have had a reason for benching them, so I think players decide weather a team is easy or hard to get off the bench of. You got to a weaker team, you get plenty of playing time; a medium team, a good amount and some breaks, which some players don't mind a bit, and a big club, well, you may get regular playing time, you may not; prove you can handle the pressure and compete with these guys and you're in.

Secondly, if you think about it, when does a team actually gel? Is it in the middle of a 90 minute game where the action is non-stop, and everything is constantly changing? Or is it throughout the week when they are running, practicing, eating together, that they form bonds, weather it be a professional colleague, casual friendship, or a wild Neville-Scholes intermittent fling. My money is on the training. When entire teams can gel and get on the same page (Not the fling, because we all know those never last).... I only make that argument because we've seen stacked teams before that didn't show a lack of unison...
Manchester14 (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 3 years ago
Of course they are. They are just spending the cash to buy players

Kick4Life - changing lives through football