Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Barcelona Trying To Get An All Spanish Team?
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
As we can see, Barcelona have been and will be one of the big spenders during this transfer period. Interestingly, they seem to be very keen for Spanish players. Some of their Spanish players include: Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Bojan, Sergio Busquets, Pedro, and Sanchez. Almost half of their team is Spanish! The majority of the starting line up is Spanish too. They have also signed David Villa (Spain) and are trying to sign Fabregas (Spain).

Do you think they are trying to build a mostly Spanish team? If they do, do you think they will be successful?
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Its a good thing. Look at inter, no italians in first team except little santon
But Inter won the treble. Maybe its not always a good idea to have a team that has most of its players from one country
Somere (Portmore Utd) 4 years ago
No italians, yet in 2008 maldini was bashing united saying its and english club but not and english team and that the reason we dominated europe
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
the spanish national side is the worlds best, just think of it as building a strong team
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well barca is in spain and should contain spanish players. I doubt sergio ramos will go to barca since barca is madrid's big rival. Also casilas. After fabregas, I doubt barca will look at any more spanish players, mostly b/c they got all the good ones already
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Technically they would consider themselves as in Catalonia, rather than Spain
Yes barcelona is very clear that they are in catalonia
Ender (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I think they are also interested in David Silva as they need a left winger....

Spain has its best team in his history. I think it is normal that they try to recruit spanish people.
No David Silva went to city, who would have believed?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Well of all the Spanish players, only Villa is a player that wasn't raised at Barça's youth clubs, I. E. La Masia. Valdes, Piqué, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, .... They all have blaugrana blood. And Fabregas and a whole heap of lesser Gods as well. So surely it's pretty great they are able to raise world class homegrown players, right? Better than buying them when they're already 18, or worse, buying world class stars for millions just to see them deteriorate. *cough* Kaka. And Benzema. And Xabi Alonso
Barcelona has quite a youth team. They all have Spanish blood
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Whole heap of lesser gods? What do you mean?
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Whole heap of lesser gods? What do you mean?
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
He won't reply unless you ask it three times
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
This would be a great thing. I'm of the opinion that 75% of a team should be born or be a citizen of that country anyway. This would spur growth and development in youth football again.

Otherwise we have the shambles of whats happening now, with the biggest clubs in Europe poaching the best individuals and youth from anywhere and cheapening the leagues they should actually be playing in instead.

Look at Chelsea and United. They've been investigated recently for poaching 15 and 16 year old kids from other countries. In any other business, this would be a serious crime
Jetlifari (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I feel the same way, much as I love the international aspect of club football, I feel it would really benefit the country's local talent if they promote the youths from their acadamies. Cheaper than buying expensive talent as well!
I would agree as well
Yes, Manchester United have very few English players. (Carrick, Rooney, and Rio)

Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
As many teams will tell you, talent only gets you so far. Good team chemistry however is what can really get a team winning. Buying players that are familiar with the rest of your team since almost your whole team plays for the same country then is one of the smartest things anyone can do. That player will likely take much less time getting used to his new club since he'll already be used to playing with it's players. And if you can raise all your best players from the same youth academy then you'll have as much team chemistry as you can ask for.

However, chemistry is only so great. What will get you much further than talent or chemistry is passion. If a player loves the club he plays for, he will fight as hard as physically possible for it's success. Many fans would die for the club. Now you take a fan and put him in a kit and give him the ability of some of these players and he will play 3 times as well for the club he supports as he will for any other club. Raising players from barca's youth system, which are almost all local fans of the club, thus makes the system barca run one of the greatest formula's for success in football. Thus, it might seem like they are trying to raise an all sapanish team
This season Barcelona had great team chemistry. They passed well and could anticipate what their teammates would do
Yes, and the reason for this is in part due to the way they build their team
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
When Manchester United won the champions leauge semi final they had 7 English players playing. Aston Villa have nearly a full squad of English players. So Barca are just going down the same route that many teams already have
I guess, but do aston villa neccasarily have the best english players?
Arron (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Of course not, but Barca were not a dominate force a few seasons ago ethier. I just hope Arsenal invest in some English youth like me
Lol
Haha arsenal better start looking for english talent or they may be in trouble with the new regulations coming in by the FA
Riglore (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Nah homegrown just means you trained them for 5 ears under the age of 21 or something - we'll actually do really well out of thee new rules because of our youth policy. We have a lot of young english players too though it will be one or two years before they are known outside of Arsenal. Wilshere is the first of them.
I think trying to focus your team around one or two nations make sense. Its a good bargianing tool for talented players from that nation and the players spend a lot of time with eachother.
I don' know if Barca are going for all spanish or all trained in la masia and most that go to la masia are spanish. Interesting though
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea this rule benefits teams like Arsenal, but it has been dropped anyway and isn't coming in to place
Well Barca would be all set if a rule like that came into la liga
Haha no doubt eh.... And the rule isn't coming to the pl now?
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
LOL it'll be good for the spanish team too because then they'll all be used to playing with each other...
Yes although it is sad that the Spanish team have so many great goalkeepers but they only play one (casillas) any other international team would want valdes or Reina
More choice the better
Nutcracker (Arsenal) 4 years ago
All of the comments are just plain stupid I am sorry. Football teams want the best, so it happens that many are Spanish. I don't see why people are trying to make correlations with nationality and competence. Plus if the players speak the same languange it makes communication better
Barcelona just won the world Cup!
Damn you manuK
I know, I post to much lol
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Icant see that an all spanish team would be a good thing in club football, they would have to loose some good foreign players to make that happen, so I can't see it happening
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
If barca kept their "buying spanish" policy, spain national team will be unbeatable for a long long time then! Lol
Normally Barca only spends on foreigner. Read: Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Dani Alves....  This is one strange transfer season!
Keong (Manchester United) 4 years ago
They'll go for top player only, I think? With their current squad, I don't think they need any major haul...
Docdre99 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
No I don't think so, but we must accept that spanish team is composed by very good players !

Most of all, buying spanish player is better for integration in the group ! Look Ibra ! He doesn't succeed his integration !

Zzlatan (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Well Barca has signed david villa and wants to sign Fabregas also.

But they also signed Javier mascherano from liverpool.

That's because Joseph guardiola wanted to do so, to establish a balanced team.
Personally guardiola has played with barca as a player and he understands phiosophy of barca playing.

Plus he has faith in spainish young player also, because he was coach of barca be befor winning Historic treble.

As far as your point concerned that if they make all spanish team, will they be sucessfull.... Looks like they can be sucessful, if they show their potential and consistency, because just now spain won 201o world cup.

Well making all spanish team is worthy, because has barca has one of the best youth academy as you can see xavi. Iniesta, pedro, sergio busqests, puyol, pique.... Are all from youth academy.

And they should also sign fabregas because he was in barca youth academy when he was young and has played in the same team with Pique and Messi, and they always used to win by 5-6 goals margin.

SO go barca go!

Viva Espana...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football