Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Is Barcelona Spending Uneccesarily?
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Lets be honest. There was absolutely no need for Villa when they already have such talented players such as messi and Ibrahimovic and such exceptional youth players like Pedro (who mae the spanish team over Torres), Bohan and Jeffren. Are the Spanish giants getting a little too ahead of themselves or will their spending be what keeps them ahead of the Galacticos, now that they have Jose Mourinho?
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
What are you talking about? Didn't Barcalona need a Lw last season? Now they have it with David Villa pumpum slayer!
SzakalNH (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
To achieve the perfect composition of Barcelona must buy: Mascherano, Fabregas and Casillas (this is impossible. But I'm surprised that Guardiola bought Villa and decided to seat on the bench Pedro and Bojan. Ibrahimovic could smash through the atmosphere in the locker room. Someone like him can not only be a backup, they should sell him
Danmx (CD Chivas de Guadalajara) 4 years ago
I think Guardiola is just being smart, Barca can not be compared with teams like Real Madrid or Man City that buy too many players every season. I think pep is just being smart and replacing Henry with a man that is at the peak of his career. I can assure you though that Bojan, Pedro, and the rest of the canteranos will continue to see playing time though
AhmadSK (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I think it's obvious it's only to compete with Real Madrid otherwise Barcelona could potentially win every other cup with the squad from last year and the year before that. This year is much different of course because of the Special One on Real Madrid and of course Real Madrid now having time to play with each other and gel together and that results in playing as a team
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Rumor now is that barca is on the move for ozil. Barca does not need to spend any more money for players to be on the bench. Ozil and fabregas is not needed when there's still iniesta and xavi.
The purchased of villa was a good one though
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Gotta' have a back up. As long as they can accept their role its all good. Copa Del Rey, Champions League and the league. Imagine the same team in every game? Be logical guys
Hhhuhnhj (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Yeah Villa was in my opinion a good addition to the team. But where does that leave Pedro? I want to see pedro play more. But I don't think Barca need Ozil because they already have Xavi, Iniesta, and Sergio Busquets. So some of the transfers they are making might be silly but I'm sure there is reason behind them
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I believe that fabregas is a neccessity at barcelona since Iniesta seems to be prone to injury and also because Xavi and Iniesta are old now and will probably be considering retirement soon. Fabregas will rejuvinate the team in terms of offensive playmaking similar to the way Iniesta did it (although it may not be as effective as Iniesta)
Vegascoaster (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Xavi is 30 and still rated as one of the best midfielders, if not the best and Iniesta is 26. They aren't that old. Iniesta is injury prone, but if I were Fabregas I'd look at this exactly like how the World Cup played out, which is to say if both of them are healthy, I'm not playing any games. They have plenty of players in midfield and don't really need to strengthen it
Just saw a rumor that barca is wanting to sign liverpool's macherano- whoever you spell his name
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
They've been wanting to sign him since last summer, probably getting him this time round, since Mas has voiced out that he wished to seek new challenge
Eriburto (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
Spending only becomes unnecessary when a big buy negates the talents of other strong players. Having said that, I think Villa will be an asset to Barca in the coming season. They had a great season last year, and a good run in the Champions League, but lacked something against Inter. Even though they already have great players to work with, Villa's tenacity will be something Guardiola's side can use to shift the outcome of any game
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well I think David Villa was a good signing because now you have him on the left, Ibra in the center, and Messi on the right up top. Ridiculous to say the least, they will be deadly. Whether they need Fabregas, I don't know, Xavi and Iniesta are getting older, and Andres is often injured that would be the only reason for that. Francesc is a great player, and no doubt he would be an asset to any team. Mascherano, mmm I don't know I think he is better than Busquets but Sergio seems to fit the style of Barcelona better than Javier.

As for Ozil that one seems a little ridiculous, given the depth they already have, but hey if they have got the money, why not right?

As for Man City, I think they are overspending and flooding there roster with superstars who will only jeopardize the chemistry of the team
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I agree with you on man city's spending. Those players may not gel together and the team lacks homegrown talent
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Depending on what formation they use, david villa could be useful as a left forward. Barcelona have a very talented team but they should probably sell one forward, for me it would be ibrahimovic
Villa and messi work best on the outside forward- so they do kinda need ibrahimovic as the target player. But of course- they should sell ibra and buy a new target player. Drogba would made them unstoppable. But of course he's getting old and I love him at chelsea.
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Now they Got Villa, they don't really need any more players. And if they do, I see players like pedro drifting away from the club

Oh barca.... Don't turn into madrid
Golaire (Bayern München) 4 years ago
With a name like SergioRamos I would assume you are a Real Madrid fan, but I guess I am wrong.
I fear Madrid and Barca will have a lot of talented players warming the bench this season.
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
With a name like SergioRamos, I would assume you are a Ramos fan. LOL
No I dislike real madrid, I support servilla and ramos bieng a Ex Servilla player, I admire him alot    
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I'm not a fan of clubs spending big to win, and obviously my answer is yes
Me also, oh god I hate inter with a passion lol
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Back off sire, no one can hate Inter with the amount of passion as I do
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its odd, but the likes of barcelona, real madrid, and man city seem to be buying players just to stop other teams buying them.... Lol, I can see no other reason, because at the end of the day, you can only field eleven players?
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Barcelona? We've only bought Villa and Adriano, how are two (needed) signings too much?
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think all of Barca's transfers so far are completely justified. If you look at their whole squad they are not as deep as in previous 3 years and no matter how good your starting 11 is you can't win with kids on the bench. You need a few quality players to come in when stars need a rest or if someone gets injured. Guardiola(?) has made them into a more well rounded side that doesn't rely so heavily on talent alone like they were a handful of years ago
Vegascoaster (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I think this is most definitely a factor in why they decided to get Villa. Yes Villa on his own is a great player and they need someone to replace Henry, but if he went to another team it would give their rivals quite a weapon. I think Villa is a great addition to the team personally, but I have a feeling if Real Madrid wasn't also knocking on his door he wouldn't have been signed
StefanJay (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Man city are the ones who are over spending in too short a period. Bringing too many players in at once just makes for unorganized play and only if they can now hold on to the same core squad for the next two years will they be able to compete for the premiership/champions league title

Kick4Life - changing lives through football