Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Inter Milan's Jose Mourinho - Is He Overrated?
Thefc3 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
A big football news explode on the TV screen and newspaper when David Bacham left AC Milan for an American football team (LA Galaxy) to rise the awareness of soccer in the US (250 million dollar). I don't think it help because people was interested in the way he looked, the places he went and all kind of uninteresting gossip, instead of the real game. It was a big mistake by David because he miss the game and wanted to go back to Milan, but because of legal reasons he couldn't and had to stay and honor the contract (250 millions dollars - poor David). For people who didn't have any knowledge about football it was an interesting , but for us the daily football readers blogger and lovers it was a (unforgiven misstake) shocking news!

In today's modern technology news travel fast and crown people for the wrong reasons
Jose Mourinho wasn't a famous player or an amazing manager but he brook into our conscious after the UEFA win in 2003. The manager did well with the new improved roman's Abramovich Chelsea and he guide them to tow EPL title, but in the champions league he didn't deliver in the end. The team was well finance and players brought from all of Europe just for the new mega star "Jose Mourinho" (the Israeli manager Avram grant took Chelsea to the final where John terry lost the game for the "blues").
Same deal goes with Inter Milan which was a champion all ready and stay like that but didn't get anywhere in the champions league. Again in the big league he didn't deliver.

Jose Mourinho got to the headline not because of his success but because of his irritating personality and rude comments on players, managers and even referees in court and outside.
There is a saying that "there is no bad publicity", in Mourinho case it took him to the elitist teams in Europe and made him one of the best, based on a single success with a (middle) known team.
Just for the debate Avram Grant took Chelsea from a rocky start (because Mourinho) to the photofinishing in the league and in the champions league but he was fired, not because he wasn't that good but because he wasn't that loud !
Would he win the championship with inter again (when the competition is not that serious in the sierra A)?
But the question is would he win the champions league with all the stars in his team?
Mourinho got an A list team in the perfect time with the perfect resources and this is why he won.
My question is : would he have the same publicity and have the same privilege of managing a top team if he wasn't that full of it?
Zach (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Great post but a quick note that Beckham left Real Madrid, not Milan, for LA in 2007. Additionally he was loaned out to AC Milan last year during the MLS off-season and is expected to make a similar loan deal this season
Mydreamteam1 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Sorry - you are right ! I was enthusiastic about the article and I didn't notice.  Thanx
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Great topic. I'm going to be honest with you, there are alot of arrogant managers out there and alot more arrogant players. But lets look at it this way. Would ronaldo get as much publicity if he werent so full of it? Would he be praised as highly if he weren't so full of it? I really doubt it, in fact I'm sure he would have even more fans. The same goes for mourinho. He must have don't something right to be one of the most popular managers on the planet at the moment. Lets face it he is the first manager to win the champions league with a relatively small team. To win the uefa cup is one thing, to win the champions league, is something completely different. Yes he had good players on his squad but they werent recognized until he was through with them. Mourinho is a motivator and a tactician, two necissary qualities in a gaffer, but two that are rarely seen at the same time or to the same extremes that we see in mourinho. He got the very most effort out of the players during the first two years of managing the blues, and although allowing the players to get cocky, and as makelele said, allowed himself to get too big which hurt his relationship with the players according to him. He did the same with porto and last season he turned inter into a much harder working team. Now he is working on making them hard working and as goodlooking as they were under mancini. And I don't think I really need to explain how good he is as a tactician. Just look at his record against SAF. Long story short, very impressive
I agree with you! I belive that he is good but is he that great? Inter didn't have competition in the last 3 years (a real one) and in the time of chelsea the EPL needed a change becouse no team was that interesting anymore and people atarted to look in other league like the Spanish league - until Ronaldo and his acting drama skill came to Manchester.
Are we looking today for the loud and cocky players? Is it that interesting today? You think that antonio dee natela who scored in the Siera 1 9 goals in 7 games would be more famous if he acted like mourinhu? Isw it what the world of football came to?
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Thefc3, if the Serie A player you talking are scoring 90 goals in 70 appearance, then if he didn't become cocky by then I also won't believe
Fidalgo10 (FC Porto) 4 years ago
Mourinho is a great coach but not yet the best.... He started his career along side the late Bobby Robson in barcelona if that's not the right place to begin then I don't know.... I also do agree that yes alot of the times Mourinho gets caught in alot of media frenzy but on the other note here we are right now discussing the exact same thing and not thinking about the players under his wing that actually go out and do the battling.... I know to some it may look bad but the man is a psychological tactition.... For the minute he has you thinking of what he had to say is the minute your not spending time thinking of the team or game.... Todays game is about the mental aspect of the players and coaches not just about skill alone.

All though mourinho is a great coach he isn't the one doing the playing he's not the one running 11km's in 90 mins and ya if I was a player doing all that battling and the coach was being talked to more then I, then ya maybe I can see where his media tactis would affect the egos of his players....

Me being Portuguese and also a Porto fan will be the first to say this.... For Mourinho to prove himself its at the International Level with the Selecao Portuguesa. If he can handle the portuguese fans and critics AND ON TOP OF IT ALL put alllllll the egos of portugal together to make a top 5 team that they should already be....

Well personally I feel he's too young to be taking on a national team just yet. He has far too much energy to spend every week looking at who he should pick to call up for the next qualifier in a month. He needs to be with his team everyday. He's said it himself even. But you are right, he may not be the best just yet (though it is arguable) he certainly is up there and could go onto just about any team with the board welcoming him with open arms
Dun think Mourinho is overrated. I wouldn't agree he is the "special" one. But to be able to assemble Chelsea squad with the monies they have and immediate back to back league title victories is hard to look past. Tell me if you seriously think Mark Hughes now with ManC can win back to back league titles and i'll say you must be joking. And plus a collection of other cups.

European titles, he has did that with unfancied Porto on both UEFA and Champions league.

Italian Scudetto he has one already.

And because he comes with a big reputation, he gets to choose the clubs he wanted to join. He wanted success. Can't possibly imagine anyone would say join Lazio or Everton and expects them to guide the clubs to repective league titles. To be the best you have to play with the best. For small clubs to win titles in today's world is kinda like fairy tales nowadays.

Btw, european ties need lucks. At Chelsea he hadn't had any. And if he was the one leading Chelsea against ManU that champions league final, I would have bet him winning due to his record against Fergie.

As for his big mouth. That has nothing to do with overrated. But with success comes arrogance and confidence. Brain Clough has a foul mouth, Fergie bullies everyone, CRonaldo says he's worth 80 Mil! But the attitude got nothing to do with overrated. The skills and success does. For all above that i've mentioned, they are Champions in their own rights and that they have certainly gain alot more success than some 90 over percent of ppl in world football. Mourinho is one of them.

So much for defending him, but the truth is I dun like him.

You are right about mark hughes he wouldn't win any title for my opinion, but he is doing a great job. Lets wait till the end of the season to judge him cos that the first time he got a crazy budget.
What I wanted to say is that Moutinho did (except with Porto which was amazing) was possible with a different manager at that time with Chelsea and inter (they were champions all ready - nothing new)
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Excellent what you said
Great point. Chelsea wasn't in much of a better situation than city was two seasons ago before abromovic came in, so its not like every player wanted to play for us at the time. In fact when we bought most of our players, they werent even established yet. Sure drogba and essien were being closely watched by other clubs but mourinho still had the ability to bring in talent, and then get that talent to work together immediately. Not very easy to do, as I'm sure mark hughes will tell you
Thefc3, LOL, to quote you: "What I wanted to say is that Moutinho did (except with Porto which was amazing) was possible with a different manager at that time with Chelsea and inter (they were champions all ready - nothing new)"

Moutinho is still playing football at Sporting Lisbon. Porto is not on his mind at the moment.
Actually chelsea wasn't champions when mourinho took over. They were looking more like arsenal or liverpool are today. Doing fine in the league, but not good enough to win anything. He changed the club so much
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Soooooooo overated that Porto team cheated and dived their way to the Uefa cup & Champions League. He did well in his first two seasons with Chelsea, after that he sucked.
Then with Inter he still has absolutley no competition for the Scudetto
Well, try finding another team in recent history to cheat and dive to a back to back UEFA and Champions league titles. The guy did has an attitude but he certainly brings success - cups or league, its still a accomplishment. Ranieri couldn't secure a top 2 spot, Mourinho went 2 place better. And thou he lasted only 3 years, his chelsea are challenging on all fronts for all 3 years. Big phil couldn't even survive 1 season there. The situation with Inter is very true though
Exactly. Ancellotti is the first manager we've had to successfully change from the mourinho system (which got us to a champions league final, cc final, two 2nd place finishes, and an fa cup while he wasnt even the manager). To say he isn't good when his effect ran amongst the team for another 2 seasons after he left is absurd. He may be overhyped by the media, but he is still a great manager
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
Theres's only one word for Mourinho: Mind Tricks (actually that's two words!)
If you loose to his mind tricks, he will be superior. If you can somehow overcome those mind tricks, then he may feel like an "overrated" manager !
Err.... You mean mind games?
By the way AC Milan plays they need someone like Mourinho - maybe that would be the solution
I thought the two words for mourihno were special one.... Or how about one word being: conceited
Funny  
Having Mourinho won't solve the problem. AC is too old and slow at the moment. Lacking the right direction at the top. Chopping and changing coach wun make a difference. Players are the ones needed replacement
Your saying leonardo is the man to do the job? I guess we'll see with the next few transfer windows but I believe mourinho has actually shown that he knows how to get great players for cheap, and then get them to play better than anyone expected them to (thiago motta for example)
Blue, Mourinho is not exactly your wheeler dealer type of manager. The players he bought I wouldnt say they come with great reput, but if you take a look, those players he bought must have been performing exceptionally the previous seasons to catch his eyes. So far from his Chelsea years to now, those players he bought are at least a recognisable name themselves before he got them.

And Leonardo dun exactly has a say in transfer dealings.... Galiani do that. Leonardo is a head coach, not a Manager like Fergie...
Well it was the same case at chelsea as it is for leonardo (though I never knew it was the way for him). Abromovic was the reason he bought several players and the reason he didn't get different ones such as scott parker (just a well known target of mourinho) and he was lucky to get sidwell and I honeslty believe that had mourinho stayed that season he would have developed sidwell into a much better player than he is now as and malouda. And you can't say that thiago motta was reputable before mourinho got him. Many inter fans were not happy he got him because his previous form wasn't all that great. Now he's doing a great job at pulling the strings for inter. Diego milito was of course scoring before he came to inter but still many fans doubted that he was the right choice (though many also thought he was a great buy for inter) and now who can keep that stance. I could go on about signings he's made for chelsea, porto and inter (not so much inter aside from those two signings) that weren't exactly reputable before he got to them but I think you get the point
Motta Club career
. 1 FC Barcelona
. 2 Atlético Madrid
. 3 Genoa
. 4 Internazionale

Except for Genoa, the rest of his club career are big house european clubs. He has 2 spanish league titles, 1 champions league titles. Though a fringe player mostly, he did well enuf to catch attention. (Why do you think an Asian like me would know of him then?)

As for Millito.
Years Club Apps† (Gls)†
1999–2004 Racing Club 137 (34)
2004–2005 Genoa 59 (33)
2005–2008 Real Zaragoza 108 (53)
2008–2009 Genoa 31 (24)
2009– Internazionale 7 (5)

You can see he is already firing all cylinders except for the fact no big clubs take on him until now. Its like David Villa that until a big powerhouse came by and swoop him then only will his reputation goes up a notch. I'm not talking about Mourinho buying Superstar level of players. But those players he bought are not exactly unproven. Like what wenger did for his clubs. (unpolish gems). Indisputably though, he did manage to bring up the level of plays required of his players he bought.

For your info: David villa.
Years Club Apps (Gls)†
2000–2003 Sporting Gijón 080 0(38)
2003–2005 Real Zaragoza 073 0(31)
2005– Valencia 136 0(92)

Doesn't the records seems like Millito?

I might as well go on since I blabber so much.... During the first Chelsea season, he bought. Drogba, Kezman, Tiago, Carvalho, Ferreira, Mutu. Etc. Tiago, Carvalho, Ferreira were from portugese league. He knew these players. Drogba, Kezman and Mutu has scoring record similar to those from Millito and Villa. Almost averaging a goal every 2 match. Its not really until his 3rd season in Chelsea that his hands are really tied. Because the above mentioned players were indeed his choices during his first year. After that, Arnesen and Kenyon were having more influence in transfer no doubt. Still, unless his hands is forced, his choice of players were never someone who had never prove themselves. This Mourinho if you do know him well, do not have time for young gems to sparkle. He craves for success and immediate success, you don't do that with kids
Yes motta played for some big clubs, did he have any effect on these clubs what-so-ever though? Hardly. In fact in six seasons for barca he made only 96 appearances with only 6 goals. To be fair he was hit by some terrible injuries, but its only now that we are seeing the form that he hasn't shown since playing under mourinho in the barca be side. What's more is that atletico wasn't exactly considered a european powerhouse (still isn't in my books) until the end of last season. Yes I know he was involved in that season.... Oh wait I forgot he only made 6 appearances last term for them. Hence still believe that mourinho made a very bold move to take on motta after the midfielder hadn't shown anything special since 02-03 and hasn't been consistent since playing for Barcelona be.

Now as I said milito was firing on all cylinders before mourinho got to him, and was a proven scorer already, however many fans still did not think this was a very good move. Obviously, they were wrong.

Now about abromovic (kenyon and arnesen were just grunts) not taking control of the tranfer market until his third year simply isn't looking at the facts. Ballack and sheva were both brought in after 2 years. Tiago wasn't the best known player at the time (in fact he was about as well known as he is now) and mourinho only picked him up because he watched him play a major role in denying porto the treble. Cech was actually a target of ranieri to play backup for cudicini and mourinho wasn't even managing chelsea when mutu was around. Diarra wan't very well known and if he had a better attitude we would still have him now. For the most part, with chelsea he did just get some of the best players, but who wouldnt. And you know what it worked. At inter he doesn't have the money, but the money he does have he's been spending brilliantly in my oppinion
Atletico is the 3rd biggest club in La liga. In terms of fans and trophies. They are not your average weak provincial side. And yes, like I pointed out, Motta is a fringe players. So for Mourinho to get him playing first rate means Mourinho has done his job. And I've also pointed out that players under Mourinho did manage to bring their level of plays up. But again I stress, why I say he is not your wheeler dealer because the players he spotted are around and made a name one way or another. (I wouldn't know who Motta is if he's still in Barca be. Or even most spanish league players. But the fact remains that from Far east, South east Asia, I've heard of this guy! So somehow in his early career, Motta must have did something right. And last season along with Millito, his performance shone.)

And I wasnt saying Millito wasnt a good buy. I was saying he was already doing a good job. So the next step was to wait for some big clubs with the balls to gamble on him. Mourinho did. But again, Millito wasnt your say Miller james from say 1st div of Nth Ireland league. He was scoring in the big leagues at top levels. (La Liga BBVA are top, Liga Adelante are second div; similarly Serie A is top, serie be is not.)

For others like Tiago I've said he knew these players from Portugese league, so to bring them in is fair. I apologise for Mutu if that is wrong, I'm obviously no fan of them. Lass Diarra reputation has already grew b4 Chelsea bought him.

And if I've not made myself clear enough, this is it- I say he's a fine manager with a successful track records of transfer and trophies. But the players he bought arent exactly with no reputation. Its just he has more 'balls' than a lot more managers out there to give these proven fine players a chance to glory. And even if its a game like fm2009, I wouldnt give players like Motta a look, let alone buy him. And so for a manager who couldn't afford to buy a coles, lampard or drogba, switching to Motta and Millito are a great decision indeed
Atletico is the 3rd biggest club in La liga. In terms of fans and trophies. They are not your average weak provincial side. And yes, like I pointed out, Motta is a fringe players. So for Mourinho to get him playing first rate means Mourinho has done his job. And I've also pointed out that players under Mourinho did manage to bring their level of plays up. But again I stress, why I say he is not your wheeler dealer because the players he spotted are around and made a name one way or another. (I wouldn't know who Motta is if he's still in Barca be. Or even most spanish league players. But the fact remains that from Far east, South east Asia, I've heard of this guy! So somehow in his early career, Motta must have did something right. And last season along with Millito, his performance shone.)

And I wasnt saying Millito wasnt a good buy. I was saying he was already doing a good job. So the next step was to wait for some big clubs with the balls to gamble on him. Mourinho did. But again, Millito wasnt your say Miller james from say 1st div of Nth Ireland league. He was scoring in the big leagues at top levels. (La Liga BBVA are top, Liga Adelante are second div; similarly Serie A is top, serie be is not.)

For others like Tiago I've said he knew these players from Portugese league, so to bring them in is fair. I apologise for Mutu if that is wrong, I'm obviously no fan of them. Lass Diarra reputation has already grew b4 Chelsea bought him.

And if I've not made myself clear enough, this is it- I say he's a fine manager with a successful track records of transfer and trophies. But the players he bought arent exactly with no reputation. Its just he has more 'balls' than a lot more managers out there to give these proven fine players a chance to glory. And even if its a game like fm2009, I wouldnt give players like Motta a look, let alone buy him. And so for a manager who couldn't afford to buy a coles, lampard or drogba, switching to Motta and Millito are a great decision indeed
Well then I think we're in agreeance for the most part (I still say that sevilla and valencia are bigger teams in la liga than atletico. Don't forget it was only what, three, four seasons ago that they were in the second division). And I did make a mistake with my last coment, mutu was jose's buy, not sure what I was thinking with that one. But you are right he doesn't usually buy the most unknown talent (though he seems to be able to see certain talents in players most managers wouldnt notice), but he certainly makes them play a whole lot better and can deffinatly get them playing great together with others. So we're agreed
Right. The reason I view clubs as a traditional big club is that past records speaks volume for me. Leeds utd will forever be a much bigger club than say Wigan or West ham. Just because they are down in domestic leagues doesn't wipe off their past records. I would maybe just call them fallen giants.... Same likewise for Milan and Juventus. B4 Milan are rescued from the obscurity of SerieB from Berlusconi to become the superpowers of 1980s, they were relegated from their national league's first div. Juve also went down a couple of seasons ago. That doesn't makes them any worst than Inter. Juve are still the Kings of Italy, thou now Inter holds the distinct record of never been relegated
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Jose Mourhino, man I hate that guy because he would always or most of the time win games against United and his Chelsea team were very difficult to defeat. He has won the champions league, he has won the Premiership twice in a row and he won Seria A with Inter Milan. For some reason he was much more fun and crazy when he was with Chelsea and when he said he was a special one, I don't think alot of us would disagree upon it. He told people not to call him special one at Inter and there has to be a reason(well his team didn't go pretty far in the champions league and got knocked out by United which I thought was a bit easy according to his standards). Overall I think he is a great manager and I would love to see him come in the Premiership again. The question some people ask is, will he replace Ferguson? Will he come back for Chelsea? Or will he sign the new big money club, Manchester City?
Or will he replace benitez? Possible. Maybe a 19th title is realistic afterall
No one can save Liverpool - the fans suppose to surfer!  And after all she will never walk alone !  
Lol I wouldnt be surprised to see mourinho able to save pool. The reds should be doing so much better than what they have been lately. And I blame rafa for it all. He is so predictable and unwilling to change his tactics. No wonder every team knows how to beat them
You are absolutely right !  I think its time for a change !  If mourinho will lead them to a title ill move to Liverpool
You know what.... Ill call my first born Jose
Jman008 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Hmm I never thought about Jose taking charge of Liverpool. It will be quite interesting as Jose is winning a title every where he goes in his first season. He might have the lucky charm as I mentioned to a few people earlier that Micheal Carrick has had on Manchester United. Since he has joined United, we have won 3 titles in a row. If any other club signs him, they might get that gold touch
Well he has a pretty good record with cup titles. So I'm pretty sure he could end pools trophy drought in his first season if he joined pool. And with his second season I'm sure pool would be on top of the league and maybe even have a champions league. Mind you this is just speculation aas I doubt he will ever join liverpool anyways
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
This is a great idea for a topic and an interesting introduction. My old class teacher used to fancy Mourinho. Now that is random. But anyway, I never ever in my whole life thought Mourinho would leave Chelsea, but he did. It just happened to be, but I still respect him as a great manager.

My personal thoughts are that I don't rate managers. I don't think you can call a manager over-rated or under-rated or rubbish or excellent. They all do the same job, and I can't think you can call someone a good manager because of the football players they pick to put out on to a field of green grass. It isn't right. But seriously I can't deny that Steve McLaren was a cow pat for England when he was your manager. Jose Mourinho? Well, he "guided" Chelsea to two league titles. I still respect him and I don't really bother with what other people think. In my mind, he isn't over-rated. He uses his logic sense, and he does his job and gets paid. I like him
Take a look at how differently teams play. Is it because of the manager? Not really. Just look at how inter played before and after jose showed up. Much different style. Not only that but some managers uphold different morals for their team. Scolari didn't care much about fitness, and it showed, hiddink expected discipline and hard work, and again it showed. To say there isn't a difference between managers aside from the players the decide to field requires a bit of facts to prove, and honestly, I can't think of any
Woops, made a mistake with that. "Take a look at how differently teams play. Is it because of the players? "
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Mourinho is in my opinion one of those managers who thinks a lot. When I see him I remember my mathematics teacher because they both think a lot of the things they do! He looks serious. But the fact is that he is neither over-rated nor under-rated. He did his job at Porto well. After that at Chelsea. Now he wants the champions league with Inter and this is the biggest challenge for him. That's why he moved to Inter
Well....
If I'll tell you that there is going to be a manneger in a team for his rirst year and he is going to take 5 title with them. Would you guys consider him as the "one" and as a beter maneger them nourinho? It sound crazy? Impossible?
His name is Josep Guardiola!
Well your thread is on Mourinho and not a comparison with pep. It doesn't makes Mourinho any lesser as a manager even if Pep goes on to win another 10 titles. The fact remains clear he is an able and successful and cocky and not overrated manager
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Mourinho is a great manager, that's why he is named "Special One". But when he joined Chelsea, he started becoming arrogant and cocky. Nonetheless, he still helped Chelsea to win their first EPL trophy in 50+ years. Then he started quarrels with Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Rafael Benitez.

He also tricked Glen Johnson into saying if he performed well, Mourinho will let him play, it's actually a trick you see, tricking a player so that he can do well. In the end, he didn't let him play. Cunning and sly manager I should say. But very clever though
Hulanji14 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Mourinho is missed in Premier League. One of the points that you will realize he is great manager was that Alex Ferguson was quite during his stay England. After Mourinho left Alex Ferguson started attacking Arsen Wenger and Benitez. Fortunately Mourinho went other than my favorite team in Italy Inter Milan. Go Mourinho
Yes I miss him in the premier league and really wish he would have stayed at chelsea. He has done so much for my club that most people don't even realize. I mean he won us our first premiership title in over 50 years. And then he did it again while winning the carling cup and getting us so close to the champions league final for 3 years. And the next season he got us our fist fa cup since 98. And in the process he made chelsea one of the most respected clubs in the world. So as a chelsea fan I really do feel indebted to him
Amayel (PSG) 4 years ago
In my opinion Mourinho is a great coach, very smart: he can speak almost 5 languages (Portuguese, Spanish, English, French, Italiano....) moreover he's a great tactician !
He earned a lot of experience when he assist Bobby Robson and Van gaal in Barcelona !
After that he proves with Porto, Chelsea and Inter that he's a great manager.
He got charisma and take the pressure instead of his team....
To me he's not overrated, he's good. But I can understand that some people don't like him....
Ragsgunner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Mourinho is a good coach no doubt and he proved it by winning the champions league with a team that no one had heard of. After that he did a great job of winning the titles at Chelsea, tbf he was lucky that both United and Arsenal were going through some changes and Liverpool just sucked like they do every year. When the going got tough he packed his bags and left.
At Inter though he is still winning but maybe with not so much pizzaz as before. He was brought in to win the champions league there and it won't happen. Inter are not a good enough period. For Mourinho's tactics to work he needs a very strong and physical forward a la Drogba and Ibra. But eto'o has more skill than brute force and the loss of form of his midfielders is not helping either.
I'm pretty sure all Mourniho is doing is auditioning for the Old Trafford post once Fergie leaves and that is his ultimate aim
Porto was a pretty reputable club on european stage. Its not exactly a team that no one had heard of...
I wouldnt say porto was unheard of but at the time they werent the greatest club in europe that's for sure. But any manager to win the uefa cup one year, and then take the champions league in the next year with relatively the same squad must be good. And I think inter may be able to take the champions league this year. They may not be favorites but his signings last summer were brilliant even though many thought they wouldnt work out. Motta has done so good, diego milito has been prolific beside eto'o, sneider doesn't even need mentioning and lucio has really helped the defence. Aas they all learn to gell more and learn to accept jose's tactics completely they will certainly have a shot at the champions league
Porto weren't the greatest side in europe even after their truimph then. True, they have the chance to win. But you've mention only their good points. The Midfield is seriously devoid of creativity and ideas. Unless wesley sneijder suddenly become Requelme(sp?), they have a serious problem in creating openings against side with better defence
Actually motta and stankovic are very good at opening up chances for the likes of eto'o and milito. Both midfielders are very underrated in my oppinion. And as we all know sneijder isn't so bad either
But somehow maybe its really working against teams from Italy. Against european teams, its not effective. And may I say even if Sneijder is good, real good, he is not like Riquelme to really pull the strings on his own. Sneijder needs his own support from midfield. As much as saying the level of passing and creativity, Inter is not up there. They are more like 1 dimension style of play at the moment. And even though Stankovic is good, Motta is improving tremendously, the team's focus are not attacking.

Hey, I've actually enjoy the arguments we're doing.... LOL
Lol same here actually. Nothing like an intellectual debate.

Now you are true that stankovic seemed to dissapear last season against european competition, but last season he was the only one capable of pulling strings, and we really haven't had a chance to see motta work with stankovic in europe just yet. So I think if they learn to work well with one another they could be quite a force in europe, though not necissarily a dominant one
On3two (Manchester United) 4 years ago
There are many arrogant managers out there but there is no doubt that he adds entertainment to football. Even when he left the Premier League it could be said that his presence just in the comments he would make was missed, although not many people actually liked him. He is a good manager there is no doubt but just like Kanye West is a good rapper. Good at what they do but terrible personalities
Hahaha great comparison
Diablo28 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
You got the right comparison On3two.... Lol
Wowoawiwa!  I didn't know so many people are interested in mourinho?!
Lol well he is one of the most well know and contravery surrounded managers in footballing history. Plus it's prolly about 50/50 for who like him and don't like him
I think you would find more people that don't like him than they do.... I am one of them. Lol
I think you would find more people that don't like him than they do.... I am one of them. Lol
But there are plenty of people who like him for his achievements and believe he is quite funny in his interviews. Add to that, every porto and chelsea fan loves the man. I think its about 50/50. Mostly making this assumption on the people I have spoken to though

Kick4Life - changing lives through football