Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Instant Replay For Officials?
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 4 years ago
I've seen that Europa League uses another two officials.... Meaning replays are not needed :?
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I'm for the use of video. But only for 2 points:
- Voluntary attacks (punches, kicks) is given the red card
- Is that the ball has crossed the line?

Unfortunately for offside, it's impossible because there were too many stop
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Awesome thread! I personally believe that football needs to step up and use technology to end officiating errors when it comes to calling penalties (whether the player dove or was contacted illegaly) and for close to the line goals (If the ball crossed the line or not). All the other stuff is inconsequential
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Rugby has had the video refereeing for years, probably high time we get it in football as well
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
We do need something to be done. One miss call could changed the outcome of a game. Mexico was playing great until teves's offside goal. This gives argentina a 1 goal advantage and now mexico can't play their game anymore. They HAVE to score. Same to england.

So many bad calls and refereeing this pass few weeks
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
If anyone who thought Ireland getting kicked out by Henrys handball was just bad luck for Ireland, now feels video replays are a necessity after Lampards ghost goal, then you have no grounds for an argument at all.

All or nothing. Either they bring it in for every goal incident or they bring it in for none. I argued a year ago in this topic that I am against it and I still am.

Imagine fans in a pub or at home watching a match. A team scores a great equalising goal in the last minute. With a video replay its not a goal at all unless the guy in the refs video box says so, so people would hold off celebrating wildly. It would change the atmosphere, slow the game, the players would be standing around chatting waiting for a decision. Then the ref blows his whistle, indicating its a goal after a microphone chat to the video ref. The players cheer a bit and jog back to the centre circle.

Ireland have been screwed over by this in the past but I still think its an important part of football. People talk about the bad decisions far, far longer than they talk about the good decisions
Its amazing that FIFA would review David Villa's scuffle with the Switzerland to make sure no foul was committed yet they won't review the Brazil v Ivory Coast match and the red card given to Kaka. Just watch any North American sport Ant and see how easy it is. It doesn't eat up ton of time and the audience always feels vindicated when a bad play is overturned. Its not foolproof but it does avert tragic decisions that could have ended a teams hopes at winning. Replay is even in tennis. Its just silly not to at this point. Is this a sport or a soap opera? Because if its a soap opera then why are people betting huge amounts of money on it. Seriously!? How do they justify missed calls that ruin games and lose people money and call it legal?
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree with the first bit. Until Blatter is gone we'll always have this kind of nonsense. Reviewing certain incidents, but not others that were far, far worse? I don't want to make any claims but lets not forget that Blatter is Swiss, and they speak French.

I recommend casting an eye over the Sepp Blatter discussion page on wikipedia for opinions that get quickly removed from the main article.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sepp_Blatter

Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
Please FIFA put one more ref behind each team's goal and watch the accuracy of calls improve dramatically. They need to try something
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea I liked what Uefa did. There's no need for goal line technology debate if they would just do that
Rob12 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Blatter is a grade A idiot. A rodent is smarter than him. Every other sport has this and it benefits. Or at least the 4th offical could watch the game and watch replays or something, not like he does anything else
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I referee some games before and there's so many decisions I have to make that at times I don't see or can't tell. Like is it a corner kick or goal kick? Was he barely offside? Soccer is a great game to play but I have to admit, it is not the best game to watch. At times it gets boring and I can't focus on the game when I ref. Sometimes I get caught up in the game and forget to look for offsides.
Don't worry, I only ref some unorganized tournament. Not any kind of real ref...
ElPeloHernandez (America de Cali) 4 years ago
Please no Replay I think I would cry if they added replays Goal line tech.... Maybe sure why not but no replays it will stop the momentum of the game and well its just not part of Football I would rather have a horrible call then replay sorry the Drama should be here to stay it has cost teams before and they got threw it and so we should lets not be the complainers who changed Football forever.

Lets Just have more Referees?
There is nothing that changes the momentum more than an offside man scoring a goal or a flop getting a penalty shot to win the game. Dinosaurs are extinct but their rules are still around, time for a change
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah, because nothing stops the momentum of a game like a 2-minute goal celebration (I'm looking at you, spain)....

I don't think it would slow things down. A goal would probably be disallowed after all the drama, anyway, and the game can just go straight back to play....
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Every World Cup this is going to continue to get worse if we don't get FIFA to do something. Think about it.

The reason there are so many botched calls is the refs can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore- that's not to say FIFA needs younger refs, or even that the refs they have are unathletic, they're not. You have to sacrifice age for experience, though, and no big match will field players that are younger than the ones we have been seeing at this World Cup. That is an unchangeable factor.

We would all agree that the game has changed a lot over the last few decades. This decade, nearly every team is as fast as the next, is as physical as the next, and as tricky as the next. It's going to keep adapting while the rules will not. That will not work, because eventually we will be seeing games littered with calls that WE at home could see, but the refs on the field could not see or use to determine the way the game was played. It is very needed for that reason.

For another, there is an immediate problem in football: floppers, simulation, bad sportsmanship, sucker-punches.... In nearly every other game. Professional athletes should not be shown on TV kidney-punching a defender to break past while the ref is oblivious. There's too many elbows being thrown around in the air, and some stupid challenges off the ball or for the ball that put players in danger. This is a physical sport, but these guys are supposed to be above silly mistakes that could injure other players.

I think the most calls are dropped when refs are too busy having to watch players so they won't hurt each other and they miss some of the most important parts of the play!

It's not about that. And I think it detracts from the beauty of the game.

So while I would prefer for the game to be slower and more deliberate, and hence, more easily officiated, we all know it will not happen. It's going to keep getting more intense every decade, until we have to make a similar change
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
More refs are needed. The idea that three officials can manage all the action on a football pitch is unrealistic, especially a game this fast. I am still on the fence about video technology but I don't think it would slow play down. I just wonder how it would be implemented. Champions League this year is adding goal line officials. You'll see less monkey business around the box hopefully
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Weee, my year old thread is revived while I'm away in South Africa.... I suppose there were more than enough controversial calls to go around. I'm still for video evidence where it's needed. It doesn't need to stop the game unless there's something wrong with the call on the pitch. Celebrations continue as normal unless the referee watching replays catches something ridiculous in which case the goal is reversed. Was for it a year ago and still for it now be it for Ireland, England, Mexico, Ghana, or anyone
Soccergal293 (Barcelona) 4 years ago
This is a Must, it proved that in the World Cup...
Robbery69 (Bayern München) 3 years ago
My opinion to this is no, please no instant replays, it will destroy the flow of the game, and that's the great part about football the time never stops. I also see a problem if this is introduced where do you draw the line? What do you replay and what do you not replay?

Theres a difference between sports like American Football and Football because usually as long as theres not a fumble or interception the possesion doesn't change until one team either scores or punts it away, and so the only decisions that need to be made is if it was a touchdown or not, or if the player was already out of bounds or if the penalty was just, and in A. Football time can be stopped by running out of bounds. Also each team only gets 2 red flags I think they're called, to challenge a decision, that just won't work in football there are so many possibly things to challenge.

So it makes no sense to apply how it works in other sports to football, because it is the only constantly fluid sport (except for maybe hockey, but you also get faceoffs and icings, so not really) because the whole sport relies on there being fluidity, you can't replay everdamn thing in case of possible offsides or whose throw-in or corner is it.

That's why I am for a chip in the ball, the only reason to acutally have replays is to see if its a goal, and with the chip the ref gets live feedback if it is a goal; extra refs would also be useful and I think they are also being used in the champions league this year, that's about it the rest is useless and will destroy the game in my opinion
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
However, the NBA uses video replay. Basketball is an extremely quick and popular sport full off ebbs and flows but it has managed to use video technology to support correct decision making by the referees and promote a perception of justice / fairness amongst the players, coaches and fans.

There have been trials of the use of various video technology with the average decision time on line calls taking 9 seconds. This is less time than player protests and harassment of the referee normally take up. Having correct decisions is truer to the essence of sport.

Kick4Life - changing lives through football