Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Instant Replay For Officials?
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think they are needed they need to up the technology of the game.

But I do think Watching american sports that it messes with the game flow
So I think they should do this only on very special occasions for during the game and
Mostly at halftime then call back the play and make the right decision.

I know from watching footy that it is needed with all the bad calls I see,
But from being a ref myself I know how hard it is, So that would make it so the game is played more fairly.

People would like refs more too and they would have a better and more fun job with less people throwing rocks at their head cause they hate his call
Giorgakis (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
I think football should stay as it is the only aspect I would change, would have to be a goal line enforcement tool. Either a camera or some sort of device in order to tell when the ball has crossed the line and is in fact a goal. Many times I have seen these calls made. Everything else like offsides and fouls can remaine the same that's what makes football fun
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
Just add another referee or two and most likely the calls will be right. Like in basketball they have different referees with different angles. They would have to run more for football (soccer) though
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Adding more referees would interfere with the flow of a teams offensive attack. Especially teams with a quick passing build up, counter attacking tactic. Though it is a good suggestion though, it eliminates the ref from making a crucial call only based from another refs angle. Adding more refs would also allow for them all to congregate after a controversial call, and help eliminate the pleading victims of a foul, as well as the player who committed the from pleading his/her case. However, I still think it would be too much commotion on the field
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
A match referee already has three assistants for this exact reason. Two watching a half of the pitch each and sprinting up and down to make calls the ref can't see, and one more official on the sideline

Link: tinyurl.com/assrefs

In practice, the fourth official becomes a key member of the officiating team, who can watch the field and players and advise the Referee on situations that are going on out of his sight. The fourth official keeps an extra set of records, and helps make sure the Referee does not make a serious error such as cautioning the wrong player, or giving two cautions to the same player and forgetting to send off the player.
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I absolutely despise the ref's wrong decisions, wheather it be off-sides, fouls, bookings or penalties.... It pisses me off each time.... I can't describe my furious rage, but it's not nice to see....
I have to agree with Drogba, it is a disgrace.... Especially when it seems likeall decisions are Biased....
It's the 21st century people, lets get some technology in the game....
Didn't the FA want the refs tobe respected, so if we have these replays, then none of the players would complain to the ref....
Refs have to stop grabbing the attention, it's not them we're paying to watch.... It the actual "fairness" and majesticness of the beautiful game....
It's just so simple, the answer is the replay!
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 5 years ago
What about a another referee who can see what the cameras are showing but no replays. The advantage would be they are not on the field but they can see the run of play from different angles
What about a hot air balloon above the pitch with twenty refs wearing binoculars in it?

There are already FOUR refs per soccer match. The 2006 world cup had FIVE refs per match. That's plenty
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I dunno, a hot air balloon above the pitch packed with binocular-wielding officials sounds like a sight to behold
It's either that or else every player has to carry around a midget referee on their back like Yoda who whistles and yells if they are infringing the rules
Lol That's not a bad idea, considering the horrendous calls that were made during the Confed's Cup.
Ltm017 5 years ago
I agree it would take away from the excitement of the game, but come on sometimes some of those bad calls are so obvious! IMO when I am watching the match on tv and the angle they give me I can sometimes see exactly what took place and if the ref should call it or not. In this case maybe they should just give the ref a big screen tv and my view of the match so he can see what deserves to be called.... Because those cameras zoom in pretty close when your watching live
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
No video, the referee's interpretation is part of the game, and it always has been. It may be unfair, but that's an element of the game. I think in the confederations cup, Brazil had a wicked shot against the US in the final match, and the replay showed it was in, but the ref ruled otherwise. Stuff like that, that's close should be up to the ref, we don't need matches to be any longer than they already are
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
The fact that the ref's interpretation has always been a part of the game does not mean that it is the best thing available to the sport.... Truth is all sport has evolved with the times and football is no different.... The balls are lighter and allow for more swerve, there has been introduction of artificial turf to replace all the natural stuff that used to exist in the past....

There are two divisions of people as far as this debate is concerned: the purists and those not afraid of change. The purists don't want to see changes because it removes a large part of the human element that exists in refereeing games I. E to err is human, hence:
A) if the ref doesn't see it then no foul....
Be) if he does then he blows the whistle and makes a decision that in most cases is irreversible

I fall into the category of those who are not averse to change.... I think that change has helped the game more than it has hurt it and I feel that these changes would really help the game if instituted in the right instances esp. For calls involving potential goals....

I believe change is inevitable, whether it happens in 1 year, 5 years or even 10, it's going to happen
Now that I think about it, does anyone watch Baseball enough to know some of the common rules? If, so then you know how hard it is for the umpires to make calls. They have to decide if a ball is fair, whether someone made it to a base safely, but most importantly, call strikes and balls. That kills me. Umpires can make the most horrific calls in the world, simply because they rely on the old 19th century way of making calls, their eyes. And if you follow Baseball as strongly as I do, you know how a person's height, star power, and who the umpire is affects the strike zone for the game. This leads very bad, inconsistent calls, which is what you would want from an official. How this relates to footy you might ask? Referees are sometimes left with the daunting task of making calls that they can't even see, or, may make a call opinionated by a players previous actions towards them, putting emotions in the way of a correct call. I think it's time we start to take the route of technology to make SOME, no all of the calls in a game
Naifla (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Fair and exciting game better than unfair and exciting game. And hey you better to pay image processing engineering like me to develop such instant replay system than pay those referee. It is cheaper!
Not sure if this was mentioned, but Platini has called for no video technology, instead preferring extra referees behind each goal line. They should have a perfect view on whether a player has dived or the ball has crosssed the line.

Link: goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/platini-says-for...

There was also talk of either the French or Italian second division getting this as a trial period this season.

Link: sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/wires/02/28/...
Naifla (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Maybe I must wait the next president to give me a job
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Good, try it out, if it works well, then use it on the big stage.... Please!
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Well it should have worked at this years world cup, England vs Germany, unless the official was blind
Maya0708 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Goal line equipment: I heard that they were trying to invent something to call the ball over the line. I think the front runner was a magnetic device that worked by picking up metal dust particles in the ball material. A series of detectors would be able to measure how much of the ball had crossed the line. I can imagine a huge red light going off on top of the goal - be quite funny actually.
As for the rest of this discussion I agree that football is the great game it is because of the drama of reffing decisions and concentration but at the same time, clubs place their fortunes in the hands of the men in black and I wonder weather removing a little pressure might be advantageous given the vast sums involved I the game. I think I would support a limited dispute system if it were suggested but, as someone suggested, only for penalties and goal line. Sorry for starting a similar post earlier today, I haven't really learnt how to search the forum yet and after watching Spurs get beaten by Chelski I was feeling all righteous
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Goal line technology is the first step. Rfid (radio frequency identification) tags can be put in balls and make it incredibly easy to tell if a ball crossed the line.

The idea of the manager having one challenge is a good one I think. If they get it right they can challenge again. If they get it wrong, maybe loose a sub? Challenges should only on red cards and penalty situations. Just have an extra ref upstairs with a tv with the sound turned off
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
For all those saying that it will take too much time, watch a hockey game. I know I'm starting to sound more and more like your typical canadian with all this talk about hockey, but they use video replays in the NHL and it takes up minimal amounts of time. It works actually quite well and they only use it when its necissary. I think if fifa should take on the same direction as NHL in terms of video tech since its been so successful for an equally fast paced sport
BenBro (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I believe they should, as some of you have said bad calls have usually made me mad, and even when it DOES go for my team the other team then just has an excuse for why they lost, so either way it turns out negative.... But it's all an opinion

Kick4Life - changing lives through football