Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Instant Replay For Officials?
Eric (Manchester United) 5 years ago
What do you guys think abut using video evidence to influence critical calls in football? Something what's being used in tennis, american football, basketball, etc.... I feel like it's a good idea but within reason. Have a separate set of officials watching the video feed of a game to determine when something needs further review. Any thoughts? If nothing else it'll stop clubs from bitching so much about how a call changed the outcome of the game
JosiahsOnFire (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I don't know man....

In terms of fair play and every call being made correctly.... Of course you'd want Instant Replay....

BUT! I don't want it.... Why not?

Because the ref's decision is all part of the drama.... It's why we love the game....

The heartache of giving or not allowing a penalty.... An offside being called on and being scored on.... This kinda stuff, while not being fair, brings much excitement to the game

Sure calls can be unfair, but that's what makes football, football and I wouldn't change it for anything!
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Well said
Theduke (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Yea, no video would be nice. With baseball and american football, it may help make decisions, but really messes with the flow of the game
I guess I just have to disagree with you guys.... The missed calls piss me off more than please me with the sport. I don't like it when I'm rooting for a team then they get a clear call for them and go on to win the game. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I like winning the game fair and square. I love football for so many other reasons that the nonsense stemming from obviously missed calls. You guys make it sound like you wouldn't still love football if they had some kind of official watching the tv feed
Hampard8 (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I understand your desire to win a game fair and square, but is any Barcelona fan going to ask to have a rematch of the Chelsea v Barcelona game, where Barcelona won so fortunately?
They should.... Wouldn't they want their team to play better than they did for the tie and win properly?
Yeah, if they played better and won fair and square it would be so much more satisfying. Chelsea was better on the day, and Barca got lucky. I understand what you mean, and I agree that I would always like my team to win fairly, but most people would just take the win no matter how it came
Cristiano9rocks (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Yes, the missed calls/ bad ones really piss me off BUT I wouldent like the refs having instant replay what so ever, its what makes this game Fu'tbol and not Football!
JosiahsOnFire (Barcelona) 5 years ago
You do have a point there.... I was overjoyed when Inie put that ball in the back of the net.... Chelsea did play extremely well.... But I'm just happy, ambitious attacking football won over the two legs...
SCBlue (Chelsea) 4 years ago
But Chelsea were more ambitious and more attacking in the second leg. Chelsea were denied 2 clear penalties and were unlucky to hit the woodwork several times.

I would like instant replay but only for GOAL situations, baseball only uses replay to determine home runs, no other call. I feel it should be the same for goals.

If the ball crosses the line its a goal no matter what the ref saw. If the ball doesn't cross the line then there is no goal, no matter what the ref saw (ex phantom goal in the Championship last season).

Replay should be used but ONLY in this situation, not penalties, not offsides, not fouls or non fouls just for goals
Kingoffootball (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Using technology will not affect the flow of the game.... It would literally take seconds for a fifth official to inform ref if the play was offside, goal or even hand ball.... The fifa board/president is just being stubborn.

Bad decisions are not part of the game. By not using replays, FIFA is not supporting fairplay, one of their own regulations. Replays will be used in football in the future, it is inevitable. Its just a matter of time.... Either when there is too much pressure from the footballing world or when the president/board changes
Glory (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Agree 100%, we should try to make it as fair as possible. People shouldn't be left frustrated at the end of the day just because of a bad call
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Yeah all of the American sports are implementing it into their rulebooks. Football should be on it's way as well. But how far does the instant replay go in terms of what is reviewable and what isn't. Also, in American Football, the head coaches each get a pair of challenges, how about that?
What? The coaches get challenges? Do they hold up a big card with a joker on it?
I think challenges in football (soccer) would be a bad choice. The reason I say that is that there is no real way to be punished for a bad challenge. In American Football they take away a timeout which can be critical in the game. But it would be good to have the power to do that.... Say each club gets one chance to invoke a critical replay as opposed to three as in American Football
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
I like the sound of that. I completely forgot about having the leverage of removing a timeout
JohnnyG (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I'm not a huge american football fan, but I think you only get one challenge per half, it might be different for college american football and professional american football
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
No, I love football for the way it is
I love football the way it is too.... But sometimes it really can be frustrating. That handball in the Chelsea Barca Champions league semi was clear as day and if there were officials watching the broadcast or something, they could have stopped play right then as everyone was able to see it even in live action (besides the officials of course)
Also Fletcher's red card was clear as day and should not have been a red card, it would help keep the games more honest and the outcomes the way they should be rather than allowing a bad referee or a bad angle for the referee cause a poor call
Barca4life09 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
And not to mention that abidal didn't even touch anelka for the red card, which handball are you talking about in the semifinal
Although Anelka didn't get touched by Abidal, Drogba earlier was hauled down by the defender in the box, which should have been a red card anyways. You can't blame the referee there, though, Drogba has made quite a name for himself as a diver
Ya what happened hahppened lets just wait for next years chamions league can't wait
I was referring to the Pique handball in the box.... Wherein the ball clearly changed direction
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 4 years ago
And wherein pique admitted after the game he had no clue how it wasnt called a handball and that he felt guilty for his actions
I'm bring it back up because of the Egypt v Brazil match.... The handball on the line was a clear decision. There was a lot of speculation as to the fairness of the call since Webb probably got advice from the 4th official watching the replays. I personally don't think this is a bad idea, but I think the call should have been what was called initially on the pitch with the current rule structure. Any thoughts?
I just watched that replay, there's no doubt that it was a handball.... Intentional? I'm not sure.... I think he was trying to get his head/chest down to where the ball was going but just couldn't make it. In my opinion that should be a yellow and a penalty. Of course, then it would be hard to distinguish what is intentional and what is unintentional.... So I'm not sure
It really is tough to see what the decision should be in regard to the yellow/red card debacle. I think that it'd be important for there to be at least one referee manning the television watching for close calls such as the red cards I mentioned (another being that red card for the USA yesterday). I agree that it will certainly make the game more honest, and it doesn't have to slow the game's play down at all if the replay system is executed appropriately
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Remember the hand of god
Haha, who could forget
Well if this rule went into effect, there would be no third hand of god
One would hope not
Wannabgunner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Look although we give refs a hard time because actually they can never be totally right in anyone's mind and no one is going to applaud the ref for a right decision,
Some of football's wildest moments come from the refs
I am not really sure thought
It's true with video evidence all of the craziness in footballing decisions are taken out, so where's the fun in that? Haha, well I think it would keep the clubs from bitching about crappy decisions though
Agspiratos (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
I think platini's is trying to compromis ethis with the new five official rule in the new europa league
Ragarsha (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Lets hope its a hit
Syraph (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
I personally disagree with adding video replays to football because it will take the spontaneity and excitement out of it. Those bad calls by the refs make football exciting and leave room for human error. I love Maradona's hand of god and I hate adriano's handball in the milan derby this season. However, calls like this cause controversy and excitment. Besides, if clubs are b**tching about calls, football would be boring...
That's completely right. If Maradonas Hand of God goal was disallowed after a lengthy video replay no-one would still be talking about it. Some of the biggest moments in the history of football have come about because of the referee having a very limited time and view of the action.

Just think, with video replays, Ronaldo wouldn't get a single free kick
Clubs do bitch about calls first of all.... It's just that all of that bitching leads to nothing. There is so much more to football than controversial calls. I'm saying there should be video evidence introduced only when there is some decision that could change the course of the game.... Something like penalties or red cards, hand balls and all that jazz. The reason people are still talking about it is because it was ridiculous that it was called a handball. It's not fair that they went on to win the game as result of a shoddy decision (and an obvious one at that). I'm saying most of the calls should still be up to the officials, just the important ones should be interfered with by an extra official manning the tele. The calls could me made immediately or within 5 seconds or less of the incident and thus gameplay wouldn't be slowed at all really. I mean I think terrible calls cause much more grief and uncertainty than anything else.... The Barca v Chelsea game I'm thinking of. In all seriousness Chelsea were the winners of that game. But because of the ref having a bad night it wasn't to be and Barca went to to become the best club in the world.... Something that could be disputed by citing that cup tie. I'm not saying they're not the best, but Chelsea should have beaten them. And who knows what kind of final we would have gotten instead.... Maybe United would have come out to play instead of holding their dick in their hands the whole game
True, but if calls are made 100% accurate, football would become like all the other sports, who suck when compared to footy. The fact that barca were supposed to lose, but ended up qualifying was what made the champions league exciting. Chelsea fans will never forget this game and the next barca-chelsea match will be heated. Wrong calls are unfair, but I really think that they make football unique. Its not a question of holding up play or not, but its rather more a question of taking the exciting flaws and plot-twists out of the game. An efficient way to have a ref viewing replays could probably be made, but it won't help the game, it'll just make it dry and unexciting
I beg to differ, you guys make the argument that the main thing that makes football exciting is controversial calls.... I think that's just silly. It's a valid argument that it may take some of the heat out of the game, but dry and unexciting? Come on, exaggerating a little maybe? The way I see it is that no one feels good when an obvious call is missed. It's hard to celebrate something you have to admit was the wrong call and to the afflicted team it'll only leave a sour taste for the match, particularly if they lose. If even just 50% of the calls currently missed are called I think it would be a positive influence on the game.... Might even get Americans more excited about it. After all, isn't the best football match one in which both teams play fantastic football and the game is called fairly and accurately?
Lol yeah, I guess I was a exaggerating with the "dry and unexciting. " unfair calls aren't what make a football match fantastic, but they add that human touch of imperfection. I believe that by taking away this human error, the game becomes predictable, with the underdog having no chance. One of the best things about football is that it's unpredictable, with underdogs beating predicted champions. Nothing is better than a twist of fate that throws people's predictions off course and referee calls are often the result of this.
I believe that referee calls without replays make the game exciting. Sure it's unfair sometimes, and it does get me mad when my team loses unfairly, but this anger and happiness over a controversial call helps to make the game better
I think the random element of a missed offside adds loads of flavour to the game and the after-match discussions. It's what everyone talks about. If your team loses, you can moan about it the next day and like Syraph says, the next time the two teams meet there is an element of justice and payback to be dished out. I would personally hate to see rugby-style video refs being used to make the big decisions. I'd also hate to see computer assisted offside calls or goalline technology that knows if the ball has crossed or not.

You'll notice the really excellent referees hardly ever miss a big call. If the referee and his assistants (as well as the 4th official) are on top of the game, most of the time it goes without any terrible decisions
Good points on both accounts.... I argue that underdogs will still win as much of football is entirely luck that any team could win on any day (within reason). I think using the video official for offsides would be ludicrous as this is exactly the job of the referee's assistants. It really should only be used for penalty decisions and red card decisions. Also, goal line technology wouldn't have to take minutes.... It would be instantaneous and if obvious there's no need for it. In hockey they make the calls immediately, there's no reason it can't be like that in soccer.... With a light above the goal or something, or spotlights that are triggered behind goal (it could even look epic)
I agree with the entire drama portion that is added to the game without video technology. It is much more exciting, and gives you excuses if your team loses. In regards to the Chelsea V Barcelona second leg, I have shed my fair share of tears, and moaned through all the excuses, but Chelsea could have capitalized many other times on easy chances. And Iniesta's strike was so good....
No video replay- it takes half the fun away, especially when your side benefits from bad calls.
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
No that would ruin the gane. It would slow it down, and everytime a goal went in would have to check with the video ref for a decision.

The game is fine how it is!
Yeah, there's a reason football is already the most popular game in the world - why change it? Imagine after an amazing goal the scoring team is celebrating, and then the jumbotron screen in the stadium pauses.... Pauses.... Shows an advert.... Pauses.... And then "NO goal" comes up. The players who celebrated would look like fools. The fans would feel cheated out of a goal by technology. Should the goalscorer (or not) wait to celebrate until the decision comes back? All the passion would be gone.

Also, what would happen to grass roots football, or even in the lower leagues? Would every game need a video referee? As it is now, you could play in an amatuer team and have just about the same experience with referees as anyone in the top leagues. If all of a sudden the top leagues get extra technology, do the bottom leagues need to get it too?
Adamaus (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I think only professionals would use it. But yea I would cry is they brought in video replays
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Cheated by technology? How would they be cheated if they never earned the goal in the first place?
Gavrazor (Manchester City) 5 years ago
Think instant replays should ONLY be used on red card, ball over the goal line and penalty decisions. (But not used on every goal)
Leave it how it is! Chimpwithalimp awesome comment about ronaldo just awesome hahaha
They would have to change the entire way the game is timed. Seeing as there are currently no stoppages in the clock's counting, it would, although it seems small, be quite a big step for leagues to take. Also, I love the emotion and controversy created by the possibility of error with a referee. Overall, people are just too scared to instigate such a rule, because they are frightened of such big changes in the game, and conforming to more modern rules
The game wouldn't have to stop.... In the time it takes to make a call for a red card the play could be reviewed easily.... Same for penalties
You can say it will be reviewed that easy

But as an american, and seeing replay in the major sports over here (american football, baseball, basketball, hockey).... It can drag out. It seems easy, but it gets complicated. Keeo the game as is
I'm not saying they should copy american sports.... A sport like football deserves a new method. It wouldn't be hard to make this a near instantaneous situation. Most of the time the controversial calls come when play gets stopped anyway (for cards and penalties, etc....)
True.... I just have seen how instant replay has impacted games in america.... Could be a great tool, but I don't know...
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
It would be nice in a game, but the thing is when the ref makes a call it could sometimes be a bad call even though it was a good tackle. The way they should know is by the linesman for anything that is bad but if the linesman arent sure about then they should call in the replay, they shouldnt call it by what they think they saw if all the referees arent sure what to call then they should resort to the replay for no other reason should they resort to the replay
That's certainly an idea, they main official should take into consideration more heavily what the other referees think in this instance. What I mean is that sometimes the match official makes a call based only on what he saw
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 5 years ago
True but if he doesn't know what he saw than usually the linesman are there to help him
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
This game alone shows istant replays are needed in football.

A whole lot of silliness in this video. At least the ref was consistent in his awfulness for both sides
Neonseong (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Isn't it sad though? A horrible ref like him reffing a WC quarter final game.... Tsk tsk tsk

Kick4Life - changing lives through football