Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
If Yugoslavia Had A Team For WC2010
Alen (Liverpool) 5 years ago
K half the people here have no clue what I'm talking about so let me get a few things out first lol

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia all use to be one country....

And we use to be pretty good

World Cup Appearances 8 (First in 1930)
Best result Semifinals, 1930; Fourth place, 1962

European Championship Appearances 4 (First in 1960)
Best result Runners-up, 1960 and 1968

now if we put at least one person from each one of the former republics and make a team how do you think they would be in the 2010 world cup? Top 5 at least maybe even win it, I'm not trying to get any politics here just seeing how people think they would do with the quality of players

I found this list a while ago and added a few subs so the clubs might not be 100% accurate now with players being moved around

Fifa 2010 Yugoslavia Team Starting 11
(4-2-3-1)

G: Samir Handanovic (SLO, Udinese)

D: Darijo Srna (CRO, Shakhtar Donetsk), Nemanja Vidic (SRB, Manchester United), Josip Simunic (CRO, Hertha Berlin), Ivica Dragutinovic (SRB, Sevilla);

M: Dejan Stankovic (SRB, Internazionale), Luka Modric (CRO, Tottenham);

F: Edin Dzeko (BOS, Wolfsburg), Goran Pandev (MKD, Lazio), Mirko Vucinic (MON,Roma)

S: Eduardo (CRO, Arsenal)

-------------------- Possible Subs -------------------
Subs CRO - Ivan Rakitić (CRO) Niko Kranjčar (CRO) Robert Kovač(CRO) Mladen Petrić (CRO) Vedran Ćorluka(CRO) Ivica Olić (CRO)

Subs BOS - Kenan Hasagić (BOS) Emir Spahić (BOS) Miralem Pjanić (BOS) Zvjezdan Misimović (BOS) Sejad Salihović(BOS) Vedad Ibišević (BOS) Zlatan Muslimović (BOS)

Subs SRB - Branislav Ivanović (SRB) Nikola Žigić (SRB) Gojko Kačar (SRB) Neven Subotić (SRB)

Subs mon/mkd/slo - Goran Maznov(MKD) Dominic Maroh(SLO) Robert Koren (SLO) Andrej Komac (SLO) Marko Baša (MON) Nikola Drinčić (MON)

also if people think they might have a better starting lineup please post, and try to keep at least one player from one country, I could have stacked the team with Bosnians, Croatians and Serbians and it would have been godly lol

Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
That could be a very good team. They will be dangerous. This would be my team.

Pletikosa

Ivanovic
Vidic
Simunic
Dragutinovic

Srna
Misimović
Rakatic
Kranjarc

Dzecko
Eduardo

Not bad I like everything except your choice for Rakatic, have you seen Salihovic play on TSG Hoffenheim?
Nick22590 (New York Red Bulls) 5 years ago
OP: I thought Zigic is Croatian, not Serbian
Nikola Zigic? He's Serbian
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
Very interesting idea and I enjoyed reading the post. I like Modern History so it was a great dilemma to play out.

I am a big fan of Croatia though, so if I forged a team from the possibilities then it would be very similar to their current XI!

A modern USSR team would be interesting to research too, I might do a little digging as far as that goes.

British Empire team would be silly though
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
They lobbied for it during the Olympics but it just didn't fly
Ud still only pick from UK not like India will give you Rooney and Beckham quality players maybe a few African players
MDK187 (ADO Den Haag) 4 years ago
If you ask yourself that qeustion you can better ask yourself. If the sovjet still had a team. Keep on dreaming mat. They destroyed yoegeslavia cause it was getting to strong
See I like the idea of the USSR team too, but what happens if the Wars and Dissolution of these countries never happened? A great example is Zlatan Ibrahimovic, if yugoslavia never fell apart would his parents have moved to Sweden? Or the majority of Croatians in Australia, not too many "star" players from Yugoslavian but what about USSR

If USSR never fell apart would some of the people have never moved to Western Europe, so its would be very difficult to see ifs and whats, especially with European countries when we change our borders weekly

Heres a video that kind of illustrates it a bit

And I'm not even talking about the last 800-1000 years just look at the past

30-50 years
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
It won't happen considering the whole genocide thing, and they hate eachother. Other than that they would make a great squad!
Well if you look at the current Bosnian National team we got Croatians, Bosnian and Serbians on the team and their doing pretty good
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
Really? I'm not trying to be funny, but I'm surprised they can play with each other
Ben (Arsenal) 5 years ago
It's the power of footy, being able to put the past behind ya, focus all your efforts on working together and go far, instead of working against each other and going no where
Our former captain Zvjezdan Misimovic (Wolfsburg) is of Serbian descent he played for the Serbian U-21 team, our new goalie Nemanja Supic is Serbian, Marko Topic, Boris Pandza, Goran Brasnic are Croatian, and a lot of them play in the Croatian and Serbian leagues and all play for the national team
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Misimovic is one of the most under-rated players in football. He was Wolfsburg's most important player last season (even over Dzeko). He does so much work behind-the-scenes.

I'm sure you're aware of his ability
Yeah we got two of the best duos in Bundesliga, Misimovic + Dzeko(Wolfsburg) and Salihovc+Ibisevic(Hoffenheim) one of the reasons Ibisevic did so good during the first half of the season was because of Salihovic, same deal with Dzeko and Grafite did so well was because of Misimovic, and hopefully they will repeat it again, and with AC Milan trying to buy Dzeko, I don't believe he will be nearly as good on his own without Misimovic
Darius (Southampton) 5 years ago
Nikola Zigic because he's tall like me lol But he is obviously a threat for corners and other set pieces, not to mention that he has a wicked long distance shot
Yeah he's like 6'7 they would have a lot of good options up front including Olic, Zigic, Eduardo, Dzeko, Ibisevic, Petric, Lazovic, Muslimovic top class strikers to choose from

And I just looked at my list and I didn't even add the MAN you boys Tosic and Ljajic, and Hasan Salihamidzic(JUVE)

And their is a lot of young talent moving up 17-20 year olds that will be amazing
Alen (Liverpool) 4 years ago
After watching the Liverpool game right now I notice I did not include Stevan Jovetić in the lineup, the young man has some great talent at only 19 years old to score 2 goals against a English top team is great for him, this brings some more questions on how great Yugoslavia's team would have been if we stayed together
Sam (Juventus) 4 years ago
Interesting thought-provoking forum.... Actually learned a liitle bit of history. Based on the players you mentioned, I think Yugoslavia would be a force in Europe and worldwide, but I did have one question.... Do you think that these players would have been able to reach these levels if it were not for their individual countries? Like you said, you could have made up a team that was heavy with Serbians, Croatians and Bosnians.... Would the lesser known players from the other countries have had a chance to play in the overall Yugoslavia team? What do you think?
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
Not sure about the Yugoslavian squad but here's my squad

-------------------Handanovic-----------------

--Corluka---Vidic----Ivanovic---Dragutinovic--

---------Stankovic---Modric--Misimovic--------

------------Dzeko-------Vucinic--------------

-----------------Ibisevic--------------------

Christmas tree formation and choosing Ibisevic instead of Eduardo as I think he is superb and would be great if he start for the wc2010, Eduardo is still recovering so he will warm the bench
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Yeah sorry about my bad knowledge of former Yugoslavian players but anyway, here is my overall team - that is if they had one for the 2010 World Cup:
-----------------------Handanovic------------------------

Corluka--------Vidic--------------Ivanovic---Dragutinovic

---Srna-------------------Modric--------------Kranjcar---

-------Vucinic------------Dzeko---------------Eduardo----

I would probably like to hear what you think as I do not know a lot about Serbia or Croatia never mind any other of the former Yugoslavian teams.

I really wanted to do Lev Yashin as goalkeeper but he isn't part of the former Yugoslavia team but the USSR - Oh well

Anyway, that's my post, I'll see what you think about it

Kick4Life - changing lives through football