Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
If Your Face Fits
Footytubeblog (Blog) 2 years ago
Owen Coyle is living proof that if your face fits you can get away with anything in the eyes of supporters, regardless of the precarious state the football club is in. The Bolton manager is the luckiest man in the Premier League, especially when you consider the type of scrutiny and levels of abuse Steve Kean is getting.

Don’t get me wrong Bolton fans are no saints and Gary Megson can certainly vouch for that, but it does bemuse me that the aforementioned Megson was criticised and hounded out of Bolton because they didn’t like his style of play (bit strange given years of watching Allardyce), despite the fact they were sitting comfortably in mid-table and certainly not relegation fodder. Yet Coyle is seemingly lauded, despite being stranded at the bottom of the league and not showing any real signs of getting out of it. The lack of consistency is staggering and just underlines the fickle nature of supporters.

Of course Megson isn’t alone and there have been many managers who have fallen foul of supporters’ judgment. Roy Hodgson experienced a torrid time at Anfield as Liverpool fans felt he wasn’t the right man to take them forward and the supporters never gave him, or his team, a chance to succeed. Of course they will cite the so called strides they have made under Kenny Dalglish, whilst failing to appreciate that since Roy’s departure the Reds have spent over £100m in order to turn around the football club. It was clear Hodgson was on a hiding to nothing the moment he stepped into the shoes of the overrated Benitez.

Another striking example is Harry Redknapp. Here is a manager who (with the exception of Southampton) has built up a career of taking over clubs in trouble and making them better. It is almost staggering that despite his performances it took nearly 25yrs of management before a big club decided to take a chance on him; however it highlights the same principle of his face not fitting. Perhaps it is the perception that this wide-boy/old school manager is too much of a loose cannon to run a prestigious club that has put chairman off in the past but Daniel Levy is reaping the rewards of taking that chance. To most neutrals it will sound staggering, but there are quite a few Tottenham fans that still remain undecided on Redknapp and whether he is the right man they want steering their ship, despite the dramatic turnaround he has made at the club. Harry’s dissenters have to ask the question as to whether any of these so called stellar names of football management could have done a better job. I bet they wouldn’t.

So why are supporters so judgmental of managers and players? I know it may seem like your prerogative, but doesn’t it pay to trust the decision makers at your football club who are ultimately looking after your best interests? West Ham fans may not be taken by Sam Allardyce’s approach to the game at Upton Park, but the job in hand is to see the Hammers return to the Premier League and there will be no supporters upset, come the end of the season, if that is achieved. Andre Villas-Boas record is the worst any Chelsea manager has experienced in the past ten years, yet supporters aren’t calling for his head, because the perception is that he is a talented manager who needs time to blood a new squad. Maybe a change of attitude is needed and a certain reality check in some quarters to ensure that a club remains united and progresses. We are all fully aware that Fergie was hardly a popular figure around Old Trafford in the late 80s, but fortunately the United board refused to bow down to the dissenters as they had belief he would be a success. I’m not suggesting that had Gary Megson remained at Bolton that the Trotters would have been incredibly successful, but I can’t help feel that they wouldn’t be struggling in the way they currently are under the likeable Owen Coyle. A little patience goes a long way, as does the ability to not be so judgmental in life.

Blog by Lee Roberts

This blog does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of footytube or its partners.
DavidR (Partick Thistle) 2 years ago
"So why are supporters so judgmental of managers and players? I know it may seem like your prerogative" - what? Of course it is the perogative of the supporters. They pay hard earned money to go through the turnstiles and so have the right to express their opinion. I completely agree that persistent abuse of managers such as Steve Kean has endured is undesireable but the media have a part to play in this - find me a season in the last 20 years where the red tops haven't had an agenda against a struggling manager (and why not? If he gets the sack there are even more headlines to write). Owen Coyle was a fans' favourite as a player and so engenders some loyalty from the current support. Good on them for showing a little patience and a great deal of loyalty. If you are not a Bolton fan, Lee - what's it got to do with you? Coyle is a good young manager working with fairly limited resources and your blog (replete with your insulting caricature photofit) is indicative of the kind of sensationalist "journalism" which has only one aim in mind
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I make that about four or five of the footyblogs so far that have ridiculous, cheap shots at Liverpool. Can we please get some other writers that don't wear their United shirts as they sit to write this drivel?

"Roy Hodgson experienced a torrid time at Anfield as Liverpool fans felt he wasn’t the right man to take them forward and the supporters never gave him, or his team, a chance to succeed.

Liverpool fans aren't used to be in relegation battle situations.

Of course they will cite the so called strides they have made under Kenny Dalglish, whilst failing to appreciate that since Roy’s departure the Reds have spent over £100m in order to turn around the football club. It was clear Hodgson was on a hiding to nothing the moment he stepped into the shoes of the overrated Benitez. "

New owners saw the obvious situation had to be rectified, and Dalglish rescued last season from utter disaster in the half a season he was given.

The entire paragraph about Liverpool is filled with rubbish. "The overrated Benitez" could easily have been written "Champions league and FA cup winning Benitez" but the writer was too busy showing his bias. Seriously, are these copied and pasted directly from a United fan blog? What a mess.

"but there are quite a few Tottenham fans that still remain undecided on Redknapp"
Where are they?

While the basic message of the blog made sense (give managers time), it was written in quite an amateur way. No manager these days has the luxury of six years of mediocrity like Ferguson was gifted at the start of his United career.

Honest question to end my reply - if a new manager came into Old Trafford after Fergie and brought United down to 15th or 16th place for six seasons, do you think the board and fans would show them much mercy?

If your answer is no, then the whole point of the article is lost
Rubin (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
I agree with you
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Even as a United fan, I mostly agree with you ant. The writer is obviously bias and reading it just gets ridiculous.

I do admit though that spending 100m probably played a large factor in your turn around. But why should that be surprising? Just look at Man City
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
There has been the suggestion of bias in previous blogs also so let me quickly define something.

These are not 'news articles' they are opinion articles as such they do not propose to be fully balanced. Which is why you have the right to reply
ManUK: - naturally spending 100m has improved the team, but lets not forget selling Meireles and Torres to Chelsea paid for most of that. It was more the clumsy use of completely biased adjectives like 'the overrated Benitez". If the author is trying to write anything other than a fluff piece designed to antagonise rival fans, he should go back and take a night course on some basic writing skills.

Matt: Opinion pieces perhaps, but pieces that get automatically front paged, submitted to many of the major forums simultaneously, and are almost always exceptionally biased.

Give me the comedy blog about the haircuts any day. Not only was it immensely popular, but I wasn't forced to imagine that it was being written by a man covered in Gary Neville tattoos
Mt1234 (Bolton Wanderers) 2 years ago
@Ant the whole premise involving Coyle and Bolton is complete rubbish, so ignore the false conclusions that followed
Vaishnav (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Fully agree with you ant, most of the articles now are so poor.... Overrated benitez? We won the champions league, made it to the final of champions league, won the FA, were so close to win the EPL!
Go0bz (Liverpool) 2 years ago
"These are not 'news articles' they are opinion articles as such they do not propose to be fully balanced. Which is why you have the right to reply"

If the article is going to in a position of prominence, ie: front-page, it should remain relatively neutral. If not, why isn't it over in the forum section with the rest of the opinionated, biased "blogs? " I guess what I'm asking is, why are these posts advertized and others aren't? I actually know a guy on here who has been trying to get his pieces on the front-page without any luck, so what's the selection process like? With the recent trends of the blogs it seems they're all being selected from a small pool of red mancs.

To be honest I did not see any bias to a particular team the article mentions 10 managers and various clubs.

It is the writers opinion that Benitez was overrated and as Liverpool fans and the fact he brought you your only notable successes of recent years it is no shock that you disagree with this. As a Southampton fan I find the rating of Harry Redknapp to be a trifle inflated
Go0bz (Liverpool) 2 years ago
I hope you're kidding, matt. I suppose the blog a few weeks ago titled "calm down, suarez" wasn't biased either? The writer clearly has some sort of bias against liverpool considering his staunch defence of hodgson while failing to highlight how we had our worst start in 50 years and almost went into relegation under him. The supporters did not immediately turn on him, as the writer claims. It was only after pathetic results/performances and his even more pathetic media interviews did he lose complete support. To suggest he wasn't "given a chance" is absolute bullshit. When you make statements criticising your players, fans, as well as telling the club to lower their expectations, it's only a matter of time before you're alone.

Hell, even a utd fan agreed the article was biased against liverpool - that's saying a lot considering how far both side's supporters usually go to discredit each other
The other article was by a different author and as it was about a specific player would have been hard to present any other way.

Fair points raised about Hodgson though why a manager with his history failed so epically is a mystery to me.

To answer why Hodgson failed, my opinion is that certain managers are designed to get the best from relegation battle sides with no budget (Hodgson for example), and others are designed to get the best from top four sides (Mourinho, for example). If you put Hodgson in control of Real Madrid, it wouldn't take long for a player revolt and fans calling for his head.

When he came to Liverpool he had that mentality of shrugging and saying "Oh well" when we got defeat after defeat and were right near the bottom of the league. He tried to bring in players from his old clubs that had done him well in those relegation situations, but were utter rejects at Liverpool. He didn't seem to have a Liverpool bone in his body, to be frank
Jimmybreeze 2 years ago
Don't you mean, an opinion that I heard somewhere else, that I've instilled as my opinion?
No, I don't mean that.

Anyway, if you buy a car second hand, you don't say "The car that I bought from someone else, that I call my car", you just say "my car".

Actually, perhaps you personally do take the time say it the longest, most awkward way you can, who knows
Ruskin (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Lets make are own blog. Goalkeepers, this season has seen such a good crop, for me Joe Hart will go down along with the great Frank Swift, Bert Trautman, Joe Corrigan and Pepe Riena, Looking forward to the 2nd Half of the season
Peteko 2 years ago
I don't see anything biased against Liverpool in this particular post, although, I don't agree with the blog's comparison between Dalglish and Hodgson.

Yes, Dalglish had the benefit of 100 million to spend, but that's part of his merits. He is the manager who forced the owners to make significant investments in the club while having the balls (and the timely fortune) to get rid of Torres, despite his great name, and cash in the beauty of 50 mils.

Secondly, fans would also be more patient with a striker in a slump if they don't have a good replacement on the bench. Similarly, it would be easy to get rid of Coyle, but then what? Who's going to replace him? Liverpool had Dalglish on the "bench", it was tempting from some fans' viewpoint to ask for a replacement even if Hodgson did well.

Finally, I think the last case speaks for itself. Past connections with the club are often key to understand fans' patience for their managers.
If you are Liverpool through and through, fans will be more patient. Owen went to Bolton, because of the past connection when as a player he had helped their promotion to the top division. Gary Megson was not a former Bolton player.
Similarly, Allardyce played 8 years for Bolton and was of course favored and accepted as manager.

As for Villa-Boas, after seeing such a great manager like Ancelotti sacked, the fans are just glad that Abramovich has not appointed himself at the position and are willing to show patience. (OK this last one is partly a joke, but only partly.)
DrPhilosophy (Bayern München) 2 years ago
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO POSTS ARTICLES ON FOOTYTUBE? I HAVE CONTACTED THE FOOTYTUBE TEAM AND NO REPLY MAAAAAN! HELP!
No need to shout. You can post a new thread in any forum except the blog. I recommend 'The Stands' if your posts are good and promote healthy debate then we can move them to the blog
DrPhilosophy (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Hahha had to be heard man lol check my article out, I posted it in 'The Terraces' because 'The Stands' wasnt working anyway nice one dude
Canning (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Wait, there are spurs fans who don't think Harry is the right man for the job?
"Quite a few" apparently
I was surprised to find out there were Bolton supporters upset with Coyle!
LightningToad (Bolton Wanderers) 2 years ago
They must be sworn to Secrecy not to tell anyone, that's why we have never met any
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I sort of agree with the overall message of the article (patience with managers). But the last blog post (The Grass isn't always Greener) also mentioned patience and trust for those running the club from the fans. Apart from the fact that this is more about managers and less about signing new players there's not much of a difference
TacheyDelBosque (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I think you've been a bit harsh on Coyle here. He made good progress with Bolton last season and that's the reason the Trotters' fans are staying patient with him. Lee Chung-Yong and Stuart Holden have suffered serious injuries and with the club's debts and the player's decision to leave on a Bosman, Coyle hasn't been able to replace Elmander's goals from last season adequately, never mind Sturridge's during his loan spell. There has also been the uncertainty over Gary Cahill's future which may have hindered their start to this season. Coyle is a canny manager in the transfer market though using the loan system as well as anyone in the league, as shown by Sturridge and Wilshere's successful short term loans at the club. These loans have proven that Bolton is a decent finishing school for promising youngsters at the bigger clubs who need to gain Premier League experience. I think Coyle will salvage Bolton's season in January and get them back on to steady ground next season. Remember Moyes had a similar start to his Premier League managerial career at Everton...
Aye. This is a quality post. I guess no one beyond the outskirts of Manchester is able to see this. Cheers!
Jimmybreeze 2 years ago
And this is why the Bolton manager is 'still' in charge, not because his face fits
I'm unsure what a Saint is going on about a northern club for. Maybe still sore that Coyle relegated you to League One?

Coyle has ALL the support from the supporters. If you were a Bolton fan you'd already know this. If you watched the Blackburn v. Bolton match you'd already have seen this. The management styles and class couldn't be different or in stronger contrast. And if you knew anything about Bolton's board and upper management then you'd already know Coyle is safe and going nowhere.

Anyway, Le Tissier is class, and if you wanted to know what is going on at my club just ask me. No need for amateur speculation.

Coyle and club!
The club alignment on the 'footytubeblog' account is set to Southampton because I set it up and we need all the fans we can get! It is an account holder so we can place all the blogs in one place so the actual author could support any club
Theres a difference between Kean and Coyle so don't try to compare them. Things have gone downhill for Kean ever since he took over and it's quite obvious that the only reason he's still there is because the owners want a yes-man like him who will do whatever they say. Coyle on the other hand had a good season last year and even though things are looking very well for Bolton at the moment Coyle's still got time to turn things around. However the same can't be said about Blackburn who will have to fire Kean to stand any chance of escaping relegation
Redsince63 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
If the face fits is one thing that's right, could you imagine what the England team might have achieved with Brian Clough on the job ! But there was no way he was ever going to get the offer !
This post has been removed by a footytube administrator
Post removed as not relevant to the discussion here and it made me cry
Aye. Aplogies. Just didn't like seeing Coyle's face scrambled every time I logged onto footytube! It's gone now, so I'm fine. You'll be in the EPL next year nonetheless! Cheers!
Weezer (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Overrated Benitez? The guy had no money and we won the goddamn champions league and came second the season before he left in the 08-09 season (we could have won it if not for the draws with the bottom half of the table). Stop hating on Benitez, he realised the situation at liverpool thanks to the owners who were almost bankrupt and so he resigned/ was thrown out
Didn't he get sacked after the 09/10 when they lost the champions league slot?
There was incredible hell going on behind the scenes with the Hicks/Gillete ownership and I don't think a single person involved with the club was happy with the way it was going.

From his wiki "Benítez left the club by mutual consent on 3 June 2010;"
United 2 - 3 Rovers.    I've never seen an article eat so much crow so quickly.
I'll expect we will see a full, detailed article from the same blogger outlining the reasons behind why Man United crashed out of the Champions league to weaker opposition, lost to bottom of the league Blackburn, dropped Rooney to the bench and are trailing in the league to Man City, a team they have been mercilessly taunting for decades.

Should be a good read
For this article to eat crow over this result would require the fans to suddenly become fickle and demand Fergies sacking or for united to go on a god awful run and the fans to stand behind their manager.
Unless I missed the part where the author writes 'United will never lose to Blackburn ever' did I?

Next article will either be: 'Liverpool back racist', 'Carroll, Waste of Money? ' or 'Kenny Responsible for Global Recession'. Never let it be said we are nothing but balanced
'Liverpool back racist', 'Carroll, Waste of Money? ' or 'Kenny Responsible for Global Recession'

To be completely honest, I think half of us are expecting that as the next blog

Banner at Old Trafford where the 'fickle' fans wanted Fergie out.... They hated him for the first six years
Looks like they waited at least 3 years there, not really fickle eh also not the point I was making
Asabul786 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
OK....
THE AUTHOR IS RIGHT FACE IT LIVERPOOL BUILD A TEAM OUT OF SACKING MANAGERS ARSENAL OUT OF LATEST PLAYERS MAN CITY THINK THEY CAN BUY A TEAM SO THEY BUILD A TEAM OUT OF MONEY CHELSEA GOES FOR THE SAME REASON AS LIVERPOOL BUT PEOPLE LOOK AT UNITED 1 MANAGER IN THE PAST 25 YEARS AND THAT IS FERGUSON BECAUSE WE GAVE HIM TIME. THAT'S HOW WE ARE SO SUCCESSFUL THAT'S HOW WE WON 19 PREMIER
LEAGUE TITLES THAT'S HOW WE WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE OR BE RUNNERS UP WE ONLY GOT KNOCKED OUT CAUSE OF NO VIDIC IF WE HAD HIM WE'VE HAD WON THE GAME WE don't GET A RICH OWNER AND BUY A TEAM WE don't SACK OUR MANAGER LIKE A 1000 TIMES OH YEAH ABOUT MONEY REMEMBER WE WERE IN DEBT ONCE AND WE STILL WON TROPHY ATER TROPHY AND THE ONLY COMPLAINT I HAVE IS THAT WHY AREN'T MAN CITY
ON THIS BLOG THEY SACKED MARK HUGHES WHEN HE WAS DOING EXACTLY THE SAME THING BUILDING A TEAM OUT OF MONEY
Firstly, calm down.

Secondly, United have spent 50 million on players this season alone. Other notable signings... Rooney 27 mill... Ferdinand 27 mill.... Berbatov 30 mill....
United have always bought in top talent, so the illusion that they get their teams for free is nonsense. Link: www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/man...

Secondly, if you say the fans gave Fergie time, they didn't. They hated him for about the first six years at the club and wanted him out. See above for fans protests during matches. Of course, once he started winning, all was rosy, just like the way the fans hated the Glazers, until the team started winning again
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
No need for the caps lock mate, its not the done thing
Liverpool built a team out of sacking managers? What a biased post

Kick4Life - changing lives through football