Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
How Small The Team Will Surprise In Champion's League
Franboy (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Each year one or two small teams going in 1 / 4 or 1 / 2 final champion's league.
In 2004, Monaco was in the final.
In 2005, PSV has been semi-final
In 2006, Villareal was in the semifinals....
This year, will you consider a small team go to semi-final or final?

I think Lyon can go in 1/2 finale this year. If Lyon qualify with a good draft in 1 / 8 finals because It is a very strong team, better organized than last season. It is stronger than last year because it plays more as a team. She too was based on its individual last season.
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 5 years ago
I don't really consider lyon a small team. But I think they could make it to the 1/4 finals
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 5 years ago
On the round of play compared to other French teams they are not a small club, but compared to other clubs currently in the Champions League they would be considered a small team budget wise technically
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Lyon aren't that small a team though. I thought you might mean teams who are like, not known to a lot of people lie Vfl Wolfsburg who are playing Manchester United tonight. Lyon have won the French Ligue one for many times in a row. In my opinion, Atletico Madrid could make it big in the Champions league and maybe come out of it as the same reputation as Barcelona and Real Madrid. On very small teams I don't know who really I could pck because I don't think many wil get that far. But I think Atletico, yes, can be sure of getting further than they have done
Small = small budget team
Lyon is a good team, but not much money, no stars. Can not compare lyon -> chelsea mutd, madrid, barcelona, inter milan, liverpool, ....
For example, Wolfsburg, AZ, marseille.... Are small team who do not have much money
Theshid (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Lyon= Small budget wow! Look the players they buyed this season
Lisandro lopez = 24 million euros
Pjanic =8million
Gomis = around 15 million
Aly Cissokho= around 15 million
Bastos I don't eactly his price but they payed the cash,
So clearly Lyon hasn't a small budget believe me, they spent more than teams like Arsenal and Liverpool I think the only teams who spent more than them are Real Madrid, Man city, and Barca
Incuteration (Everton) 5 years ago
Yeah, but considering they lost Juninho and Benzema. It is still a surprise if they go to the semi finals
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Juninhio and Benzema were their main attacking threats and with them gone, I don't think I can see them progressing too far either unless the team can work well together as a whole
I don't agree if you watch la ligue 1 and even the results in Champions league you can see that that Lyon is much more stronger than last season with those new players. We all know that Juninho and Benzema are top players but now they play much more as a team and are more dangerous in my opinion. Don't underestimate them they got real quality in that team
Compare a chelsea, liverpool, mutd, AC and Inter Milan, Barca, Madrid, Valencia, Athletico.... Lyon has a small budget. It would be unable to pay the salaries of all these players.
Since 5 years, lyon sold Diarra (Madrid), Abidal (Barcelona), Malouda (Chelsea), Essien (Chelsea), Benzema (madrid), Keita (Galatasaray), .... They have never replaced these players! This year, Lyon bought lopez, bastos, gomis ok
But why Lyon was never able to buy Trezeguet, Huntelaar, Fabiano, viera? ? ? ? ? ? Becaufe it would be unable to pay their salaries.
You say, lyon = arsenal, liverpool? The salary of torres and gerrard is equal to the salary of the all players lyon...
They are unable to pay the salaries only because la ligue 1 isn't watch by many people outside so french clubs don't earn too much money, but Lyon won 7 consecutive leagues and are in the group stage of the champion league for 10 season so they got money.
It's true that they can't attract stars like Torres but what I'm saying is that this summer they spent more than Arsenal and Liverpool and other big teams, they have quality in their team and can compete this season with the big guns.
And believe me with what Lisandro Lopez showed so far he's worth Huntelaar and the others you named. That's my opinion though I'm not forcing you to agree with me lol
Lyon has money to buy a player (20 millions) ok
But Lyon did not have money to take 2 or 3 large salaries throughout the year. Transfers viera and Trezeguet are proof. These two players no longer played in their club, they wanted to return to France. Inter and Juventus wanted to sell. But Lyon have never reached an agreement with the players. If Lyon had money as a big club, he would have great players.
Is a real debate the shid, I talk to you
I agree with your argument on the salaries, but again money isn't everything, it's true that the biggest club in Europe are the ones who have the money.
But you can find talented players who doesn't ask for huge salaries and that's what Lyon did this summer (Arsene Wenger does the same thing). And I personally think that Lyon have great players, they got a great goalkeeper who is still young, great midfield and top class strikers you don't always needs to have big players like kaka in your team to compete with the big guns.
Be sure that when a player from Lyon leave is for a very big club, so they have great players but they can't buy players who are already established as world class I agree with you on that point
Thank you, you're right, Lyon is a great club with good players. But if he wins the champion's league, it would be a surprise for everyone. Nice discussion with you
Yeah me too good debate. I think you speak french am I right? , it would be easier if we could write in french around here lol
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Fran I introduce you Theshid, he gives me a lot of lesson here about all those footytube applications !
Moreover he speaks franch and has a good vision a what football is.... In my opinion !
A good guy !
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Interesting question which club will surprise everybody? ....
There is just two days of champions league and it's to me to soon to jugde all team.
But I see some good performances from Rubin Kazan, Wolsfburg, and Sevilla!
So we will see after the third game !

Seville has much experience, seville has twice won the UEFA Cup. I'd bet on them too
I'm placing my money on Lyon to 1/4 or the finale and Zurich and Unirea to the 1/16. Shocker would be Milan and Stuttgart going out of the champions league group stage
Zurich to play a good game in Milan. Few teams will win at San Siro. If he beats Marseille in the double confrontation, it will go further in the competition
Yea Lyon has the quality to compete with the very best this season I think Bordeaux can get through the group stage as well
I'd like to see 2 French clubs in 1/8 finals. There might be a chance for 1 club in 1/4 finals...
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I think in think in this champions league won't be a surprise team there are to many strong teams like Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Juve, Inter, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal for 4 spots maybe in 1/16 a surprise but in 1/4 won't
You're right the big teams seem stronger than before. It'll be difficult for small teams but every year the champion's league gives us surprises. The example is Milan vs Zurich 0 - 1...
Pragathish (AC Milan) 5 years ago
I think bordeaux fc will do well this time...
Bordeaux is only on course to retain his title in league 1. The club has played the stability card, there is a bench provided the duo Gourcuff-Chamack still works, and the game is still beautiful. If he do a good result against munich, it will qualify for 1 / 8
Cska hasnt been bad, though they have quite a task in beating out either united or wolfsburg for a place in the knowckout stages. Wouldnt it be great seeing the first russian team win it though led by young dzagoev?
CSKA and Wolfsburg? . I would say wolfsburg, it will be tight between these two teams for second place. If wolfsburg found his game last year. It will be difficult to beat. (Graphite, Dzeko, martins, musimovic...
Very true it will be tight. But IF CSKA can pull it off, that in itself would be a miracle.... And I think it may be a distinct possibility
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
If florentina do good I will be more than happy
Elucari (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Yeah, but you're only saying it so they justify our loss
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Haha lol a little. But I have been a florentina fan for a bit. Ever since I managed them on fifa 08
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Go Zurich, Standard and AZ Alkmaar!
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I really hope at least one of them can make it into the Quarter-finals!
I think zurich may qualify if it takes 6 points against Marseille, Zurich has 9 points. Standard and az will be difficult to qualify for Arsenal and I olympiakos will win
I think az might be able to edge olympiakos. It will be tough though
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 5 years ago
Rubin Kazan and Unirea Urziceni will be in the last 16 two great teams
Lyon and Bordeaux amazed me. They are qualified after only 4 games. They can finish top of their group and face a small team in eighth-finals. I vote for one of these two teams
Chrisg (Birmingham City) 5 years ago
Looking at the teams there then you wouldn't expect too many surprises, but with liverpool dropping dangerously low we could have a shock in the group stages. I think fiorentina have made a fantastic start to the champion league and they could be a team to go far. Wolfsburg have a chance with the great strike force they have, but I think the biggger teams will shut them out. Lyon are better than last year but didn't look too creative against liverpool
Yes Fiorentina has good players (Mutu, vargas, Jovetic) and has a true center forward (Gilardino)
Shghal (Borussia Dortmund) 5 years ago
I think that Bordeaux will do something great in champion`s league. It is possible to reach the semi final or the final.

Let us wait to see
Bordeaux I made a big impression. 13 points from 15 (in the same group that Munich and Juventus). Waooooo
Yeah the team worked really hard in the matches against Juve and Bayern, this match they marked Del Piero and Diego really well to close down their dangerous passes. Chamakh is really one to watch in the future, his heading is really good and his pace is really really fast. He works effortlessly and deserved to go to a bigger club
Very good analysis, is what I think.  If it continues to be serious, bordeaux can go very far in this competition.
Zzlatan (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I think this year small team can make a difference.
AS you CAN SEE sevilla and florentina.
Both teams are in great form.
If they can be organised well at the back,
I'm sure they can be in 1/4 final at least.
As Rubin Kazan is also playing well,
And this year they have retained the championship of Russia as well.
PepeLePewPew (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Russian teams are a wonder to behold. It is my personal opinion that they only do well if they make it into knock-out stages which mean they get to play a game on home soil. While playing at home is arguably a boost to any team, Russian teams have the advantage of playing most of their time in these sub-optimal conditions. More technical teams that usually also make it into the knock-out phases tend to struggle on such surfaces and gives an upper hand to Russians if they play well in their Away game.

Of course it's subjective, but I'm fairly certain that if any of the Russian teams manage to make it into the knock-out phase, they have a kicking chance of causing more upsets
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 5 years ago
I don't consider sevilla a small team maybe fiorentina btu no sevilla

Kick4Life - changing lives through football