Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
GOAL OF THE YEAR: PUSKAS AWARD
Lytsdb (Barcelona) 4 years ago
The winner of the Puskas Award for the goal of the year, named after the legendary Real Madrid and Hungary forward, will be announced at the FIFA Ballon d'Or gala on January 10, 2011.

Samir Nasri, Lionel Messi, Linus Hallenius, Arjen Robben, Hamit Altintop, Neymar, Siphiwe Tshabalala, Kumi Yokoyoma and Giovanni van Bronckhurst are the other names on the shortlist for the award, which will be decided by the votes of football fans on FIFA's official website.

Videos of the ten goals, as well as the list of scorers and the voting tool, can be found atLink: www.fifa.com/ballondor/puskasaward.

Whats your take?
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I don't see any mention of this goal in your list? And it is on the list, check the link below.
Genuine contender, and had messi scored it, we would be drooling.

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/9195585.st...
Borg (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Burrow's goal is the best by a long shot
LFCredforlife (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I found Neymar's and Tshabalala's goals good strikes but not goal of the year worthy - they were probably thrown in for political reasons. I don't think they chose the best goals from Robben or Messi, as those two had some phenomenal goals during the course of the year. The others are simply outstanding, especially Altintop and Burrows.
I feel that Torres' goal against Sunderland should take the spot of one of the lesser goals, but that's probably because I'm extremely biased
Ltm017 4 years ago
LFC yeah lol but its okay to be bias I love Torres too so I wouldn't mind. Forlan scored a similar goal this past weekend too!
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
I got miss of the decade?

Or maybe this lol

Wheres that big hole.... Lmfao
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
LOL...
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
First one sucks so bad
Elacksonen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Tough choice but I think the best goal of the year is missing form their 10. By far the best goal of the year this one by Lukas Jutkiewicz.

If the goal itself isn't amazing enough for you the context is in the comeback of the century. 4 goals down in the last 10 minutes and this cracker ties it at 6-6 in stoppage time. Incredible!
Reidscott (Fiorentina) 4 years ago
WOW.... Amazing...
Great goal
Puskas (Manchester United) 3 years ago
What a goal what a game legendary stuff
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
unbelievable!
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Just for long range fan, this has got to be one.

Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
MAMMA MIA!
FBejaoui (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Mammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmma Mia mia mia!
That goal was magical!
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Epic
Harry17 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Simply stunning.... !
Lumileppardi (Swansea City) 3 years ago
I tend to think that when you've seen one long range screamer, you've seen them all.... But this was epic . I'd surely like to possess Pirlo's shooting technique...
Sam (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
I've seen most of the goals, and although Burrows does score a very special goal, my vote goes to Linus Hallenius, who was able to combine quick thinking, superior technical skill and sheer power into producing a gem of a goal, reminiscent of one scored by one of the best of all time in van Basten:

Pure technique their
Samir Nasri vs Porto  
May not be nominated but this goal by Elmander at the weekend was very special

Beautiful turn
4 years ago
Ok folks, had a look at all the goals and here are my prices

Linus Hallenius
11/4
Matty Burrows
4/1
Lionel Messi
9/2
Hamit Altintop
5/1
Arjen Robben
9/1
Samir Nasri
9/1
Kumi Yokoyama
12/1
Giovanni Van Bronckhorst
12/1
Neymar
14/1
Siphiwe Tshabalala
20/1
I'll have £20 on burrows
Feidiantrade (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Wow!
Sharpoon (Hull City) 4 years ago
If Messi had scored Matty Burrow's goal people would be falling over each other to praise him and queueing up to bow at his knees. Burrow HAS to win it.
Well that's the problem mate, he's only semi pro irish league, and as much as it pains me to say it, because I support linfield, matt burrows glentorans big rivals, it was the best goal by a street, great when they come off in the last minute like that goal did, to win the game, but terrible looking when they go wrong.... Lol
As I said in an earlier post, had messi scored it, there wouldnt even be a discussion about it.
Give the lad his few minutes of fame, messi doesent need it
I don't care what league that lad is playing in that was pure magic granted he probaly won't get a look in, from what I saw it was pure class he will be a legend at glentoran for ever more if he got it I would be on my knees nice one kid
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 4 years ago
Zehavy's overhead kick against Lyon is unbeattable! So far.... ^^
Robbery69 (Bayern München) 4 years ago
Robben should win it, he had 3 or 4 stunning goals, they could have included the freekick against Bremen or his goal against Manutd.

Incredible sprint across almost the whole field, and considering it was in the 111th min I think its deserved, but then again I am very bias and that goal made me lose it

Altintop or Burrows are my favs if Robben doesn't get it
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I voted for Burrows, just a goal you dream about. Juggling the ball, I love touching it with my heel, but it is difficult, to score a goal like that just doesn't happen very often. In fact I don't know if I have ever seen one like it, ala Zico, but without the scorpion motion, and from that distance, just pure football at it's finest. Spontaneity, you don't think about scoring a goal like that, but there it is, beautiful.

Contenders for me are Hamit Altintop's stunner, Van Bronkhorst's, another stunner, Linus, pure skill, or Yokoyama! All I can say is I am glad I saw that goal, incredible solo effort, wonderful dribbling, maybe the Messiah should take a note from this man's book hahaha. Speaking of Messiah, didn't think that was his best goal, my favorite was against Stuttgart, or the bender (against Sevilla I want to say), or where he rips it off a player, then takes on about five more and sticks it in, forget who that was against too
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
That curler was against Getafe, there is one angle directly behind Lio, where it looks impossible for him to score but he curls it around 3 or four defenders, goal keeper has no chance. And the other one was against Zaragoza he really only took on two players after he stole the ball, still beautiful goal. Stuttgart goal is still my favorite though, Lehman just flopping in the air like a fish out of water, no chance
3 years ago
Altintop gets it. Thoroughly deserved, what a cracker!
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Great goal, indeed, but I was rooting for Burrows. Fantastic back of the heel
Ltm017 3 years ago
Did you see Altintop face he was just as surprised as most of us. Great goal though and he does deserve it
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 3 years ago
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Hahaha that is an awesome way to receive an award, that was a cracking goal. I was pulling for Burrows, but obviously more people thought this the better goal, so Altintop deserves it. What a goal Hamit, congratulations
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I liked the burrows goal myself, but I didn't ever see him winning it, it wouldnt be fashionable enough for an irish league player to win it, ask mr blatter, he'll tell you that himself.
And I'm wary of ANY results that fifa are involved in, still great goals, its not the players fault, but fifa can't be trusted
+1 for Burrows here.... Nothing against Altintop and the winning goal was swell as well.... But really, the Burrows goal was sth I had never seen before! And I've seen my share of football.

I mean backheel-lobbing the goalkeeper from the edge of the penalty area, himself in mid-air...
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
I'm surprised some 14yr old prince from qatar who couldn't kick a camel didn't win it
Ltm017 3 years ago
LMBO I love the look on his face priceless

Altintop: " Who me? Oh yes me.... I won? YAY for me!"

If I had to choose between two to win it other than Altintop I would choose Burrows.... Which you will probably rarely if ever see again and Hallenius because it was just ridiculous control and technique!
Jeroen (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Well, to be honest I always fancied Hamit's goal the best. I've said so in many threads concerning this award, and I stand by my decision of course. The Burrows goal was nice, but Altintop's is so much better in so many ways: a perfect corner, then the best possible volley you can imagine for about 25 yards out. It was powerful, perfectly struck and ended in the very top of the top corner of the goal. Anyone that plays football can tell you such a volley is without a shred of doubt the most difficult common shot there is.

Matty Burrows did something brilliant by instinct, and it worked out. But to be honest, technically it wasn't as difficult as Altintop's, and it was in some low level game too. I've scored a goal similar to Hallenius' goal in a game once, and although I can safely say it was a goal to remember, it wasn't as difficult as something as 'easy' or common as a perfect free kick from the edge of the box. And I scored free kicks like that, but I can't even imagine scoring a volley like Hamit's
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Haha Tony maybe your right, but I hope this award escaped corruption. It is supposed to be a people's award, Burrow's goal was like nothing I have ever seen, that's why I think it deserved to win. Jeroen yes Altintop's was pure class, but that goal is a set piece but that has been performed by many teams, Scholes has probably scored a couple goals like that himself, Valencia has a similar goal as well. Take nothing away from him it's a great goal, but Matty's is just pure and perfect instinct, it is like the first scorpion ever scored by Zico, there is a video where he explains how he scored it, it's fantastic. There is no premeditation in a goal like that, just reacted on his feelings and pulled off something amazing, to me that is why that goal is far away better than the others
Donnchadh that was exactly what I was thinking.... The lack of premeditation (though he confessed he had tried it in training) and then just coming up with sth even Zico or Higuita would be proud of
Just seen that lads goal for glentoran if I scored that i'd still be celebrating magic

Kick4Life - changing lives through football