Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Footytube VOTE - Team Of The Season (Premier League)
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Preznet (Manchester United) 2 years ago
No way should Walker have more votes than Ivanovic. Get it together people! Pff.... As if this were some silly exercise in democracy. Go again and vote Ivanovic.

And I'm a Man UTD fan, but I really don't think Jonny Evans belongs on the list of CBs. I've hated on him for the whole year, and even I'll admit that he's improved a lot this season filling in for Vidic. But to be considered one of the best CB's in the league? No way. Too far. And who knows what Fergie means when he talks about his own players. The man's full of riddles
Barracuda (Manchester United) 2 years ago
A poor season and you start hating one of the promising young defenders around?
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Jonny Evans is very overrated. I beat you Preznet, it's been 2 consecutive seasons for me now
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
Choices are limited. I feel like I am being channeled to vote for certain people
It is a short list, any glaring omissions?
Alexinho (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I agree with Somere that the list of choices are limited and I would like to see a couple of names here.

How come Pappis Cisse is in the list with his half season, yet players like Scholes and Santon who has been among the best in their position (if not the best) in this half of the season are not included?
Tony (footytube staff) 2 years ago
I reckon jonny evans should be in there, maybe not a winner, but deserves a mention.
Touted as one if not the best cb this season by fergie himself
Araz (Queens Park Rangers) 2 years ago
There are dozens more that deserved a mention, but remember we have to keep this list at a reasonable length so certain debatable players were omitted.

The question you should ask yourself is this "is the player I am about to suggest really potentially the best in his position this season and who on the existing list was he better than? "

You'll find those question s would probably remove the likes of Scholes, Santon and Evans from consideration, but we're happy to take suggestions on board for the final awards
No I don't.

If I have to put up a 4-4-2 team, it would be:

Krul
Walker-Kompany-Vermalen-Santon
Silva-Scholes-Toure-Mata
Cisse-RVP
Fair enough, there is an argument for Scholes, maybe. But Santon will have to wait his turn, maybe next year!
Barracuda (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Sure scholes as been great since his return, but players who played through the entire season should be shortlisted ahead of him.

Apart from johnny evans and grant holt, I think the list is alright
Cisse is there, he got to newcastle in the winter window so then the list contradicts itself if that is why they didn't conclude Scholes....

(Cisse is also the striker with 2nd most votes)
Scholes was not included because he was not better than any other CM we shortlisted (in our opinion)
Rudd (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Matter of opinion Matt am I right? So why not ask OUR opinion?
TheTorresBounce (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Wow simmer down.... Look at it pragmatically! They would have to list an unreasonable number of players to get everyone's opinion down, there is certainly no player that you can name that was the BEST in their position that they omitted surely? My grievance is with the actual positioning of the players, mata Did not play in left midfield for most of the season and Silva is definitely not a right midfielder, nor is hatem Ben arfa to name a few! Both silva and mata are leading in their respective positions so I think the results in these positions are abit bogus to be honest
@Matt, well if that was the reason then fine.

I might not agree, but at least it is more reasonable than saying it is because he didn't play the whole season I guess so I can accept it
KGByrne (Liverpool) 2 years ago
So it's going to end up pretty much all Man City by the looks of the choices
Well they have a lot of decent players, hence they are top of the league
I am seriously considering not giving the GK award to Joe Hart despite the votes, if you look at the GK saves and shots faced stats Joe Hart is in the bottom 5 for both. He made some crucial saves but and conceded the fewst goals but he has his defence to thank for that a lot more than some other teams. If you're talking about GK's really contributing to their sides Krul would get my vote right now
True araz, keepers at top sides seldom come under pressure and make nowhere near the amount of saves a goalkeeper at a mid table side would make
Maccorm (Barcelona) 2 years ago
The GK debate is an interesting one for sure. But if you look at big saves, Hart has to be the guy. Sometimes he only stops on shot per game, but its a game saver. And his team is going to win the league. He's the best in the league, no one can argue that. But Krul, Vorm, Friedel have been outstanding too. All great keepers
Al habsi and ruddy have also impressed me of late
So why even vote if your not even going to acknowldge the hundreds of people voting and instead base it on your own individual opinion...
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
"I am seriously considering not giving the GK award to Joe Hart despite the votes"    Why have a poll?
^exactly...
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Should David Silva really be considered a right mid? More like a right or left forward/attacking mid

Edit: Well I guess so but you're listing the two of the best players on the same side
Same with mata, he's not a left mid I wouldn't say, more central attack mid
It's really hard to pin those kinds of players down they play across the park and change positions during the game too. According to the companies who keep the stats Silva started 16 games as RM, 10 LM, and only 4 as ACM. Also the PFA have him listed as a RM too, though of course I do agree all of this is debatable
AussieGooner14 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Where is Arteta?  Or Sagna?
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
Kos, ashley williams, sessegnon, evans, carrick, ruddy, pilkington, holiett
AFC11 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Where is kos? KOS!
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I want to say a few things, theres some options that are limited for sure, and little interesting for the ones for vote 2 or more, but ya like that there is this vote thing but there should be a bigger list and stuff. But whatever
CFLNHLFIFAFAN (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I want to say a few things, theres some options that are limited for sure, and little interesting for the ones for vote 2 or more, but ya like that there is this vote thing but there should be a bigger list and stuff. But whatever
Bobbiemassage (HNK Hajduk Split) 2 years ago
I miss Jelavic
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Limited as hell. Well, Its better than your other ones, that for sure
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I am a little surprised Evra is on the list. He has started a lot of games but he has not been a great performer this year. I hate to say it but its true
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Brad freidel deserves the keeper award
Skrtel ahead of terry any day, did no one see the Liverpool Chelsea game? Terry is past it
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
So um, Does Terry's entire season bank on that game? I'm sure Skrtel has had bad days
First of all that wasnt just a bad game, that was about the worst I have ever seen a centre back play, ever. Period. Throw in his red card against Barca, his hit and miss performances, his disgusting personality (kind of irrelevant, but just for fun) and you have a player who is not only looking further and further from getting a place in the england squad, but one whom is far, far past his best and is no longer a reliable defender for club or country, plus he is the scourge of the premier league (don't dare bring Suarez because, trust me, terry is worse) but again I digress. Contrast this with Skrtel who is having his best season to date, is the only real mainstay in one of the most formidable (the third statistically) defenses in the league, and is made of frikin steel.... No contest
Clements54 (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Van the man all the way
KingHarryKewell (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Goalkeeper (Vorm) - It's natural to go for Hart as he's been stellar between the sticks this season, and one of the reasons as to why Man City have been high up in the table, but my vote goes to Michael Vorm, who has been nothing short of impressive this season. A gun at penalty saves, a keeper that seems to pull off the most amazing saves and a good reason as to why Swansea are so high up in the table - that gets my vote. Honourable mentions to Hart and Tim Krul.

LB (Baines) - Enrique could possibly have been up there had he not had a shocker the second half of the season, but one wonders why Evra is up there - the whole racism controversy aside, Evra has been one of the weak links for Man United, and is too often caught out by more pacy wingers or strikers. One questions as to why he made the list there in my opinion. With Evra eliminated, the other three are worthy choices, but my vote goes to Leighton Baines, he's fast, strong and a good eye for goal. Honourable mention to Assou-Ekotto.

CB (Skrtel and Kompany) - A more easier choice, with both Skrtel and Kompany being rocks in defence this season, as well as plugging in a number of goals as well, so that was an easy choice. Some might argue that John Terry has been the same, but he's had a few slip-ups this season that's led to goals, not to mention his red card against Barca. So Skrtel and Kompany it is, with an honourable mention to Coloccini.

RB (Walker) - A bit of a difficult choice here, as all four have impressed with their respective clubs. Ivanovic is such a beast of a defender, not to mention popping up with a few goals as well, but my vote goes to Kyle Walker - you know when you score a great goal from a free kick, as well as being a solid defender that you're a winner. Honourable mentions to Ivanovic, Johnson and Simpson.

LM (Mata) - Again a little more of a difficult choice. Gareth Bale normally is a winner in this category due to his pace, agility and good eye for goal, and Samir Nasri would also be up there usually - except that he hasn't had much game time in comparison to his time at Arsenal. Juan Mata has been one of the most impressive players this season, and thus gets my vote for this position. Honourable mention to Bale too.

CM (Toure and Dempsey) - Odd to see Lampard in the list and no Gerrard, but with the latter being injured a fair amount this season, it seems fair to make that judgement. Lampard may be seen as good, but to be honest he's not that good to be in this list in my opinion. Yaya Toure has been such a beast in midfield that he easily gets one of the votes here. The other vote was a little more tricky, with Modric, Song, Parker, Dempsey and Cabaye all impressing - my vote in the end went to Dempsey, he's been phenomenal for Fulham this season, with honourable mentions to the rest.

RM (Silva) - Taking out Theo Walcott from this season as he's incredibly inconsistent, it was hard to choose between the other three. However, Ben Arfa hasn't started every game this season (so I'll give him an honourable mention) and Silva is a tricky sod that very few players can shut down, so my vote goes to him, with another honourable mention to Valencia.

FW (Van Persie and Cisse) - How could you not go past the leading top scorer and a striker who is in such hot form right now, not to mention scoring the goal of the season? It's a no brainer really, but honourable mentions go to Aguero (who has lit up since moving to the EPL) and Suarez (again, the whole racism issue aside, he's a very talented player)

Kick4Life - changing lives through football