Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Football Books
Gunning4Glory (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Thought it might be cool to have a place to discuss football related books. Anyone read Redknapp, Bergkamp or Ferguson's recent autobiographies? If so fancy sharing what you thought of them
Thelastdj (Portland Timbers) 1 year ago
Not an autobiography, and the book is so old it is out of print, but my favorite football book will always be "Goalkeepers Are Different" by Brian Glanville. My first year in youth soccer (forgive my use of soccer rather than football, have to use soccer here in America so as not to confuse the lowest common denominator) was not off to an auspicious beginning. I had never played the sport until age 10, and I was a day late joining my team. Thus, I was told to go play "goalie" as no one else on the team wanted the position. That first day was tough, as I felt isolated, rejected, and, well, different. I read Glanville's book, and it changed my attitude instantly. I came to embrace and cherish the characteristics of any successful goalkeeper. Goalkeepers ARE different, and if we weren't different, we wouldn't be goalkeepers
Gunning4Glory (Arsenal) 1 year ago
Haha, bet that taught you to turn up on time That sounds really cool, heard a lot about it and you've made me really tempted to go and read this book

Kick4Life - changing lives through football