Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
FIFA Ballon D'Or 2010
Lytsdb (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Here is the list of players nominated for the FIFA Ballon D'Or 2010:

Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Côte d'Ivoire), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fabregas (Spain), Diego Forlan (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Muller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Netherlands), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

Given spains world cup triump, Casillas, Xavi and the world cup finals goal scorer Iniesta are said to be the fore-runners for the award. Guess Messi and Ronaldo can stand by and cheer. Though it will be a tough choice to make. Should the performances of players in the World cup gain precedence over their toils all season long, or will it be vice versa. At this point of time there seems to be no clear winner. Or is there? Whats your take?
Zian6 (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Man Sneijder should of win it!
Vika09 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Xavi, Messi or Iniesta
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Funny because that is the final 3 shortlist
4 years ago
Wesley Sneijder wins it, without a shadow of doubt
Charliehenry (Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal) 4 years ago
Messi or Iniesta or Snieder I think will win it this year, I actually think Iniesta is favourite over Messi because his World Cup winning goal. However Sneijder had a great year and Inter won the Champions league. I'm very surprised Higuain is not on the list he had a great year last season for Madrid
Ltm017 4 years ago
I agree.... He should be on that list! Crazy that he is not
And where is Rooney?
Everyone thought he should be player of the year, I gotta' say if Drogba is on this list surely Rooney should be. Seems he isn't as good as we all thought
Jeroen (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Personally I think it would be simply ridiculous to nominate anyone else than Messi or Ronaldo. Both players are IMO a level above anyone else, even above Iniesta or Xavi. And I'd give it to Messi for his constant great form. Even considering the WC, his worst performance last year. He was the best man for Argentina, a team filled with greats (despite not scoring).
When Messi is average, he's still one of the best in Barcelona. When he's good, it's as good as certain he'll be the MOTM that day. When he's great, he single-handedly destroys teams, creates chances out of nowhere, scores in abundance and easily covers a mile or so WITH the ball in the whole game.
He is the best dribbler in the world, his runs are always clever, he has amazing vista, works hard, is a great passer of the ball, has a deadly accurate shot and he's very reliable and consistent.

I consider Xavi the best playmaker in the world, Iniesta the most technically complete player and Sneijder the revelation of 09-10. But seriously, none of them have such a dramatic effect on a game as Messi. As I said before, the only one that comes close would be Ronaldo right now.

Edit: But if he'll actually win it again, I don't know. It's like with the oscars: as soon as you've already won once, the odds are against you. Which is ridiculous, because some people just have extraordinary talent for their jobs and simply are the best year in, year out. Usain Bolt will be the best for years to come, and we all know that because there's only one thing to consider in the 100m run which is speed. And I bet that if you'd ask 1000 coaches, scouts or former players, the vast majority would agree Messi is the best because on the highest level, he makes a huge impact most games, like only real greats can
Ltm017 4 years ago
How could Xavi, Iniesta and Sneijder not have a dramatic effect on a game when they are the ones in the background creating chances/making plays and sometimes scoring game winning goals?
Because playmakers are playmakers. They create chances, pass around well, position themselves well so that they're always free to pass to. But Messi does all of that higher up the pitch too, and he scores goals to his desire AND successfully dribbles tons of times creating room for the others and himself. The only thing he doesn't do as much is fall back to defend - which his position simply prevents him to do.

I really think there is no player as influential with his actions with and without the ball as Messi. Xavi comes close, but to reach the level of Messi he'd have to do something more than being the clock of Barça. He does that to perfection, true, but it takes more than genius passing and positioning to become the world player of the year IMO. Xavi and Iniesta are top 4 though
4 years ago
Sneijder, with Inter, won the treble, plus the Supercoppa Italiana last season. He was the only member of the Dutch squad, that kicked their way to the final of the World Cup, to walk away from the tournament in a positive light.

It's an absolute no brainer folks, Sneijder wins the award hands down
See, I understand why people think that, but I find it ridiculous that votes for the player of the year are based on awards won by a team. Also: winning cups is always for a large part being lucky. Barcelona won em all 2 years ago, and out of all those games, there were at least 3 I can recall that we were kinda lucky in. Inter as well: the 2nd leg game against Barcelona where they won on aggregate with 3-2 should have been a victory for Barça, as Bojan's last minute goal was disallowed for no rightful reason. It would've been 2-0 then and 3-3 on agg. Which meant Barça won with that away goal. Most likely we would've beaten Bayern in the finals then too.

So luck plays a huge part in winning cups, and it's also a team effort. Sneijder is vital for Inter, but he's definitely not the sole reason they did so well. As for the World Cup: I'm a Holland fan (I'm partially Dutch) but I have to say 3 of his 5 goals were pretty lucky too.
If you look at all games Sneijder played, you can't deny he's one of the best midfielders and playmakers in the world. But I still consider Xavi better in everything but long shots and perhaps free kicks than Sneijder, also last year. And as I said above, if Xavi is eligible, Messi should win it
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Netnerd well said, eventhough I'd hate to see an Interista win it, I can deny that Sneijder deserves it more than anyone else.

And not sure why would some say Messi, he had an awful world cup, and we are taking a world cup year into consideration. Apart from the liga he won nothing.
Wes on the other hand has won the treble, was a clear driving force for inter and holland
4 years ago
Its not ridiculous that the key player, for a team that has won awards should win the award - its natural, and it happens every year.

Lucky teams win trebles? Gimme a break.

I certainly don't think he's the best player in the world, but for the period in which this award is judged, he undoubtedly ticks all the boxes
Yes, luck plays a BIG part. In the league it's reduced to a low percentage, but in the cups for sure. If you don't agree with that, that's fine, but I really think it does. Sure, Inter was excellent last year, Barça was godlike 2 years ago, but still you can easily point out a few games that have been decisive in their run to their resp. Treble and sextuple (is that even a word?).
Remember this goal?

Iniesta admitted that that goal changed it all: it was the start of the famous winning streak. I of course was thrilled when that happened, but every Barça fan with a little sense will admit that was down to luck, and nice skill from Iniesta too of course. But I bet even San Andrés couldn't repeat that beautiful strike twice in a row at such a moment. That, I consider luck. Inter had a similar moment last year when Bojan's winning goal was disallowed, which was even luckier, as Iniesta's goal was 100% legit, while Bojan's goal should've counted as well - Inter was saved by a crucial bad decision from the ref in the very last minute
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Don't think the luck factor is gonna' be taken in to account, its the trophies that matters.
Last year barca were lucky to win the champions league but didn't messi go on to win the award? Lucky or not the thing is whether he was behind the team's success. The answer is YES for Sneijder.

The most important player of the most successful team generally wins the award.
2009: Barca - Messi, 2008: Manutd - Ronaldo and so on....

Simple as that!
Ltm017 4 years ago
It still doesn't mean that Sneijder will or should win the award. Yes he is a top contender for it but IMO there is also the world cup to consider.... Being that Spain won it and its not like Barca did too bad.... Not compared to the previous year(Who can?) and such Iniesta and Xavi are right there too
My point is it is unfair if Messi is awarded, 'cause many seem to forget this is a world cup year!  Imo, 1) Sneijder 2) Iniesta 3) Forlan
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Netnerd that picture has got to go, disgusting and uncalled for
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Xavi deserves it more than anybody else. Sniejder comes a close second, with Messi behind him.
How Diego Milito, Ashley Cole and Pique missed out on the final 23 shortlist is beyond me. Diego Milito was the best club forward last season albeit he did not have a great world cup, but he at-least has to be in the final 23. Pique was the best central defender for me in the world last season for both club and country. He deserves it more than Carlos Puyol if there was just one place in the final 23 for the central defender. Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world and he had a better season than Dani Alves (though he is a right back) so deserves his place in the final 23.

My order of players to win the Ballon D' Or: (top 5)

Xavi
Wesley Sneijder
Lionel Messi
Bastian Schweinstiger
Andreas Iniesta

Ltm017 4 years ago
No I think Iniesta should win it. So underrated he is.... I don't think Messi or Ronaldo should win it.... Really? What has Ronaldo done that was so great in the past year? Yeah we know he is currently one of the best players in the world but what else. Messi love Messi but also I don't think he should win it either.... He does a lot of Barca but.... Its a but....

I agree with your list and except

Xavi
Andreas Iniesta
Wesley Sneijder
Bastian Schweinstiger
Diego Forlan
I don't think Iniesta is underrated after the WC really. He was before, as all Barça fans know. But right now all pundits put Iniesta on a 2nd or 3rd place when they make a list of the best footballers in the world. Messi is usually n°1, then either Iniesta or Ronaldo, then Xavi.

Also: I have no friggin' clue why Schweinsteiger is so highly rated. Watch his games people! Last year at Bayern he was mediocre. Klose was simply bad. Forlán deserves the award ten times more than the both of them
@ Anfieldhero: totally agree with Piqué and Cole missing on that list. I love Puyol, but he should've been nominated 2 and 3 years ago, when he was one of the -if not the- best central defenders in the world. Piqué this year was the best defensive player for Barça AND for Spain. Cole was brilliant for Chelsea despite his spell of injury
Anfieldhero (Liverpool) 4 years ago
@Ltm017 Iniesta had a great world cup but during the season he was injured most of the time and scored very little which unfortunately counts more than anything during the individual accolade. He is one of my favorite players and am sure he will up there next time as he is scoring a lot more this season than last year (not just the important ones)
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wesley Sneijder for Sure.
He was the man behind Inter's treble and Holland's second place finish in the Worldcup.

Had it not been a worldcup year Messi would be the one but now it has to be Sneijder. No doubt in that
Bluezombi (Barcelona) 4 years ago
1. Messi  2. Iniesta  3. Xavi  4. Sneijder  5. Forlan    Nobody else comes close to these players, in my opinion
Exactly the list I would have put forward Ronaldo might be in there somewhere too, as he's once again in superb form lately, but it's too soon to make him a serious contender
4 years ago
Here you go folks, I priced it up.

11/10
Wesley Sneijder
9/2
Xavi

5/1
Lionel Messi
13/2
Andres Iniesta

12/1
David Villa
12/1
Diego Forlan

20/1
Cristiano Ronaldo
40/1
Mesut Ozil

40/1
Thomas Muller
40/1
Iker Casillas

40/1
Samuel Eto'o
50/1
Bastian Schweinsteiger

50/1
Didier Drogba
50/1
Miroslav Klose

50/1
Cesc Fabregas
66/1
Xabi Alonso

66/1
Arjen Robben
66/1
Maicon

66/1
Carles Puyol
66/1
Asamoah Gyan

100/1
Julio Cesar
100/1
Dani Alves

100/1
Philipp Lahm

Julio Cesar 100/1.... WTF I knew he isn't likely to win it but those odds are just offensive to the guy
4 years ago
Ok then, 99/1
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I would like to see bastian shweinsteiger winning it, especially after the two goals he scored tonight v bremen, but no doubt if its not messi, it will be a spaniard, it has to be with the world cup etc;
Schweini only started playing really well during and after the WC. He was mediocre at Bayern last season - which is still the majority of games that should be rated
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 4 years ago
The whole world will vote for this. Does anyone knows what the weight of the media votes will be?

Of course, the more weight they have the more Sneijder will go up in the list.

See, most of the world are much more familiar with the World Cup than with the Champions League. Therefore I expect a Spanish player to win it. Whether deservedly or not that is a different topic
4 years ago
Does anyone actually remember the World Cup? It was dreadful, and Spain certainly didn't win any plaudits outside of their own country for the way they played.

If they had won the World Cup playing flowing, expansive football, then of course, a Spanish player would be hot favourite to win the award. But they didn't. They were dull to watch, stifled games, threw themselves around and bored the neutral viewer to death.

This award is voted for by journalists, coaches and technical experts. Spain certainly didn't show themselves in a great light to any of these groups
Ltm017 4 years ago
Who said you had to look pretty winning.... As long as you win right?    And that Iniesta goal sure was pretty
4 years ago
You don't need to play pretty football to win tournaments, but to be awarded player of the year, you need to stand out. I'm just pointing out that journalists in particular will be looking at players that have shone for their team, both in the world cup and domestically.

I am not, for one second suggesting the other players mentioned arent world class, brilliant players, its just that the criteria for selection, for me, points to only one winner. But that's whats great about our game.... We all have different opinions!
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
This the first year this award does not have a British player in the shortlist (including the name change). Also only 3 players from the Premiership and one of them is Gyan! Who is memorable for missing a penalty in the last kick of the game against Uruguay and then scoring a penalty with his next kick.

It does seem to me that the shorlist has a short memory back to the summer only
I'm baffled!  No Milito in the list? The man was the spearhead for Inter's treble.  T. Are. E. Be. L. E
Milito, Rooney and Higuain all missing
4 years ago
The fact that Milito isn't on the list just makes the case for Sneijder even stronger
Sam (Footytube Staff) 3 years ago
Absolute travesty that Milito is not on the list!

Kick4Life - changing lives through football