Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
FC Barcelona - The Rigors Of Being The Best Football Club In The World
Franky4fingers (Barcelona) 2 years ago
After all the allegations from disgruntled Milan fans joined in by others accusing preferential treatment by referees for Barca, I decided to take a look at some of the high profile games Barcelona has played in the last 4-5 years. There have been games where Barcelona got lucky with referee decisions but as a Barca fan, who watches almost every game they play, it is surprising for someone like me to hear Barcelona is the ONLY team getting favorable calls. We, as Barca fans feel that it takes a giant effort to award Barcelona a penalty, at least in La Liga. I went through games that Barcelona played against big clubs like Milan, Madrid, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United to get an idea of how many times Barcelona was at the receiving end of tough treatment by the referees. Here are some of the instances with clips to prove my point. Mind you there might be many more cases similar to these because Barcelona plays in 6 trophies per season, I've picked just a few off the top of my head.

2011-2012 Season:

1) UCL - 2011-12 – AC Milan Vs Barcelona 1st Leg: 16th min. Alexis Sanchez brought down by Abbiati for what commentators claimed was a stone walled penalty.

Link: rutube.ru/tracks/5477826.html

2) UCL - 2011-12 – AC Milan Vs Barcelona 1st Leg: 77th min. Xavi takes a corner. Puyol heads the ball with Mesbah clinging on and dragging him down with the referee 10ft away. No Penalty.

3) UCL - 2011-12 – AC Milan vs Barcelona 1st Leg: 87th min. Messi finds himself wide open at the back and darts straight for the goal. Mesbah and Antonini find themselves behind him. They both go straight for Messi and bring him down without attempting to get the ball. No Penalty or foul.

4) CDL - 2011-12 – Barcelona vs Real Madrid: 45th min. Lassanna Diarra, running on 1st yellow, slams into Messi on the left wing. No 2nd yellow.

5) Spanish Super Cup – Barcelona vs Real Madrid - 2 legs. Multiple fouls by Madrid players including studs up tackles to the head, tackles from behind, which are usually straight reds not punished. Final game ends acrimoniously with Marcelo’s now infamous scissor chop on Cesc which led to red cards for Marcelo, Ozil and Villa. The game also is infamous for Mourinho’s eye poke.

2010-2011 Season:

6) UCL Final – Barcelona vs Man Utd: Barcelona won this game is resounding fashion, which dwarfed a small detail. United’s goal scored by Rooney was off a pass from Giggs who was offside. Small detail but big consequence considering that goal leveled the game at 1-1

7) UCL Semi-finals – Barcelona vs Madrid: This two legged tie has become one of the most talked about El Clasicos in the past year because of all the controversy around Pepe’s sending off. Pepe’s main task was to unsettle Barcelona’s core midfielders. He received warning from the ref for an earlier tackle on Messi and when he finally went in studs up to tackle Alves, he got his marching orders. There are multiple analyses from Madrid showing Pepe didn’t make contact with Alves’ leg so it wasn’t a red card offence. It should be noted that a studs up tackle qualifies for dismissal regardless of whether you make contact or not. The “endangering the safety of an opponent” clause kicks in for tackles with studs showing. According to FIFA laws for Serious foul play:

“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

It is up to the referee to determine whether the foul was excessive or not. To frame this in proper context, Vincent Kompany was recently sent off vs United in the FA cup. Kompany lunged at Nani got the ball but missed Nani completely. The referee handed him a red card. Many criticized the decision as unjust but rules are rules.

Link: www.soccer-blogger.com/2012/01/08/video-vincent-ko...

Another example is Scholes’ tackle on Zabaleta. Both players went in studs up. Zabaleta found the ball earlier and Scholes planted his foot into Zabalet’s thigh for a red card.

This is Pepe’s tackle:

Pepe got the ball while Alves’ leg bounced off the ball. Pepe could have easily broken Alves’ leg if he had made contact. A player with Pepe’s pedigree is always under the referee’s radar for bad behavior especially when his record shows this:

While this was going on, nobody took notice of Marcelo’s stamp on Pedro’s shin.

See Marcelo’s reaction at 4:36 looking at the official at the corner flag insinuating that Pedro was feigning injury while he stamps Pedro’s shin. Mind you the 4th official is right next to the goal but he completely misses it. Even the Spanish FA did not do anything about it because the referee didn't include the incident in his match report.

Adebayor also somehow managed to finish the game with one yellow card in spite of multiple offences that were red card worthy. This is what Adebayor said after this game, "Football is a man's game but whenever you play against Barca, whenever you touch them, they are on the floor crying like a baby.” Yes, Ade. Football is a man’s game but the idea of the game is to avoid “touching” opponents.

Watch Adebayor at 0:36, 0:44, 0:49,

8) Real Madrid vs Barcelona – CDR Final: 1st half: Arbeloa deliberately stamps on Villa’s leg and gets away with it. Pepe stamps on Messi’s ankle, no card.

68th min: Pedro goal disallowed. Offside was 50-50 but decision went against Barcelona

9) UCL Qtr Finals: Arsenal vs Barcelona:

37th: Messi goal ruled offside. Messi was clearly behind Pedro when the 1st shot was made.

10) La Liga – Real Madrid vs Barcelona: David Villa gets fouled by Casillas for a clear penalty which was denied.

Check: 5:04 in the video below

2009-2010 season

11) UCL – Inter Vs Barca: Milito’s 3rd goal from an offside position.

12) UCL – Barca vs Inter – Bojan scores 2nd goal in added time which would have sent Barcelona through disallowed because referee thought Yahya Toure handled the ball. Replays showed ball bounced off Toure’s chest.

2008-2009 Season

13) UCL – Semifinals – Barcelona vs Chelsea 0-0- Henry receives a pass from Eto’ and Bosingwa pulls him down for a clear penalty. Not given

14) UCL – Semifinal – Chelsea vs Barcelona 1-1: This is considered the worst officiated Champions League game by many including Barcelona supporters. Barcelona got many lucky calls, including 2 clear penalty shouts and at least 2 more 50-50 shouts which started the baseless tirade against Barca that UEFA, favors them. Funnily enough, Eric Abidal was sent off in the 65th minute for Anelka tripping on his own.

What should be noted is that Chelsea faced Benfica in the away leg of UCL quarterfinals in 2012. John Terry handled the ball in the penalty box. The referee turned down penalty shouts as a ball-to-hand incident. Terry clearly moves his hand towards the ball in an attempt to stop it. Let’s compare that incident with Pique’s handball at Stamford Bridge in 2009 who does exactly the same thing and should have been a penalty.

John Terry: Link: www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/john-terrys-handball...

Pique handball:
In this video the disgruntled Chelsea fan has gone to great extents posting fabricated quotes and implanting Barcelona crest on Platini's jacket and insinuating the UEFA doesn’t like English clubs even though United/Chelsea/Arsenal have all been to the UCL finals in the last 6 years.

While we speak about Chelsea, how about Manchester United vs Chelsea in the EPL which ended in 3-3 with United roaring back in the 2nd half through 2 penalties. For the 1st penalty, Evra just blocked Sturridge for a soft hit and went down as soon as there was contact. For the 2nd penalty, Welbeck stretched his leg out to try to get touched by Ivanovic and went down in a hurry.

In both of these cases (Benfica vs Chelsea or Chelsea vs United) if it was Barcelona getting lucky with referees mistakes, we would hear conspiracy theories linking them to UEFA.

Barcelona is accused of diving by Madrid, Chelsea, United, Milan. Here’s a taste of what these teams do:

Di Maria

Ronaldo special. This one is quite funny especially for such a talented footballer.

Pepe

Drogba

Torres, Pedro (blocked by Arbeloa), Busquets, Mascherano, Zanetti, Ronaldo, Iniesta,

I guess I made my point with diving.

These are only a few instances from the high profile games that Barcelona won or barely lost because of “help” (as Barca detractors like you say) from the referee. I listed 14 instances where Barcelona didn’t get a favorable decision and couple of cases where other high profile clubs received favorable treatment. Within these instances, there were multiple fouls especially by Mourinho led Galacticos II side when Pepe, Ramos, Carvalho, Xabi, Diarra, Khedira, Marceloa were openly guilty of rough tackling worthy of sending off. I haven’t included many group games in UCL where Barcelona didn’t receive decisions, which would have given them the edge.

The point of this exercise isn’t to suggest that Barcelona don’t tackle hard or other teams don’t get bad decisions. They all do. Barcelona has its own bad play-acting led by their veteran thespian, Sergio Busquets and recently joined by Sanchez. The problem arises when Barcelona’s favorable decisions are analyzed and wrongly judged as preferential treatment. The fact is the current Barcelona side has been in the limelight for the past 5 years and is being touted as one of the greatest football sides to ever grace the game (if not the greatest), which leads people to expect infallibility from them. Everything Barcelona does is scrutinized under a microscope.

Barcelona is expected to demolish every side failing which the performance is regarded as below par. When other sides gain undue advantage due to referee mistakes, Barcelona are supposed to take it in their stride because they are the best and because of the same reason they should never receive any favorable decisions due to referee errors. An example of this mentality was on display after the UCL quarterfinal game at Camp Nou, when Ibrahimovic in his post match interview said, “They don't need to be given favours. We're talking about the best team in the world…” It should be noted that Barcelona had at least 3 tough decisions in the first leg at San Siro with at least one clear penalty for Sanchez. Does Mr Ibrahimovic think Barcelona’s opponents should be given favors because they are the underdogs? It is quite understandable that everybody including Barcelona gets frustrated at bad decisions but when people like Ibrahimovic and Mourinho come out and say irresponsible things such as UEFA favors Barcelona, it becomes a political show rather than sportsmanship. Mourinho’s ill advised rants has created so much tension in Spain that fans of both Madrid and Barcelona fans are in danger of being attacked by each other’s supporters.

None of these ill conceived attacks designed to malign Barcelona’s achievements make a difference to Barcelona. They have achieved glory that few clubs before them have achieved. The current team may lose their stars through injury, transfers, retirement but Barcelona FC will always be one of the finest clubs in the world. La Masia continues to churn out the best talent in the world that has catapulted Spain to the summit. Barcelona FC is here to stay, whether you like it or not. And it will always be, “Mes que un club!”
Alexinho (AC Milan) 2 years ago
If this article is to highlight that it is more than 1 side of things and you aren't necessary always in the receiving end then I can agree with that. But if this is about how Barcelona got as many if not more controversial against them than Milan this season and I am a blinded fan for thinking so then I have to say I will disagree strongly.

I will not discuss the other matches but if you are interested in what I mean by this, tell me so and I could go deeper in it
I don't quite understand what you wrote. I wrote the article to show (as pointed above) that Barcelona has received some terrible decisions in the past. Feel free to post what you want to post. I just feel that the last match at Camp Nou vs Milan has been turned into a fiasco with claims that Barcelona won because of the penalty. Barcelona dominated Milan throughout the two legs. Barca's finishing was below par but for some reason, hanging by a thread in a game against Barcelona is being considered an achievement these days thereby negating the massive difference in performance between the two sides
I expect some passionate debate about this topic. Please try to maintain civil discourse
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Franky, this is what I had in mind when I read the million-and-one comments about how we've had about 4 major calls going our way over the past 3. 5 years with Pep. We've been accused of having the refs on our side so often that it's stopped me from writing this sort of well-written article myself. If people cannot see that every team gets a major call their way every now and then (much more often than once a year too), then there seems to be no point in arguing with them.

It's just that Barcelona seemingly makes the most of it, because the team was probably going to win anyway. And when they do, people start looking at the ref's dubious call and blame it on him. The only time I really thought that throughout the match a referee was incredibly bad for the opposition, was the 2009 Chelsea game. And even then Abidal was unjustly given a red card. And we could have said the same about the first leg, where we were denied two clear penalties, a game that should've ended 3-0 before the Chelsea-Barça game had even started. That said, I still understand Chelsea fury, because Ovrebo was a blind mole for not noticing two stonewall penalties for them.

Thanks for writing this, this is truly well written, and it can serve as a reference for people who can not stop whining every game we win, even if it is clear we were by far better. Mourinho, cry us a river
Someone asked me a question earlier why other big teams don't have as many controversial matches? The fact is if a team plays more games at the highest level it is more likely that team would be involved in more controversies. UCL knockout games are filled with excitement and passion which puts a lot of pressure on referees. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Barcelona has been at the summit fighting it out with every top club out there for the trophy. Chelsea, United, Inter, Milan, Madrid have all had their funny games but because they haven't consistently been at the top (while Barca has) their controversies fade away from people's memory
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I can repeat every word Jeroen said. Well done. Thanks for taking the enormous amount of time to write this. Sadly there aren't going to be many people who are going to bother to read this and would prefer to remain ignorant about everything you just said
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
Hey hey, I did just what you wrote there, Barcashow. Lol. I only skimmed through the whole thing, but I did watched the Ronaldo dive manual though. Hilarious stuff Franky
Blazzedlord (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Man all of what you just posted happens to every club but the thing is one single club doens't get the decisions that barca get if you know what I mean, I can dig up every teams history and find things like what you posted happened to them meh idk if you understand what I mean but ya
Are you for real? I just explained how Barcelona gets both good and bad refereeing decisions and you go back to the same nonsense that Barcelona gets more favorable decisions. Can you please highlight which decisions have gone Barca's way and compare them with my list? If I dig up more, I can find more favorable decisions for other top clubs. The point that you're missing here is Barcelona has been the one consistent club in top flight competition for the past 5-6 years and hence, is visible for people to scrutinize. In addition to that they carry the title of the best team on earth which places them further under a microscope.

Since 2006 Barcelona has the following record:
Champions in '06, '09, '11. SF - in '08, '10, '12. R16 - '07

Madrid:
R16 - 06-'10, SF- '11, '12

Utd:
06', '12 - Eliminated at Group stage, '07- SF, '08 - Champs, '09, '10 - Runners up

For the rest of the teams, Milan skipped tournament in '08 after winning in '06 and going out in R16; Chelsea had 3 SFs, one Final, 1 R16 and 1 QF. Inter has done little before and after their win in '10.

The fact is Barcelona has received negative publicity largely because of the Chelsea game and Mourinho's tirade after losing to Barcelona. Apart from the Chelsea game, all other games have been fairly normal with the same type of poor referring that you see elsewhere. As I proved above, Barcelona has received bad decisions as much as (if not more) favorable decisions. The statistics and numbers don't hold up your hypothesis. Please feel free to prove me wrong
Well this was to be expected. People who like to believe the lies they use as foundation for their opinions will avoid the truth. It's been like this since the dawn of time. The Flat Earth Society
Ayanhein (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Well written
Aliko (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Thank you Franky4fingers!
Malik (Barcelona) 2 years ago
@Franky4fingers, thanks for writing this well written article with more then enough evidence to prove your point.

But I am sure that hatters won't even get a single word from it even if they bother to read this article, as certainly most of us (cules) had already point out the same examples (in separate part), which prove of no use in the end.

As expected you got more rude votes then cool votes
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
First of all, I think I can tell you feel very strongly about this lol. I think you're right overall, Barcelona are the victims of many cases. But this happens at all clubs, you feel robbed one week then get a lucky break the next week. I'm sure I can find many videos where Barcelona got penalties or decisions that went in their favor, just as I can with about any club that I can think of.

I do disagree with you that the other clubs bad decisions get pushed under the radar, just because, well, you're Barcelona. Do you know how many complaints and conspiracy theories I have to listen to every time Man Utd get a decision in our favor at Old Trafford? But of course nobody talks about the penalties that went against us (hint: Newcastle's 1-1 draw this season).

You're right though, nobody in their right mind should be saying Uefa's biased for Barcelona. It's just plain stupid.

As for the diving, it's disgraceful, particularly Madrid's antics against you last year. But I would say Barcelona were just as much at fault.

I know that United has to face similar allegations. But I do think that in the current football environment it is acceptable for fans if anybody facing Barca gets good calls because they're the underdogs.

I was speaking to a friend of mine who is a FIFA referee in the US. He believes that as referees you subconsciously want to officiate a balanced match even if you are trying your best to be fair to both teams. When teams like Barcelona dominate opponents ruthlessly it makes referees avoid giving penalties and make it easier for Barca to kill their opponents. We, as Barca supporters see it all the time. How much abuse does Messi have to take before someone gets sent off for trying to injure him?

I agree that some Barcelona players dive and indulge in play-acting. But one should notice that it starts when the other team starts playing rough. The fact is most clubs have realized that the only way you can beat Barca is by unsettling them and they're not shy of fouling Barcelona. Fouls stop the game, shake up Barca players and interrupt their rhythm. Tiki-taka doesn't work in spurts. To counter this, Barca players flop so their opponents get cautioned and can't rough them up anymore. Barca dives the most playing Mourinho's Madrid. I don't think diving is right but what do you do? As we have seen in the past, the ref is not going to send 5 Madrid players off
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Well if he does send 5 players off there won't be a game lol, I believe the official Fifa rule says if you get more than 4 red cards the other team must forfeit.

I think that Barcelona may get a better end of the deal if they dive less in those types of situations. More people will be on your side, and see that you're the victims. Instead your getting a reaction like "Spanish football is stupid".

Just saying, two wrongs doesn't make a right

There are certain players in world football who will dive no matter what the situation is. For example Sanchez is a diver. Busquets is a flopper. Similarly CR7 is a diver/flopper while Messi is not. He goes on and on even when he's tripped. Platini said refs should do more to protect players and it is applicable for Messi. I am aware that less that 8 players makes a an automatic forfeit. But just to keep a game going, is the ref allowed to ignore thuggish behavior just so the game doesn't get too lop sided?
Pragathish (AC Milan) 2 years ago
First of all, I have to agree, had we chalked off those controversial goals, Barcelona would still have qualified and totally were the better team. I'm still impressed by the way the team presses and gets back the ball- almost unreal and mechanical.

But for the love of God, please play like men. (looking at Busquets, Alves, Xavi, etc)
With players like that, you're only tarnishing your image. Sacchi's or Capello's Milan (or anyother top team for that matter) never played like this
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Good on you for documenting this so thorougly.
Personally I just find these conspiracy theories utterly ridiculous. I have probably watched 75% of Barca's matches during the past twenty years. True football fans should look up to this club instead of jealous smear campaigns like what's going on now
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I am sure that every team have their ups and downs with the referees.

The match between Barcelona vs Chelsea a few years ago when Chelsea should had gotten a handball at the end, I will not say that the Referee sided with Barcelona or that Barcelona paid him. I will say that the referee was wrong to not had given that pk. Chelsea has gotten a few calls for them and a few calls against them/for the other team. I am sure Barcelona is the same and same for Real Madrid, Arsenal, and every club out there.

The Pepe and Alves incident.... If I was the referee, I would had thought that Pepe got Alves and given Pepe a red card too. The argument here is that Alves shouldn't had acted like how he did. And of course, I did not like how Pepe went for that challenge.

Some people say that Referees favor Barcelona and Barcelona players are great actors and divers.... It can be said about every team. I admit it, Chelsea players dive (One of my favorite player Drogba against Napoli) and there are times when Chelsea get some calls favoring them (not saying the Ref favors them).

I think Chelsea should have got the Pique handball more than the last shot by Ballack
Check out this game between Real Betis and Madrid.

Watch the game in the 63rd min and the 90th min.

Arbeloa clearly handles the ball, the referee is right there watching. Then Ramos blocks the shot with his arm stretched out. The ball ricochets off his body onto his arm. Let's get our pitchforks out and make a silly connection between Madrid and the Spanish FA
SIMPLYGODS 2 years ago
Well done, I can see you did your research and put a lot of time into this. Sadly any team that is doing good will always have its haters and trolls and those who can't stand for them to win another game and in turn when they do, they make some of the most outrageous comments and say some of the dumbest things just to stir things up because they can't stand the fact that Barca is doing so well and achieving so much. Haters gonna' hate and their isn't much you can do about it, we can try to prove things all we want but in return they see what they want to see and close their eyes to the truth staring straight back at them =/ If people would open their eyes and open their minds and enjoy footy for footy they wouldn't go bitching and moaning but actually have intelligent things to say but hell hasn't frozen over yet so I guess that'll never happen haha. You'll get you're true footy fans and you'll get your lousy good for nothing idiots who cry and complain and hate and troll just because they can't bare for a team they hate so much to win =/ anyways everybody should enjoy footy, keep your minds open and enjoy it, their will always be controversy but its up to you to determine fact from fiction
You'll be surprised it took me only an hour to put all of this together. One might think it is a lot of time for a Barcelona fan, it is worthy of peace of mind. As a Barca fan, I kind of remember most of the important games Barca has played at least in the recent past. So when I hear people complain about preferential treatment, my memory of these games annoys the hell out of me. Fans of other clubs don't watch ALL Barcelona games. So when their team gets bad decisions vs Barca they automatically assume, that's how Barcelona rolls in general. Its just disingenuous!
I hope I'm not instigating another pointless flame war, but I find it a bit amusing that the many Chelsea fans who keep accusing us of being lucky with the ref (if they don't go as far as call us cheaters or even accuse us of bribery) have now been extremely lucky with the ref two games in a row. The two clear off-side goals they just scored against Wigan, the laughable sending off of Maxi Pereira in the Benfica game and several other controversial decisions in that Chelsea-Benfica game.

No offense to Chelsea fans though, but in my opinion the main reason why Barcelona gets criticised a lot for having a couple decisions going their way, is because they usually win the competitions they're in. Afterwards people are always quick to point out things like that. People always use double standards when judging something that stirs up emotions inside of them.

If Chelsea would've won the UCL of 2009, people would now be talking about the Barcelona-Chelsea game instead, and how Henry had two very clear PKs denied, how Abidal was sent off for nothing in the second leg etc. If Chelsea would be genuine BPL contenders now, there would be a HUGE fuss about the two off-side goals that would last forever if Chelsea would win the BPL in the end.

And because Barcelona plays possession football, many more fouls are committed on our team than vice versa, so dubious decisions will go our way more often than not. Although the many unseen PKs or bad off-side calls are a bitch. Briefly: Barcelona has decisions of refs going their way occasionally, like all teams (even less than most big teams IMO), and because they win a lot, these little bits of luck are enlarged to big proportions
Pragathish (AC Milan) 2 years ago
People don't hate or dislike Barca because they win. IMO the hatred is due to some players who are in the roster who'd make Cristiano blush. Kick them out or fix them good, the team'll be clean as a whistle
Real fans who understand and have actually played competitively know that bad decisions are a part of the game. I think its more psychological than anything else wanting to find a reason for why Barca performs so much better than the most expensive teams on earth. Its because they pay the refs, they flop, they cheat, UEFA wants them to win, they take steroids! The list is endless
Real fans who understand and have actually played competitively know that bad decisions are a part of the game. I think its more psychological than anything else wanting to find a reason for why Barca performs so much better than the most expensive teams on earth. Its because they pay the refs, they flop, they cheat, UEFA wants them to win, they take steroids! The list is endless
I want to respond to the UEFA allegations. In theory UEFA makes more money if bigger teams go through to the big stages. The prize money that teams receive is based on their market reach. So for winning the 2011 UCL, Barcelona made 51m euros while United made 53m even though it lost. You get paid money for reaching certain rounds and the prize money keeps increasing. Nobody wants to see a Benfica vs Barca final except for Benfica fans.

EPL has a bigger market reach than La Liga. On the other hand, United, Madrid and Barca have the largest audience worldwide. The best money scenario is a Madrid vs United final. Chelsea vs United was great for TV ratings too since its an EPL rivalry. Barca vs Madrid would be a bonanza for ad revenues because they will market it is Armageddon.

So while it would be massively more profitable if the big teams won and proceeded to the final rounds, UEFA cannot and will not indulge in match fixing. Its like killing the hen which lays golden eggs. There's too much at stake to lose if UEFA as an organization starts fixing matches

Kick4Life - changing lives through football