Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
FAN OPINION : England V Ukraine To Be Broadcast Online
Andy (Rangers) 5 years ago
Last week, it emerged that in the past 6 months, advertisers in the UK spent more on online advertising than on TV.

This followed stories of media ‘mogul’ Rupert Murdoch’s intention to charge for online news content through NewsCorp and FIVE’s new iPhone application offering Europa League content for a one-off fee of £3.99.

It then seems fitting that this morning, it was announced that England’s next World Cup fixture, away to Ukraine, will be available online, and online only for a substantial fee.

This means no terrestrial broadcast and no fans packed willingly into pubs to watch the beautiful game.

One of doomed broadcaster, Setanta’s, headlining features last year was the tempting prospect of watching all of England’s away games for subscribers to the network. The rights for these matches were provided by Kentaro, an international agency appointed by the Ukranian FA to dispense Ukranian home matches to the highest overseas domestic bidder.

After Setanta went into administration in June, ITV have provided these away games free of charge due to a clause in their home fixtures contract. No UK sports networks coughed up enough money for the rights and so, digital sports provider, Perform, was appointed by Kentaro to stream the game online and in selected Odeon cinemas.

You are expected to Pay £4.99 if you sign up before midnight on Wednesday, £9.99 if you sign up on Thursday or Friday and an outrageous £11.99 if you hurriedly sign up on match day.

Perform are a leading digital sports provider and streamed UEFA Cup content featuring Spurs and City last season for a comparatively low fee of £3.00 per game and so the quality of the stream is in no doubt but ethics are up for debate.

The question then stands, are Kentaro/Perform well within their rights to charge for the fixture?
Or does this move act as a manifestation of the overwhelmingly commercial nature of football and governments unwillingness to help?

If you live in the UK, will you be paying for the match? Or would you if your country was featuring?

As you’d probably expect from the tone of the post, I will be boycotting the match and discouraging fans to give in to the ludicrous demands of Perform.

Justification will lie in a tagline of ’advancing technology’ but this merely shrouds the issue of increasingly obscene profits. If this feature proves popular and generates mass revenue then it will undoubtedly set a precedent for the future of football broadcasts which is a depressing prospect to say the least.

This is my own personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of the footytube group
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
Good for you. I hope the boycott works
Yogan (Chelsea) 5 years ago
£3. 99? What are they thinking? Advertising is not the point. It si the shows that count. Who would pay to watch it online on a smaller screen. I don't believe it. I'm not paying. Definitely not. I'm going to show them that even England's most beloved fans will not pay an extra four quid just to see the match on a computer screen. It is disgraceful. They certainly can't just change to this. It has to be one off. They can't do it all the time. Oh dear me. I jut don't know what to say
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
I posted this in another thread but it is better suited here so i'll just copy/paste it here.

I think it is bs that this game is not being shown on TV in England. The English people are getting robbed by the greedy Ukrainian FA. They sold the rights to the game to the highest bidder, an internet site instead of a TV network. Instead of the game being watched by tens of millions of people, it will be viewed by thousands. This could not be good for the beautiful game. Its a world cup qualifier and the English people can't watch it on the telly. Utter disgrace. FIFA should make it mandatory for rights to be given to a TV network so that people can watch their country play
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
This is absolutely disgusting and takes football away from the people, for the profit of millionaires. National football has the ability to unite a country for a short period - a very rare thing these days.

I can understand football from domestic leagues being charged for, as the fanbase is specific to certain clubs and they can use the cash to buy players etc, but national games should be just that - for the nation. Free and available to anyone with a television.

A similar thing happened back in Ireland a while ago and there was absolute outrage. Sky sports bought the rights to all Ireland games (if I remember correctly) and it meant you had to either go to a pub or buy a sky box, satellite, subscription and the sky sports package to keep watching the team you had been watching since childhood. Eventually a ruling was brought in that all International matches were to be broadcast free on the national channel RTE (the equivalent of the 'bbc').

I would hope that the English people have a similar reaction to this stupid pay per view web-based system and boot it out sooner rather than later, or you'll be watching the world cup on a PC monitor, paying per match. I've nothing against the technology change, just the cost.

Anyway, that's my opinion
Seantoon (Newcastle United) 5 years ago
This happend to Japan against one of the middle east teams (sorry, I forgot!) during one of our world cup qualifiers this year!
Although it was due to different circumstances (the middle east company owning the right to the game was asking for too much money, meaning that none of the Japanese tv stations were willing to pay that money....), but not having a National game on in your home country these days is unacceptable!
SexyAmyMUFC (Manchester United) 5 years ago
I want to urge everyone in England not to pay for this. Without much effort, you can find it online for free anyway.

National football should be free for everyone in that country to watch
Rayrulesohye (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Agreed Amy everyone should watch it for free, its easy to watch 4 free!
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
The more they do this the more people result to watching it illegally. Its the same debate with rising film prices. They see more pirates, they raise the prices. More people become pirates from the raised prices. Vicious cycle. Cable costs 100 bucks a month here as it is, then they always want more for specialty channels, and special games which are broadcast only on pay per view. Very frustrating. Its near impossible to find a pub here showing a game as well, as they have to pay thousands of dollars to get a license to show a game in their pub
Thefc3 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Guys come on !
All of you that want to see the game just make a not to meet in a bar or a pub [ for all the great Britain guys) and make a deal with the owner that he will buy the game and you will watch it over there and buy the drinks ! Its a win win situation !
Watch the game and meet the fans !
JR
Riggs (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Here in canada no bar owner will fork over the thousand dollars it costs to broadcast it. To watch it at home is 25$. That's what we ended up doing. This was england vs croatia
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
I'm all for enjoying the atmosphere in pubs for games you're not really bothered about or for big games that you simply can't attend, such as England games. But I just wonder how it's going to affect the licensees if it's online only? Surely they will be losing out big time if they can't get the feed to work properly or if they just don't bother booking the game?

Either way, I am not in favour of this kind of thing. Football needs to be as accessible to everybody as it possibly can. My Grandad is 71 and he certainly won't fancy messing about with the computer in order to watch it live. I know he's not a great example disply but I'm sure there are many, many more people out there younger than him that are just as afraid of their computers! I think a lot of people will just steer clear and this will be one of the very few occasions that we're insulted like this
An impression of what watching the game might be like:

Please WAIT...Buffering 2%
Salt (Aston Villa) 5 years ago
My thoughts exactly. Especially here in New Zealand with the Carrier Pigeon speed broadband
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
Haha Yes you pictured it perfectly. Now, I think Broadcasting games online is a good idea especially for people who don't have access to regular TV or what ever, It'll be good when the technology gets better You have your PC screen on your wall super internet speed and such.
But The way they are doing it "now" is just terrible would be slow video as you depicted, but most of all charging £3. 99 per game is disgusting, and not to mention the only purpose they're doing this for.

If it's gonna' be online Make it a free flowing system, so it's like just putting a TV in your monitor, none of this pay per view stuff. Keep it consistent so they don't decide to suddenly cut that match. They would have complete control
Jman008 (Manchester United) 5 years ago
You pay so much money to buy an HD TV or a Plasma TV and they want us to watch a game online where we already payed money for cable and they want us to pay extra to watch a game. This is seriously messed up and I hope they do not make a habit of this because then there will be no point of even owning a television
Pocketg99 (Arsenal) 5 years ago
Hmm, well I watch most of my games online anyway. I'm certainly not paying
On3two (Manchester United) 5 years ago
There are a million sites that you can watch it online for free (legal or not) but I hope they see a big fall in the amount of people who are going to pay for it and have a low turn out then realise that it is a bad idea. It makes no sense at all to pay more money to those fees we already pay towards (internet, tv, etc.) and watch it on a smaller screen where not everyones quality is guaranteed to work well
Imagine now having paid for that mess of a game

Kick4Life - changing lives through football