Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Fabregas Rejects New Arsenal Contract
SirStig (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I saw this a couple of days ago and was shocked. If Fabregas really does leave, Arsenal is in shambles. There's almost no way Wenger can replace him during the summer. Ramsey is good, but no where near Fabregas' level right now. But I think Fabregas is under contract til 2014 or something like that, so I don't see him going so soon. I think he can still develop at Arsenal and under Wenger. He doesn't fit in Barcelona's system right now anyways or rather he might not start right away in my opinion. Besides he's Arsenal's captain, that will probably prevent him from leaving
CHELSEA61 (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Barca quietly made a deal with Wenger last summer for Cesc respectfully willing to wait until he wanted to leave. The deal was for 45 million pounds and it all rested on whether Cesc wanted to go. He said he would leave if Arsenal don't win anything this year. They're still in the Champions League and are now a very long shot to win the EPL so its looking more and more like the Gunners will yet again sell their best player over building a winning team
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Interesting, but do you have any evidence of this agreement? I'm genuinely curious
ScooterHayes (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I think it's best if he did leave for Barca for his sake, but for the Gunners it'd be horrible. But I propose a trade, if you will. One Henry and one Xavi for one Fabregas.... With maybe some cash on either end. But The numbers could be close.... Fabregas on form, and aging Henry and Xavi.... Both teams could be the better for a swap like that.

But I think Cesc's the reason Arsenal looks the way it does. All the power is in the midfield. They have nobody up front, and when they do they have to outshine Cesc, or they never see the ball. With Van Persie in form and another striker, they would be as formidable as any team in England, even without Fabregas. He is the team right now, but he isn't enough...
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I think separating Xavi and Iniesta would be a huge and costly mistake. Plus Xavi needs to retire in Barca. I could trade Henry for Fabregas no problem
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Subterfuge on Barca's part. Most likely to quell all of the blogging going on about his leaving Arsenal. Also because the season isn't over and Barca want Cesc to leave happy that he gave everything he had for the Gunners
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I really don't trust these statements
It's hard to believe.

Besides.... When you "talk" to Barca, you could be talking to the manager, or another player, or texting somebody you knew in the academy. It has to be official contact from the top of the club for it to have even happened in their eyes. So Fabregas may have already nailed down his salary with them. I don't trust it either
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
If Cesc really thinks it through he is probably better served to stay at Arsenal at least for now. No way he moves either Xavi or Iniesta from their starting roles. Someone suggested he might replace Henry no way he is not a winger or striker he is in the same mold as Xavi so that would make no sense. He and Arsenal are better served if he stays for at least another two years while Wenger rebuilds and he also increases his own value. I truely belive Cesc will eventually end up back at home in Barcelona but now is not the right time for any of the involved parties
Cesc's value is already astronomical. But I agree, him and Xavi are too similiar for Barca to justify the expense, and Arsenal still needs him badly
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Agreed. Xavi is still in his prime. If we were having this conversation in 2012, things would be different...
[account-removed] 4 years ago
@Shel: That is exactly what I was thinking. I really don't see him coming to Barca, especially with Xavi still being so good. I don't particularly want him back in Barca, but a lot of people and managers do want him back and this might be the only chance. We shall see. But we do need a back up for Xavi since he can't play in every game of the season
Derby22 (Derby County) 4 years ago
Oh dear! Fancy turning down a weekly wage of £127, 000! Is he stupid? Lol
Stevie2010 4 years ago
He will get £150, 000+ at either Barca or Real and pay less tax and have the sun most days, he should go, my money is on him going to Real Madrid
Soundslikefail (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Until it's on the Arsenal website, it's a lie. Simple
Yombe10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Well, I think it's inevitable isn't it? He's a fantastic player who's hungry for glory. Perhaps if Arsenal wins some silver this year he'll stay, otherwise I can't see any reason for him to stay. Or sure that's loyalty to the club, but c'mon, he's been there since 16. He's given enough to the club and it's about time they give back in the form of silverware. A player of his magnitude deserves nothing less
Vika09 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
It will be a sad thing to see Fabregas leave the Premier League, I won't consider myself a neutral, I have favouritisms towards Aresenal and Manchester United; for different reasons.

But I have always been a fan of Fabregas; he is the epitome of a solid midfield player. Consistent, lead by example, calm; yet his efforts always been unsatisfied. A player of his calibre, loyalty and ability really needs to be rewarded with silverware. It's something he just isn't able to achieve. Barca may be able to satisfy is desires.

At a great cost, the current Barca team has no place for Fabregas; they already have an excellent midfield.

On a selfish point, I want him to stay, I always enjoy his performances (I don't watch anything but EPL or Champions league; time issues), but for the sake of winning something, I guess Cesc should move
Bloodbrothers (Barcelona) 4 years ago
I'm not liking how barca is habdling the market the are becoming madrid #2 without turning players to s**t. They are spending to much for players when they could be trusting more than they do with barca atletic,

I'm not saying they don't trust barca atletic but there is no need to spend 50 million with fabregas when we need a new LW(I don't like pedro as a starter he is more of a threat coming of the bench)
CanonsofArsene (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I can assure you that financial limitations is not one of the problems Arsenal are facing. They are a highly profitable club - top three in the world. But they do have an issue about players demanding extraordinary sums.... Football is a team game, one individual cannot be given more privileges. As for the rejection of the contract, I completely refute the source, especially with the recent statements by Barcelona saying that they have not moved in with any offers whatsoever. In the distant future maybe, but no one can tell, not even Cesc.... But after performing with such commitment and finishing off Arsenal's remarkable come back against Barcelona on Wednesday, I think we should have no doubts as to where his allegiances lie.... Gunner for ever!
Ellada10 (Olympiakos Piraeus) 4 years ago
Maybe fabregas wants to go back to spain and live there for a while to get out of england and maybe go back for his last years
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
He woudn't choose Real because his home is in Barcelona and there is where he's aimingfor the rest of hi career
Ultraluva (Arsenal) 4 years ago
HangTime (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing fabregas going to barca. B/c if he stays, I think arsenal could be the team to beat.
Other than that, let him go if he wants to go. Make barca pay as much as possible for him and use that money to be like 2 good players.
Another thing, arsenal will never be a top top club if they keep selling their best players to barca- strengthening barca to become the top club

Kick4Life - changing lives through football