Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Fabregas Rejects New Arsenal Contract
Aliko (Barcelona) 4 years ago
A spanish newspaper claims that Cesc Fabregas rejected the new contract which Arsenal offered him. The Gunners offered their captain a weekly wage of £127000 .... To be the highest-paid player ever at Arsenal. He is a target of the two spanish giants: Barca and Real ....

Source: Link: de.soccerway.com/news/2010/February/08/fabregas-re...

Do you think this is a sign from Fabregas that he wants to leave ?
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
I've been reading various news reports since last summer the Cesc will leave for Barca this summer if Arsenal don't win any hardware this year. He is still a very young player and has much ahead of him in terms of his football career and I wouldn't blame him for being drawn home to Spain. The only problem is he must be careful what he wishes for. For many players choosing the move to Spain can be the beginning of the end of their career at least as a top knotch footballer
I don't know wether his move to Spain would mean the end of his career! I think Henry will be settled on the bench in order to make a place for Fabregas or something like that...
Lyndon (Panathinaikos Athens) 4 years ago
He almost definitely will not be a bench player. You can count on that
Mauijim (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yeah, I think we saw this coming.
Too bad for the Gunners, but great players want to win silverware. That is how they get their names into the history books. (Torres said something like that himself on the way to Liverpool)
Matt (Footytube Staff) 4 years ago
There are also reports that he has stated that he wishes to return to Barcelona 'at some point' which does not bode well for the Gunners
Zizou10 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
They've been speculating for 3-4 years.... He always ends up denying the rumors...
Let's see his official statement.... And this of Arsenal Football Club
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
On the bright side for the gunners, they picked fabregas up nice and young from barca and now he would be worth a fortune, decent investment. Its a big lose yes. Huge!. BUT its lucky for arsenal fabregas is a CM because arsenal are lucky enough to have a few great young players in their squad who in a few years could be doing just as good job
Donnchadh (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I think Barcelona is his home club, so he wants to go back. And his spot in the Spanish national team isn't quite solidified, maybe he believes if he plays his club football in Spain he will get a starting spot. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Spain, I just hope it is Barca not Madrid. Arsenal will surely be hurting if he leaves, who will be captain?
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
It really does look like the gunners worst nightmare may be coming true. If fab leaves that will be another season or two that they will go trophyless. Really though, fab going to barca just isn't a good idea for me. Not with xavi and iniesta in front of him. Then again maybe he wants to go before xavi retires. Surely he was one of fabregas's idols while at the barca academy
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
Its no ones fault but arsne wengers, if he had strengthened the team I would'nt have foreseen a problem keeping top players like fabregas.
But when cesc fabregas sees no new players coming to the club, and being beaten by utd liverpool and chelsea, he's gonna' say, enoughs enough I want to win something, even fernando torres stated earlier this season that liverpool needs to strengthen, and they havent done so, well you would hardly call aquillani and maxi rodriguez two world beaters.
But I can see top players moving from english clubs that are not willing to splash the cash to bring more talent to the club.
Its going to be a pity because I certainly don't want to see players like fabregas and torres leave the epl, it would be a sorrier place without players of that calibre.
So wenger and rafa may start emptying the money boxes and purchase a few decent players, but as I said, the next transfer window is the summer, and players are not going to wait to see who the boss brings in, so it could be already too late.
But it might be too late for wenger to hold onto fabregas, I reckon he could be away this summer, and fernando torres at liverpool
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Michael Owen?
I don't know why you have thrown michael owen into the equasion ant, he's hardly a torres or fabregas.
Plus utd got him for nothing, I don't see your point mate?
Owen? Haha you make me laugh he isn't getting his chance at ManU.... Do you expect he will get it at Anfield? We need fresh and young talents not players with 30 years!
Ant (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Slow down everyone, my point was that Tony pointed out Benitez and Wenger were not strengthening their clubs properly, and players will want to leave. I pointed out that Fergie strengthened his club with Michael Owen this season
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Valencia has done well in SAF's defence. Anytime Owen scores is just a happy surprise. Besides that 95th minute goal against City was priceless, well worth his wage for the year. But I don't think that had any bearing on Ronaldo's departure as may be the case with Cesc. All the same, I'd be surprised if Fabregas didn't go back to Barca. Although he may run into issues starting for them every game with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta still around
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I do agree Cesc Probably will head back to Barca at this point. Like Sergio Said below, He only came to this country for a free education, well that's mostly true. He did know that Arsenal played good football and he liked Wenger. But his passion was always Barcelona and that's where he wanted to play, so he will end up back there one way or another
Owens a better accquisition than aquillani, and rafa paid 22m or there abouts for him, I can't see the comparison when you think owen was brought in for nothing
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Lets be honest guys. He only came to this country for a free education. Apparently he done his Alevels in his spare time while playng for arsenal
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Fabregas is one of the best players in the world. If arsenal do not decide to buy a real attacker, a true star, I understand that fabregas spineless leave the club. Henry arsenal has lost to the same reasons. I love Arsenal and I love wenger and training of young players but it's time to win titles. Fabregas is young and he can not play his whole life at Arsenal without winning anything
[account-removed] 4 years ago
I always fell bad when a top class player move from epl, its annoying. You can take examples of beckham, michael owen, v. Nistelroy, alonso, huntellar, and many more who joined la liga and left epl and they nearly flopped. I always envy la liga, I wonder that epl is the best league to play yet they leave epl and run after that la liga. Well see those la liga's team grounds. Its always dirty and I don't like to watch those matches without clean ground. And also less fans seeing the match. We have to watch it without noise even barca and real's matches too. So, honestly I wish if ronaldo, alonso, fabregas, v. Nistelroy, henry, owen had not left epl
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Huntelaar?
BigShel (Philadelphia Union) 4 years ago
@kaushal What? Dirty grounds? Less Fans? The Camp Nou holds over 90, 000 Really?
Rockerr (Liverpool) 4 years ago
It's total madness, if he leaves for Barca. He is the back-bone of arsenal. If he moves to Barca, its not certain that he'll be the same there. We have already seen many great players like Alonso, Henry etc loosing their glory joining La liga sides. He is enjoying a lot of fame here at arsenal so he shouldn't leave for Barca.
And another thing, if he leaves Arsenal will be in a very big trouble. I don't really know which player could take up his role
He is like Ribery for Bayern!
Lievregris (RSC Anderlecht) 4 years ago
I would find it a bold move to go to Barca or Real where starplayers are already trying to ensure their places as key-elements of the team when Cesc already is THE key-player in the Arsenal squad. I think he will stay because if Arsenal win something in the upcomming four years, his name will be top of the list of the winners whilst at Barca or Real, other players will get in front of him
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
It certainly is. There's no guarantee he would have a place in the starting XI at Barça -- between Xavi and Iniesta, there's no room in the midfield. (Unless Pep Guardiola would consider moving Iniesta permanently to Henry's spot as an attacking winger -- which I'm not sure would be a good idea....)
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I read what Matt said. I think he should stay in the EPL because Barca and Real already have big stars and he may end up like Thierry Henry. The Arsenal squad is a great place to improve his qualities and inabilities and he is captain aswell, but there is only one reason do not agree on a new contract - and this is the reason. Arsenal will miss him if he leaves
Tintifra (Seattle Sounders) 4 years ago
Nothing wrong with Henry's performance at Barcelona. He had slight difficulties adjusting tactically in the first year, but he soon figured it out. If anything, Henry is slightly diminished now on account of his age
[account-removed] 4 years ago
Well put Tintifra
CHELSEA61 (Footytube Moderator) 4 years ago
Have you ever heard the old fable of the tortoise and the scorpion? Its Arsen Wenger's nature to be fiscally responsible even if it kills him. This is the reason that Arsenal will never win any signifigant trophies with the philosophy of selling players when they peak. As a result Cesc will make the decision to leave because Wenger wants to balance the books first and then magically somehow win trophies second

Kick4Life - changing lives through football