Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
FA Cup Bring Back The Magic!
Rubin (Inter Milan) 1 year ago
It's not such a good suggestion. The losing team would not only be out of the cup but would also lose a league match in just one match. So it would be quite hard to take for them and their fans. It's fine the way it is.
Matt (Footytube Staff) 1 year ago
This weekend I attended the FA Cup match between Southampton and Chelsea. Needless to say that the result for me was a tiny bit disappointing but more than that it was the decision to rest key players that irks me.

We all know that the number one priority for teams these days is the league especially those teams contesting for the title or survival. I am also a realist and know that even with if we had fielded a full strength team the chances are we would of lost to a very good Chelsea side (who seem to be taking the cups very seriously!). Even so it would of been nice to see the likes of Lambert and Ramirez on the pitch.

So I have a suggestion (well it was actually my wife who suggested it in a throwaway remark). When the cup matches are drawn if the teams are from the same league with an unplayed league fixture due then the match played will count for both competitions (give managers a chance to opt out). This will ensure that full strength teams are used and ease some of the fixture congestion modern Managers seem to harp on about (normally just before a quick foreign tour).

The clubs will lose a bit of additional revenue but that would be insignificant to the Premier League teams.

If this was to happen then we would see proper competitive matches between the big boys and that would bring the magic back!

Any better suggestions?

Kick4Life - changing lives through football