Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
End Of English Dominance Of The Champions League?
AbbeyC 4 years ago
With no club from England in the Champions League semi-finals, is this the end of the glory days of English club football, or a blip while teams are in transition?

Is the lack of a winter break hampering English sides (the injury lists were long for United and Arsenal)? Or have the best La Liga and Serie A sides just got better?
Rzv36 (Real Madrid) 4 years ago
I think England teams are falling down and La Liga and Serie A goes better. The best players in the world are in La Liga then itțs Premier League. From now won it will be very hard for any english team to reach the semi finals of an european cup. Only Liverpool can save Englandțs ass by winning Europa League
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Four words.... United should be there. In no way is English dominance dropping. Same teams, same quality. Barca is getting better. Liverpool is having an awful season. But Arsenal, Chelsea, and United were all in the quarters. You'll see them again next year, I'll bet money on it. There's no ass to be saved here. EPL teams are still some of the best in the world and you can bet your ass they'll be contenders next year
Dachelser (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I disagree manchester united were second best they deserve to be out. Liverpool are crap this season arsenal were slaughtered united were not at there best chelsea didn't play their best. Its like before the dominace swaps around every couple of years this is the la ligas turn the premiership will be the best in 2 or 3 years
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
No. United should have been there. Bayern paid the ref. Rafael tug was minor. And Ribery pushed him after wards. Badstuber should have gotten a red. People say Olic goal was vital. But it was the Red card. If it wouldnt have happened then United would have won 4 or 5-1
Raj (Chelsea) 4 years ago
A lot of people forget about that knock-out ties in the champions league are a two legged affair and since the topic here is the relevance of how good English teams are this season, you'll have to consider the 1st leg as well, despite your opinion was about the deciding 2nd. Bayern dominated nearly the entire game in Germany after Rooney scored early. United put up a very resilient fight in the 2nd and won on the night despite losing out on the tie. On the balance it evened out, 1 game a piece and Bayern got through on away goals which is the way the competition works and deserved it over two legs.

Please, lets not use the red card excuse, it was entirely Rafael's fault that he even got carded both times, which were obviously avoidable, but he's young, a great prospect for Untied and before that happened, he was probably their best player on the pitch keeping Ribery virtually out of the game. He made mistakes, two of them and was sent off for it. Football is also to do with temperament just as it is about playing and skill. If he didn't put himself in a position to be carded, he wouldn't be. End of
Eric (Manchester United) 4 years ago
I'm simply saying if it was a ref that had grown enough of a pair in order to stick with his initial decision, United would have crushed Bayern in the second half much like the first. Rafael is young and the first foul was clearly a yellow and a stupid one. The second, if I'm officiating the game, is never a yellow. It's neither here nor there since Bayern's through on away goals (which I think is a rubbish rule) and, regardless of what I think, are in the semis. They won't have gained a fan in me given the way they played for the yellow/sending off. Rooting for Lyon to win on away goals in the semis
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
The second yellow was questionable if not undeserved. I wouldn't have given a yellow for a little jersey grabbing. It happens all the time and cards are hardly given for that. I question SAF game management and iq. Obviously SAF is one of the greatest managers to ever in football, but he failed to recognize the vulnerability of young Raf. Raf should have been taken out soon after the first yellow or at halftime. SAF took a gamble and lost and then had the nerve to criticize "the typical Germans. "
Ribery pushed afterwards. The bayern players convince him
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I ain't sure about the drop of English Dominance, only time will tell the answer. One swallow doesn't make a summer. English sides' falter, this time, has nothing to deal with 'luck'. The English sides had enough of luck and their opponents fully deserved to grow through
Yogan (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I don't think so. It was just a really unlucky draw for Chelsea and Arsenal. Liverpool were b******s, that's true, Man United got through the first stage and went out very unluclily to Bayern Munich. United should be there. But it'll be nice to see a bit of variety
Pragathish (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Unlucky draw? Hmm I can say the same for all the Italian teams as well
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Yeah, draws for the Italian teams have been a bit suspect in these last seasons.

Round of 16 2007/08:

AC Milan - Arsenal
Inter - Liverpool
Roma - Real Madrid

Round of 16 2008/09

Juventus - Chelsea
Roma - Arsenal
Inter - Manchester United

Round of 16 2009/10

AC Milan - Manchester United
Fiorentina - Bayern Munich
Inter - Chelsea

A bit too unlucky, these "random draws"
[account-removed] 4 years ago
If you want to win, you gotta' be the best. A champion will have no difficulties beating anything that comes across its path.

But those draws seem sketchy lol But they make for the best games
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
I agree with Chaconche. There's nothing suspicious, you just read too much into these draws
Sharpoon (Hull City) 4 years ago
Massive over-reaction. One year without a team in the semi's does not mean that countrys in decline. There was still two teams in the quarters which only France can also match. And I highly doubt Serie A will over take the Premiership any time soon
BIJACK (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Most people will say that it's too quick to say that. Just close the thread already haha.... Just joking

MU, Arsenal and Chelsea were beaten by great side. By the beginning of the next season they will be stronger.
Liverpool was not as good as now. I think their current performance is better, especially in the UEFA Cup.
Vivaldi (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Let's talk about how Bayern Munich managed to reach the semifinal. We can explain it in one word: LUCK.
Bayern has been overwhelmed by 3 teams in this Champions League: Bordeaux, Fiorentina and ManUtd. Each of them proved to be a far better team, playing better than the german side. But we know how it ended: Fiorentina was robbed in the 1st leg, ManUtd played in 10 men the 2nd leg, and two masterpieces of Robben decided both rounds.

So, it's not fair to talk of a decline of English football, given that chance has played a big role so far.
The true decline will happen when money will leave Albion. But for now there is still too much money in English football for it to decline. In the next years we will see many other times English teams in the semifinals and final of Champions League, no doubt. Maybe only struggling a bit more
Tony (footytube staff) 4 years ago
I don't think you can say they're dominant, with barcelona around.... Lol, but I know what you mean.
I think next year will be the benchmark for english clubs, and if they fail next season, then yes they have lost dominance in numbers like having 3 teams in the quarter finals etc:
I reckon this year was an odd one and I would'nt read too much into the english clubs failures.
You can have 3 english teams in the semi finals and barcelona.... Lol, and there would be a good chance none of them would win it anyway, with the displays they are putting in.
But I still think the english clubs will be back, and better for next seasons champions league
People are saying Barca are taking control of the champions league. But its Messi. I think Barcelona are relient on Messi. And I still think the EPL is the best in the world. It has been the most competitive this season. And I think the English teams will come out and be dominant nxt season
Time will tell over the next 2 or 3 years if this is a one off or English teams have really weakened. I think its too early for the rest of Europe to celebrate hah, England still has the highest UEFA co-efficient rating among all the leagues and thus is able to pack in 4 teams for the Champions league and that alone by logic means that the English teams have a much higher probability of making it final 16, 8, 4 or 2. Barcelona are currently playing in a continent of their own, United and Chelsea along with Liverpool(chaos permitting) and Arsenal (injuries permitting) are all capable to reaching the final 4 and are more tweaked to the competition, more than most of their European counterparts.... The tide may have changed for the moment but I fully expect the English teams to bounce back up for next season
Again Barcelona are not in a world of their own. Messi is in a world of his own
Although it has nothing to do with the topic in discussion, that's an utterly simplistic opinion about a subject where there are a lot of variables. Barcelona have possibly the best work-rate in Europe, by all the pressing down and possession they have against opponents. That doesn't happen with just Messi alone, its with the whole team contributing.

I'll just quote Ronaldo instead, "He's phenomenal, but Messi doesn't play on his own. The coach and his team-mates deserve credit as well. Whoever knows about football knows what I'm saying, '' - After the 4 goals he scored against Arsenal and the build up to El Clasico`
That's true. But still Barca have been to relient. Against Arsenal. When Messi didn't shine they tied. Same wiv Stuggart. Then when Messi shines they win
Even with your own logic Kim, Messi is a product of Barca. They aren't separate entities, Barca made Messi. Bought him in early, reared him, developed his game and he is where he is now because of the club. So when you say when Messi 'shines', its also Barca that's shining
I mean at the moment
Have it your way fella, I know you won't give up haha
[account-removed] 4 years ago
One year without English teams does not mean the end of dominance. If this happens again next year we can talk about it further. I think the biggest thing has been that injuries have come at the wrong time for English clubs.

But the biggest thing has been, when the transfer season occurred.... No big clubs made any new signings to prepare for the injuries, and most of the big clubs paid dearly for this. Man UTD without Rooney, Arsenal played the second leg without 7 starters. Granted the economy is bullshit right now for everyone, but reinforcement to prepare for the hard times is also a big part of the game
Adamaus (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Also it was like 8 years ago and 3 spanish teams were in champions league I think it was. And 2 spanish teams in the final. Then english had a good run.

It is a cycle and it might be a year or two and england could be back having 3 in the semis. With the europe competitions becoming tighter again it makes for a more enjoyable champions league
Fromtheisland (Toronto) 4 years ago
Yes and no, I can see a new trend taking place. Barca is the best team in the world and I think they will be for quite some time. I think Barca is going to force the rest of the Spanish teams to raise their play, especially Real Madrid. I think Madrid is only going to get better, once they learn to play like a team
49ers04 (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I don't understand this business about the best players being in la liga now. Last I checked, there are plenty of superstars still in the EPL.... La Liga is still miles behind the EPL looking at them head to head, there's Barca, then a bunch of mish mash 20 points down, with Real Madrid dreaming in the middle. You can hardly say that shows signs of an improving league. I do however think the Serie A is improving, based purely on the fact that a team as strong as Inter isn't currently dominating. The EPL is still the best league in the world, it's common sense

Kick4Life - changing lives through football