Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Does Man City Have What It Takes To Win EPL Or UCL?.
Juno (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I say no atm. Why? Because I think there's a distinct lack of team spirit in the squad.

Few teams ever win anything without the need to foster strong team spirits. But teams with team spirit in abundance with get you far. Abundance of talent will bring you on level with the very best, but will it get you trophies ? Seldom. A good example of low team spirit high talent team? Holland. Internal bickering and spirit dampening actions caused Holland dearly in lots of tournaments.

Why do I say Manchester City lack team spirit?
Watch this:

Mcfc 4-0 Swansea

Watch the celebration. No united front. Celebrations left to goalscorer and nearest teammate. Celebrating with your teammates is one of the easiest way build team spirits. Goalscorer felt appreciated, gets more confidence, and everyone is happy.

And this brings us to the next point - Manchester City are somewhat overconfident, and doesn't take on smaller team in the same mentality. Watch this:
MCFC 2-3 MUFC . Watch the celebrations again. Notice how the celebration changes from team to team?

Mancini is no doubt a talented coach. But he's no Fergie or Mourinho. He doesn't build great team. Mourinho led Porto UCL, Fergie led MU from seconds of defeat to winning UCL. These teams are built on team spirits. Team spirits will help bring out the best in the team, as well as help the team to get out of the darkest hours should there be a slump in forms. Mancini needs to weed out trouble makers, and foster stronger bonds in the squad.

I dare to say, the reason behind Man Utd and Chelsea winning more than Arsenal is because they have a better team spirit in the squad than Arsenal. And Man city's is looking at Arsenal's model of failure at the moment.

With major difference in pay between the squad members and the first 11, and the star individuals, Man city can ill-afford to have a team that's low on team spirit if they are to mount an assault on the EPL or UCL. These money issue can mean that should the big earners eg: Adebayor can benched, they sulked, whined and cry, it would also cause squad members to be utter pissed if the big earners don't prove their worth. Troubles stem from such issues.

Manchester City certainly has the talents now. They are one of the big guns in the EPL, but to win, you had to shoot with accuracy(talent) and you have to shoot with confidence(spirits).
Northstream (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
I agree with you completely and I also think they won't succeed in the EPL or the UCL, not just yet - if ever...
Bigbran20 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I agree that this season the will not win any silverwear but granted they do dave one of the deeepest teams and should push the red devils the enire season
RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
I think you guys are a little short sighted, first of all, you're analysis of Holland is wrong, it's the other way around, they have a semi gifted team (ok, some superstars) but nothing in comparison to teams like Argentina, Spain or Brazil. Holland has Sneijder, Robben and Van Persie and Robben is often injured so he's not even a sure bet. (he played only parts of the last World Cup).

Then, I think Man City will win things this year, they are actually the only team that can beat
Barcelona or Real this year. Team spirit is not just the way you celebrate a goal.... Look at the way the ball goes around there this season, especially when Silva and Nasri play together.

Silva/Nasri = Xavi/Iniesta = Ozil/Alonso

Man United will have to be at their best but I still think they've got the best chance because they are the most experienced team with many players who have already won everything
I don't know who's more short-sighted. Ok, Semi gifted I accept. But the star players they have are definitely world class. The rest of the make ups aren't exactly push-overs.

Secondly, the thread was made when the first game was played. Then, it was clear cut that MCFC lacks something. They then went out to buy more firepower in Nasri and Aguero which resulted in some spectacular result so far. But hey, the first sign of hickups came. They lost the first competitive game against Bayern. And Mancini's management of his star players in Tevez, Dzeko, and Balotelli will be tested to the fullest after the recent bustup. Soon we shall know how big the influence of team spirit can lift or break a team. Of course, with the firepower they have on hand, they will still win more often than not, (and I'm not discrediting them in anyway), they are still not in the league of Barca and Madrid.

RealAnimalz (Real Madrid) 2 years ago
Right, the're not pushovers but their not amongst the best in the world, but they still made it to the final and not by being lucky I think. They just showed amazing team spirit. When a guy like Van Bronckhorst starts shooting from 35m or more and scores that's mentally and the way the ball was going round there was nice to see.
About MC, they lost indeed against Bayern, but that happens. Bayern has equally good players as Man City and a team that's been playing together for much longer. Man City will grow in the season I think. Nasri/Aguero are great transfers
L0b0s (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I don't see them winning any silverwear this year. Do remember this is their first game and 4-0 isn't bad. Also all goals came after an hour or so and add to the fact that goal scorer just got to the team and is fresh, I really don't see it as a huge deal if the team jumped around him yet. Ppl were tired/didnt want to waste energy. I believe man city will be 5th this year and they will become a better team like team. But I have a feeling it will be mid way through before that happens
Ant (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Everything being said about Man City was said about Chelsea 5-10 years ago and longer.

"In June 2003, Bates sold Chelsea to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich for £140 million, completing what was then the biggest-ever sale of an English football club.[4] Over £100 million was spent on new players.... Under Mourinho, Chelsea became the fifth English team to win back-to-back league championships since the Second World War (2004–05 and 2005–06),[16] in addition to winning an FA Cup (2007) and two League Cups (2005 and 2007)."

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_F.C.#History...

In my opinion, money absolutely does buy trophies, and anyone would be unwise to suggest Man City won't win anything. These days Man City are the fashionable team to hate, and no-one talks about Chelsea's history any more, so I'd guess in about five years, there'll be a new team to hate and no-one will talk about Man City's transfer madness by then
MUMatt (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Chelsea have established themselves. City has not. Until they do the talk will continue. You can't hold signs saying you are England's Barcelona when you haven't won anything yet
FA Cup? Top three in Prem last year? You have to expect they'll be pushing for the title this year, and even Alex Ferguson is aware of that. Not respecting them is one thing, but discounting them from winning anything is something else
Not discounting them winning anything. Just feel they haven't got the right ingredients to make the push though. Of 'cause I could be wrong since they make a good start to the league, but somehow from the charity shield you can see the slight difference in mentality between the pretenders and the current incumbent. And that is probably what separates them right now. They'll always be up there challenging now with so many superstars, with a good chance, and with some luck, they might nicked some silverwares, but I suspect the mentality and team spirit is still something in progress
I'm not discounting them. Won the FA cup and got a top three finish in a really weird EPL season. No one said they are bad. Until they establish themselves as a constant threat then this is what people will talk about. How many players in their starting line-up have come through their youth ranks (I dont' know but I'm assuming it's very few if any)? They are not an established team yet. One day sure but right now they aren't and that is what is going to be talked about until they become a constant threat like Chelsea has.... As of right now it looks like people are going to City for a pay check and that's it
Eric (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I agree with with all points. I do think there is a lack of togetherness for the City squad, but I don't think that will hamper them from making very real attacks on the throne of the EPL and maybe even the champions league in time. I think that City will struggle at times during their season, but every team does. Time will tell, but I think that City have some very dangerous players and sometimes that's all you really need. That and the most solid defence in the Premiership. I'm curious how Arsenal is going to do with their Champion's League spot with strong competition from City and Liverpool this season
TheThreeBeavers (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
I think they'll do well but not good enough to get the prize
I honestly think the have no shot. A team of all-stars rarely ever works out! I can't understand why teams are unable to see that. Talent only gets you so far you need work ethic which I'm not so sure a lot of the City players have. Only thing on the mind of most of City's players is money. United on the other hand always seem to by the right players same goes for Barcelona, Liverpool, Madrid.... And they all have youth systems in tact so they have player up and down there ranks that can come in at any time and not miss a beat. I think City has a very very very long way to go before their fans start holding up signs saying they're England's Barcelona!
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Yes, the question is, can Arsenal?
Aeaglan (AC Milan) 2 years ago
I think that team spirit plays an important role when a team is trying to rebound from an important loss, but it is in no way the main factor in winning titles. I think more importantly man city is lacking team chemistry between players. Then again, watching the 4-0 thrashing of swansea reveals that the squad is improving in leaps and bounds.

I honestly think that man city are a team to be reckoned with this season and they are genuine title contenders if david silva stays healthy
That's why the past couple of years, when City slump, they couldn't pick up the form in time to make the charge. Being a contenders you can't have a long slump. Being a pretender, fans know why you stand - UCL places and nothing more
Agreed.... They will struggle in the long run also unless they get a solid youth system in place as well.... There are times when you can't rely on the transfer market to purchase players
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
I think anyteam has what it takes to win. It all depends how hard they work for it. Man City definately have the players to win the league. They have Aguero, Tevez Silva, Dzeko, Hart, Toure, etc. They're now a world class team. If anything, I think they're gonna' be replacing Arsenal as one of the big & in the EPL
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Yes. Yes, of course they have. They have great players, a lot of people doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes I. E. Their youth acadamy and they have a fairly good coach. Team spirit gets built, how do you expect it to be there when there is often talk of a new player arriving. Players worry about their own standing, even though a lot of them nowadays announce through the media that they in fact welcome competition. What annoys me is this talk of the 'great rivalry' between Man Utd and Man City. It's not really there. There was a couple of posters that tried to piss the other team off and a player moving from one side to the other, but nothing else. Manchester City have to win the league for the rivalry to actually be there. But of course they have what it takes. But who knows what will happen, but they are certainly up there
Bjarni10 (Manchester United) 2 years ago
City have got the squad to challenge but I think they will be second or third just because of the manager and the team spirit.
Sometimes the team spirit seems to be fine and all but then it doesn't. Its like some of the players just hate each other.
And for me Mancini plays to defensively in so many games. If he wants to win something he has to move the team forward. Instead of hanging on a one goal lead try and get the next one to kill the game off.

For me City also have got lots of quality players but its keeping them all happy, that will be a huge factor for Mancini this season as well
Right. Keeping the players happy when the wage level is so skewed is a hard job for anyone
HangTime (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I got Man City to finish second after Man United. Chelsea 3rd and Liverpool 4th. But if Man City sign Nasri, I can see them finishing first ahead of Man United.

What City has been lacking was an attacking mid. They had been playing Yaya Toure as an attacking mid. Though Toure did very well there, playing Toure as a defensive mid and Nasri as an attacking mid can boost their defence and offense. Nasri and Silva will create quite a few chances for for Dzeko and Aguero to score. If Tevez stays at City this season, they can be deadly in the offense. They are already very strong defensively. Big black strong defenders.... Kolo Toure, Lescott, Kompany, Richard, Clichy (a little smaller). Big black strong defensive mid.... Yaya Toure, De Jong.

I can see Man City fighting for trophies this season. I can't say that they will win any though.... Mainly b/c United, Liverpool, and Chelsea will give them a challenge
Football Manager 2011? Lol
?
Lol big black? What if they were big white, or brown, or red, or yellow, or green? What did you get City to finish second in? That doesn't make sense...
He obviously means he expects Man City to finish 2nd, come on guys!
Obviously second in the league.
And they're big and black.... I said that as a compliment. In America (USA), the stereotype is that Blacks are great athletes
VictorianDoctor (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I can see Man City making a push toward the EPL title this season. But I believe by this time in May 2012, Man City will fall short to Man Utd by 4-5 points. I think the top 6 in the EPL will be 1. Man Utd 2. Man City 3. Chelsea 4. Liverpool 5. Arsenal 6. Tottenham.

Once Man City gets Nasri, it'll open up the midfield a little more because of Nasri's style of play. But who knows when that transfer will go through. Will Nasri's transfer saga be played out like Fabreags'? LOL
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
I expect Man city to be major contenders for silverware on all fronts this season. I doubt they will get the champions league or EPL this year, probably another FA or League cup. But they are not a team to be underestimated this season
Imagine if you will a Man City team ran by Mourinho. Would that have what it takes to win?
'Mou' them into bunch of murderers

Kick4Life - changing lives through football