Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Do Tottenham Have The Best Attacking Squad?
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 5 years ago
As seen already this season Mr. Redknapp has gathered himself quite a formidable attack in this up and coming team. Defoe and Keane would give any team worries but to have Pav and Crouch as substitutes along with Lenon and Modric serving up to these finishers. If you hadn't seen this squad take shape all the way from last season you would have thought you were looking at a top 4 attacking squad (and that might be what they end up). On paper they look to be a top squad and their results have left nothing to question.

But how do the other top teams compare?

Manchester United: Admittedly this is my team and I was actually excited to see Ronaldo go (holding too many others from meeting their potential) and Tevez wasn't happy with his treatment (I'd rather see him out than stick around half-heartedly). Well we've got Rooney and Berbatov and a bunch of youngsters. Let's just say that I am more than relieved to have picked up Owen and should he stay healthy our squad could be just as potent as any other. Beefing up our wingers helped as well, but so far this season I don't think we've looked nearly as potent or impressive as the aforementioned Tottenham.

Chelsea: How many names must I mention in the sea of talent that is Chelsea. While I have a general dislike for this squad I can't look the other way at the likes of Drogba and Anelka and not recognize that they are two of the best finishers in the Premiership. Countless names such as Deco, Ballack, Lampard, Malouda.... In all sincerity the list doesn't stop. This is still the most talented and stacked squad in the bigs, the only question is can they pull it together. They find themselves in the same situation but a different boat than United. Their lacking comes not in talent but instead in the prospect of switching coaches every 5 months (difficult for any squad to have a go at it without solid leadership). Ancelotti you have a small Russian man with lots of money expecting big things, good luck.

Arsenal: So far this season this squad has looked awesome. The youth and exuberance of their attacking squad with the cool confidence of Fabregas and Eduardo (have you been watching these guys!) I am quickly becoming a fan of the gunners and am beginning to believe that Wenger saw this coming on all along. They certainly don't look like a squad that just lost one of the best in Barclays, namely Adebayor. In my opinion Arsenal look stronger and have just as much or more depth than Tottenham.

Liverpool: I hate liverpool. I won't even justify their talent or opportunity and losing two of their first three games doesn't really making me either. Anyone reading this article will immediately lose respect and credibility for me as a blogger but who cares. Down with Anfield! I do however have a great respect for Torres (he reminds me of an Elf from lord of the rings)

Manchester City: I think this is the last club that would have a legitimate chance of being considered to have one of the strongest attacking squads. And it does not disappoint: Adebayor, Robinho, Tevez, Santa Cruz, Bellamy along with Wright Phillips weaving circles through the defence. While I'm not a fan, I am officially impressed with their play and their squad, well done Hughes and your unlimited budget. I think City have a very legitimate chance of being a top contender as well.

All said and done I would rate these squads overall attacking prowess as such

1. Arsenal
2. Tottemham
3. Chelsea
4. Manchester City
5. Manchester United (oh No!)
20. Liverpool

Remember this is only an evaluation of the Attack, not the squad's overall strength.

Glory Glory Man United! And come on youngsters impress us.
RonanKnows (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I would like to point out that I also link Torres to an Elf from LotR
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
About your point about Adebayor.... I believe we are much better without Adebayor because he would hold onto the ball to much and disrupt are free flowing attacks.... Yes he gave us moments of brilliance as well as being a good header of the ball but the way he just shut down our attacks due to him being nonchalant and not urgent allowed to opposition to get numbers behind to prevent our attacks.

I know it's early in the season but 15 goals from 4 matches isn't too shabby either
Franboy (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Very good analysis, but the advantage is for chelsea, manchester and liverpool because they have more experience. Throughout the season for players like drogba, rooney, torres will be more effective than van Persie, Adebayor, ....
Good defence and a good midfield advantage the scorers.
That is why I say that manchester chelsea and liverpool are the best attack because he is better supported by the second line
Blooob (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Why do you hate liverpool hmmmmm because you fear use
Vonrasmussen (Manchester United) 4 years ago
No bloob.... Well maybe a little,
Ciankc (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Lennon is a very complete player. He is an excellent passer and he can still score. I am glad that he is on the england squad
MrPoopyPants (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Agreed. Lennon is a very well rounded player
Ant (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Topic should probably have been called something to do with analysing the various Premiership attack strengths, seeing as you called it "Tottenham have the best Attacking squad" and then said Arsenal have the best attacking squad.

That aside, putting Liverpool at position 20 makes the entire thing a bit farcical. A pity, because before the hate rant, it was quite a decent discussion.

My suggestion is to raise your game and don't cheapen the post with "Blah, blah, I hate Liverpool etc". Otherwise, half of your replies will be people telling you to shut up, whereas they would have been decent responses. It's understood Liverpool fans don't like United, and United fans don't like Liverpool. It's time wasted writing it all over the forums to be honest, but especially in the Stands, which is meant for decent discussions.

Just an opinion
Well I mean aside from the obvious. I admitted to that when I wrote it
Great write-up, but I do have to agree with Ant.

Even though City do have a great bunch of attacking players, I would still rate United higher
United should certainly be top two or three. Still plenty of ammunition without Ronaldo there
Yeah, it also depends if Vonrasmussen is going for proven attacking prowess or potential
A little of both.... I guess
Samdagooner (Arsenal) 5 years ago
I believe the rankings should be:

1. Arsenal
2. Manchester United
3. Manchester City
4. Chelsea
5. Tottenham
6. Liverpool
Hmm, I can agree with that
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Me too. Problem is Arsenal's attack are more fragile than all the other teams' attack. They spend alot more time visiting physios...
Lets not forget Liverpool had the best goal difference by far last season, scoring 9 more goals than anyone. They haven't lost any attackers this season.

Yes, Alonso is gone but he was a defensive midfield, the topic is about attacking prowess
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Alonso is a huge back step. I am not considering as title contenders yet
No, for sure, but in the realm of this topic, essentially "which team has the best attacking force in the Premiership" - we can't ignore the most recent seasons results, especially as none of the attcking part of the team has changed. Torres and Gerrard are formidable when they play at their best
Okay then. Sorry went a bit offtopic (Still a bit sad from xabi leaving)
Illskillz718 (Barcelona) 5 years ago
But clearly they haven't. If you can't stop the counterattack and hold down on defence, then your offense will also be affected indirectly
I understand your argument completely. You're arguing that you can't have a truly effective attacking force without a decent defence. I agree, but again, on topic, the question rasied is which premiership team have the best attacking force, not which is the best team. Imagine making each teams players stand in two groups, "more attacking" players and "more defensive" players. Tell the "more defensive" players to go away for the purpose of this discussion.

If you look at results of good attacking force, the most obvious result of a successful side is the goals they score, and Liverpool scored 9 more goals than anyone in the premiership last year. Not one or two goals, nine goals.

I'm not saying they have the best attack this year, or that'll happen again. Just stating a basic fact to make people think
So do you think it's just a slow start then, because the goals don't seem to be coming this year?

And upon a re-reading of the article it would have been better had I not been so short towards Liverpool, my apologies, (trying to be more humorous than anything else)
I have a feeling that most of this season will be a bit of a mess for Liverpool. I thought that after the big win in the 2nd game, they'd come right but then Villa happened. We'll have to wait and see, but all the time we're waiting, the other teams in the top 4 (6, 8 now?) are all getting wins under their belt
Dempsey (Fulham) 5 years ago
I don't think there is much to worry about for Liverpool. They were extremely unlucky against Villa. They completely dominated that game, and Friedel just had one of his classic performances in goal. Liverpool just made some really bad mistakes defensively that I doubt will be replicated so frequently. Just keep Lucas on the bench and they'll be fine
I see your point Ant. Then yes, going strictly by the topic and last year's results, Liverpool has a formidable attacking force that should kick in once they get out of these unusual slump they are in. There hasn't been any changes in the attack from last year, so hopefully the trend will continue
Juno (AC Milan) 4 years ago
Liverpool has the trend of having fantastic attack one season, fantastic defence another.... Since they went on a fantastic attack mode last season.... Probably they'll go impotent this season...
They are centantley gonna' be considered to be title favourites if they carry on how they are. But the true test is gonna' be facing teams like arsenal, chealsea mancity etc. I think they have a GOOD attacking force that is currentley on fire. But from experincing teams like these over the years (Last Year Aston Villa) I am gonna' be suprised if they are still in thier winning ways mid way through the season.

Tottenham already beat one of the big teams. I think they might have what it takes to compete with the other ones as well. But you are right, we are going to have to wait and see. After 10 games and all things are settled, we'll see where the teams stands. Then we can make better assessments
What liverpool? Even Bloody Villa Can beat us at the moment. Its nothing speacial
LOL.... Well I was just paying my respects to your team
But Tottenham beat Liverpool before anyone could have predicted Liverpool was going to go through this bad stretch. So before the start of that game, everyone (well mostly everyone) had Liverpool winning, or at least at the advantage
ManUK (Manchester United) 5 years ago
It was the first game of the season! You don't know what they're like until you see them play, right now if Spurs played 'em again I think they'd be favorites
Agreed, it was the first game of the season, but who would you have expected to win (loyalties to other teams aside)?

Which team are you saying would be favorites?
Not sure but Spurs could easily win
I will admit that this article is quite biased especially towards the first three games that have already taken place. We'll have to see how the season goes to find out how accurate this observation was
Wannabgunner (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Great comment I totally agree....
But if we were rating for just after these few couple games

Arsenal (not just bec I m a fan)
Chelsea
Tottenham
Man you
Man CIty
Who changed the title?
Not me, no idea. One of the mods or admins probably rightly changed it to make more sense and get some decent replies. As mentioned earlier, you called the topic "Tottenham have the best attacking force" but then your post said Arsenal have the best attacking force. Confusing at best
It's a literary trick ant, you know, the old bait and switch, People come in expecting to argue and then they're met with a different outcome than expected
Charlie (Barcelona) 5 years ago
Oi! A literary trick! My favorite kind of trick!
AbbeyC 4 years ago
It's not acceptable to change someone's words. It's really not acceptable to change someone's words without asking them
I agree abbey,
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 5 years ago
In my opinion, based on the season so far and the players available, my ranking would be as follows:

1. Chelsea: With Drogba and Anelka, you have arguably the premierships most talented striking duo. With Lampard, Ballack, Deco, Malouda, Essien, Obi Mikel, Joe Cole (don't forget about him!), and Zhirkov (wonder how good he will be) attacking from the midfield, you have a solid support and service to the forwards, along with quality finishing themselves. Finally with Bosingwa and Ashley Cole, you have the two best attacking full backs in the league. No way around it, Chelsea are scarily the best attacking team out there.

2. Arsenal: The youth here is impressive, and if they develop even more, they could easily end up the most prolific attacking team in the league. With Arshavin, Van Percy, Eduardo, Fabregas, Nasri, and Walcott the potential is limitless. Is there enough experience to bring it out though? We'll see.

3. Liverpool: Torres is the best striker in the league bar none. Gerrard is immense as well. Though I do not like the team that much, I believe they will recover from this poor start and make a late season push. Serious concern with the loss of Alonso, however.

4. Man United: Rooney, though I severely dislike the man, I respect his talent and he will carry the team on his back this season. Berbatov has never impressed me and will be mediocre this season. There is youth and you can never count the red devils out.

5. Man City: With the amount of money they spent on attacking talent, my gut reaction is they should be higher, but I have serious concerns about the team chemistry and Mark Hughes' managerial skills. They may prove me wrong, but I can't see them having a better attacking team than any in the top 4.

6. Tottenham: With their quick start, and Defoe having the form of his life, the Spurs are a popluar choice to be higher up this list. I, however, believe that not much has changed in the team, and that will show as the season goes on. Modric is class though, and I expect him to have a very good season.

Etc
Liverpool needs to get rid of Lucas. He's really not cutting it right now. I agree with this list as well, but given the season so far, I would put Man United third and Liverpool 4th. I think Man City and Tottenham are a really close 5th and 6th. Once again going by what we seen so far, Tottenham has already shown their attack strength, whereas Man City has yet to display the attack power money can buy, so we're making this assessment based on potential
.... That might have been a more astute observation than my own. Well said CRocks
You give me little but real hope
*Looks at team next to SirH's name. * *Looks at who's ranked first. * *Shakes head. *
SirhCRocks (Chelsea) 5 years ago
Haha, well at least read why I said so. I truly believe they are the best attacking team, and I don't think that would change even if I wasn't supporting them
[account-removed] 5 years ago
Great observations, squad wise I agree that Chelsea have by far the best attacking team but time and time again they struggle to find the right combination so it remains to be seen. Same with City, great attacking squad but we'll see if they "click". Liverpool and Arsenal have a more tried and tested attack force, with Liverpool scoring the most goals last season lets not forget. United are always a threat in the attacking department as long as sir alex remains there, I like Rooney to finally release his full potential this season and who knows about Owen, promising start. Finally Spurs, hard to say, they have a great attacking force on paper but can they keep all their stikers happy and firing?
Yamsy (Liverpool) 5 years ago
Exactly what I did MainEvent....  But Chelsea do have a lot of powerful striking options....
ManUK (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Yea but it's ok to rank Your team high as long as that doesn't put tams like Man Utd so Low
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
In the Epl The spurs got a Very good couple in front line Defoe and keane Know each other for a long time and very good
!
If they both are regular they maybe could be one of the most dangerous strikers in the EPL....
But the others like Manchester City or Arsenal, Chelsea, And less Man united are armed too !
That pretty much means that Pavlyuchenko will be sold...
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
He's good but he can destroy such couple plus the coach Redknapp Know Defoe, Keane as almost is own children lol !
Don't know if he will be sold? He can be a good joker why not makinng an other pair with Crouch during the cup etc...
Roman has been linked with clubs like Roma and others....
I'd also like to see more of the tall & short partnership with Crouch and Defoe, it looks so strange lol....
Wait, he's just been linked to Zenit in a deal around 10mill...
Amayel (PSG) 5 years ago
Welcome back.... Home !
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 5 years ago
I don't think that spurs have the best. But theirs is very very good. Keane Defoe. Both amazing. Then Crouch and Pav. But I think Manchester City have the best. Adebayor and Tevez. Then Ireland SWP Robinho and Barry which is amazing. I hope they don't jell this season. And yes I lost respect from the guy who made this forum
I don't know I just don't see Tevez as a true goal scoring threat, he's like a more talented Ji Sung Park
Me too, I think he's more of a CF, the one that assist instead of scores...
In man city he won't be like that. That is how fergies strikers play
Look at rooney and berba they always track back
Yeah, but he's just not quick enough to be legit threat (tevez that is). He'll score but they'll be hustle goals and poacher goals, not true striking goals I think
Another win for Spurs, a last minute winner from Lennon....  They are currently 2nd, level on points with Chelsea....
I saw, I thought they're 100% record was gone
Sorry, I meant last second winner from Lennon...
Lennon! Is great
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
That was kinda unlucky for Birmingham. Carr slipped the last minute of injury time (90+5 min) and Lennon grabbed the winnder
Incuteration (Everton) 4 years ago
That was kinda unlucky for Birmingham. Carr slipped the last minute of injury time (90+5 min) and Lennon grabbed the winner
I know Yamsy I thought Spurs 100% Record was gone
Haules (Chelsea) 5 years ago
No arsenal has
?
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
?
Very in depth answer, No arsenal has the best Attacking squad is what He means
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Ohh! Good understanding ManUK....  Erm, aint he a Chelsea fan?
Lol, oh
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I still go with City. If they get it right they could win it
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Your gonna' be raining in the valuation dude
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Wait do you mean
LOL he's gonna' take ant's place
On3two (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Fair enough spurs have four striker, and great ones at that. But nevertheless I do not see them breaking into serious ranks for some reason. Lennons great form, Modrics style and the work potential of Jenas shows that Tottenham have really henched up their squad but it would be very optimistic to say that they have the best attacking squad in the premier league
SergioRamos (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Doesent this appear every yeah. Strong favourites first, mid table finishers turnouts. If I remember, last year it was villa, before that it was city.... Before that my mind goes blank
Hmm well we shall see

Kick4Life - changing lives through football