Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Divine Revelation: Who's Better, Messi Or Ronaldo?
14Hesus (Arsenal) 2 years ago
So there I was, in bed, about to slumber when syllabic pilgrims descended and commanded unto me thus:
We are sent by the footballing gods. Gather your laptop and write as you are commanded by gods. Whatever you are commanded is revealed to you by the gods and is not to be argued with, for it is final! The dispute between Messi and Ronaldo shall be settled thus:

Messi vs Ronaldo: Finishing With Feet

Messi is very much left-footed and finishes most of his chances off on that side. He generally occupied the position on the right side of attack after Josep Guardiola took over as Barcelona coach in 2008, but has featured more centrally as time has gone on. Messi is outstanding in one-on-ones, capable of the subtle dink over an advancing goalkeeper, a curled effort into the corner or a piledriver. So many chances come his way in a team that dominates most games that he will miss a few, but it is hard to find fault in Messi’s finishing. 9/10.

Where Messi generally favors brains over braun when faced with the whites of the goalposts, Ronaldo more often than not opts for sheer power. Unlike Messi, the Portuguese star is right footed, but is also adept at finishing on his weaker side. Can be guilty of profligacy, but his goals record speaks for itself. 8/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Finishing With Head

Messi memorably scored the second goal against Manchester United in the 2009 Champions league final with his head. But that was the exception to the rule, and most of La Pulga Atomica’s (The Atomic Flea) goals come from his left foot. 6/10.
Ronaldo scores far more goals with his head, not afraid to go in where it hurts. At 1. 85 meters, Ronaldo is always going to be more effective in the air than Messi, who stands at 1. 65. Ronaldo manages to apply great power to his headers and undoubtedly scores higher in this category. 8/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Free-kicks

Messi is capable of producing exquisite set-pieces that bend past opposing goalkeepers. His free-kicks are again more about finesse than brute force. He perhaps lacks the variation of Ronaldo. 8/10.
Ronaldo’s swerving free-kicks are a thing of beauty. When playing for Manchester United, he revealed that he uses the technique of striking the ball on the valve to get more power and movement. He is also capable of the classic curling free-kick. 9/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Dribbling & Control

Messi is the dribbler extraordinaire and there is no one better in the world at taking on and beating players. The beauty of Messi is that it is not just his pace that takes him past defenders, but his sublime technique, quick feet and balance. He is not the strongest or quickest player in the world, but relies on natural ability to take him past his man. 10/10.
Few players can perform a step-over like CR9, and it is such skill that helps him beat opponents repeatedly. Ronaldo's control is generally excellent, but he relies more on his pace to take him past players than his Argentinean counterpart. 9/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Skill & Technique

Such is Messi’s skill that the ball can appear glued to his feet as he maneuvres himself out of tight situations and finds teammates when it seems he is surrounded. Messi, like Ronaldo, can use the backheel to great effect and also has a penchant for looping the ball over a defender and collecting it on the other side. 10/10.
Ronaldo is more of a showman than Messi and can take the breath away with his array of stepovers and flicks. But in some matches, when the stepovers are taking him nowhere and he is attempting backheels that are not finding team-mates, Ronaldo stands accused of producing style over substance. He is blessed with tremendous natural ability and when on song he is a joy to watch, but he has more ineffectual matches than Messi. 9/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Team Play

One of the reasons Messi has been more successful at club level than international level is that he dovetails so beautifully with Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta. His chemistry with these two is a beauty to behold and there is no one at Barcelona who claims that Messi does not work hard enough or combine well with his teammates. 9/10.
Ronaldo is a player almost beyond reproach but one of the gripes that some teammates have had about him -and certainly sections of the Real Madrid support- is that he can be selfish and too obsessed with making the difference on his own. Ronaldo has been known to shoot from ridiculous angles and distances when teammates are better placed, and will often try to score when there is a superior option to his left or right. Some Real fans have made their frustrations known, and Ronaldo has actually been whistled at the Bernabeu for his individualistic approach. He also has a tendency to show his frustration and petulance towards teammates. 6/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Physical Prowess

Messi is not a big man and can be knocked off the ball by more imposing opponents. However, he is also well capable of holding his own in one-on-ones and often it takes a foul for a defender to knock him off the ball. 7/10.
Ronaldo is a real specimen of a man and has previously claimed to do 1000 press-ups a day as he looks to maintain his washboard stomach. He is a physically imposing player with unquestionable fitness and professionalism in looking after himself. 9/10.

Messi vs Ronaldo: Goal Totals

Over the past five seasons, the players’ cumulative goal returns for club and country have been similar. Ronaldo has moved higher up the pitch and into a more central position as his career has progressed, while Messi is now commonly deployed by Barcelona in the position he can hurt opponents most: central attack. He, like Ronaldo, played deeper earlier in his career but coaches such as Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Josep Guardiola realize that when you possess a player of the class of either of these two, it is wise to position them where they can do the most damage. 9/10 for both.

Conclusion

Messi exerts more influence over more games. Ronaldo has been accused of being a ‘flat track bully’ in the past, effective in the lesser matches but disappearing when it really matters. This may be a harsh assessment, but Messi has produced more performances in the biggest games. The Argentinean scores one more point than the Real Madrid man and edges the battle of Messi vs Ronaldo.

Total:

Lionel Messi: 68/80

Cristiano Ronaldo: 67/80
Acphenom (Borussia Dortmund) 2 years ago
I generally concur with your comments and ratings, although I would say that the recent El Classico put CR7 with a lot of catching up to do. He was absolutely abhorrent, and while Messi wasn't particularly imposing, he still managed to dismantle the opposition with one of his classic runs and put Sanchez through to equalize with consummate ease.

I would also disagree on skills & technique - I actually think that's one area where BOTH men are missing. You regularly see each of them lose the ball in tight situations. Messi requires space and good quality of movement from his surrounding players to make his impact on a game, whereas somebody like say, Zidane could control the most difficult incoming ball, keep it against the most pressing opposition and at the least, earn a foul if there were no options available to him. Oftentimes Messi will simply go for a run and if he doesn't have the space and time, as Madrid did well to deny him during the early part of the recent El Classico, then it can be difficult for him to impose himself on a game.

Ronaldo, I think, is largely the same in that respect
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Another one of these....

Anyways your whole system of rating players is flawed.

Why does it matter if Messi isn't good with his head (which he actually is by the way) when the ball rarely ever gets to that height?

You are also saying that using your head is just as important as using both of your feet which is just absurd.

Now lets talk about physical prowess. Yes Cristiano Ronaldo works out a lot but does it help on the field? Does is ever make a difference when he is fighting for the ball and he suddenly gets pushed over by the wind? Absolutely not.
Cantonaaaa (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I disagree with you, thebarcashow, on headers being given too much importance. It should not be forgotten that to be a great player, you have to excel in every field. And I think that 14Hesus has elaborated on all of them. I'm just saying that I immediately think of Ronaldo's header against Roma in 2008 when I think about headers. With balls like the one he had, no one could have used their feet.
Also, TheBarcaShow, what you said seems a bit forced; it's like you're disagreeing for its own sake. Now, what I wrote is not set in stone (I have to go against the gods on this one); it's argumentative and therefore open to disagreements. That said, if I am to find a 'flaw', I would not go about it the manner you have
Jimmybreeze (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Why is this even debated? Messi is by the far the better player. Just watch him, then just watch Ronaldo. Damn, there is no need for statistics or other s**t like that. It's just one of those things that are. And now look what you've done, you've brought the Ronaldo fanboys out of the woodwork. Just let that s**t be
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Sigh. *copy-pastes*

---
Analysis like these always crack me up. Or make me cry. Something in between really.

What's funny is that you want it to appear a scientific/statistical analysis, and that its credibility comes from itself. But how ridiculous is it to give equal scores on stuff that does not at all happen in equality?

Messi's finishing with his feet is equally important as his heading skill? B******s.

And you can simply not 'add up' a player's skills. Without Messi's agility, he'd be nowhere. Without his skill, he'd be nowhere. Without any of his crucial traits, he'd be nowhere. So if, for example, Messi lacks any skill at all, your analysis would still rate him as a great player.

You can not summarize a player in a few nonsensical data. You'd need about a thousand different stats and subjective data to summarize a player. You never mention consistency, scoring crucial goals, performing in big games, performing under stress.... And yet for all those variables, even a dog can see Messi is a phenomenal player compared to other human players. We have the gift to make a complex analysis based on what we perceive, to then synthesise it into one piece of information. Use it.

We all see Messi's qualities and how they relate to what's important in football, I suggest we leave it at that instead of performing pseudo-scientific surgery on him.
---

This is what I wrote before, and I stick to it. There is SO much wrong with this kind of comparison. This is essentially the same as saying how my mom is better than yours because she's a better cook and wears Prada. It just doesn't make any sense
I was wondering when my old mate Jeroen would show up, haha. And I see you've copy pasted the same failed argument (which I already disproved, so I need not repeat) and added another logical fallacy: false analogy. It is not "essentially the same as saying how my mom is better than yours because she's a better cook and wears Prada. " This is an argument from false analogy. There is no mother of the year award, nor do mothers compete against each other for any such award or bragging rights. This is irrelevant and quite frankly banal. However, players do compete against each other and at the end of the year they are rewarded for their efforts. There is nothing wrong with rating and comparing players. It's how we assess players to see who's better, their strengths and weaknesses and the level at which they are. It's what we football junkies do, haha.
And thanks for your input
JulioFC (Inter Milan) 2 years ago
@Jeroen, You forgot to mention that if it wasn't for the steroids he was fed as a kid by Barcelona, he'd be nowhere.... Lol.

P. S: I enjoy kicking the Hornet's nest. Lmao
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 2 years ago
The Question between them two should be about how Essential Ronaldo/Messi are to their team really. Messi is a better must-have to Barcelona compared to Ronaldo, no doubt.
Real Madrid needed CR during the Classico early in the game: when Madrid was 1-0 up CR7 could have made it 2, but for some reason he missed that chance. Once again he was transparent throughout the rest of the game, and when you see how much fun is having in La Liga, the Fans are obviously expecting a lot from him against a Strong opposition.

Messi has more influence on his team than Ronaldo
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Xavi. Ha. He pulls the strings for Barcelona and allows Messi to do what he does
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I'd have him or iniesta over Messi or Ronaldo any day. There's a reason they're the best team in the world at the moment, and I don't think it's messi
Hill (Arsenal) 2 years ago
I completely agree
Somere (Portmore Utd) 2 years ago
Messi is a better player. But if I had to pick between them, I would pick ronaldo every time
Markodon (NK Dinamo Zagreb) 2 years ago
I think Crouch is better than both of them. He's like Messi but better at headers
Achiox (Manchester United) 2 years ago
I second that!

Seriously though, I think the ultimate test to see "who's better" must be done with an actual scientific process! Example: Just because you made top scorer in the league one season doesn't make you the best striker that season (I. E. Berbatov far from best striker in EPL last season)
Ltm017 2 years ago
I think Messi is good at headers. He just rarely uses his head. Have you seen him in the air? He is like Jordon for football
ManUK (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Please no.... Not again
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Messi, end of discussion...

Kick4Life - changing lives through football