Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Disapoinments From 2011
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 3 years ago
The players who were signed for a heavy transfer fee, or the yougsters who were supposed to be miraculous....
But in the end they had better luck warming the bench. Maybe for you it is a player who started every game, yet didn't show up enough when the moment needed it.

Just because of pure obviousness(in my opinion) I'm going to state fernado torres. Their is still chelsea fans who will try to argue, and, yes, I know, neither Ancholloti(not sure in spelling) or AVB have heavily critisized torres. I believe Ancholotti stayed away from critisism to cover his own tracks

Share your opinion....
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Torres has been the biggest disappointment for me. He hasn't made the impacted I expected since joining and I'm started to regret being excited about him joining Chelsea. Of course earlier this season I thought Torres was slowly returning to his former self once he showed glimpses of his ability but now it looks like AVB is not willing to give him anymore chances in the starting XI

Although I'll admit I haven't seen him play much, from what I've watched Caroll has also been sort of a disappointment for Liverpool since his transfer in January
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
I'd hate to see a lot of youngsters being named. Most youngsters are over-rated (not saying they aren't good) and need the time to develop. Putting pressure on them is just going to stunt growth
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 2 years ago
It's usually the media that does this, over-hyping these players to be the next big thing which raises everyone's expectations for them to become stars
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 3 years ago
I agree with caroll but he has not played much to sho his worth
Yeah, the same is happening to Torres now. Ever since that red card Torres has barely been given much game time at all
Cantonaaaa (Manchester United) 3 years ago
I think AVB chooses not to put Torres on the field because of his performances (in games AND training). I don't think it has to do with the red card
Yeah but ever since that red he hasn't gotten a goal or a start. With Drogba and Kalou leaving for ACN in January Torres will finally have his chance. I just hope he won't blow it
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
@Footyrulz. Erm he got two starts against Genk and Valencia in the champions league, and Arsenal in the prem, and Liverpool in the CC. He scored twice against Genk also
Many starts*
Wesblitz (Manchester City) 2 years ago
Wow, so for torres has been the olny one in this discution
Jeroen (Barcelona) 2 years ago
Chelsea's defensive display, United's midfield, Arsenal's everything (during the first two months of the season), the entire Inter squad, Dortmund's European games and Villarreal's entire season so far.

Those are the disappointments for me. I don't like picking out individuals, because I firmly believe it's rarely ever the performance of one player that makes a team play badly. Torres can be considered a disappointment, but the same can be said about most of the Chelsea squad in many of their games. Rooney's performances in the last two months haven't been great either, but that's because the United midfield are so clueless he has to drop deeper to offer some creativity
Well said. I like your point on how not to blame idividuals. I still think that players who are expected to be the best but they don't preform can still be considered a 'disapointment' which can be make difference. The inter squad started off bad but as of late they have been grinding out results
Manchester teams' preformances in uefa champs league
That would probably depend on who you ask. I'm sure Blatter and Platini aren't one bit disappointed
Good point
Mikel was a huge disappointment for me I expected him to step up when players like Essien were injured but he has failed to do that. Joe Cole has also been quite a disappointment for me. I expected him to perform well but he has done the opposite of that
TheBarcaShow (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Joe Cole is doing well in France though
Double post
But overall in this calendar year he has performed below m expectations for him. I was hoping he would find the same form he showed during his time with Chelsea
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
Hmm. Well to start off with Lille and Dortmund in the Champions League. I thought they were going to cause some upsets and bring some attacking football to the Champions League which they failed to do.

Manchester United's perfomance in their group. I expected them to go through with ease but instead they made life way to difficult on themselves sometimes.

Fernando Torres has been a disappointment only bcuz of his price tag. If some1 is worth 50 million then he should be doing what Van Persie is doing for Arsenal. He should be scoring goals for fun. But unfortunatly he has not.

The Copa America was also a disappointment. That was really the most boring tournament I can remember watching since I started watching Football. The quality of football was at times very very poor!

Andy Carroll for me has been the biggest disappointment since he is a liverpool player. He is our most expensive player and the most expensive English player ever and he is yet to reach double figures for us yet. At times it seems like he is not even trying on the pitch. And we seem to play way better with out him

Yeah after an amazing season I expected much more this year from Dortmund
Georgio (Bayern München) 2 years ago
Dortmund
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Very well put
Yogan (Chelsea) 2 years ago
Just decided to post some writing on here. I think Torres obvs but Andy Carroll to, for £35 million he really hasn't made an impact
Luxinlazors (Tottenham Hotspur) 2 years ago
Just posting something other than Carroll and Torres. For me it has to be Adel Taarabt. Boy turned out to be nothing but a bag of flicks and tricks. All talk and no show. Which was frankly disappointing cause I thought he was gonna' bring some cheeky flair and trickery to the EPL. Oh well
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 2 years ago
True. I was expecting him to be a rising star in the prem. And he said he was going to prove to spurs that they were wrong to let him go but so far he has not
I had high expectations for him but I guess he turned out to be another over-hyped player
SongkyKong (Manchester United) 2 years ago
Agreed. All the hype and no goals no assists in the premier league? Even Torres and Carroll have done better HAHA
But Torres and carroll were signed for large amounts of money. I don't think there was as much pressure on Taarabt as there was on them to perform well

Kick4Life - changing lives through football