Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Deco - The Right Man To Turn To?
Thomas1978 (Liverpool) 4 years ago

Well, I am currently watching the Sunderland - Chelsea game at the moment and I am not sure if Deco is the right man to start in midfield. So far (after 30 mins), Chelsea are a goal down just like they were vs Hull on Sat.

They are having loads of the ball but not creating much. I can see why a continental manager like Deco in the team, he is a good ball player and he has good vision. However, I have doubts if he is right for the Barclay's Premier League. He definitely is more suited to the La Liga or the Series A where more emphasis is placed on technical abilities and players have more time on the ball due to the slower pace of the games.

Deco was Mourinho's star player at Porto, however when Mourinho signed on at the Bridge, he never wanted to bring Deco along with him. Guess Mourinho was smart enough to see Deco may not fit in.

===
Please follow my soccer blog. Thanks for all support.

Link: lets-talk-soccer.blogspot.com
Riggs (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Just because mourinho didn't bring deco with him doesn't mean he didn't want him.
Actually, he was very close to joining chelsea around that time - right after Jose signed on.... Bayern munich were also interested in him.

I hadnt seen much of deco outside of epl, and playing for portugal. And what I've seen of him has never impressed me. Not to mention I find his face ugly and babyish. He always looks like he is on the verge of tears. For chelsea I think its him or ballack. They are both old and past their prime. Neither's playstyles can survive inside the epl.
Odiz9 (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Initially I doubted Deco ability to fit in to Chelsea's system, but with evidence of today's game against sunderland, Deco def deserves a place on the squad. As you have mentioned he had great technical ability and visions, regardless of the league I believe if you excel with these traits you can contribute.... And he did with great passes, holding the ball well and to top it off a nice goal. Although a Red Devil I have respect for his demeanor and capabilities on the pitch
[account-removed] 4 years ago
We're we watching the same sunderland vs. Chelsea game or something because from what i've seen today and even last season deco has the ability to make chances out of nothing. Real creative abiltity, real good player and I think even a real good premier league player
Yamsy (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Well now, Mourinho wants him back.... Inter were chasing Deco in the transfer window, but rumours of that have gone silent now...
Xybati (Manchester United) 4 years ago
Deco is a good player, I think he just need time to adjust in England...
Well, he scored a very nice curler against Sunderland, which could boost his confidence more....
That should help bring out his true ability....
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
I hope so I wanted us to get aguero and ribery but it doesn't seem likely
Raf (Atletico Belo Horizonte) 4 years ago
Deco is an amazing player but he has been unrecognizable for a while, but I do believe it is simply a matter of getting situated along his teammates, getting used to the pitches and pace of the EPL and getting accustomed to the life there as well, which is very important psychologically. The truth is that a lot of players that leave from places like Brazil, Spain, Portugal, etc, find it hard to adapt in England because of the greater differences in Language, culture, weather, etc, so many of them go through a rather depressive stage of adaptability which can become aggravated depending on the player's psychological adaptability and on how their morale reacts to their initial performances. Deco came following Scolari, which had been like a father and mentor through his life, so a few comprehensively not so good performances when he was still adapting, followed by the firing of Scolari, and the loss of his place in the first team, created a cocktail of negativity which greatly impacted his morale. I do believe that it is up to Ancelotti to make Deco feel like he is part of the team and really capitalize on his potential, which is great. He is most definitely not an overrated player, you can't deny the technical beauty of his style.

You can't say cocktail?  
There's no doubt he's a good player, just maybe he's not suitable for the Prem...
Kimaway17 (Liverpool) 4 years ago
I agree. He's style fits Italy and Spain
A playmaker like him needs time to hold the ball up, and yet he doesn't have a solid physique to do it in the fast paced and strong challenging Premier League...
That is true, I do consider the idea that maybe the EPL isn't the best place for him because it is too fast, fields too small, and he does need that extra time and space to focus and really put to work his vision, still, I think he might be able to adapt with the right team and tactics. I'm hoping Ancelotti will bring an answer
Yea, if Ancelotti can play the right tactics through him, he can thrive at Chelsea...
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Only those with the most nerve and ignorence can really doubt his ability technically and his vision. Plus his long shots are really something to be amazed at. But he's slow and not the strongest player physically which makes him an easy target in the premiere league. But at the moment with zhirkov and joey cole out we really need someone with some spark and I think deco is the only one on our team with that at the moment. Therefore he deserves a spot on the team for now until our other creative players come back from injury
Elucari (Liverpool) 4 years ago
Deco is a smart player and will always be of value to any team
He aint getting any younger, at 31, after a few years he might hang up his boots....
You think he'll retire at Chelsea? Or will he go back to Portugal?
LAblaugrana (Barcelona) 4 years ago
Deco is the most complete player I have ever seen. If Chelsea want to win something this year they will play him. I think the doubts about his ability to play in the premiership are rubbish.

I hope the people here who say players like Deco aren't suited to the premiership are consistent in their views, and will likewise criticise Fabregas, Modric, Benayoun, Arteta, Etc.

All Deco needs to succeed is for his teammates to trust him with the ball and pass it to him occasionally
How could the ones you listed be the same? They are far younger, and more agile and quick.... Deco is a great player, but needs time, these players don't take so much time unless their dribbling with it...
LAblaugrana (Barcelona) 4 years ago
You said a playmaker like him needs a physique to hold up the ball. All of these are small technical players like him. They are younger, and have a step on him, sure, but pace never made his game or theirs. It is their technical ability and vision that make them great, and Deco has those in spades. My comparison is valid
Santillanavila (Tottenham Hotspur) 4 years ago
Deco is crap but he will prove us wrong
Yic0ng (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Deco definently fits in perfectly into the diamond formation. Lets trust carlo. But again deco is only invincible when he is at barca
Kingsickhead (Chelsea) 4 years ago
Deco is a decent player now. Very far from what he use to be. It Woudnt hurt us if he left
VanPersie (Arsenal) 4 years ago
I love deco and always have he is a bit like nani he scores absolutley screamers but is not that consistent. I think that Ancelotti should defintley give him a chance he is brilliant at dead ball sitiuations can pass well and can defiently strike the ball
Maybe just as a super sub...
Maybe just as a super sub...
Phearos (Arsenal) 4 years ago
Maybe deco style of play does not choose chelsea. He has good vision and passes the ball well. His strikes are also good what else can you expect from a mid fielder. He is an intelligent player

Kick4Life - changing lives through football