Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Could A Female Manager Ever Manage A Male Football Club?
Crumpeteer (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Can a woman be a manager? Heck yes. Will one any time in the near future? I doubt it. I've seen plenty of women coaches who have done amazing things (like Pat Summit), but they don't bridge over to men's sports and I think it has everything to do with the players not wanting to listen and management being quick to think that women don't understand the "male" form of the game (though they don't seem to consider that male coaches of women's teams are the exact same thing). There's a lot of sexism in sports and even as it starts to go away in other parts of society I think sports will be one of the last hold outs
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yeah I agree that there is sexism and people seem to think that females don't understand the "male" form of football even though to me its not really that different
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Why not.... I mean if men are managing football teams why can't it be the other way around.... I bet a woman could motivate players better anyway.... Lol
YounGunz (Arsenal) 3 years ago
No chance. In every race, in every religion and in every culture women are generally viewed as inferior to men. So unfortunately the thought of a female manager succeeding in todays game is just far fetched.... Refer to the whole Richard Keys and Andy Gray debacle over Sian Massey (?) for further insight. We won't see this work until we as a species put prejudice behind us as we evolve. Fortunately Women are coming into their own and equality is becoming more apparent in work environments and domestically, so maybe it will only be another 20 years minimum before we see this happen
YounGunz (Arsenal) 3 years ago
Sorry I didn't read the question properly (lol). I meant 'No chance' in todays game.... Basically agreeing with you 100% Crumpeteer
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
A key point that hasn't been mentioned is that Managers are expected to have experience of playing the game. If 'the game' means male professional football then the experience requirement would prevent all women from becoming managers of professional football clubs.

From a tactical point of view it seems like a crazy strategy to exclude half of the population, especially when there aren't that many persons who can be said to have mastered what is a difficult job
LumpOfCelery (Chelsea) 3 years ago
But males coach womens football all the time
Icancalmdown (Liverpool) 2 years ago
This is truly frustrating. I feel as if the barriers for this happening are incredibly high, but this really makes no sense whatsoever.

There are women managing entire countries!

Angela Merkel is doing, depending on what your views are, a great job running Germany. If she can understand how to run a country, then there should be no problem in women understanding how to run a country.
On the other hand, stigma and media pressure that a female manager might face cannot possibly be any tougher than that Angela Merkel faces.

Ultimately I think it will take more time because females are warming up more and more to the sport. Decades ago only men watched it and today its associated with males too. "Guys go watch football. " This site though shows, there are plenty of babes sincerely interested in football and its great that they are crossing barriers.

Perhaps.... Just like that 21-year old from Azerbaijan that won a manager's position due to his skills in the video game Football Manager, there is a girl out there honing her skills in the manager mode of fifa13, so that one day she gets to manage Madrid, Barca, or United....
Please keep it up ladies.
Peteko 2 years ago
I'd love to see it happen but I doubt that we will see it in the next ten years. There is much more chance that a male manager will one day show up for the game wearing a dress.

I would certainly root for any club with a female manager. It will be an interesting change.

Do you think women would offer a different style of football? Do they feel naturally closer to Barca's approach instead of let's say Chelsea's? Would they be more responsible in the market and prefer to move homegrown players (maternal instinct)? Or would they go in shopping spree during the transfer window?

More importantly when is footytube going to have its first woman moderator?
LadyGunner (PSG) 1 year ago
It would fantastic if there was female football manager. There some excellent coaches and manager out there. The you. S. A. Women manager was awesome. Pia Sundhage! There is Karren Brady of course and Hope Powell.
But sadly there players, fans and the English media(which loves stirring up drama) which will show little no respect

Kick4Life - changing lives through football