Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Could A Female Manager Ever Manage A Male Football Club?
Nkrumah (Arsenal) 3 years ago
There so many male manager in women football Vic Akers manager of Arsenal ladies Paul Mortimer manager of
Charlton Athletic L. F. [C.] (ladies) but do you think female can be a manager of male football team.
Foos56 (Barcelona) 3 years ago
Yes, but I think that shouldn't imply the lack of a double standard, which would surely be placed upon a female in that role. She would have to know her football strategy inside and out and have a thick skin. Not to say that male managers should not desire those traits in themselves, but a female manager would be allowed much less breathing room for bad results, in my opinion
Ant (Liverpool) 3 years ago
I think she would be damned before she even started because
1. If she lost games, people would say its her fault because she didn't understand the game
2. If she won games, people would say the team are doing well, she is getting great support

There is a huge amount of prejudice against women in 'mens' football as we recently saw with the Sky Sports incidents. Even if 99% of in private, you know that all the opponents would tease the team with the female manager.... There'd be insulting photoshops.

If it was to work, she would have to be twice as a good as a male manager at her level to earn the same respect, but unfortunately that's true of a lot of jobs. I'd like to see it
Borg (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Ant, you're pic accents your post nicely lol
I will assume you mean managing a pro male team. I think there are definitely women in the world who have the knowledge of the game and are more than capable in that respect. But, when you look at society today, women still don't make the same wages in a job compared to a man who is equally qualified, just one example of how women are not treated equally. Also, they would have to be able to deal with the thought that many people would criticize at the slightest mistakes and conclude that it was all due to gender. Also, unfortunately in today's society, I don't think a woman would be able to command the respect of the team regardless of her qualities as a leader. So I guess that's a no
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Yes it could happen but It would a very difficult job as they would have to handle a lot pressure to be able to work properly. It would a really strong minded woman to be able to do the job
Kingcharlesiv (Tottenham Hotspur) 3 years ago
If footballers were a group of well-educated men then yes it could be done. But let's face it, like Bord said, it would be hard for a woman to command respect of the team.

Who could see the likes of Ashley Cole listening to anyone with two X chromosomes?
Exactly my point
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Lol. Are the men of any sport a group of "well-educated men"? Maybe Chess!
Squash!
[account-removed] 3 years ago
Sadly, I'd quite agree with Ant on the Photoshops problem. There'd just be too many of those, and they'd spread like wildfire cause of the prominence of the person. One can't just blame teenagers, a lot of people just haven't "grown up". Not just that, look at a lot of players who've been "visiting" other people. They laugh at the reports and get on with it. Maybe a little rap on the knuckle. If the same thing happens to a woman.... Heck even if she's seen with two different guys on a date in the same week, the media would be on it as if the world's about to end.

It could be possible to have a woman pro football manager, but its a long long way away. First, woman's football needs to gain some prominence. When people start accepting that women's football is really football that has tactics and skill involved, and not just some women running around a ball. Maybe then, people can accept that women know just as much as men about football, and sometimes quite a bit more
Even today sexism and prejudice exists, there are plenty more Andy Grays so I wouldn't expect to see a women managing a pro male team anytime soon
Georgio (Bayern München) 3 years ago
Boobs are cool.... But sadly I just don't see it working out, too many things going against them, the players probably wouldnt care they might actually be even better coached by a mother figure, but the media will butcher her for every bad call, for every missed opportunity, for every loss, tie.... Etc.... IF the fans get angry itll take just one second before the sexist remarks start flying, rude remarks images and other things of that nature will be on forums, itll take a tough cookie to deal with it
Zlatan94310 (PSG) 3 years ago
Yeah why not, as long as she has a good approach of the game (knowing that mens football is faster and more complex) it`s all good.
Women involved in Football have been used to playing alongside mens, and with passion and determination to get results, managing a team can be possible
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
I don't see it happening. There are no coaches of lower level, so I don't how a woman would get to be manager, when women are completely absent in this side of the industry.
Yes, now that there I have seen a female ref assistant I believe that we might soon have a female referee. Similarly when I see women in the coaching staff, I'll believe that female managers will become a reality one day.
If you ask me, women who want to be manager should start by taking over these positions in the female clubs and national teams
Juventusfc (Juventus) 3 years ago
Why not even thopugh it pobably won't happen might like many people say "women are smarter then men". Prove it I mean remember the time when andy gray went crazy for have a woman official she got all her calls right We'll see
I think even some of the womens teams have male managers. So if there really are women that want to manage a male pro team then maybe they should start building up experience and a reputation coaching female teams first
Pragathish (AC Milan) 3 years ago
Why not?
Rosella Sensi, Roma's chairperson is responsible for all things Gilarossi, from managing funds to transferring players. She's almost doing a Galliani.
And word's on the air that AC Milan will be under the care of Barbara Berlusconi in the future.

Clear that they do have the ability to mark their presence in this game. I surely believe they CAN manage a team as good as men
Hill (Arsenal) 3 years ago
I don't think she would have to worry about the media or fans being disrespectful/hateful. The bigger bridge that needs crossing is the one with the players. If she can command respect from the players then there is no reason she shouldn't be able to manage a pro mens team. But she has to be 100% supported from the top of the organization on down. If she is not, then players would get away with disrespectful and snide comments etc. Harsh punishment would have to be allowed by her on the players-and I think that would be a joy to watch. I'm all for it happening
Yeah if they can command respect from the players then they should be able to do the job but I still don't think it's going to happen

Kick4Life - changing lives through football