Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Chelsea - Find The Cause, Make The Corrections!
JustGary (Manchester United) 3 years ago
In July Chelsea were celebrating being Champions, whilst by October Chelsea were celebrating: a +24 goal difference, being on top of the league and great prospects in both domestic and European competitions. The current form is a shock to fans, commentators and observers alike.... There have been game to game complaints and many theories from Roman to Ray and from Age to Anelka.

BUT

1) What is the explanation for the Champions recent but extended run of poor results?

2) What three (3) things would you do (as owner or manager) to resurrect the season?
Marcinny (New York Red Bulls) 3 years ago
Maybe it is just a coincidence, but things went downhill from the moment that Wilkins was sacked. A club cannot fall just because of one man, but I suspect that it suddenly put a dent in the collective trust in the club. A sense of insecurity transmitted down from Carlo to the players.

I am not very clear what happened in the Wilkins saga, but the cliche "don't try to fix it if it is not broken" seems to be quite adapt for what happened with Chelsea. Why sack the top 2 in a golden time? Why mess with stability of the team when everything is going fine.

1) Fast buys in January
A) A new striker: Drogba is getting old and fast. Anelka is good, but moody therefore unreliable. Kalou was groomed to be the new world star in a blue shirt, but he is letting his club down when it is his time to step up to the plate. Sturrige is not ready yet.
Basically, they should fight for Torres or anyone of this level with a fury similar to the one shown by City when they again beat everyone by grabbing Dzeko. Roman has the means.
Be) Similarly in midfield: there is a gap between the old grand generation and the new talents. What did Mikel and others do while Lampard was injured? Ramires? Great start but then.... You need a new accomplished talent there to give the team some depth. It is going to be a long season and Chelsea has been suffering already.
See) Defense: Please Cahill, Subotic etc. Pair Terry better, let someone grow near him to take his place one day.

2) Give Ancelotti full power in his decisions or sack him. It makes no sense to sell players he didn't want to sell, or make changes in the club staff over his head. SAF, Harry, Arsene are all masters of their domains. Don't mess with the manager's authority in the club.

3) This may seem stupid, but start an open debate about the near future of Chelsea. Is there a vision? Is Roman willing to spend for new titles? Is there a plan for a better academy? It seems like the end of an era, but there is little willingness to accept the sacrifices of the transition. There was hope and belief for one more before the crumble, but it did not work. Now what?
Marcinny, its interesting that you mention Wilkins because his departure seems to be the only change from a high flying Chelsea to an under-performing Chelsea. I think your three actions make a lot of sense. It will be interesting to see what happens during the transfer window
Theo (Chelsea) 3 years ago
1. Don't fire Ancelotti. I know when things are not going the right way, it is very easy to always blame the coach.... But I am blaming the players, people like Drogba, Anelka, Kalou and Mikel. If they had not made silly mistakes in games, we could still be atop the league atm. And it was not Carlo that missed a last minute penalty against Spuds, or let Alex Song of all people score against us, or gave A. Villa a penalty out of nothing. Roman should just let him keep his job and turn this sinking ship around, instead of getting Rafa as replacement lol

2. Get new players. This one is a certainty, there is no way we can last any longer with this squad we have now. We are short on subs, and our bench is consisted of 17-19 year olds who still need more time before they are inserted into the First team. Our Midfield is looking weaker by the minute, with Lampard still trying to recover and Essien.... Don't know what the hell has happened to the Bison lol. But more importantly we need a CB like Marcinny pointed out, preferably Cahill or Samba, because of they have already been in the Premier league, and will not need any time to adapt to the country or the league. Then we badly need a "real" Right back/Winger, playing Anelka and Kalou on the right is a waste of time as they can't even get past their man, and they can't cross either.

3. Get a new assistant: When Ray was fired, Roman promoted Michael Emenalo to assistant. But the shocking thing is, Emenalo has no experience whatsoever at the position, and Carlo does not even consult him during games like he does with Ray. It will be very difficult to ask ray to come back for sure, but we can simply get Zola for the position, or better yet get Paulo maldini
Thanks for mentioning the Right Back. Imagine another Ashley Cole on the right. It would be a new reinvigorated and unpredictable Chelsea.
And yes, without an assistant chosen and trusted by Carlo, Chelsea will never get up again. Bad atmosphere in the staff will fatally be reflected on the team spirit
I agree, and imo we need to get a new assistant before even concentrating on other things. Just the sight of Emenalo on the bench pisses me off, because he never does anything apart from give a hand shake to the players that have been substituted lol. We need someone who can help Carlo with tactics, and someone that Carlo can trust!
Also about the Right back, we have been linked to Darijo Srna (can't spell it right) but he is awesome and would be a far better choice than the 2 right backs we have at the moment!
Adamaus (Manchester United) 3 years ago
Imo they need a new player in the squad if only just to bring some inspiration and fresh style
Blueskiesahead (Chelsea) 3 years ago
Agreed. It needs to be someone who is truly gifted though. It doesn't need to be someone who is world renowned, but someone who can truly inspire the team to greater heights
I just don't understand why Chelsea would need a new player to get inspired. The fact that they are playing for one of the greatest club in England should be enough inspiration for them. Of course the millions in their pockets should help too.

I think that at least 3 players if not 4 are needed ASAP for this team, but the inspiration, the drive, the hunger and ambition should come from the existing key players, leaders like Lampard and Terry and from the young ones who should take the chances to become the new stars for their club and country
I've only seen the highlights from the last couple of matches so I really can't answer these questions. Have Chelsea made any changes in player selection, team formation or style of play? What are they winning and will it last or is it just a blip?
I've been pretty harsh on King Carlo ever since he was appointed as Chelsea manager I'll be totally honest, and I still don't think that he is right for our club. He is a terrific manager, but if our goal really is to develop our youth effectively as our board has been saying lately then we need a manager who is willing to use those youngsters. Any manager who does that though, needs to know how to use their substitutions, as just about any time you use young, inexperienced players, there is that element of unpredictability and even inconsistency. Thus, you need to be able to fix the mistakes that those young players will make. Carlo clearly can not do that. His substitutions are terrible. I'm not saying we should go about things the same way that Arsenal has over the past few years, but when half your first team is missing through injury/suspension and those remaining are on poor form, and the replacements (Ramires, Kalou, Paulo Ferreira, etc.) are not performing with a month's worth of chances, it is time to take a gamble. That said, I AM NOT suggesting we sack Carlo right now. That would do nothing for our season but hinder it further. I do however think he should go at the end of the season, as to be honest, I don't think he should have been appointed in the first place (he does have a history of placing too much faith in older players after all).

Now the reason for our decline is not a result of Carlo's management. Far from it (though I do place the blame on him for the length of time that we have remained in this slump and how we have dealt with it). Rather, our slump has been the result of several factors occurring at the same time:
1) Injuries to Lampard, the Bison, Alex, Terry, and Benayoun who could have done a lot to replace Lamps and give us a bit of creativity.
2) Drogba and Anelka’s loss of form has left us with very little goal-scoring capacity. Last season I would have been the first to defend Anelka, but right now, he is just a waste of space (with the exception of that most recent Sunderland match).
3) The sacking of Ray Wilkins came at a terrible time to help speed up the process of going into our slump.

This combination has clearly done quite a bit of work on weakening our team. Several other things have happened as a result of these three reasons to further weaken the team. For example, Malouda’s poor performances recently are likely due to fatigue after having to cover for both Lampard’s absence and the poor form of Anelka. The situation as already mentioned wasn’t fixed soon enough by Ancelotti, and now we have effectively lost our “air of invincibility. ” This means that this ship is much harder to right than it was two months ago.

Of course, all is not hopeless. There are several steps we can take to fix this situation. First, Ancelotti has got to put some faith in the youth. Yes, they are unpredictable, and perhaps some aren’t even ready yet. However if you look at the game against Wolves, it is easy to see that many in the first team have lost faith in themselves and even seem to have lost the desire to win. The youth may not succeed, however they will surely put their whole hearts in it. Typically the youth brought up by a club are more passionate about the club than those bought by the club. Despite that, they still have something to prove, thus adding to that drive to do well both individually and collectively. Keep Cech, Terry, Bane, Cole, and Lampard on the pitch for sure. The rest should be benched (unless Mikel is back from injury). Ramires may have also won himself a spot in the lineup with his recent performances. Let’s also hope that these two new signings help both raise the confidence within the camp, and add a little something extra on the pitch. Torres is an out and out goal scorer – the type of player that we have been missing for the past few seasons, and Luiz will add a bit of mettle and creativity to the back line.

We can still win this EPL title back boys, but we can’t make anymore mistakes. We basically need to go undefeated for the rest of the season, and can afford very few losses. That run must start now though, against Liverpool. Let’s see how this almost new-look Chelsea performs
HangTime (Chelsea) 3 years ago
{Like}
Looks like we have done 2 of the 3 things I suggested Don't fire Carlo - Roman made the perfect decision to stick with the Italian, his track record alone speaks for himself, and tbh I really don't want to see him go. He led us to our best season EVER, why should we get rid of him so quickly?

Get new players - Another brilliant move by Roman, we need a spark in attack and he went out and got one of the best strikers in the world. Say what you want about Torres (injuries, out of form, sulky, traitor) you cannot deny his talent, and when his mind is right he is just unstoppable (ask Vidic lol) And we also got David Luiz, who is one of the best young Centre Backs out there, I still think we over paid a little.... But if he can play like he has been doing recently, then it is surely money well spent.

Now all that is left, is too get an assistant that Carlo will trust and take advice from
And to get two or three of the big name players imposing themselves on the game once again. Essien hasn't been the on the pitch leader he used to be since his injuries - not as many forward runs; I'm not sure if this is due to a new system
Luiz made some good tackles today.
Seems like Torres has no heart.
Drogba, who is my favorite striker is starting to piss me off.
We need something more creative from the middle.

Liverpool defended well today. Chelsea couldn't do much but to go outside and try a cross in
Luiz was a breath of fresh air yesterday. Every time he touched the ball, you could tell that he wanted to win that game, that he believed that we still could win that game, yet he still remained composed. I believe that he has brought just the right mentality to get us going again. We just need a midfield player with that same mentality, and in my opinion, that player is josh mceachran
Yeah, Luiz is that good.
I agree that we need a new player in the middle. Maybe not McEachran yet, but something new. Lampard is not that creative, he can score though. Essien, Rameriz, and Mikel are all defensive minded players. Chelsea can't just rely on counter attacks to score
I totally agree. However, at the same time, I don't think we should buy anyone. I think we should just wait until mceachran is ready, or buy someone who is aging (never thought I would say that) like pirlo (sounds like he will be free in the summer anyways). I do believe that josh will be a top quality player in the future, and I don't want to see us squander that
FootyRulz (Chelsea) 3 years ago
I don't think adding old players to our already old enough squad will help although I'd love to see pirlo playing for us if we can get him
Pirlo? I was actually thinking about someone with better dribbling abilities. Someone to dribble up the middle, dribble at the other team's defence and play that short final through ball for a goal. Pirlo is a good long ball passer.

Torres pissing me off now.... Lol. Drogba actually played well today. He did not get close to scoring but he was getting the ball and playing it off. And that's the job of a target man up top. I really thought Ancelotti was going to try the diamond mid field in the second half today against Fulham and he should had done that.
Ramires, Lampard and Essien did well today in the middle. 5th place is unacceptable.
Luiz was so awesome today other than the pk.
Cech is player of the season. Has a goal keeper ever gotten that before? Not sure...
Looks like we blew it big time against liverpool, that was our chance to get back in the race. I doubt man utd are likely to lose another game soon. If united take 3 points against city then there is no chance we will be able to catch them. If united are to slip up again we must make sure that we make no mistakes this time
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
To my mind I think anchelotti needs to stop trying to accomodate torres, drogba and anelka, theres not the room in the team for the 3 of them, and chelsea are suffering in the wide positions due to this, so most of the play is coming through the middle.
They need to get wide, and have the balls to leave anelka out, he would be my choice to warm the bench
I agree. Anchelotti cannot play players who are use to be a target player or striker as wide forwards. Those wide positions are not for Kalou, Sturridge, Anelka.... It's a position for Malouda though. Anelka, Torres, Drogba are target players/strikers.
Players I dream to play in those wide position for Chelsea are Ribery, Robben, Navas, Sanchez,
Tony (footytube staff) 3 years ago
We all dream hang time, we all dream
Great point Tony. It seems to me that Carlo is afraid of Anelka. He knows what happened with Domenech. Lol.
But seriously, he needs to feed better Torres and Drogba and should I say this again: with all that money spent, they should have coughed a little bit more and get someone like Pienaar.
What is the situation with Zhirkov and Benayoun? Oh, how much Chelsea have needed them in the last weeks. I'd take them before Torres
Carlo is still of the belief that he can get acomodate the formation to suit Torres and drogba. It will take some to time for the side as they have been used to playing withna 433 formation for mostof the season so far
The problem might not be Torres and Drogba together but the attacking mid position. Someone who is creative and good enough to dribble at the back line and give drogba and torres something to work with
After Liverpool drew with Wigan. This game was a game Torres could prove to everyone that he made a good move to Chelsea instead of staying at Liverpool (despite the lost to Liverpool last weekend). But he blew it again...
Although he played a bit better than in the match against Liverpool tbh he hasn't really done much since his move and even though its only been 2 games we did spend 50m on him and we really need him to start performing to justify his massive price tag. But luiz had a great game and is proving to be a great defender
Jawn (Liverpool) 3 years ago
Almost seems as if you guys bought him expecting him to do more than he was doing at Liverpool. While Torres obviously has made a name for himself, he did that previously at Liverpool and has struggled to find form this entire season. He didn't exactly marvel anybody at the World Cup either, but something if a player has a high price, Chelsea seems to want them. I don't think anybody BUT Chelsea would have tried to take Torres in based on this season's form, regardless of whether or not they had the money. This is just my opinion, but disregarding the price paid, I think you [Chelsea] shouldn't be too surprised that you bought a player who is performing no differently (if not worse) than he was in the club he came from.

Tragically, I strongly believe that Torres' best performance of the season was against Chelsea. He's put in 1 goal that I feel is of Torres quality and the rest have kinda just been tap-in's or things you would expect much less rated players than Torres to sink. That goal was the curler that left Cech standing still, but I wouldn't expect a ton of those in the future
Raj (Chelsea) 3 years ago
What's clear after the defeat to Liverpool is that we are well and truly out of the title race now. The list of reasons as to why we've not been performing includes most notably the sacking of Ray Wilkins and the injuries incurred through the middle of the season, as Chelseaman and Blueskies have noted.

The sacking of Butch was one of the worst things the board could've done. Ray bought about a sense of collective calm with a typified English presence in the camp, and was most importantly a liaison between the coach and the players. Carlo noted this in his autobiography when he said Wilkins had a massive role in helping the club achieve the double and he couldn't have done it without him. First big mistake, although we were already hitting a bad patch of form in November and he was sacked on the last day of the month. Didn't help matters either way. The board took him for granted, took Carlo for granted thinking that he'd be able to manage as efficiently as he did last season, despite losing experienced players who came in at vital times during the season like Deco and Belleti. Out of Carlo's hands this one.

The other worrying fact is that 4 of the club's most promising prospects were all loaned out in Jan. This only goes to show that Carlo has no intent of slotting in the youth into the team as all he's going to do is play the most established players in order to salvage the season in some way. If he was planning for the future, he'd be slowly bringing in the youngsters into the fold, which isn't the case anymore than it was in the beginning of the season, one has to presume that he's looking for the best outcome with the usual list of players that he toys with. With Ranieri's position in Roma looking suspect, and Carlo openly stating that he'd like to manage Roma at some point in the future, its also possible that he's got an eye cast elsewhere.

Do not want Carlo to go, as a young manager he's still got plenty of learning to do, granted - but he's a quality manager who we're fortunate enough to have. However, it wouldn't surprise me if he does leave in the summer with a trigger-happy owner.

As it stands right now, the top 4 finish is what the club and the supporters are looking for. Anything short, is a unacceptable with the team of players we have.

Agree with what you say. We should target for at least a champions league spot. As for trophies we should fully concentrate on the champions league now as that is our only hope of any major silverware this season
Champions league has become a must now for Chelsea, but their confidence seems fatally shut down
I can't believe it, we've lost to everton again. We really should have held on for the win in extra time. Now we have to win the champions league which I highly doubt we will unless we improve our form

Kick4Life - changing lives through football