Forums / The Stands: Intelligent Footy Debate
Order: Newest / Oldest
Champions League Or International?
Matt (Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
With the first round of Champions League games due to night it occoured to me that I now look forward to these matches more so than the big internationals.

I have to add the caveat that nothing compares to watching my home team or even my disappointing home nation. However when it comes to the best neutral experience I think the Champions League has overtaken what was once considered to be the pinnacle of football.

The teams in the Champions League (from now on ill call it the champions league to save my RSI) have the best players in the world right now. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few players playing outside of the champions league that would bring the required quality.

International teams have always been seen as the very best in the world but really outside of Spain and Germany which teams would stand a chance against Manchester City or Real Madrid? And they didn't even make the final last year.

I mention Real and City as they play this evening. I have no affinity with either team but I will glued to my TV hoping to witness one of those classic champions league games with a level of skill on display cheering on every goal regardless of which team scores it. Something that has rarely happened at international level.

So where do you stand would you rather see nations or national champions?
GreatScot (Rangers)(Footytube Staff) 2 years ago
Definitely Champions League for me Matt.

Internationals don't hold the same excitement or drama that they used to, I would be far more likely to rush home from work to catch the end of Real v City than I would be to watch Scotland take on someone especially when we don't even play strikers anymore! Lol

Epl, La Liga, champions league and even the SPL are higher on the list than Internationals for me!

The only reason that Internationals are good now is that they fill a void when the season ends with the Euro's or the World Cup!
PeterzeGooner (Arsenal) 2 years ago
Champions league is >> than any international competition. In terms of quality of football nothing beats the UCL. The recent World cup was boring I found the Euros more exciting but in comparison to the drama that unfolding in last seasons UCL even the Euro's couldn't match up
CarlCon (DC United) 2 years ago
In terms of quality, the champions league will always trump international football for the simple reason that teams like Barcelona can buy practically anyone they want. No matter how good Spain are on the international scene, they can't bring in a Messi, so they just can't keep up.

However, in terms of enjoyment, passion, fandom, and excitement, I don't think the champions league can compare to the World Cup. You can put the 11 best players in the world into one team, and they still wouldn't be followed as intensely as most fans will follow their country.

So while I accept that the better quality players can be found in the champions league, I'd take an Ireland -v- England World Cup quarter-final over any club team match.... Any day

Kick4Life - changing lives through football